Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

According to their page for it it is getting a dub.
I will laugh if they manage to get both Ramba and Murrue's English VAs on this project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

OZC posted:

Sadly, they won't. They confirmed on Twitter that they're using the Animax Asia dub for this. So yeah, brace yourselves for that.

For anyone who hasn't experienced an Animax dub, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vdfIFZYJvw - ZZ Dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLI_d8dz8DI - AGE Dub
Dammit. So much for wishful thinking. :negative:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

and ZZ II.
So, where do the Z II parts end and the ZZ parts begin? Because it just looks like a Z II with I think the ZZ's shoulders. Not a whole lot of customization there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Half of the joke is that just as the Z Gundam's "upgrade" was the ZZ, the ZII's upgrade is the ZZ II.

The other half is that the ZII already incorporated a few design touches from the ZZ anyways.

Darth Walrus posted:

It has the ZZ's shoulder cannons/giant beam sabres.
Ah, now it's making sense.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone think thunderbolt will get a dub? Steve Blum as io Fleming
Steve Blum as the entire cast. :getin:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Also, Space Whale. Can't forget Space Whale!
Too bad the show did indeed forget about the space whale for roughly 90% of the runtime.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

We can just call him burger.
Or call him Mr. Wiseman. Hugo Weaving impressions optional.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So in things unrelated to the literal crazy person who sees fascism in anything:

https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/736005564740706304
I believe Paolo Cassius (aka, White Base's original captain) also does not have his own manga spin-off yet.

Unless Origin also takes care of that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Is that the guy from the island with the orphans?
Yes, the titular Doan from the infamous Doan's Island episode is getting a spin-off.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

-I keep thinking Buran Blutarch is Jerid and it throws me off.
I had that same problem when I first watched Zeta. I thought Jerid decided to cover up his identity for some reason, but no, Buran is a completely different character. It is not helped by Jerid and Buran having very similar appearances, all the way down to similar hairstyles.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

I prefer to believe Kai uses his newtype powers and the Nu Gundam's funnels to precisely shoot dozens of pilots in the balls at the same time. Really , super newtype powers opens a lot of doors for next level dickishness.
On the flipside, would you really give Super Newtype Kai Shiden the keys to Angel Halo?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

Char's Counterattack but instead of the twofold plan of getting everyone to leave Earth and having one last fight with Amuro, Char's dropping Axis entirely in the hopes he'll finally loving kill Kai.

Kai proceeds to shoot off the Sazabi's limbs and slap Char around with it's own arms.
I would gladly pay serious money to see Kai trolling the gently caress out of Char.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You just described half the Final Fantasy threads on the internet.
Only half?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

why do so many people who talk about anime on youtube yell into a mic from twenty feet away
Because stuff like a pop filter or proper audio mixing never crosses their minds.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'd totally be down with Angelo-Vision as a Blu-Ray extra for RE:0096. If only for the massive art style shift.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

early concept art of Loran.
I kind of wish we got Marty McFly Loran in the final product.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find that Quattro's voice actor for Zeta is really good for the character at that point. As Char, I'll go with the MSG, CCA voice actor. The Origin Dub is also surprisingly excellent.

Steve Staley is still overused and doesn't fit half the characters he voices. He is not the right choice for Shiro, he sounds too young and forced.
I'm curious as to how he'll handle McGillis in IBO's dub, since that's a more calculating and cunning character, let alone a supporting character/antagonist, compared to his previous roles of playing the Gundam protagonist (Shiro, Seabrook and Banagher).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Is the new Unicorn adaptation finished? I haven't followed that. I've been meaning to watch Unicorn (I tried years ago but I lost track of it after the fourth installment waiting for the fifth) and I figure I'd better watch the new version rather than the old one.
RE:0096 is just the original 7 OVAs cut up for a TV broadcast schedule. There is no difference between them, so you're better off watching the original OVAs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Worked for Macross!
Ah, but that understanding also involved pop songs winning over the aliens. Trailblazer did not have any pop songs being sung live during the battles. And I doubt Independence Day 2 won't have any either. Unless there's a surprise Jeff Goldblum solo we've not been told about.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

Waltfeld's wife.

Never forget.
The show did forget about her, however.

Hell, I don't think even Astray showed Aisha's corpse in the LaGOWE's wreckage, just DaCosta extracting Andy's battered body (and trying to stop Lowe and company from touching the wreckage).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I never read all of astray but I like the idea of Lowe being like a vulture to the archangel and just picking up stuff from all the suits Kira and co blow up.
And yet, Lowe doesn't salvage anything from the Aegis and just leaves it there to be junked by ORB.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The Aegis shield is recovered at least!

I assume they cleaned the guts off it.
I sure hope so, because if they didn't, I'm positive that'd negatively affect the resale value.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Monaghan posted:

Wow Yazan's design does not mesh well with whats-her-name. they look like they came from two different shows.
Super Robot Wars does this practically all the time, with maybe like one or two exceptions. You have stuff like Gundam SEED character design colliding headfirst into Evangelion character design or Crossbone Gundam character design trying to sit alongside GoShogun character design.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have all designs be done by Toshihiro Kawamoto, so there is variety but also similarity.
If we're going down that path, why not just go for Hisashi Hirai all over again?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

there's this as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrkwa2D4PY

I'm glad Cokkie and Cracker got into a school.
And seem to have scarves as big as they are. Also glad to see Combattler V's Daisaku getting some new work in an actual show and not in a pachinko game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

I really don't think its fair to have a Zaku that big and I feel like the chairman may be a real jerk.
To be fair to Mashita, he could have done worse. He could have summoned a Mega Size Deep Striker and drove the animators insane as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Not Dave posted:

I'm pretty sure most games rate just above or the same level as Revil, but still below just about absolutely everyone else that is a pilot.
Yeah, for instance, SRW usually caps Fa's Newtype level at 4 or 5, just enough to use some of the bigger Newtype dependent weapons in the games. Other Newtypes like Amuro and Kamille almost always cap out at level 8, by comparison.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I wouldn't put too much stock in SRW rankings. This is the series that has never given Ciela Lapana a single level in Aura Power ever.
True. This is also a series where Leina Ashta can somehow cap higher in Newtype skill than her more famously powerful brother.

And also where Monsha can be rewritten into a semi-decent human being, no less.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am still trying to comprehend Quattro's posing. What exactly is it supposed to be?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

We don't know much, if anything, about Char between Zeta and CCA, which is one of the big reasons why his character is a subject of such intense discussion thirty years on.
You'd think by this point, with all the attention early to mid Universal Century Gundam gets, there'd be a manga or a light novel that explains what Char was doing from 0088 to 0093. But strangely Sunrise hasn't opted to go that route yet.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

muike posted:

Unicorn feels like it's going to bust out footage from Zeta or ZZ at any point like it's some kind of recorded footage to show at Captain Kirk's trial.
Isn't that what The Man Who Could Not Ride The Rainbow does?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

Theres no rule that says a dog can't be a newtype.
And yet, all we've seen are Newtype dolphins and Newtype monkeys.

Where are the other Newtype animals, Sunrise?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So if I'm understanding the previous comments correctly,
/\ this is basically the highlight of Island Wars. Right?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was CCA always intended to be a film, or was it similar to F-91 where it was supposed to be a larger series before getting chopped down?
As the story goes, CCA was a project that Tomino was planning during ZZ's development, and subsequently negotiating with Sunrise execs at the same time as directing ZZ. Part of the tone change in ZZ around the midpoint was apparently due to Tomino getting the green light to go ahead with CCA, resulting in him changing directions with ZZ to better lead into CCA.

Now, there's also a novelization called Beltorchika's Children/Hi-Streamer written by Tomino that changes a bunch of details (Nu Gundam and Sazabi don't exist; Hi-Nu and Nightingale are Amuro and Char's respective Mobile Suits) and characters (I believe Gyunei, Kayra and Chan do not exist in the novel and were all created for the movie) and IIRC, is what Tomino wanted to do with CCA but ultimately did not. Think of it as a quasi-director's cut version of events. This version ties more directly with the Hathaway's Flash novel due to the big changes, with Hathaway being the one to kill Quess instead of the "Chan kills Quess-->Hathaway kills Chan as a rational followup response" sequence like in the movie.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

there were two novelizations, Hi-streamer came before the movie and Beltorchika's children after. They are not the same thing.
Ah, I thought they were the same thing but with two different titles for some weird reason. My bad.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Abyssal Dision, what are you doing here? This isn't Ace Combat.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

You don't know the horror you wish upon the world...
As much as I'd also like to see the mountain of madness that is Frozen Teardrop animated, even I know that Sunrise would scale the insanity back to some degree. The actual presented product would not be quite as insane as the novels are, thus taking away from the full FT experience.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Frozen Teardrop is the absolutely insane novel sequel to Wing where the writer heard everyone call wing wacky and proceeded to crush a pen and shout "I'll show THEM wacky, I'll show THEM ALL"
Case in point: Zechs' daughter (who looks a lot like her aunt Relena) has a crush on Duo's son (who looks a lot like Duo), and decides the best time to invite him on a picnic is in the middle of a mobile suit battle. No really, she straight up sets up a picnic while mobile suits are fighting within several hundred yards or so of their location.

It's also the original Wing writer (aka, the one who got fired early on during the TV series' production) retconning a bunch of random crap into Wing's universe via a metric fuckton of flashbacks. Like how Trieze was sexually assaulted by his mother as a child because he looked a lot like his father. Or how the only reason Duo hooked up with Hilde was because his motorcycle broke down and Duo needed the cash to fix it, and promptly leaves Hilde and his son once said motorcycle is fixed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

So by God of death he meant God of deadbeat dads?

Poor Hilde.
Yeah, as crazy as Frozen Teardrop is, there a few points that really are genuinely bad. Such as turning Duo from the chipper nice dude who helped hold the team together into a bit of crappy husband/father who would walk out on his family just to ride his motorcycle across Mars.

Even Duker Iq would call Duo out for being that much of a douchebag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Srice posted:

F91 still has a stellar first act. Shame about the rest of the movie!
I like to think that the first part of F91 was the amount of scripting for the show that had been completed, given how well it flows and sets up the premise.

Then stuff falls apart and we get things like Cecily's foster father dropping to the floor dead for no explained reason.