Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

This would literally be Bright sitting in a room talking to people with a bunch of jump cuts to flashback sequences, so the production values could be super low and involve a lot of recycling old footage.
Which means they could fart it out in a week with almost no effort, but still manage to milk the time periods for more revenue. A win-win for Sunrise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, it is a bit odd, but it's probably since they wanted to have a girl in the main cast, and the Gold Frame is one of the more popular suits associated with a female pilot.
I'd argue that Rising, Nobel and Impulse are more popular than Gold Frame, or at least, are what comes to mind when discussing "popular/recognizable mobile suits with female pilots". I mean, Impulse takes things a step further and keeps the theme of protagonist suits intact.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

It is?

Huh. Then I have no idea at all why they picked it.
Shenanigans using Mirage Colloid? Which then leads to question of "Why not use the original Blitz Gundam instead?". The only other thing I can think of that'd make sense is cross promotion with something Astray related. There is a new Astray manga coming up, I think?

Ka0 posted:

Nothing from g gundam is even remotely close to be considered "popular", on the scale of Wing or unicorn anyway. If you want that angle try the Gerbera tetra or Qubeley.
I left those two off because they were in the last SD Gundam Three Kingdoms show (or at the very least, the Qubeley was). I figured Sunrise would want to not repeat Gundams/MS for future titles to avoid confusion.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, Wing Zero hasn't been done before? That's a huge surprise to me.
You can tell how much I watched the show, because I literally forgot that. And even read and posted in an LP thread where said series was featured, no less. :ughh:

Ka0 posted:

The way Bandai has handled Wing is nothing short of shameful. It's certainly up there with the big fat popular franchises, and we've only just recently started getting grunt gunpla kits and no other media save for a side cameo ala Build Fighters. I wish I could grab the whole board of directors and throw them off a airplane midflight with the chairs and table attached.
To be honest, you should also throttle Heero's VA/noted super fan Hikaru Midorikawa as well. You'd think he'd have enough pull within the company (given how easy it is to hire him for gigs) to at least have some influence over the Gunpla division, but apparently that isn't the case.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

taichara posted:

If you have a source or even a semi-source for another new Astray series I'd greatly appreciate it; I was all but certain that Sky Princess was the end of the road.
I was thinking of Sky Princess, since I had no idea that the Astray series was still going after all these years until someone posted a tankoubon cover earlier in the thread. My bad.

Still wouldn't stop Sunrise from half-assing a tie-in into SD Gundam, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If only Uniqlo things fit me...
Not emptyquoting.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I imagine an srw would require punching both Mika and Orga and explaining to them to chill and have some ice cream for a few rounds.

That or Biscuit returns somehow.
Yeah, Biscuit would 100% be a saveable character. Or they could go the SRW MX route and have him just live automatically while another series' tragic death gets played out in full, player-controlled agony.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or Mika meets Setsuna and gets MUCH WORSE.
Plot twist: Mika meets Prince of Darkness era Akito, and is the one who gets Akito out of his emo funk.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

There's also all the nonsense Char pulls in Z3.1

Char does an Axis drop but actually his real plan is to do the CCA averting of the Axis drop because the massive Psychoframe light thing would help everyone escape from the Time Prison that the entire Earth has been put in. Also IIRC it turns out he never actually planned to drop Axis, just simulate its drop and the only reason it became a real danger was because Full Frontal is also around and hijacked it because in Z3 Full Frontal is a weird conglomerate avatar of all the lovely stuff Char Aznable ever did in any universe. Also the Antispirals attack.

The weird jankiness of Z3.1 and Char's role is also the reason why the Alpha Azieru has oddly been a unit you could get in the last few SRW games.
Then SRW D gives us probably the best and most hilarious version of the Axis drop:

So, in this game's backstory, a lot of stuff has played out like the canon shows (i.e., Four and Rosamia are dead, both Purus are dead, etc.) and of course, Char decides to drop Axis like in CCA. Only, he doesn't openly taunt Amuro by revealing his plans before dropping Axis. No, Char does the absolute smart thing and has Amuro (as well as Bright, for that matter) imprisoned so that he can drop Axis without anyone getting in his way. Unfortunately, the original villains of the game, called the Ruina, decided that they'd like to dunk on Char very early (remember, this is all backstory stuff, not in-game content). They use dimensional shenanigans to phase the Earth out of its location, causing Axis to drift harmlessly to the opposite side of Earth's orbit before placing the Earth back where it usually is. Sadly, we are denied Char having to face Amuro and Bright right after his careful planning blew up in his face, and Char's special guests doubling over in laughter at how big of a fool Char got made into by the Ruina. The best part is that the Ruina don't reveal they're the ones who screwed up the Axis drop until very late in the game, so for most of D's runtime, Char has had no idea who messed up his plans.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Also in SRW D the people Char hands Amuro and Bright over to are OZ, because SRW.
SRW D is a weird little title, not just for plot, but also for unit acquisition. The various Victory Gundam models are treated as separate units, so the base Victory is one unit while the Victory Hexa is...the exact same thing with a different sprite. And the game just gives you the MP Nu Gundam with very little fanfare (or if it does point it out, it is very blink-and-you'll-miss-it), to the point I only found I got the thing after a route split and was shuffling pilots around. And there's Haman Karn and her Qubeley, who is a secret only acquired on a New Game+ file, and also only if you dump kills into Char, Kamille and Judau. Like, there are little extra scenes added in to the plot involving Haman that you can only see on a NG+ run, it is very weird overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Speaking further of Victory Gundam weirdness, D also kills off Oliver, but at the hands of...IIRC, either Lupe or Farah instead of him crashing a Core Fighter into a ship. Meanwhile, Junko and Odelo survive without any issues nor does the player have to do anything to keep them alive.

Omnicrom posted:

Apparently Haman can be earned on a first playthrough, it just takes a ludicrous number of kills on the necessary pilots (Char, Amuro, Camille, and Judau).
Huh, I did not know that. I knew about the kill count, but that secret got seemingly updated since I last played, from what I can tell.