Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Midjack posted:

Gaia Gear with didgeridoo accompaniment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPOj58fNwrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also Tomino portrays characters that are pretty varied in personalities and differ a lot from the Anime Norm, so a lot of people have trouble grasping the characters and characterize them as "weird robots" or what have you. I don't think that's true, but I also think it's good to have watched/read stuff outside anime to really "get" Tomino's characters.

Anyway, all the Tomino Gundam shows are great, although only Turn A and G-Reco are lighthearted and only G-Reco is energetic. His non-Gundam shows vary a lot more in quality, and in how dark they are.

Edit: Kanos is right about the lack of exposition. I think the original Gundam is the only to get a big narration at the start (one of the best).

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 27, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Another way to describe Tomino is that he's 70s as gently caress. Even his later shows still have that 70s feel.

closeted republican posted:

I found that most of Tomino's Gundam shows are pretty comprehensible intros from a newbies POV.

MSG has the luxury of an intro that straight-up tells you "there is a war in space where evil space dudes with giant robots are killing people and chucking giant space stations at Earth", Zeta makes it drat clear who the bad guys are off the bat because there are dudes with black uniforms that grin like gangsters and establishes Kamille as a "troubled youth" because of his little temper tantrum rampage on Jerid and the Titans MPs, ZZ intro is easy to understand because of how simple it is, and F91's colony attack makes it super simple to figure out that the dudes piloting the gas-mask robots are evil and that the Federation is incompetent. Tomino's shows don't have some dude popping up and saying "Hello, I am from the Titans/Axis Zeon/Crossbone Vanguard and here is exactly what we are trying to do" in the first few episodes, but it's easy to figure out the basics of the story just by watching.

I think Tomino does stumble with revealing motivations at times, like how the only talk we get about Jamitov's true intentions is some speculating Paptimus does at his Pimp Pad with Sarah about Jamitov wanting to bankrupt the Federation (which turns out to be true in the novels), exactly why Glemy wants to overthrow Haman, and why Agrippa took over while Dianna went off on her boondoggle quest to resettle Earth (or was that because of the poo poo subs I had?).

Victory, though, is very much in the G-Reco mold in regards to exposition.

The Colonel posted:

If you like the character designs, that person also did the designs for Eureka Seven and Overman King Gainer, the latter of which is a Tomino show that's apparently supposed to be very similar to G-Reco.

And Eureka Seven is one of my favorite anime ever made. I think it's very good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Amuro is a canadian hero. :canada:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Not any more! The Origin makes him Mexican, which is nice.

I refuse to accept these enemy lies. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Ocean dub of DBZ Kai to see the light of day? A Gundam series with Scott McNeil as the protagonist and not just a supporting character? More Space Australians from the Dobsons?

A dub of Turn A.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everybody do the Monkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc0rW5fsfxA

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Budget doesn't quite translate to battle quality though. Look at Victory: terrible budget, amazing fights.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gundam shows still usually have pretty good fights. G Gundam used over-the-top moves and characters to carry the show, Gundam Wing had bad fights but amazing still frames (very stylized), I can't remember a single fight in Gundam X but the fun characters was basically the only reasons to watch the show (not enough Mad Max in this post-apoc anime) and the problems with most post-2000 shows have already been mentioned. The rest are usually good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Or Kai Shinden kicking down that Zaku.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh3iG61loYg

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just felt like listening to Star Children. Gundam should embrace it's 70s roots more.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One of the reasons I love Origins so much is that it fully embraces the 70s sci-fi look. It has a place next to my Moebius and Mézières comics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

Gundam Sousei

Gunota no Onna

The Plot to Assassinate Gihren

The Plot to Assassinate Gihren is really good. It would have been m top choice for the OVA.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My favorite page in The Plot to Assassinate Gihren has surprisingly little to do with the plot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It is good to see Zeon scum get their just desserts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Azubah posted:

I like how they were upset that someone had the audacity of taking down one of their own after sniping the poo poo out of their opponents.

I don't feel any pity because they're all assholes.

They're literally sitting in the grave they made of their opponent's home and feeling righteous.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember the artificial limbs, the talk of weird experiments, and the fact that they're literally called the 'Living Dead'? These guys are just as much victims of the war as the Moore Brotherhood. Getting slowly murdered by a Gundam is just the runny sauce on the poo poo sundae that is their lives.

Later in the manga, they're willing to blow themselves up rather than suffer the "dishonor" of being made prisoners. One of the federation dudes makes a big speech about how they should stop murdering each other, but it only stops like four of them. The rest keep fighting till the end.

Fascism is a hell of a drug.

Edit: fixed spoiler bracket.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 27, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I know, I've read the manga. And the Feds don't come off too well in that scene, either. It's basically a few decent, sane people making a brief connection before a bunch of angry hardliners pull everything straight to hell.

That interpretation works only if the Zeon soldiers hadn't already been planning to blo themselves up when they saw that the ship wasn't exploding.

And the Federation has a much better track record of following the Antartic Treaty/the Geneva Convention than Zeon too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I feel like Tomino was watching a lot of european war movies when he made F91 and Victory. It very much feels like one of those, except in space.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8LtNBpqc_M

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Reds posted:

Zanscare are the most crazy out of the UC Gundam factions. They're completely insane.

As it turns out giving independence to the colonies was a bad idea because with they keep installing monarchies and cults as their leaders.

They're basically Space Isis.

Hmm. There's seventy years between the One-Year War and Zanscare, much as there was seventy years between WWII and Isis. It checks out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I dropped IBO when the creepy space harem was introduced. From what I looked at the episodes that followed, I'm not sure I made the wrong decision.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The character interaction in those episodes are good. Naze is not and at best exists to facilitate some interesting character interaction.

I'm also not sure why you think IBO isn't my kind of show? Like the worst criticism I've had of it is that I think the villains are kinda crap so far and that Naze's a pretty lame character. Neither of which I think is a particularly unfair criticism. I'm not as positive as it as other people but I don't hate it at all.

I mean I'll flat-out say that, to date, I find Mika one of the better Gundam protagonists and absolutely the best iteration of the Tragic hosed Up Child Soldier archetype to date. He's a big part of why I enjoy the show because they're pretty dead-on about doing interesting things with him and having actual consequence to his actions. I also really enjoy the battles which work very hard to give actual weight and meaning to the violence and which have thus for not descended into meaningless battles just for a fight of the week. The show has a lot of extremely strong moments and there's stuff that I can't really judge because it's hard to tell where it will go. (Kudelia is a big shining example here.)

But Naze Turbine is a dumb character unless they do something interesting with him later that retroactively changes how I feel about him.

Yeah, except I didn't find Mika and his crew that good. They were alright, but not interesting enough to get me to watch through these episodes all about some nerd's creepy fantasy to have his perfect space harem.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The writer's Mari Okada. She might want a giant space harem of adoring women, but it's not something I'd immediately assume.

Surely, there's more than one writer on the show?

It's just that it's so unrealistic and fantasy and it's a focus for some time and urgh. Why couldn't they just stay on Mars? The first few episodes were good but it quickly dropped to "meh" and I just can't get why. The space harem is just a good marker for the moment I dropped it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ka0 posted:

They haven't shown him or talked about him enough to arrive to this conclusion. I think a lot of people are overreacting.

Maybe I am. I'm just looking for a reason why I'm not liking the show when I was looking forward to it and it seemed to start good. Kinda bummed out about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

08th MS Team has a similar gritty wartime aesthetic, plus the same sort of OVA production values. Iron-Blooded Orphans is much more traditionally shonen anime, and also much lighter on fight scenes but has a similarly unnerving protagonist, a similarly dark, uncompromising tone, and similarly brutal, horror-themed action choreography (though it's on a TV budget, without that lovingly-crafted OVA glitz). Outside Gundam, Cowboy Bebop and Armoured Trooper VOTOMS may also scratch Thunderbolt's itch.

VOTOMS, aside from being a pretty good show, is also pretty funky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwUlEoQqT8

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's pretty unfair to compare ANY char to Harry Ord. He's in a class of his own.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You know, a shot of Side 2 falling over Sydney would make an amazing promotional poster for a Gundam movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Like I said a couple pages back, fascism is a hell of a drug.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

G-Reco is amazing (though not perfect, it needed a few more episodes to breathe and a few less battles) and people who hate have bad taste.

Like, more than half of the complaints about G-Reco are nonsensical and the rest are weird over-reactions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

Please don't do this. I agree that g-reco is good but going "if you disagree with me you have bad taste" just leads to arguments.

You're right, of course.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The last ride of the Reinforce Jr is probably the best scene in all of Victory Gundam. It's also a complete reversal of the usual Tomino battle of the generations, with the older folk sacrificing themselves for the younger people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Reasons why Turn A Gundam is the best Gundam:

- It has some pretty great characters, that get fleshed out over the series
- It has a pretty unique and interesting setting
- It has great animation and designs
- It has a slow, deliberate pace that makes it very much a slow journey rather than a "must-know what happens next" race
- It is probably the most coherent of all the Gundam series
- It has an amazing soundtrack by Yoko Kanno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlITPE_k90k

"Everyone, come back! The Earth is a nice place!"

The thing is, if you go in thinking it's a normal Gundam show, you'll hate it, because it very much not one. It foregoes a lot of the "standard" Gundam tropes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lanz posted:

I can't remember, does After All turn up in the series or was that a movie only track?

Cause goddamn is that song beautifully melancholic.

It's the ending credits song of the first movie, and it's loving beautiful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

oohhboy posted:

The MC Belleri has functionally no character development. He is the same half formed construct(An Idiot) going in as he is going out. The only permanent thing that ever changes for him is that he stops hitting on his Sister. Has the worse A CHAR in Gundam history.

The battles are anti-SEED. Everybody fights because fighting, not really for any solid goals most of the time(Not even for SALT at times), there aren't any clever plans unless you count hostage taking or proper limitations to produce tension. Gundam will literally pull out BS super power out of thin air to get out of a situation and it's never mentioned again. As much as everybody bags on Kira "Jesus" Yamato, he goes through a lot of character development to get to where he is, which is something you will not see in G-Reco for anybody. Watch G-Reco only if you like flashy lights, it is the only Gundam series I wouldn't recommend for anybody.

None of this is remotely true if you actually watch the series and pay attention. Some of these are so plainly wrong I can't fathom how anyone could think them.

Edit: Like, all factions have clear stated goals, Bellri has a lot of character development, Mask is great and even if you don't like him he does plenty of stuff that puts him above the worst chars, there's quite a few clever plans and seriously are you just outright lying at this point?

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 19, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still don't get the common complaints about Tomino characters being weird. Do you, like, know real human beings? Who act on emotions and make mistakes? Cause that's usually what all these complaint boil down to.

It's like all those complaints about people not acting like emotionless player characters in movies: it's loving nonsensical.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

I really should stop watching these Zeta episode previews because of how spoilery they've been getting but I can't get enough of how angry the dub narrator sounds at the end of each one

"You will see the tears of time!" :argh:

It's like he's threatening me

I loved the intro with the soul definitely not a peace. Shame it's not on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

When people say Kamille was one day away from becoming a school shooter at the start of Zeta, it's not actually a joke.

Joining the hosed up space war actually did him a lot of good.