Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Strangler Than Fiction ready to fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Look at this guy, trying to make sure he's the only one that gets blessed with my skillz.

I'm using the same build I was last time I was on your team. Let's see how things play out when I'm unquestionably the worst fighter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

May I suggest an unorthodox but entertaining method of picking teams this time around? Instead of random selection, hold a grand melee! Rank players by the order they go out in the melee, then, assign teams via whatever fair metric you see best! Maybe try to keep teams total ranking fairly close. It'd make for more exciting betting, I think.

Sounds good to me!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ramc posted:

The issue there is that people might want to co-ordinate with their teammates on their starting builds to avoid 3 archers. Or 2 archers. Or really even 1 archer.

Archery blows in a team battle, classically, is all I'm saying.
No reason the initial team-deciding tournament would lock your character build.

After the battle royale you can tweak to your heart's content.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

This but arms instead of arrows.

We'd need to define a variable to track how many arms a character had.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm in Worse Munki, with fallingdownjoe, Pittsburgh Lambic, and Segway Rave. Other dudes, feel free to talk strategy in PMs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is there a list of the changes made since the last tournament?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Once again, I am attired in the finest platinum chainmail.

My victory is assured.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh yeah, are we still doing that thing where former champions get a pointless vanity item?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think Bene Elim got gold boots and an adamantine shield (and the other early champions got a gold item of their choice up to the value of a gold shield), but how about just a gold crown for every champion?

That makes it unique and cool, but not actually a big mechanical advantage.

EDIT: Knowing dwarf fortress there's probably a % chance calculated of your crown blocking a headshot, but hey I don't mind getting a little advantage.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 19, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fallingdownjoe posted:

If a gold crown is the one thing that saves that fighter, I think that's just fair. And hilarious. BUT if they win the tournament again the next crown has to stack on top of the first one until they get a teetering tower of crown.

That's how things work in worldgen, too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Kobold, full platinum armor. It's a sure thing.

Let me start taking notes.

Let's see... no weapon... platinum armor... any other ideas?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also picking the optimal armor and weapons doesn't really decide the battle, since I somehow won wearing platinum armor using only my teeth.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if toady modeled armor density as a way to limit impact depth (as per Newton)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My platinum armor has betrayed me :arghfist: :aaa:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sadly my ultimate build of 'all points in discipline' never got off the ground.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I could see the failure of my platinum armor as an indictment of my pursuit of style over substance, but I think I'll blame my teammates instead.

Slackers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki was effective.

Home team bonus confirmed as far too unbalanced.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Hell yeah!

e: home field advantage officially proven bugged now

:agreed:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my dad posted:

First of all, it's not rigid at all, so it provides almost no protection against blunt weapons. Second, in the arena (unlike unmodded DF), it only works 80% of the time, thanks to purchasing it from the lowest bidder. 1 in 5 hits are going to go through it like it isn't there. However, it's the cheapest metal protection considering the surface it covers and still having fairly high reliability.

I thought last time it was 75%. Is there a full changelog?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

For some reason Strangler Than Fiction is only targeting the legs.

... this is Dwarf Fortress, I have to ask. Did Toady model how short combatants have limited reach?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Klokwurk posted:

Awww.

Wait, what happened there?

He was just so hungry for that candy corn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Once again, the home team is victorious!

I suppose it says something about how well-balanced the system is if we can detect a single skill rank on each competitor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jon joe posted:

C) The four teams with the best K/D score, besides the four division champions. Team A might have more wins than Team B, but I think if Team B is consistently more lethal, they are a 'better' team in terms of consistency - victories less based on luck and more based on MURDER POWER. Plus, isn't it always good to encourage more carnage? Bonus: Because the losing team always gets 4 deaths and the winning team always gets 4 kills, the overall victors should still be privileged.

D) Teams composed of the individual gladiators with the highest K/D ratios.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jon joe posted:

Not sure if that's a serious suggestion or not - it sounds hilarious - the only reason I have a problem with it is because it warps builds to encourage individual murder ability at the cost of team composition.

We'd end up with the #1 teams facing the all-stars of the rest of the gladiators.

A true test of individualism vs communism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That was a good fight.

Actually, it might be neat to put the betting totals at the top of the match writeups, so we know who's favored in the bets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Teamwork at its finest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my dad posted:

People tend to forget that copper is heavy enough to be good blunt weapon material, and bad enough at protecting you that it's only better than leather at blocking some sharp copper weapons. And it costs twice as much as leather. Pretty much the only copper armor I'd ever buy is a copper cap to give at least basic head protection, and maaaaaybe a copper mail shirt on a minotaur+ sized creature, but not really. If you buy full body copper armor, you'll need a lot of armor skill to make up for it, and at that point you might as well buy iron instead.

Platinum armor or nothing :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Do tigermen ever manage to be anything but punchingbags? I seem to remember them being pretty ineffectual in the last tournament, too.

We need to mod them so the moment the battle starts they catch fire.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

I vote to run it one way, and then if my team loses, redo the match the other way, and if we still lose, continue changing it and redoing the match until my team wins, then keep that result

One of the biggest unsolvable mysteries in computer science is the halting problem - there is no general method for determining whether an algorithm is terminating or non-terminating, and we have to constantly build new proofs for specific cases.

Fortunately, we can build outwards from obvious results. Your algoritm, for instance, is non-terminating.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nice to see archers actually shooting things without dying.

Also, people should be betting against Worse Munki. The odds are currently 1:6 at 1201 : 5958 of bets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Chaz Steadyfist (Worse Munki) strikes at Grimmik (Lightly Whipped) but the shot is deftly parried by the iron whip!
Grimmik (Lightly Whipped) strikes at Chaz Steadyfist (Worse Munki) but the shot is blocked with the oaken shield!
Strangler Than Fiction (Worse Munki) bites Trump's Viscous Discharge (Lightly Whipped) in the second finger, right hand and the injured part is ripped into loose shreds!
Strangler Than Fiction (Worse Munki) latches on firmly!
Jupis Tooki McGannel (Lightly Whipped) attacks SRIRACHA FARTSTORM RETURNS (Worse Munki) but He jumps away!
Ghost-trees (Lightly Whipped) attacks Experiment Twenty-Two (Worse Munki) but She jumps away!
Trump's Viscous Discharge (Lightly Whipped) gores Strangler Than Fiction (Worse Munki) in the head with her left horn and the injured part collapses!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
Strangler Than Fiction (Worse Munki) has been struck down.

Died on line 9. Anyone else in the single digit club?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LorrdErnie posted:

Thanks for that, wasn't expecting a Thanksgiving fight! Just so you know you underlined Laser Explosion a couple of times when you probably wanted to bold it and left something as "tiger one" at another point.

Also an " Image0048(done)"

Anyway, good fight, should have just let the magma go. I didn't bet on the Petting Zoo for some arbitrary situation to not kill the opposing team

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A good poster posted:

We didn't get a full round of update points, just a participation bonus for logging in to the site.

Yeah, 50 points/ round or something.

Finally got my leather armor :toot:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Golden loincloth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And if we can add skill ranks, give him some free permanent ranks in something suitably embarrassing appropriate.

Like "Crutch-walker" or "Bone doctor".

Naturally LorrdErnie should be a Professional Gem Cutter :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I built Strangler Than Fiction to be the ultimate wingman - able to tie up opponents and keep them occupied long enough for the killing blow.

And that's exactly why two of my teammates have 8 kills each, and I only have one. Totally a calculated move to help my bros out. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dang. A real nailbiter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

It's odd that the first line of the combat log is the trance happening.

I wonder if it's a case where newly-spawned creature checks for enemies before it checks for allies?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Odds for the next match are currently
3,326.00 to 14,176.00

Come get some money at hilarious five-to-one odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jon joe posted:

Do not fall this man's tricks, he is merely attempting to steal your money. Pretend go big and/or go home is lightly whipped, because as far as this match is concerned, whether they are or not doesn't make a difference.

Look at you, advocating for a team that's worse than Bad Munki, which has two members with only one kill each across the entire tournament.