Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

chumbler posted:

As long as you're not after hard sci fi or whatever (why would you be watching gundam then)

Early UC gundam has some pretty good hard scifi concepts, or is drawn from actual speculative science. Oneil cylinders for one. It's not hard hard sci fi but as the originator of the real robot genre, where things are at least given cursory science / science handwaving explanations, it's not crazy to think something that is largely devoid of it like GBF might not scratch the same itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The controversial part is people who think its perfect in every way and people who think it would have been better with more legible writing. Even among people who thing the latter is the case I haven't seen many people who hate it, just think it could be improved in some way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Visionary director/writer Tominooooooo

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I just pretend that's still the case since there's nothing immediately after V of any consequence that contradicts it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also iirc tomino was working on cca at the same time so he would have been more hands off on zz most likely.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If you didn't know she was gonna die IDK what to tell ya. She was a great character, it's a shame she died, it didn't detract from the experience for me because I always assumed she was gonna die.

The real shame is how slipshod and wackadoo the fight with Neo Zeong is.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why? That's literally the question here, there's no reason for her to die other than Gundam clichés, and her dying was actively bad for the narrative.

boom boom boom posted:

Because it's Gundam Unicorn, and Gundam Unicorn was cobbled together out of Gundam cliches

I love Unicorn but yeah it's Gundam by the numbers and that means she was marked from the start.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

One of my favorite things about Shinji in Rebuild is how Shinji DOES get the lowbrow, shounen "I *WILL* save the girl!" moment at the end of 2.22, and it's pulled off in a really impressive and powerful way, playing off the shinji we remember from EoE, and then it turns out that he not only failed but caused the deaths of countless thousands in the process and turns back into dead eyed EoE shinji.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tsob posted:

That's basically Shinji all over though. One of the most memorable moments in Eva tv for me is Shinji actually getting some self-confidence and trying to show off by attacking Leliel only to immediately get psychologically hosed back right back down to his episode one self over the course of the episode. Any time Shinji actually manages to get some self-confidence or work up some decisiveness because someone else is in danger life pretty much immediately shits on him and puts him right back in the cage from what I recall.

Oh sure, it happens here and there on a smaller scale but its pretty loving vast and in your face in Rebuild

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kinda funny how they seem to be leaning on the "old tech rediscovered" angle recently. Its really interesting to see someone evaluate it like that who isnt familiar with the bulk of the previous work.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It slows up a bit.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hes also a newtype soooo

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zz is good and aside from the first span of episodes is probably more entertaining than zeta.

If you are watching stuff to have a better understanding of other stuff zz isnt needed for CCA, but it brings out lot of background stuff in Unicorn.

Strictly speaking zeta isnt very necessary for cca, but really plowing through stuff to get at other stuff is a dumb way to entertain yourself anyway, so watch things for what they are and take them for their own merits :>

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gundam's treatment of gravity always really did it for me.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mega particle cannon beams are all groady lookin, I just figured it was something like that.

It never entered my mind that it might be a conventional projectile of some sort.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

IIRC most american media companies don't give a poo poo about the properties they license to be animated for japan. Marvel goes as far as not really wanting it brought over here because it's made for making money in japan, and doesn't reflect their domestic brand.

Given Microsoft can't figure out how to market anything effectively, it doesn't surprise me that what is effectively a Halo commercial isn't top notch.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I remember fondly the gundam wing boys and their image song album and man, they were the fujoshiest bait

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have a feelin that unicorn plays pretty well to someone thats not jaded by the sort of cyclical nature of uc gundam shows (which I assume someone new to the series wouldnt be).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

Wish my folks were more like her when it comes to trying new things... :sigh:

Wwhy are you trying to make your parents watch anime?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Holy poo poo that looks good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I really liked Developers, about the prototyping of the first Zaku

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Unicorn came out pretty briskly when you compare it to Rebuild of Eva or the Code Geass ova.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Reds posted:

Think of it like WW1. Everybody is hyped to go off and show those foreign savages what-for and it's been so long since there's been a war that people are just not treating it with the gravity it demands.

It hadnt been a long time since there was a war; its just that youth is the one that always fights war, and young people dont know poo poo about dick. The initial feeling of elation and excitement during ww1 has to do with the tension breaking of long years of prediction that there would be a general war between the great powers, and when it happened people were glad that the possibility wasnt hanging over them and they could get it over with.

You are right about the initial elation of war being similar though, and where it gets funny is reco it actually has been a long time since there was a war. You could make the argument that such a state has never ever occurred in the span of human history, so the "unrealistic" instant ceasing of hostilities at the end follows the unprecedented years of forced peace. At the same time though, the peace is portrayed as forced and its not unreasonable to believe new hostilities would begin shortly again without the system of control being restored.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Iirc he was listed as dead but actually survived as a pow after the battan death match, and returned to everyones surprise much later?

I may be mixing up some guys tho.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Thunderbolt ep 1 was really really cool.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gundam get's pretty science fantasy at parts, especially in the AU, but my favorite parts of Gundam are the hard scifi trappings in UC.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Woah theres a lot of new posts, things must be getting heated about people not understanding how zeon is 'cool' like the empire is 'cool'

Oh no a guy complained about greco. I see.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AradoBalanga posted:

People who hate the Tallgeese? :shrug:

Criminals

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man, the people behind *snip* F91 really dig *snip* Star Wars.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love zz bright "i really really... Really REALLY want to cheat on my wife"

Bright and mirai's awful marriage and terrible children are the most realistic depiction of human life in gundam.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also a blond chick with eye whites.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

G reco supporters are pretty rabid here. To me, it was a prettily animated show with bizarre choices, pacing and 'story' throughout. Tomino writes insano people and its a problem across just about all of his shows. G reco is interesting for the fact that most of the characters doing things without apparent motivation are likable for once, unlike most everyone in zeta for instance.

This forum used to hate wing and zz and fawned over 08th ms team. I think with time some of this stuff will balance out better instead of the weird polarizing debates we get now.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Repeat viewings of say zeta take the characters from unreasonable unlikable assholes to kinda reasonable in context i guess but still unlikable assholes.

People often bring up that real humans do irrational things which is very true but theres prooobably a reason its brought up as a thing that people dislike about tomino shows so often. Theres a level were we can accept certain behaviors and a line when that behavior goes from "a person would do that" and "a person might do that but its frustrating and not entertain or endearing as a written character"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

The reason is that 99% of people in the west who watch Gundam consume media in a monomanaiacal genre sphere filled with poo poo writing, cardboard characters, and an almost dogmatic approach to following cliches.

I think its fair not to like something and not be totally disregarded because the "genre is filled with poo poo writing" etc.

There are certainly stupid assholes who dont like tomino gundam because its not schlock shounen poo poo but I really doubt thats why people in this thread are frustrated.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The beginning of zz sucks. People hate on moon moon but i think that part is neat and where the show starts to become a show.

Try and get over the initial hump; i think zz is a much more enjoyable show than z, personally. Its super slap stick and lame at first though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Xinder posted:

This is some high talk. I only recently finished Zeta for the first time and I think it might be my favorite Gundam series of them all.

Worth noting that it took about 3 watches for me to stop hating every action every character made in zeta. If you really like zeta your milage may vary wrt zz.

Anime ja nai is a classic but its a really bad song. Silent voices rules

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I like wing gundam a lot. It gets the short end of the stick in the show tho.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tae posted:

I'm pretty sure Heero has a higher kill count with a Leo than the Wing Gundam, who he wastes a Buster Shot on like 3 grunts before leaving it in the middle of the battlefield like it was garbage.

For a super hardcore soldier, he was the least logical in military tactics apparently.

TBF the buster rifle for the Wing gundam has a limited number of shots. They don't pay too much attention to it usually but it's a legit enough reason to explain that one away.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Xinder posted:

oh my god the moon moon arc was just as dumb as i was warned

That was terrible and I hated it. Please tell me the worst is passed.

Moon moon arc isn't that bad.

I liked moon moon. The first ten episodes were terrible and moon moon was a relief for me that the whole show wasn't gonna be scooby do with giant robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Xinder posted:

The idea that less than a century after the development of space colonies, one of the colonies would have a completely ingrained luddite movement and somehow still maintain the colony to livable status is just...really, really dumb. The fact that it was a two-parter and then was referenced as a "lesson about how people can live together in peace" despite being visited in the middle of a holy war was icing on the cake.

I thought it was really interesting and the idea that the colony could still be functional without any support less ridiculous than a boatload of other things in gundam. I really love the idea of a big hosed up colony and advanced technology being forgotten and taken for granted unknowingly though. It reminded me a lot of the megaman legend ruins in some ways.

It's like "cool (dumb) space religion" versus "goddamn kids stealing gundams CONSTANTLY and running off to do poo poo" which is about 70 percent of tomino gundam shows, I'm way cooler with dumb colony luddites.