Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The voice actress had problems no? that seems like such an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Elle is top tier for surviving ZZ in the Mk. II. Not even e-machine could do it (though it wasn't really her fault)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

What was the main reason Gundam was not popular on it's original run? I've reread Gundam Sousei but it just mentions "factors". Was there an oversaturation of robot shows for kids during that time?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Only true men can appreciate the Bigro.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I've been rewatching plenty of AGE. On paper it must have been the nerdiest, greatest thing: starship troopers meets ender's game meets a jrpg. I wish someone would just rewrite the whole story. The grunt kits are some of the best in HG form.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Raxivace posted:

How would you guys improve AGE, while at least loosely staying true to the core ideas of the show? I know a lot of people think Flit just straight up being the final boss would have been a lot better, though having Kio or Asemu fight him would probably feel forced.

Don't have a raging misogynist write the story would be a good start.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Mr. Burning, meet captain Synapse. Together you'll launch in pursuit of Gato.

e: THAT DARN GATO

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I would buy all of the Zakus if they rereleased the crazier stuff, like the NT type Zaku or the Zaku tank.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Naze Turbine is honestly kind of a lovely character. He's basically dude Lacus Clyne.

They haven't shown him or talked about him enough to arrive to this conclusion. I think a lot of people are overreacting.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Judau knew what was up.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Just watch 0080 first, the happiest and most heart-warming story in the UC.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who tends to describe some of the simpler suits as "elegant" in the Gundam threads. Usually because I'm talking about either the Unicorn ...

Wait, the Unicorn? Simple??

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Didn't a japanese builder win by putting together a kit in an extremely polished and refined way. Most of the overloaded greebly monstrosities seem to come from the phillipines bracket.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

The first thing I'm gonna do when my Rodi arrives is change that dull green coating.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Don't let these guys scare you, Destiny is not nearly as bad as they make it out to be.

You should watch Turn-A gundam. It is the best show

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

A lot of strong stuff going on in Thunderbolts. Also, I caught a glimse of THUNDERBALL.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

If only I knew how to make gifs easily

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

RIP Chiaki Morosawa. Aortic dissection, the same thing that killed John Ritter, drat.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

To be honest if I were to spend an eternity trapped in some machine, I'd rather experience continuous pleasure, over and over.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I liked that they tried something different with the Vegans but yes, the oven mitts and fishbowl helmets weren't that great to behold. Neither were the lizard-insect inspired suits sadly.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake - anime

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I thought the ZAFT helmets contained all the head tracking sensors like modern chopper pilots use

I have no explanation for the miniskirts, other than

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

boom boom boom posted:

maybe a RG Blue Destiny Unit 1?

RG is turning out to be more depressing than PG at this point. It's a gallery of superstar gundams with the merciful inclusion of the Z'Gok.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I rewatch Zeta gundam at least once every month.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Technically both the Turn A and gundam X are grunts.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

WrightOfWay posted:

Gundam X is but there was only ever one Turn A. I guess Turn X could have been mass produced since no one knows anything about whoever built it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

tsob posted:

Those Turn-B's are completely pointless on the part of the manga artist and make me full sure a lot of people paid no attention to the show. Not that I got any of that for years myself. I just find it funny that people go on about how idiots don't "get" G-Reco when I'm full sure many don't really "get" Turn-A yet, despite being made 15 years beforehand. Most probably don't even get many of his UC works - myself included.

No need to kick me on the dick about it, jeez.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I wonder if bandai executives truly believe the world would forget gunpla if they greenlit a female main character in a show.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Kuvo posted:

starting watching victory and Marbet Fingerhat is the dumbest name since, well, Seabook Arno

Wait what about Katejina the sandy vagina.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

To hell with frozen teardrop. Adapt Gundam Developers.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

TheManSeries posted:

It doesnt help that the Neo Zeong high grade exists and is a joke about having too much money on your hands.

And space. I wouldn't know where to put that thing if I had it. The bathroom maybe.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AradoBalanga posted:

The artist behind the gag comic pages from IBO is moving onto RE-0096.

Here is the webpage in case you didn't make it your homepage or something http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/comic/20099

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

G Gundam was so bad.

I had such high expectations because everyone loves it so much. Conversely SEED did not give me prostate cancer like most were saying, possibly because I was expecting nothing out of it. You could say I curbed my enthusiasm.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Didn't care much for giant robo either. I'm just not into super robot shows in general, with exceptions.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm with dogsicle, I don't necessarily think this is about super robots per se. I think your tastes probably lean more towards the serious and nobody can fault you for that, though I'm guessing that because G Gundam and Giant Robo are explicitly not serious that you've given them short shrift. Not liking them is perfectly fine, but it's a shame to call either one of them "bad." And I know I'm not going to change your opinion of these shows, but I would like to at least give a defense of them and explain why a number of people do like them. To paraphrase Roger Ebert, you should judge a work based on how well it accomplishes what it sets out to do, and G Gundam knows what it wants to say and for the most part says it in style. Incredibly silly, hot-blooded, super robot style. And Giant Robo is considered Yasuhiro Imagawa's magnum opus for a reason, it's basically all the stuff that people like about G Gundam distilled into a more concentrated form. In both series, Imagawa eschews politics and realism for stylish campiness surrounding weaker plots that mostly serve to provide context and impetus for character development. At their heart, both G Gundam and Giant Robo are very much stories about their characters with a lot to say and the fun energy is there to get you on board to listen. Unsurprisingly, they're also both coming-of-age stories.

I've talked about Giant Robo with Bad Seafood before, and he made a very good point in that it's really about the importance of having good role models in your life. Which is why Daisaku seems less interesting than all of the grown-up characters who all have fleshed out relationships and backstories for the audience to latch onto. And it's also why those grown-ups repeatedly give him advice, or explicitly try to be good examples of the man he ought to be when he grows up--and, by extension, when the presumed audience grows up too. It's also a campy save-the-world story with a remote-controlled robot the size of a skyscraper and a bunch of guys dressed up like they stepped out of Romance of the Three Kingdoms going toe-to-toe with a variety of sharp-dressed supervillains wearing bespoke suits. That ends on a notorious cliffhanger.

G Gundam is also a campy save-the-world ecoterror story with comically racist punch-robots whose initial premise is literally a tournament arc, but with Gundams. G Gundam is also a story about emotional connections and communication as adults centered around a man suffering from arrested development, who is forced to grow up through both tragedy and the relationships he builds along the way. The most important of which is his relationship with Rain, one that's repeatedly singled out for being a surprisingly realistic and mature relationship for the Gundam franchise. And one deliberately written as a rejection of weird Newtype bullshit.

And both lean heavily on the cinematic and romanticized wuxia toolbox in what can be described as a loving genre homage. I would not be surprised if there were an overlap between fans of kungfu movies and wuxia novels and fans of these two works, as they ooze the same pulpy, larger-than-life sensibilities.

though I've also run into people who hate kungfu movies because they're unrealistic yet like the Fast and Furious franchise because they're unrealistic and all I can do is smdh

I must say I wasn't even aware Wuxia was even a thing, so I checked it out. This should tell you that my opinons are equal to that of an uncultured swine, and you should not take them too seriously. I'm open minded and thus I still await for the super robot show to sway me over.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

You also have to watch IGLOO.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

SEED was okay by me. I only got into gundam in 2014 because of Build Fighters and my viewing order was:

Build Fighters
Build Fighters TRY
Turn A Gundam
Gundam X
Gundam Wing
Gundam Wing Endless Schmaltz
0079 OG series + those 3 compilation movies
Zeta
0083 Stardust Memory
ZZ
Char's Counterattack
IGLOO
08th MS Team
00 + the movie
Victory Gundam
F91
G Gundam
Reconguista in G

Of course I've gone back time and again to rewatch plenty of things. Mostly Turn A because it's so good.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Revitalized posted:

Was Gundam Build Fighters well received?

I just started watching it and I really like it. It makes me very self conscious about how big of a nerd I am.

It got me into gundam.

I successfully ignored gundam for 32 years of my life. Now I'm an addict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I think Thunderbolt might be my favorite gundam series now. After watching episode 4. And it's so conflicting; I liked Turn A because it took place in such a distant faraway future, it left to the imagination to wonder what kind of unspeakable horrors had to have happened for humanity to loop back towards 19th century tech; I still love BF because it got me into building model kits again. But thunderbolt, it does a better job than 08th MS Team at the whole "this is what war does. this is what you can expect" vibe.