Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yesssss.

Molegrim is ready to rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I notice the number of slots has quietly increased from 48 to 64.

Gonna be a lot of fights!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

Teams will likely email each other to try to coordinate builds. Don't want 4 people with loads of armor and no weapons. Or maybe you do. I don't know. This game is a crapshoot.

We could set up a Dwarf Fortress Slack group with channels for each team?

Could be handy for the commissioners too, if you find Hangouts as annoying as I do.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Dasmause, Dark Off and Hihohe are apparently my squad mates. Hi guys. Are we doing Hangouts, Skype, IRC, email or Slack?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

dasmause posted:

(Former) Team 15, I changed the name. It's kinda-sorta the only decent thing I had in mind and is related to nothing and represents nothing, if you wanna change it, I don't mind

I changed it to something I like better but likewise not especially attached to it.

Add katzking at the hot mail on Skype to talk "strategy" (note: I have never had a fighter get past round 2)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tirius posted:

Mostly be killed probably! We've all already spent most of our points anyway, so not much to talk about for now!

You can respec until tourney starts.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

dasmause posted:

Sent you a mail and message on skype, hope any of them arrived

I had a missed call from 'defeeca' but nothing else. Don't worry about it, I will check out you guys' builds and try and optimise mine for the group! (badly)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Bene Elim posted:

Blood splattered everywhere and a dissapointing ending? Perfect day for a Tarantino Film!

Also: poo poo. Never saw Snarls get kerb-stomped like that in testing.

Pikes are pretty deadly, I think you were unfortunate in being the fastest on your team and therefore the first to be targeted.

Nice to kick off the tournament with a win, especially as my team elected not to coordinate at all!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dark Off posted:

go mogwai
that single level on biting really paid off
its a mystery how mogwai survived getting his throat crushed.

The neck is somehow unconnected to the spine in the current version of DF. It seems to be just a lump of flesh.

Dark Off posted:

i did try to add you on skype guess the emails and invites went to wrong adress

Oh, that was you? I got the request but couldn't tell who it might be. I'll add you so we can coordinate in further rounds!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks for commissionering, Galick! It is a nonzero amount of work.

My primary request from that write-up would be to name the manager of each fighter as well as the fighter itself. It always adds extra interest to a fight when you're rooting for a friend Bad Munki to lose.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Ghostwoods posted:

Given the randomness of both DF combat and the Arena Challenge process, I really doubt that a +1 to top skill is going to be especially significant. Give it a few rounds, and we'll get a better idea of how decisive it really is. You can't really fairly change it mid-season unless you're at a point where everyone has had the same number of home-field matches.

This. A sample size of 4 is nothing. Let's see how it goes for a round or two imo.

(The problem with giving ranks of Fighter skill is it may end up a nerf, as the fighter may take useless attacks of opportunity instead of using their main weapon.)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I suppose I should be glad that my fighter provided a spectacle, even if he was on the wrong end of things.

I'll get you next time, Panty Thief.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Can someone on Team Laser Explosion please use the participation bonus points to buy a drat dagger or something.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

AJ_Impy posted:

They don't deserve names yet. One belongs to the Petting Zoo, one besmirches the Spooky Scary Skeletons, one befouls Cool Rad Awesome Pals, one blights A Tarantino Film, two cripple a Furry, Farmer and two Cows, two execrate the name of This Bites and three render Lightly Whipped even more of the ultimate laughing stock.

Until any of them kill someone, they are dead to me. :colbert:

(Except my teammate. They alone have merit amongst the unblooded.)

Worth pointing out that everyone in this list is objectively a worse gladiator than Mogwai, a gremlin wielding two bucklers.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Bets placed. Keep on betting against Laser Explosion!

Gotta say I am enjoying this tournament format. Just hope the commissioners won't get too bored with running fights by round 18.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Just wanted to give props to Mogwai's manager for the surprise dagger replacing one of his bucklers. It could totally have worked.

I wish my moleman had more points to play with :(

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Bruising the conscience surely.

So how many managers have forgotten this thread exists and aren't bothering to update their fighters? Wondering if those who get knocked out after this phase will get a chance to pick up someone else from the teams that make it through.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Shouldn't there be three kills for the losing team in the tally?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Haha it took me quite some time to realise what was going on here.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

AJ_Impy posted:

The difference between the Skeletons in 8th and Team Laser Explosion in 9th, with identical win/loss and identical kill difference, goes to the Skeletons' superior kills scored, by two skulls.

I got all excited by this as I didn't think Laser Explosion were in with any sort of chance.

Then I looked at our remaining scheduled opponents. We aren't.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Can I wait until after our match against Go Big to vote

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
While you're waiting, a new DF LP has just begun in case anyone hadn't noticed.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I like how Spermy Smurf is now held solely responsible when fights aren't run. Whatever happened to... *looks at OP" Jazzimus, Silverminnow, Galick and possibly Anchors?

Personally I had the foresight to back out of commissionering before this crazy huge tournament started

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah it takes a few fights to find a good workflow for you. Spermy can give you tips I expect though.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If you fools had been bribing the commissioner like you should, he would have had more money to DESTROY THE ANTWOMAN SCOURGE

Hmm Team Laser Explosion's fight must be up soon

Heading to the bank, brb

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

AJ_Impy posted:

In like Flynn has just hit a half-century of murder

Grats on your 50 kills Flynn! :haw:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Oh man I did NOT expect that. We may be going out but at least we're going out fighting!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm very sorry I bought my fighter bronze mail in advance of this fight, obviously that's what you are referring to

E: dammit you didn't enter the results yet so I can't spoil it for myself :(

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 27, 2016

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yesssss that new bronze mail armour actually paid off! Thanks for a great fight write-up, Tink.

e: Looks like things are gradually resolving: two teams out of Team Laser Explosion, Go Big and/or Go Home, and Worker Cooperative will be making the playoffs.

If Go Big (home) do better than a 4-0 loss vs the Subterranean Animists (visiting) then they're through. Otherwise they tie with Team Laser Explosion.
If Worker Cooperative (home) do better than a 4-2 loss vs the Plump Helmets (visiting) they're through; otherwise they're out.

If Worker Cooperative go through AND Go Big and/or Go Home are tied with Team Laser Explosion, there will presumably have to be a tie-breaker fight between the latter two?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 28, 2016

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm so sorry Worker Cooperative, you were one of my favourite teams and it was painful having to root against you in that fight.

But yesssss Team Laser Explosion makes the playoffs! Right up until this moment, I never thought that would happen.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dark Off posted:

I always knew that mogwai would carry team laser explosion.
I have faith in that little guy. especially for her 1 level of biting

I also created dwarf fortress arena challenge discord server
everyone is free to join
https://discord.gg/012gPEDdSpgmHSeKr
i can make rooms for teams in there so people can discuss strategy more easily

Also IRC users don't forget that #df on SynIRC is a thing. (I only just found it, no idea how active it is)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Voting double elimination. Means someone gets a chance to stage an epic comeback.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Commentators are characters from some video game or other

Preferably one that I've played

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dark Off posted:

I always knew that mogwai would carry team laser explosion.
I have faith in that little guy. especially for her 1 level of biting

I also created dwarf fortress arena challenge discord server
everyone is free to join
https://discord.gg/012gPEDdSpgnA08vP
i can make rooms for teams in there so people can discuss strategy more easily

A decent number of folks have now joined the discord server if people want to talk strategy (dasmause are you still around?)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
As far as I can tell dasmause hasn't logged into the arena challenge site since a third of the way into the tournament and he hasn't updated his fighter. Do we need a new manager for Anthony?

E: he has plat actually - will pm him

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 2, 2016

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Search confirms that dasmause has not posted on the Something Awful forums since March 22nd.

I reckon we can go ahead and assign his fighter to someone else. Jazz?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

habituallyred posted:

I think that went out the window when we lost to Lightly Whipped.

I would be up for working out a new plan. Do you want me to make a google document or just exchange email addresses?

Around half the folks who made it to the playoffs are on discord now, where private team channels are a thing. Text and voice chat, text is saved so you can see it whenever you log in. Join ussss.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 3, 2016

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I believe Anthony is good to go now.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

You know that antwomen can hold 4 daggers right? Just sayin.

Do weapons ever break? I imagine a yeti thrusting a wooden dagger at a steel breastplate would likely snap unless its some Karsa ironwood or whatever.

They don't break - they probably should, but can you imagine the annoyance in fortress mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Well I did vote for double elimination and this is why...

Grats to GBa/oGH! Here's hoping Laser Explosion can also swing an upset.