Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In fairness to Nina, "actually maybe Monsha should be piloting the Gundam" is only a low blow because Kou has the emotional maturity of a toddler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

By the time I got to it all of the center seats at the only subbed showing in my city were bought up :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_ posted:

Zeonic has been translating the G Gundam story bible and

Govern of
Universe
Nation
Decide
Advanced
Mobile Suit

Once again, a lot of people owe Gundam Seed an apology.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Good soup! posted:

I really wish I liked G Gundam more than I did but yeah the fights leave a lot to be desired

as much as I kid about not liking it, I didn't have any interest in witch from mercury because I wasn't interested in the setting*, the character designs looked really dumb, and the protagonist looks like she has brain damage. Also, any time I saw a clip or something pop up on YT the descriptions were always like "(CHARACTER) SLAP A BULLY ON THA BUTT 😱😱😱🤣🤣🤣😱😱😝😝😝"

The LGBT representation is nice and I'm glad people are enjoying it because Gundam is cool but, man, it just seemed like it's the kind of anime that is not made for me

*not that every Gundam needs to be some serious rear end war drama but it just didn't appeal to me

Despite being set at a school, they really spend very little time on school work

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If it was a manga it would be in a magazine, this is going to just be on the G Gundam website. It really sounds like it's basically going to Imagawa describing more G Gundam lore he's thought up

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, I remember even as a wee baby child staying up too late to watch Gundam 0083 on Adult Swim, thinking South Burning's death was way too telegraphed. I had forgotten that his last 30 seconds of life are literally

1) "I have taught you all I can, now it's up to you to finish your own journeys"

2) meaningfully looks at a photograph of his estranged wife

3) "Boy, we sure have come a long way since the events of the first episode, haven't we?"

4) "Oh my god! I know Gato's plan! The ultimate target of Operation Stardust is" *explodes*

And he didn't even know he was about to explode. That was supposed to just be a normal conversation

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, episode 11 of 0083 is really bad. It ends with the revelation that Nina used to date Gato, which is so infamously stupid I think it makes people forget that the whole episode leading up to that point is just contrived nonsense about people not wanting Kou to pilot GP03 for no reason. There’s this whole MP character who just shows up an announces that he won’t let Kou pilot the Gundam and is super evil about it for no reason but the Kou gets the Gundam anyway.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ninjewtsu posted:

Honestly prospera's mask/helmet is kinda dumb looking

it's medical

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think the Gundam character who is most prominent in their own series but no one ever talks about is Saji Crossroad. Nobody ever has any hot Saji Crossroad takes, nobody ever brings up something cool Saji Crossroad did, nobody ever talks about a funny thing you can do with Saji Crossroad in Super Robot Wars.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

The worst thing in S2 is the uniforms, hideous.

You know it’s set two years later because everyone looks longer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Freedom has grossed over 4.5 billion yen in Japanese theaters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ok, even I wasn’t expecting it to be that good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gundam Seed Freedom is extremely good.

It really feels like they had a broad outline for a third season of Gundam Seed that they decided to do as a movie. But instead of becoming a confusing mess like F91, it works out very well by just forcing the movie to move at a very brisk pace.

It's hit a kind of sweet spot with the characters, where enough time has passed since the originals that they're willing to poke fun at their foibles while still respecting them and their journeys. And the new characters get time to shine and be memorable too, like Agnes Giebenrath, The Woman Who Causes Problems.

And the whole third act is just a fantastic spectacle. Every single character gets at least one cool moment, you've got Lacus doing loving Buster Machine poo poo, Mu La Flaga getting too drat old for this making the impossible possible poo poo, Super Z'Gok just absolutely wrecking a spaceport, Athrun doing the Overman King Gainer trick for fooling psychics, it's just so much and it's all very fun

And I gotta give a big preemptive congratulations to the winner of 2025's best Gundam character twitter tournament, Unnamed Dark-Skinned Compass Soldier! He gets 7 seconds of screentime and utterly dominates them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The subtitles definitely had some awkward phrasing at times. But the use of "mr." in that moment made sense

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I thought more about the movie. I know some people are going to try to say it's so bad it's good, but no it's just good.

What makes the movie really work is how strong the theme is and how integrated it into the plot and the character arcs. "You don't love someone because you need them, you need them because you love them" doesn't just rebut the bad guy's evil scheme, it also concludes all the major character arcs. And having that simple handle on pretty much everything that happens in the movie is what lets the movie move so fast and have such a large cast. All that spectacle is resting on that strong foundation

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Seed Freedom is an appalling mess of a movie, and the fact that we might've got less Witch because of it is almost insulting.

It's not a mess at all, it's actually extremely cohesive. There are plenty of reasonable criticisms you can make, but "mess" isn't one of them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched the last episode of Gundam 0083. Gato's characterization is inconsistent. Early on he tells the guys who help him get the GP02 off earth that they should immediately surrender, their part is done and there's no point in them dying. But at the end, after Operation Stardust has succeeded, he commands his whole force to do a suicide charge at the Federation Navy. His justification is that if even one guy gets through, they will be able to tell the galaxy what they did.

But that doesn't make any sense, the galaxy will obviously know what he did. The galaxy not knowing what he did is simply not an option at that point.

And on that matter, Jaburo not being the target doesn't make any sense either. Dropping a colony on Jaburo, sure, that was the original target of Operation British, it's the seat of the Federation government. It's a monstrous thing to do, but it makes sense. What's the point of dropping it on North America? The only possible reason is that he wanted to cause a global famine. And he's like, "others will carry this torch forward" or some poo poo, and it's like, what torch? Is it just genocide? Was that the part of Zeon that Gato liked all along? He was never in it for Spacenoid independence or mankind's evolution into Newtypes, he was only in it for the mass murder? That's the only way to square the poo poo he says with the thing he does.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Eej posted:

That whole area got nuked so uhhh, he's definitely dead.

yeah Foundation solved the Michael plotline very conclusively.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Gonna attempt to speak to this, but 0083 doesn't have the best script/plotting so its mostly just going to be excuses.

Gato I think in the OYW and maybe early on in 0083 is at least trying to act like he has noble goals and he's a majestic samurai man who just wants the respect he feels he and most of the Zeon soldiers were slighted from receiving. As the story progresses and he sees; the deals both Cima and Delaz have made to stay relevant, the federations gross divisions that allowed this bullshit to happen in the first place, and the fact that even with him "winning" and pulling off the operations he's stuck in the exact same spot by the finish. He's the last dude waiting on a suicide mission with no out, no glory, no recognition, no restoration of his "honor" and the nobility of the Zeon soldier. So in the last bit, he's basically lost the plot and isn't really the same dude. He's just here for revenge and bloodshed yes, he's out of options and what he says is no longer a reflection of what he's left with really believing in. His desire for them to go out fighting and maybe escape is a selfish desire for his legacy to be written by the losers not the victors because all he really wanted was to not be the villain even though its clearly who he and zeon are in the end. When he escapes from earth he still thinks what he is gonna do will make a difference and those guys surrendering will let them see the GLORIOUS FUTURE he will make. After he uses the Nuke and poo poo goes sideways, I believe he knows that won't be the case so why would he "lie" to his remaining soldiers to hope for a future where they can be seen as anything other than genocidal idiots, go out in the blaze of glory so you can feel your NOBLE spirit vs getting dragged by the world he couldn't change.

The alternative is basically your answer that the script and characterization is wildly inconsistent and Gato is just a really lovely villain the writers and directors couldn't quite decide how to present.

That makes sense, but why does he wait outside of the colony for Kou? It seems like he wants the big dramatic duel to the death, but then when they get hit by the Solar Ray, he leaves. Despite the fact that both suits were still somewhat operational after getting hit by the Ray, so the fight could have continued.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chrome line posted:

I THINK that bit was supposed to be them training to fight Kira, but it's a real failure of editing if that was the intent.

This movie is surprisingly incompetently made on a foundational level. I'm thinking about Athrun saying with afaict no evidence "We can probably assume they can read our minds. And if we assume that it's safe to say they can control our minds as well." I know that because I saw the movie! How do you know that, you weren't there!

He assumes that because it’s the only explanation for Kira’s actions. Their whole plan hinged on Kira going past the boundary, so they must’ve had some way to make that happen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chrome line posted:

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with Seed, is mind control a thing that exists in the setting before this? Kira is pretty clear in the moment that he sees Michael and is going after him, if I'm Kira's friend and I see him completely collapsed like he is after all that my assumption is going to be that he wanted to get the guy who's been destroying cities for months and maybe had a nervous breakdown, not that he was magically brainwashed

I think we can assume that at some point offscreen Kira explained what happened from his point of view, where his vision went all evil red when he suddenly saw the bad guy and started acting super irrationally but then it all stopped as soon as the Foundation were able to spring their scheme. So it’s reasonable to assume that some outside force was loving with Kira’s mind.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah in the CE timeline you really can’t be reaching back to be sad about stuff that happened in the past, it’s enough work just keeping up with megadeath events as they happen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I did laugh at the picnic scene with the Haros rolling around, because they rode a motorcycle there so Lacus had to have actively been like, “Oh Kira, let’s take some of these fuckin things with us”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Runa posted:

I'm now convinced SEED Freedom is good

(I'm not actually interested in watching it though)

You should, it’s very good.

And Seed Freedom is worth a watch too.

Edit: goddamnit Hammer!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Between WfM, SF, and Hathaway, Gundam has really been going great recently. The franchise has its ups and downs but this is definitely a high point.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Series feels in a better place than in 2015-18 simply cause it's feels like non-UC stuff is more viable and they're willing to take more chances than 15-18 due to Age being such a disaster

Yeah Hathaway and SF are targeted at different parts of the core Gundam audience while WfM was targeted at non-Gundam fans, and all three were great and succeeded at their goals. It feels like Gundam is in a very broadly healthy place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_ posted:

They're probably gonna make a MOBA as a second attempt to prop up the esports pillar of the Metaverse initiative, but otherwise, it seems like it's been a dud, and especially after it accidentally leaked a bunch of kits, it doesn't seem worth throwing good money after bad. Especially since the whole fad seems to be on the downswing.

A Helldivers style team shooter where individual matches contribute to big campaigns for territory on a persistent map would fit Gundam