Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The very end of Zeta is good, but a lot of the leadup to that is super painful. Mostly the Rosamia and Reccoa stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

So they'd tow them into place and then do resource extraction or they plant the Colony Builder onto one end and out pops a cylinder.

They must have been busy as hell between 0080 and 0087.

How many colonies were actually destroyed beyond repair? A lot of the destroyed colonies would probably be fairly simple to get in working order if they were just gassed or had a hole punched in them.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Oh... oh no...(who's Touga then?)

I guess it'd have to be Shaddiq. His shirt's open enough for it

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
IBO is still recent, at least until WFM is finished

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

drrockso20 posted:

the Isekai talk reminded me of this thing existing; http://androidarts.com/Gundam/Gundam.htm which I thought was pretty neat

That is neat, thanks for sharing

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Obviously Amuro became the golf coach at an elite academy in Japan

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I'm actually curious what the history of people disliking ZZ is. Everyone seems to agree that at one point it was thought of as one of the worst series, but I don't know where that comes from. Were there just a lot of people who bounced off the first 10-15 episodes?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I think ZZ has some stuff that's stronger than anything in Zeta, though I just didn't like Zeta all that much

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
It reminds me of some ZZ designs but I don't think that's it

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
They shouldn't change the art or animation style at all

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I think the movie should adopt the aesthetic of the original series to make sure fewer people decide to get into Seed to have context for the new movie

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
At least it seems like it's after the OYW ("eleven months after the revolutionary war"), which might make this one more of the more interesting One Year War spinoffs.

Probably not, but a girl can dream

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I also rewatched CCA after finishing ZZ on Friday. ZZ does not add anything to a rewatch, but a rewatch helps because so much happens so fast in CCA, you miss some minor details (like Char being a pedophile.)

I do think ZZ helps you understand where the world is at for CCA. I think it makes it less abrupt when Char goes from Quattro to dropping asteroids. ZZ shows the Earth Federation staying basically the same while Karaba and the AEUG either get reabsorbed into it or stop fighting, which is good for them but if you're Char and have political goals that are incompatible with that it starts making more sense for you to try and unite Zeon under you when previously you were working with Bright and Amuro. It's not a perfect bridge, but it makes a lot more sense than going from the end of Zeta to CCA

Also I'm pretty sure Gyunei is an adult man who is telling a 14 year old "You shouldn't like this guy, he's a pedophile. You should like me instead," which carries some implications

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The Origin (ova) definitely thinks Char was born evil, but also it thinks he's the coolest person to ever live. I think that's the biggest divergence from "mainline uc canon" where neither of those things are true.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The Origin saw the episode where Garma died and the bit where Char watches the funeral and says "It was because he was a spoiled brat" and just decided that was all it needed to know about the characters. So now Garma is very firmly a spoiled brat and Char can't stop killing people by tricking them into getting into vehicles that are going to explode

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Maybe it's just been too long since I've seen Char's Counterattack, but I definitely remember it seeming like Char cared about plenty of people in it. He didn't care enough about any of them to choose a different path, but that doesn't mean he didn't care

By the end of Zeta Kamille was in a really rough place even before the Scirocco brain scramble. If he avoided that but still went through everything else and was with Char the whole time I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine him working with Char on the Axis drop

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
https://twitter.com/kishigunpla/status/1697376995468808443?t=s5IxtNPoSNSVUyh-KAIi3Q&s=19

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
ZZ is good, though it's uneven. I like it a lot more than Zeta though

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing with Kamille and Char is that their relationship was largely based on Kamille calling Char on his poo poo. Like, all the time. Kamille's response when he was asked if what he knew about Char was "I know that guy. He was cool, but also he sucked a lot?"

It was even a big part of why Char liked him so much. Kamille was someone who didn't hate Char, didn't mind hanging out with him, and who constantly pointed out Char's flaws. It's a pretty limited set of people who do that.

Kamille calls him on his poo poo a lot, but they seem to broadly agree on their goals. Though I don't think it would make sense without a lot of setup, I don't think it's that hard to imagine a version of the story where Kamille goes through stuff and ends up siding with Char. But I definitely don't think he was ever supposed to be in Char's Counterattack, his ending in ZZ was clearly meant to be the last we saw of him. If anything Judau would make more sense there given his attitude at the end of ZZ, though that would also be a big stretch

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The recommendations in the intro are pretty good. IBO is probably the closest to AC, it's about a PMC of child soldiers that modifies their mobile suits based on the situation. 0080 is a 6 episode story that has a lot of focus on civilian life during mech warfare and spies around coloniesand is fairly subdued. Turn A is hard to describe, it's about Edwardian era aristocracies dealing with people from the moon coming down with giant robots. It's a lot more focused on trying to avoid war, and it's the best one though it's probably the least like AC. And you can always start with 0079, either the tv show or the movies. The show is better but the movies are also good

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Gripweed posted:

there is a compromise

This is worse than anything in Hathaway

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Spelling Mitsake posted:

G-Saviour looks better than I remember.

This looks worse than the G-Saviour does

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I do think it's a cool idea to make the mc of your sequel someone who hates the previous mc and wants to kill them. There's a lot of interesting things you could do there! You could find room to criticize the old show's themes, the ideology of the mc. Or you could go for a villain protagonist and have some fun with it.

I will never watch Seed or Destiny though so I'll never know how bad they hosed it up

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Uso is very well adjusted considering how much he suffers

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
ZZ is good, Victory is also good but dragged down by the misogyny and gender essentialism

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Unreasonably well adjusted, to be honest.

On the one end, you get someone like Loran who goes through some bad situations, shakes a bit, but he levels out and gets through things without major damage. On the other end, you have guys like Kamille and (outside of Gundam) Shinji who get a nonstop shitstorm and build up into a full on traumatic crash before any recovery is possible.

Uso, meanwhile, goes through the following cycle:

1) Uso goes out pretty well adjusted.

2) Something absurdly traumatic happens.

3) Something absurdly traumatic happens.

4) Something absurdly traumatic happens.

5) Uso freaks out.

6) Uso levels out.

7) Uso is feeling fine, ready for another day of absurd trauma.

It makes the constant horrible events feel much more ridiculous when things like carrying around his mother's severed head give Uso less lingering issue than Amuro got from, say, seeing a stranger try to kill him and die.

Uso is more well adjusted than is reasonable to expect, but he's still pretty hosed up by the end of the show. He's not exactly a happy go lucky kid by the end of things!

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I also don't believe this, but I do enjoy imagining Char trying to be a dad. Very fun mental image there.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
It's a legit last name!

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
You could do an interesting story about a descendant of Char grappling with his legacy, but Uso isn't doing that so it would be bad storytelling to make them related. Maybe Gaia Gear does that, idk

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

RevolverDivider posted:

Rau's fun and a great character, Victory is dogshit that is at least pretty funny to watch with a group which is more then some other bad shows.

It's also a good show to huff your own supply on and insist it's a misunderstand masterpiece and not a bizarre creator breakdown in slow motion stuffed full of bugfuck insanity and Tomino's weird off branch of misogyny in its final evolved form before he got it out of his system for a while to do Turn A.

Victory is a pretty good show. The misogyny drags it down a lot, but outside that (and I find Victory's bad gender politics a lot easier to ignore than something like Zeta) it's a very well made show that has some cool stuff going on.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
IBO is of the opinion that they made some poor choices in how they went about it and it cost them, but we're still clearly meant to root for Tekkadan as they fight Gjallerhorn

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

I do very much appreciate that the difference between IBO and 00 is whether you want all lasers or no lasers

The characters and themes and setting are all basically the same so that's the only reason you might prefer one over the other

e: this was a joke but clearly it was not a good one

chrome line fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 23, 2023

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
If nothing else there was clearly at least a little behind the scenes drama or the "open to interpretation" stuff wouldn't have happened. That could just be some executives not watching the show and being surprised to hear about the basic premise once the show ended (which would still be a big deal) or it could mean there was constant tension in the production between different factions at Bandai

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Tosk posted:

So I really liked Gundam when I was a kid and I remember enjoying 08th MS Team like ten years ago. I've just kind of had a hankering to watch some mecha recently and the OP seems pretty old, so I wanted to ask if there are any more recent thoughts on what the best Gundam series are? I think I'm still going to watch War in the Pocket first, but afterwards what should I watch?

Turn A Gundam. It's simply the best one, no contest. Some people say you shouldn't watch it until you've seen others, but it works just fine on its own. IBO is also very good the whole way through, and is a bit more of a standard Gundam show. It's also probably closer to what you liked about 08th MS Team than any of the other tv shows

If you like War in the Pocket and want more UC stuff you should ignore the OP and start with the 1979 tv show and just watch in release order from there. The compilation movies are a fair bit shorter and look better, but you're missing out on so much of what makes that show good. Lots of little moments and episodes that get cut that I think make the movies much worse. If you like that then you can move onto Zeta and ZZ and Char's Counterattack

Gaius Marius posted:

Votoms is great and has an insane falloff after the main anime.

I thought Brilliant Shining Heresy was pretty good! How can you hate an OVA where the space pope sends his cyborg assassin daughter after the main character?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Quattro is a Char in the same way that Harry Ord is a Char. He's clearly in conversation with the character but doesn't actually fit the bill that well

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Hathaway 2

Hathaway 2 save me

Save me Hathaway 2

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I wish Turn A had gotten 100 episodes. Not because it was confusing or rushed as is, it's very well paced, I just would like to see what they would have done with it and it would be nice to be able to spend more time with the characters.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I mean obviously. Does Jerid get a single W? He kills Four but I don't feel like that really counts

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Didn't Harry Ord fight Merrybell?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Yazan straight up refused to become a newtype, everytime he almost has a flash he's like "gently caress that i just wanna murder, not be connected to others"

I keep seeing people reference that but I don't remember it at all. Yazan was just such a nothing character to me when I watched Zeta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
This movie looks so bad lmao. Like, I have no clue how the story will be, I expect it will be bad but who knows! But visually this is a loving trainwreck