Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the entirety of Thunderbolt going to be 18 minutes? Or are there going to be multiple 18 minute episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tomino also makes great use of international casts. Not dubs, mind you, but he does make an effort to introduce multi ethnic characters to his shows. It's something I really like because why the gently caress not? It's space, let the space mexicans have kids with the space Japanese and come out with Ryu.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sunrise already gave you guys the licenses to dub most of the Gundam series in English, what more do you want?

The Ocean dub of DBZ Kai to see the light of day? A Gundam series with Scott McNeil as the protagonist and not just a supporting character? More Space Australians from the Dobsons?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When the Big Zam started to crumble, loving Dozle got out and started firing a tommy gun at the Gundam out of sheer spite.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still hold the original Gundam's fights pretty high. Nonexistent budget but it's the only show that has a Zaku kick a ball into a GM, or the goddamn amazing RX-78 vs 8 Rick Doms and 3 Musais fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have you ever wondered what would happen if Gundam had a baby with Macross and plastered it with Star Wars?
Thought you guys might like this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have little doubt that they will eventually do more Origin stuff. It makes money selling toys, so they'll do it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the Origin soundtrack is loving amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So The Force Awakens reminds me an awful lot of a hybrid cross between Zeta, ZZ and Unicorn. That is it is quite good but I found a lot of similarities. Anyhow, back to Gundam Chat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus, Io is a loving rear end in a top hat. I love it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

That's because when poo poo goes bad, Amuro descends into paranoia, Char descends into nihilism, Bright descends into exhausted frustration, Kamille descends into anger, and Kai descends into sarcasm.

And then he kicks people with a Guncannon and pushes them off cliffs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raxivace posted:

Kai grew up to be James Bond. He would never stay tied down to Fraw.

He even had his own Vesper Lynd.

And then the White Base moved onto Jaburo because Kai didn't need a whole episode of moping to get over her death.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Should be a rainbow. That Bright cannot ride on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel bad for Dozle. He's one of the nice Zabis, but then Kycillia had Sasro assassinated and formed a rift between Dozle and the rest of his family. He seemed like a nice guy in The Origin but then he just turned so bitter after Sasro's death and Kycillia's jackassery.

Plus he went out like a badass.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine he was always like that, fanatical supporters of a charismatic individual always think of them as good saintly people.

Forgive the IRL examples here but The Duke of Wellington loving hated his wife after marriage because just marrying her was getting back at being turned down before he got famous and well Napoleon despite sadly leaving his barren beloved had no issues at all telling his siblings to divorce their common spouses for European Royalty. And those are the minor issues.

Inversely, you can look at incredibly lovely individuals and overlook their positive (sometimes vital) aspects because of how terrible they were. A guy like Franz Ferdinand was undeniably a terrible human being who slaughtered half a million animals via hunting with machine guns, was a gigantic racist and was generally hated by both the Austro-Hungarians and the rest of Europe.

He was also the only person opposing field Marshall Hotzendorf's attempts to start a war in the Balkans, and actually wanted to create a tripartate Empire with Serbia as the third party, despite his disgust against their people.

It's something I really like about Gundam that you can see more than one side of a character, despite the odd Colonel Killing or the entire cast of Wing. They're human more often than not and have both good and negative traits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, but what about curvy spikes?

Glorious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone have the gif of the Type 61s ambushing a Zaku II?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yessssss...

That gif will never not be funny to me. It's like a looney tunes joke with the timing. Also, Gordon Lightfoot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't like the Gundam samurai head/V-fin/beard (GM heads are way cooler) and the red/white/blue/yellow colour scheme which tends to make them look like cheap 80s toys. There isn't a single UC Gundam design that wouldn't be improved by replacing the head with a Cold Districts/Command/C/Kai/Jegan/Jesta head, and every red-white-blue-yellow mech except the Turn-A would look better with fewer/less primary colours. :colbert:

Counterpoint: the muted off-white Ez8 and RX-79 Ground Types.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That's okay, talk all you want, I love it too. Everyone should!

:can:

Looks like an F-91 collided with a bird. Looks really neat though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The_Rob posted:

Is there a place to watch thunderbolt? I really like the art style and the animation and I want to check it out.

They had a window of about two weeks where you could watch the episode on Youtube with subtitles. It'll probably be the same for episode 2, initial release in Japan, and then a two week subbed window.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

I don't know why people feel compelled to watch the entirety of something they're clearly not enjoying, yeah.

Well, I pulled myself through Code Geass, and it wasn't until the season 2 episode 1 nosedive that I was put off the series entirely.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wish he'd stuck around more, but alas, he was too good for this world. How is Sleggar in The Origin, might I ask?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Big... Dog posted:

I've got a couple of episodes of The 08th MS Team left to watch, and it might be my favourite Gundam series so far.

Everything after loving HOT SPRINGS ON MOUNT EVEREST WHAT THE loving WERE THEY THINKING is a bit of a downwards slope in quality barring the best grunt fight in franchise history. Skip the compilation movie miller's report as well, because it is literally just a clip show interspersed with some new footage that only creates bigger plot holes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAPF6NND70w

So this is kind of amazing. 0083 might be a crap story but it's music is brilliant, and this cover doubly so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought that the Feds in the region were especially well equipped because the colony from the Thunderbolt Sector was pretty wealthy, so they were able to get their hands on better equipment to take their home back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wing does have the best grunt suit designs. Those Leos are fine but their air combat suits that look like fighter pilots are rad as hell

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The mobile dolls are about the most legit thing in Gundam wing. They're disturbing to think about because it is quite literally commenting on Gundam's toy franchise and how hosed up it is to pit empty suits against living people. And then treize waltzes in and blows them up because automated combat isn't honorable enough

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

What about the White Doll?

Don't you mean the Trojan rocking horse?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm rewatching 0083 because it is drat pretty if poorly written. I can't help but feel that Keith would have been a better protagonist than Kou. For one thing he's not nearly as much of a wimp with a lovely haircut.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bimmi posted:

the lowest bar.

True, he's by far the worst pilot protagonist in the entire franchise. But at least Keith is fun and not a pathetic Dragon Ball Z pun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

He also has better taste in women, and spends less time wrecking priceless prototype mobile suits.

gently caress me Nina and Kou are bad. And Monsha. But I do like most of Stardust Memory's supporting cast. South Burning! I also watched 8th MS Team recently and I caught the 0083 shoutout with South's MS team heading out on patrol at the beginning of the second episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"I'm the enemy, you idiot!"

loving Kou, man. And then Nina deciding to withhold her information about Gato despite saying his name out loud!? loving hell, people. Though I think that second one was a dubbing error, but still. The plot of this show is so scatterbrained but it is so damned pretty to watch. Like a gloriously animated trainwreck.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bimmi posted:

Cima Garahau is the only halfway decent character in the whole thing.

SOUTH BURNING. Seriously, the guy is awesome, and he tries (in vain) to make Kou a better soldier and is actually smart.

EDIT: Aim for the shield! Oh god, I forgot so much about this show. The shield is the weak point!

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 21, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know a lot of you guys dislike his designs but I think that katoki's redesigns of the crossbone mobile suits are an improvement over the gaudy art style of the Manga.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess I was talking out of my rear end when I said that South Burning's team had a cameo in 08th MS Team. I could have sworn I saw an RX-79 unit with 04th markings, but nope, looks like it was the 06th team that constantly popped up in the background.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
0083 episode 4. Monsha is loving terrible, but he does have one good line.

Keith: "Sir, they prefer to be called Spacenoids, not Space Men."

Monsha: "Fine, it sounds stupider anyways."

And then the Albion calls up Monsha just to say that Burning is pissed off at him for being a fuckup. I love Burning.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kuvo posted:

what the hell are these things

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone have that screencap that juxtaposes Amuro and Char's conversation in Zeta with Char from counterattack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xinder posted:

Oh poo poo, I had completely forgotten about that scene in Zeta. This is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQj2zqqSIks