Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

kamile being a huge douchebag who solves all his problems by punching people was awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really like how the tallgeese and zero gundam were somewhat logically super-powerful prototypes. the tallgeese was built, and then subsequent mobile suits were dumbed down from it because it was too powerful, and effectively impossible to pilot as a result. the zero gundam was designed, and then subsequent gundams dumbed down from it because holy gently caress this thing has a gun that can destroy a colony in one shot that's absurd no one person needs that kind of ridiculous firepower

zechs being able to pilot the tallgeese without blacking out was always incredibly badass, if also kind of bullshit

recently watched endless waltz for the first time and it was pretty cool seeing leos get animated with something resembling a budget

i want to see a gundam build fighters that is non-gundam suits only. gundam grunt suit design needs more love

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TNG posted:

I think taking it on a show by show basis is probably the best course of action. Mobile Suit Gundam's politics towards war are quite different than Gundam SEED's for example. I would argue they're much better too, and is one of the reasons I don't care for SEED as it exists in a very cynical post 9/11 approach to violence and intervention. Gundam, as well as all military sci-fi in general, exists under the banner of American military hegemony. In a Japanese context, the worst stuff tends to run the gamut from being dreadfully naive to outright pining for the days where their military could go out and kill a lot of people.

I generally dislike military fighting machines of all sorts, fictional or otherwise, because it helps reinforce certain narratives that our defense industry would love to keep going. It's all usually based on a buncha horseshit too, as one could see if you've ever read any thread glorifying the A-10 on these forums or elsewhere.

On the flip side, this interview with Tomino has an interesting quote about the 1/1 Odaiba statue in that he regards the big gaudy thing as a standard to peace because of its "toy colors". Now that's an interesting thought, as the last 2 decades of UC have very much tried to put the robots into a more "realistic" mode, or rather something that isn't a standard to any sort of peace but instead a piece of commodity fetishism that helps to make people think the JSDF should be remodeled into something a bit more aggressive or that the F-35 is not a tremendous waste of money, resources, and lives.

what if i just think big robots are cool to look at and a fun spectacle to see in action

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

I think war is bad AND robots are cool, personally

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

the robots are the least interesting parts of the good gundam shows usually

i disagree, in the gundam shows i like i feel like it's generally pretty even between the visuals and the writing. sometimes i watch more for the visuals than the writing (gundam build fighters, unicorn)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched like 10 episodes of turn a before finally conceding that it wasn't for me and stopping :shrug:

not that it really matters unless you want to get into the semantic difference between "a good show" and "a show that i enjoy"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tbh the only reason i stuck out with turn a for 5 hours was because i liked the robots and setting a lot

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The first episode of Try was pretty good wrt robot action. The rest of the fights ranged from mediocre to pretty good, though it never really hit the same highs that build fighters classic did (which also was way more consistent in quality! )

The big problem was that try would have like 4 mediocre fights in a row between the pretty good ones, while even the lesser build fighters fights were pretty entertaining to watch. Also build fighters was fun to watch between the fights, which Try rarely was

Try was kinda fun to watch as it aired but I definitely wouldn't recommend watching more than the first episode to someone (I really like the action in episode 1 though, I wish the rest of the show had stayed that good)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

feel good everything's okay Build Fighters :stare:

this is not the norm for gundam

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

I can't agree with that. When I watched it with a friend we referred to it as 'Budget Fighters' because of how little budget obviously went into the first half of the series, and too many fights in the second half devolved into 'throw away your weapons and just get into a punching fight with the enemy'.

uhhhhh it looked like a lot of budget went into it to me

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I still want a gunpla detective/gunpla mafia centered show

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the kind of serious moments you'll find in g gundam are the kind where one character has a pathological fear of clowns because in his childhood he went to a circus performance and all the clowns suddenly pulled out assault rifles and revealed themselves as clown terrorists

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

that Unicorn may actually be uglier than Destroy Mode :gonk:

What? Why?

What subtleties of robot design am I missing here? It just looks like the same unicorn, simple silhouette intact, with more detail added to the metal plating

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What little red warning stickers? It still looks completely white to me

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

Look at the Katoki Unicorn design.

i did a google search for that and came up with nothing that looked like a unicorn with red stickers all over it. i don't remember anything being posted in the thread that was a unicorn design with lots of red stickers on it. also no one mentioned katoki before you, that post read very much to me like they were talking about the already posted images of a unicorn model. what am i missing here? i'm pretty confused right now

is this supposed to be about destroy mode?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i like how the wing gundam is basically the least relevant robot in all of gundam wing

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So that is no longer available then?

Bummer

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

From a business perspective, is frozen teardrop popular enough to warrant an anime?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What are some notably good gundam grunt fights

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

That's the Turn-A with a couple of Turn-B's (think GM). They have no mustache and a visor instead of eyes, so are very obviously not the Turn-A.

I'm pretty sure I see a mustache on those

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Char is the single most popular gundam character and one of the most iconic characters in anime. He's so popular that literally ever gundam series has a character that is a direct copy of him.

He's popular for fairly good reason and if you want to know about him I would also recommend watching the gundam compilation movies over reading a wiki

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I would but all I have is crunchryoll. I managed to catch up on One Piece in around 6 months. I'm not scared of 50 episodes.

Actually this brings up an interesting question. What are the legal methods for watching the compilation movies + zeta + cca? My first guess would be maybe zeta is on the gundam YouTube channel, and I know cca is available as a DVD on amazon (that's how I watched it) but how would one legally aquire a means of viewing the subbed versions of the compilation movies? Is there a reasonable way to do so?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, but dude is watching Unicorn right now. Saying, "go watch these four movies and one fifty episode TV show" is not very helpful. Even though he really should, cause they're great. And it's not like Char as a person is very important to Unicorn, it's Char as a symbol that's the big deal

I'm more just recommending against getting spoiled by the wiki. As you said, chars not super important to unicorn, and actually watching the original gundam series is a surprisingly good experience for how old and not incredibly well animated 0079 is. What people have explained about char here should be plenty for what's required for unicorn

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is The Reason To Watch Wing in a nutshell, really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SloE7AjqI

wing is really one of the more enjoyable gundams for me personally, but you really have to be watching it with the right mindset

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think there's at least a couple instances of them showing that the writers were aware of how batshit the show is. to some degree it is intentional.

stuff like how heero's introductory new student speech about space war that ends with the teacher saying "i don't think this is a very appropriate subject for your introduction heero"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bimmi posted:

... this mindset being "was born in 1985" I would assume.

i was born a decade later so that's not exactly how i would describe it

weird assumption though?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are only people from the 80s allowed to enjoy things for being dumb and insane idgi

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't like wing as a 14 year old because I tried to take it seriously

It wasn't until I was 20 that I really saw the magic in it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite part of mobile suit gundam is when char betrays garma, then calls garma up to laugh at his (until now) best friend's imminent death

There's stupid stuff in gundam but tbh the stupid stuff tends to be what I enjoy most

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

they mentioned that lockon has a twin brother at some point in S1

i think he was even on screen very briefly

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't know if it would have been better or worse if they didn't call lockon's twin brother lockon

it would have been a little less blatant replacement

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe unicorn?

I haven't seen iron blooded orphans but it sounds like it's pretty accessible

Turn a gundam is also probably a good choice

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would recommend build fighters to someone looking for a good, fun anime, but i wouldn't recommend it to someone who's specifically looking for a gundam anime

build fighters isn't just tangentially gundam, it does a good job of making funny in-jokes and including lots of gundam references, but the actual substance of the show is not at all what gundam generally is, so it's not really a good entry point into the series in any way other than introducing someone to gundam's mobile suit designs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does giant robo have anything as comparably goofy as tequila gundam or mermaid gundam

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked the first 2 episodes of try, then some occasional ones sprinkled throughout

i think the one that ended the first cour/arc/whatever was good?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've always considered the criteria for char clone "evocative of char" rather than "is literally char with a different name." while there's lots of char clones that don't perfectly fit who the original char was to a T, pretty much all of them are pretty clearly a purposeful attempt by the studio to remind us of char, at least in some fashion.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't really view a lot of characters who are evocative of Char as Char clones any more than I view protagonist Gundams that are evocative of the RX-78 as RX-78 clones.

:shrug: if you did i wouldn't bat an eye, sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to call them to me

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Gundam X changes the script to "can the protagonists reconcile these two lovely governments to stop shooting at each other so their people don't have to die in a pointless war," which is a good angle.

isn't that also kinda how turn a works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there isn't a video on youtube showcasing ali al sanchez's dub voice and that makes me very sad