Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Writhe in agony! Suffer! Enjoy the ride. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

The soundtrack's good. And Dub Rau is glorious.

Everything else is the very definition of 'meh'.

Lacus Clyne is the best gundam villain.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Master Gundam

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Raxivace posted:

YouTube commenters would gas a space colony given the opportunity.

I would gas a colony full of youtube commenters.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Campbell Lane could read the dictionary and it'd be the most soothing thing.

"Insanity: The condition of being insane. A derangement of the mind. The Gundam Wing Boys are all insane."

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Raxivace posted:

He has too many plants on the second floor IMO.

EDIT: Is there even a door on that floor? How did he get those plants up there?

He rode the rainbow.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Dreams and Resolution. I'm not the biggest fan of GundamX (BlitzBlast has me beat by parsecs) but god drat if those openings aren't just so good on the ears.

Also good:
ZZ OP 2 (Silent Voice)
00 Season 1 OP 1 (Daybreak's Bell)
Victory OP 1 (Stand up to the Victory)
Wing OP 2 (Rhythm Emotion) When the zero system boots up at the beginning of the song, oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I love the transforming Wing and Wing Zero, they just look so slick. I also adore the Zeta's face place. Other than that, I'm generally more of a fan of grunt suits. I loved the Victory grunt suits because they were just so ridiculous, and the early AGE grunts had this neat bug/dragon like design that I'm a fan of.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

The worst Hirai sameface was Fafner. I've been playing SRW K and I literally can't tell the fafner characters apart. It doesn't help that Seed destiny is in the same game, but at least they looked drugged out while in SEED mode and are distinguishable...

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Relena Peacecraft is the best gundam character no buts about it

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

LuiCypher posted:

They're a safety valve. If criticism of Moon Gundam starts getting really harsh, Sunrise will surreptitiously slip in those two as the actual protagonists in the latter half.

More like if any criticism is leveraged whatsoever... in fact they probably just plan on doing it regardless of feedback. >_>

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Victory is... well it's something. You eventually begin to feel Tomino's hatred for everything sometime around episode 10 I want to say. I mean, it's there from the start, but it definitely settles in by then.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Gundam 00 is a pretty good choice. I mean there's SEED as well, but I might be one of the few people here who genuinely liked it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Turn-A may be able to self-regenerate but can it self-evolve and self-replicate?

Those are abilities of the dark gundam...

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Docker Iqq was the only good part of victory, you take that back.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Like Tomino as gently caress isn't even fair, because Tomino has actually done good things. GReco's characters felt alien, rather than just weird but human. AGE was better but it's like comparing a pile of bird poop to a pile of bird poop that has a curly fry sticking out of it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Speaking of how awesome Dub Rau is, I wouldn't want y'all to deprive yourselves. SEED was good, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Awfq95GSSo

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

There's always Paptimus Scirocco, The Man From Jupiter.

Basically, the UC always has terrible things coming from Jupiter.

Jupiter fucks people up because it's gravity is so much stronger than earth's so souls can't help but be weighed down by it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

ZZ had Haman Khan's Livejournal freakout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCHjp8rTOZ0

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

I've said it before, but I still find it hilarious that we've had several series by this point that are post apocalyptic in nature and pretty much all of them are nowhere near as bleak as SEED and Destiny are

That's because post apocalypses can only go up from there. SEED and SEED Destiny are very much pre-apocalypse if not for some timely action by Lacus Clyne (and her killbots) to prevent said apocalypse since just about everyone else has a massive murder boner.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

In the name of justice... and peace. The year is After Colony 195...

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

SEED doesn't require any buy in. Sure you miss some self referential stuff, but it's not like it's a detriment to the show. It's still gonna be soap opera as gently caress and if that ain't your bag, that's fine. But I loved it and it was my second gundam series. SEED Destiny though... yeah that needs some buy in to get "Zeta gundam but we hosed it up".

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Merilan posted:

I would honestly look forward to how SRW would do 00 and IBO; it feels like Setsuna's start in Krugis and the incident with the 0 Gundam could tie into some aspect of the IBO setting quite well.

Well if Bael is the first king of the Ars Goetia, who is the zeroth?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

They might do it once with a heavy focus and give you an IF Route where you choose King of Mars or gently caress the Monarchy routes.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_-aWNONz84

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

chumbler posted:

Pretty rude of the new Build Divers ED to be about how the childhood friend will never have a chance because the boy she likes is obsessed with an AI.

AI is the purest form of love.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I feel like the part where Uso vaporized bazooka-carrying-bikini-clad-women with a beam sword wiped almost everything else about Victory directly from my mind. I think there was wheel-robots.

How could one forget the man who brought the ancient tradition of motorbiking to Gundam? That's... about the only worthwhile thing from Victory.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

Why did mashmyre die so anticlimactically

because of stupid adults

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

[Moving this from general mecha thread]

Welp, 98 episodes later, and I have finished my rewatch of Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny. Was it as bad as I remembered, or had been led to believe? Not... really? SEED is very strong throughout, and while it may give you plenty of characters to dislike early on, I think they're very well realized in the setting. Looking at you Flay, looking at you Natarle. Sure the narrative fumbled the bag at some parts, which contributes to Destiny having a very weak ending, but when it comes to the core four characters, and eventually Shinn, I think they all have really great stories. and SEED itself ends really strong as the natural buildup of the war reaches a breaking point in which they almost never return from. It was probably a good thing for the Three Ships alliance that Patrick Zala and Azrael were so lost in the genocide sauce that they didn't realize who their greatest threat really was (it was always Lacus).

The bad parts are still bad, Mu being secretly alive and completely stripped of his humanity as Neo was not a good move, especially when no narrative time was really spent on it. They wanted the catharsis without any payoff for it, since his last real act as 'Neo' was sending Stella to her death. Rey transforming from stoic but voice of reason soldier to deranged Gilbert Gaslighter was also pretty lame and could have been done better. Meer's story was suitably tragic and I'll hear no slander about her. The ending was definitely rushed as it felt like they were just hopping from base to base, picking up weird and wild super weapons along the way because 'they needed to escalate and Durandal went from 2 to 10 waaaaay too quickly'. Like he always had rancid vibes, but he was legitimately charismatic, and really good at manipulating children (pause) to serve his ends. Also, might have tried to lean too hard on nostalgia with all of the Universal Century mobile suits just tossed into the mix on the ZAFT side.

As for the good parts, the early parts of Destiny are really strong, they develop the new cast early, and they hit you with the Drop of Junius Seven early on which really sets a strong tone for what Destiny is really about. That the war never really ended, both sides just needed time to replenish their weapons and try again. The peace they thought they had made, was nothing but a temporary ceasefire, and the one nation that could have helped mediate that poo poo decided it was a better idea to have all of their politicians go out in a blaze of glory and leave everything to a naive 18 year old girl. Whoops, great job there, mister father of the year. Uzumi Atha sucks eggs, that's for sure. I personally liked the direction, that all of the core four characters were running away at some point or in some sense. Kira and Lacus hosed off to go raise kids in an orphanage, Athrun discarded his name, and Cagalli eventually gave up when she couldn't convince any of her fellow politicians to strive for the ideals they fought for two years ago. Eventually circumstances forced them back into the conflict, but they weren't prepared to forge peace, they didn't want to. All they wanted was to put an end to the fighting, and Destiny felt like all of them finding a way to take responsibility for that.

I'll also say that I really liked Shinn's arc. He's been traumatized by the horrors of war, and it shows in his every action. Of course he wants revenge, of course he's angry, he has no healthy means to vent these frustrations so he joins the military. And all along the way, while he's becoming a war hero, he's constantly chastised by Athrun at every turn, who no doubt sees a younger him making the exact same mistakes, and so desperately wants him to realize it, but Shinn isn't having it. All he wants is validation, and he never gets it from his commander. Which is why Durandal had such an easy in for manipulating him, and making him into his favourite attack dog. "Of course your anger is justified, of course we want a world of peace, all you need to do is kill my enemies, and I'll make that world for you." Hook, line and sinker. And then with Rey hitting the gaslight button on him once he gets the Destiny, it was over.

It was a very enjoyable rewatch all in all, and definitely worth giving a try if you haven't already. And hey, you may hate it right out the gate, it is very heavy on melodrama, and that definitely isn't for everyone, but it works for me which is probably why I love it so much. The openings, endings and insert songs have a lot of great tracks between them, and there are a few cool mech designs in the bunch. Have some of my top threes as well, because why not.

Top 3 best scenes:
1. The Fall of Junius Seven
2. Kira vs. Athrun (Kira's death and rebirth in SEED)
3. The reveal at the Mendel Colony
Honorable mention: Yuna Roma gets Gouf'd

Top 3 worst scenes:
1. The Lion of Orb dies
2. Let's all go into the Neo Messiah on foot and point guns at Durandal
3. Luna being catty af to Athrun after catching Meer in his bedroom
Dishonorable Mention: Rey going full Rau Le Crueset because ?????

Top 3 characters:
1. Lacus Clyne
2. Cagalli Yula Atha
3. Shinn Asuka

Bottom 3 characters
1. Lord Gerbil
2. Yuna Roma Seiran
3. The first batch of 'Extended'

Best 3 mobile suits:
1. Destiny
2. Freedom
3. Astray

Worst 3 mobile suits:
1. Akatsuki (ugh)
2. Chaos
3. Buster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

tsob posted:

Lacus in SEED, Lacus in Destiny or Lacus overall, out of curiosity? I'm so used to seeing Lacus vilified or derided in various ways that I'm somewhat interested to hear what someone likes about her as a character; especially since I haven't seen SEED or Destiny in literal decades at this point and remember very little about her personally. I do like the idea of her character i.e. a child who becomes the symbol and reluctant leader of an entire resistance movement against an authoritarian government/war due to a mix of her father's death and her own popularity, and a major influence due to similar ages on the pilots on the forefront of that movement, but I mostly remember her as a being a device the show uses to shuffle other characters around by giving or telling them what they need in the moment and with little to no character of her own.

The start of Destiny with her and Kira taking care of orphans after walking away from power is about the most "this is a thing she likes or wants" element I can attribute to her, but neither her or Kira really seem that bothered about leaving that behind or wanting to get back to it either from what I recall, so it seems more like circumstance than anything they were actually attached to really.

Lacus in general I'd say. I do agree with the earlier comments that I wish we got to see more of her maneuvering behind the scenes in SEED, but one of the things that stands out to me is that scene where she meets Athrun in the opera house. She has the place posted with plenty of guards in hiding, willing to take the shot if they felt like Athrun was really going to pull the trigger, but she was able to face him head on and force him to really consider his doubts and what he was fighting for. (and subsequently ambush the tail that was following him). She's always been a character who uses her soft pop idol persona to hide the fact that she's motivated by her causes, and willing to do what it takes to see those causes through. I think that the fact that she can fight for peace even with those traits is fascinating and something I always enjoyed about her.

And the hints were there that Lacus was more than meets the eye from the beginning. She was always using her Haro to break out of her room on the archangel and gather information, while playing it off like she was a silly airhead. Her steel showed through when after being returned to Zaft by Kira, Rau launched an attack on the Archangel, and she shut him down immediately, since he was still playing the role of a good soldier and not a genocidal maniac. She also had good taste in building a resistance movement considering she basically focused on the desert tiger (who seemed to be fairly popular in some circles and had ideals close to hers), and Kira and Athrun who were the most impressive mobile suit pilots we'd seen up to that point.

For Destiny, I always viewed that orphanage stuff as the two of them running away. Kira was traumatized by the first war, and being in Orb was about as far away as he could get from it all. It was only when Durandal poked the bear and tried to kill Lacus that forced the two of them to act. She spent so time lost after building a peace that she didn't know what she truly wanted until that peace was threatened once again. I think everything that happened with Meer helped make Lacus more confident in her role as a leader, and more than willing to fight once again for what she believed in. I dunno, I just found that she resonated with me a lot.