Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Arcsquad12 posted:

So there was that rumor around last couple pages about Gundam Thunderbolt being adapted into an anime. Can I ask what exactly Thunderbolt was and where it fits with other series?

Not a rumor, an official announcement

Universal Century 0079. Federation troops and Zeon forces carry out a fierce battle in the "Thunderbolt Sector" in what was once Side 4 "Mua". The "Thunderbolt Sector" is a shoal zone composed of the debris of destroyed space colonies, named for the electrical discharges from the metal debris. MS pilot Io Flemming is among the Federation soldiers who are dispatched to the area, where Zeon sniper Daryl Lorenz awaits them on the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's gonna be a trailer for Gundam Thunderbolt before the theatrical premier of Origin 2, so we should get some deets then

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Missing Link posted:

He was a terrible pilot because he kept leaving his goddamn cockpit hatch open.

How else are you gonna yell at those goddamn kids to get off your Mobile Suit?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I really dislike Try myself but if all you want is fights and don't care about characters or context it might work for you. It doesn't have anywhere as good a fight lineup as BFclassic but it has something.

The fights in Try sucked tho. The Build Burning only did finishers

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

StrixNebulosa posted:

After wrapping G-Reco I thought I'd try another Gundam series I've never seen (before getting back to Zeta and watching all of it), so I picked up SEED to see if it was as bad as I've heard...

I'm on ep 2 and I did not know it was possible to make this plotline be so boring. The colony is under attack, the genius kid is trying to figure out how to pilot this gundam, and I'm yawning. The art style isn't very good. The fight cheroegraphy is boring. The dialogue is generic.

Does this show get any better? Should I stick with it at all?

It's strongest in the beginning, so if you don't like it now, you aren't gonna like it more in the future

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Every time anyone brings up the fact that G-Reco's pacing and plot might have been less than perfect, you have people rushing in to call them idiots because they were obviously too stupid to pay attention. It gets really old really fast.

It does seeem like a lot of peoples problems with G-reco come from them not paying attention, or being stupid, tho.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think filler started life as a term just to describe the anime only stuff included in long running shonen series to prevent it getting ahead of the manga. Then the term evolved to mean any episode where a main character isn't introduced or killed

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Oh my god they're keeping the pirate jazz station! and non-CG Mobile Suits!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Midjack posted:

i thought you maintained a strict no piracy policy

I stop reading scans if and when a manga gets licensed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tae posted:

Uh, does Thunderbolt take place in space Harlem or something?

There's a pirate radio station broadcasting jazz in the Thunderbolt Zone

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

EthanSteele posted:

Is Thunderbolt the one where everything has its joints covered to stop debris getting in them as fly around in space cos of all the wreckage and stuff?

yup

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Character art

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They're unocnerned cause they don't know what war is. They don't know about problems. Like the Japanese painting cute anime girls on their military helicopters

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

I would have preferred if they waited until thunderbolt was done and adapted all of it, personally. 4X18 has got to be the first arc at most.

They can always make more. Gundam Thunderbolt 2: The Gravity Front, next Christmas

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh man, non-CG mecha and characters that look like this? I am so excited for Gundam Thunderbolt. It's gonna be great

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

closeted republican posted:

If the Gerbera Tetra is a Gundam to monoeye trans mobile suit, does that mean the Dijeh is a monoeye to Gundam trans mobile suit?

:gas:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Erg posted:

ep. 3 of G. Reco had much less stuff getting thrown at you, so it was way easier to follow. It'd be nice if they explained what the racial epithet or whatever Kuntala is.

They will

Erg posted:

No idea why Bell and the others are so relaxed about being taken into the enemy's territory, I guess that's why they kept mentioning that the country hasn't experience war in a while?

Literally a thousand years

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Erg posted:

Dang, I missed the actual figure for how long. Okay that makes more sense

ep. 4 was also cool, I like the tropical/beachy vibe of the country they're in (all I can remember about the name is it's not Ameria or Goondala)

Capital

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

i don't understand the complaints that G-Reco is toyetic, like half of the backpacks don't even have toys, same with the rest of the suits in the show. also you're watching Gundam, complaing about toys seems misplaced

Especially because the constant introduction of robots actually makes sense and works with the themes and characters of the show. They don't know what they're doing, they keep churning out these unstoppable murder bots and then setting them aside because they literally don't understand what they're creating and the destructive power it has.

Also, lol at the G-Self pulling out "super robot BS" when, aside from the photon torpedoes, I'm pretty sure every thing it can do can also be done by at least one previous Gundam.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

I compared it to Lost in the sense there isn't going to be a payoff and you could tell from the first episode, not because of mystery box.

Dude, there absolutely is a payoff. The show is nothing like Lost. I'm not sure what you're expecting here.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

You not paying attention isn't a fault of the show

This really should be the tagline of G-Reco

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

Call it magic, newtype powers or technology, the problem is that it's use became asspulls , it ungrounded the shows and it stops being clever whenever it goes super robot. I don't mind the newtype stuff when it comes to empathy, telepathy, enhanced reflexes and spacial awareness. G-Reco is really bad at it as to presents some tactical situation that must to resolved then just pulls out random super power because. It's terrible writing.

The G-Self having a ton of abilities that manifest when needed is absolutely intentional. If Bellri knew what he was doing, and what he was capable of with the G-Self from the beginning, he could've just slaughtered the Amerian army in an hour. The revelation of the G-Self's power goes along with Bellri and the other characters coming to understand how bad war is, and why it should be avoided.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm willing to work with anything but giant loving space tyres.

Gundam monobikes? sure.

A Battlespaceship with wheels? fine, okay. Our pilots all under the age of eighteen years old being super space psychic aces. Alright. A man pretending a pair of sunglasses and a silly name is the best disguise gently caress yeah. THE EAST IS BURNING RED being a pretty bad rear end phrase yeah sure.

But the giant dumb tyres themselves being a threat outside the Gundam itself no sorry.

They're so goddamn effective, though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bikini commando squad. Bikini commando squad?!

Even in the show, people acknowledge that it was a bad idea.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

The MC Belleri has functionally no character development. He is the same half formed construct(An Idiot) going in as he is going out. The only permanent thing that ever changes for him is that he stops hitting on his Sister.

It starts with him just blindly accepting his little slice of the world as it's presented to him, and ends with him going out to see the entire world with his own eyes

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Most Gundam shows are good. Some are very good!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Tomino writes good female characters. Sayla, Haman, Elle, Roux, All the girls from Turn A, Shakti, Ana and Cynthia and Sara from Overman King Gainer, and all the girls from G-Reco, even if we clearly disagree about that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

At least he was being trained to be a captain, Mondo is the more useless of the pair.

I will never understand why that happened. They should've just thrown them out the airlock immediately.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

He knew when to quit and is still alive.
Not saying that he can't, it's when he tanks a female character he goes all the way.

You quoted two posts here. In one, you're taking part in a discussion about who is the least likable male character in Z and ZZ, and there's three real good choices because those three dudes are the absolute worst and everyone hates them

With the second post, you're arguing that the existence of intensely terrible and unlikable female characters in shows like Z and ZZ is proof that Tomino is a sexist.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Gai Trash and the Mack Knife are in my top five favorite MS of all times

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

Nope He use to be food or classed as food. It's that stupid. He wishes his back story was Burakumin since it would make sense.

No, Lanz is saying that the Kuntala are an analog or the Burakumin. An analog is a thing from which an analogy is drawn. He's not saying that Kuntala are literally Burakumin, but that they are analogous.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Recten is cooler than the Penelope.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There isn't a single UC Gundam design that wouldn't be improved by replacing the head with a Cold Districts/Command/C/Kai/Jegan/Jesta head

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Super Fumitan

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pureauthor posted:

I think it's pretty neat to see that he has actively gotten burned out and stopped giving any fucks

He really wants to bang that chick.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

chiasaur11 posted:

MSG had Ramble Ral on the one end, and the Luna II crew on the other, both relatively early. Yes, the Federation was the good guys, and Zeon murdered half the human race, but the Feddies had their share of jackasses, and Zeon had their Rommel types. And yes, later Zeta did have the Titans try to outdo Zeon in the obviously evil department, but they also had their side be the good guys from the last war, and Bright Noa only defected once the series started.

It wasn't like the viewer went "Who is good and who is bad? I have no way of recognizing this in a cartoon made to sell toys to children!", but both shows went out of their way to establish that decent, mostly reasonable people could wind up on the wrong side of the war, and that, although the big picture right and wrong was clear, individual incidents could be much more ambiguous.

Except if Kai should be a snarky rear end in a top hat at someone. That's always the right thing to do.

The episode about the Zeon soldiers trying to blow up the Gundam even ends with the Zeon soldiers saluting Amuro and the White Base crew's bravery. The politics of the One Year War may be black and White, but it's the series that shows good and bad on both sides more than any other Gundam, except Reconguista in G

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

That is pretty explicitly untrue. Some characters were swept along with the flow (Bellri) but the leaders of every faction, including Aida, had pretty firmly sustained goals and some were far shittier than others.

Turn-A runs into the same thing as a lot of Gundam shows where both sides have opposing interests but eventually they all congeal into a single protagonist faction opposed by the actual villains and maybe their screwed-up lady friends. Which isn't the end of the world but there are very few Gundam shows where you just run into a difference in conflicts that isn't resolve by protagonist-team. The closest is like... AGE and I don't think anyone needs to rant about how utterly hosed up Zeheart is in execution.

The movies fix it. They've patched that story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Sandman posted:

Having not seen Age, and having been warned thoroughly enough to not want to suffer through it myself, I actually would be interested to hear about this.

I mean, I've read a few things about it before, but all I can really remember is "MAAAAAARS RAAAAAYS!", "Genocide Grandpa", and "the third act's protagonist is like Kira from SEED, only somehow even more insufferable".

Zeheart is the series' Char, and is depicted as a generally reasonable guy. He's not crazy, he cares about his subordinates, he co-operates with the enemy to save innocent lives. Good guy. Then the head bad guy reveals his full evil plan, which is the dumbest, most retarded, murderous plan ever. It makes no sense and is just killing tons of people for no reason. Zeheart immediately says, "gently caress yeah, pointless murder! let's do it!" No explanation. He's just down for crazy genocide out of nowhere

As I said, they fix it in the movies. They add stuff that shows that Zeheart is super messed up by the deaths of his subordinates. He has dreams where they come to him and blame him for their deaths. He's super hosed by it. So when the big head bad guy reveals his crazy plan, Zeheart basically goes, "if this whole time we've been fighting for insane nonsense, then all those people died for nothing. I can't accept that, so clearly this is a really great plan in a way I just don't understand. I have to go full bore on this plan, because if I accept that it's a bad plan, all my subordinates wasted their lives."