Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jon joe posted:

How do we determine a weapon's statistics for the purpose of this tournament? Where are these values located in a way that is readable to us?

Go to your Dwarf Fortress folder, and you'll find the files in the raw subfolder. Use the Arena mod if you want the arena stats specifically.

jon joe posted:

edit: also, is weapon size effected by the carrier's size?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's literally explained right there in the file. :shobon: Scroll up and check the battle axe description.

Material size is irrelevant to the Arena, (it's about the amount of resources needed to produce the weapon) so I didn't bother explaining it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jon joe posted:

edit: One final question I suppose, what determines which attack is used out of the option available? Is it random? Based on situation? Skill? Situation and skill?

On the same weapon, the edged one a vast majority of the time, not counting opportunity strikes.

When wielding multiple weapons? A combination of weapon skill, a degree of edged weapon priority, a touch of voodoo magic, but most of all, Armok's ever burning desire to make your fighter do the opposite of what you wanted them to do.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Moving and walking are separate parallel actions, so she wouldn't need to actually stop. Whether she charges in or stays back to shoot is up to the quirks of the AI.

e: Dual wielding can work. 3 members of the Slade Gauntlets used it, and so did several other good fighters in the tournaments. The mistake I often see people make is that they rush the second (third, fourth) weapon too soon, while it still costs as much as several levels of weapon skill.

my dad fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 2, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

but it does play into a side project I might be working on.

What might that be?

For the recording, I'm thinking about whether it's worth it to spend time figuring out how creature raws work so that I could come up with a custom creature designer. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's not modding DF that's the problem. That's the easy part, actually.
The hard part is that Jazz has to be able to implement any change in a way that can be interacted with on his website, so stuff has to be done in such a way that he's not overwhelmed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Added Space posted:

If a fighter is incapacitated, attacks on him will preferentially target the head. If you have a strong helm, even if you go down you'll still tank abuse and potentially tie up an attacker so a teammate can rescue you.

There's the opportunity cost to consider, though. Points can be spent instead on making sure your fighter doesn't go down in the first place.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I get the impression that "An arm for an arm" is a trade Braun is uniquely well made to take. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I did not expect this result, nor did I expect it to be such a one-sided battle.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
People tend to forget that copper is heavy enough to be good blunt weapon material, and bad enough at protecting you that it's only better than leather at blocking some sharp copper weapons. And it costs twice as much as leather. Pretty much the only copper armor I'd ever buy is a copper cap to give at least basic head protection, and maaaaaybe a copper mail shirt on a minotaur+ sized creature, but not really. If you buy full body copper armor, you'll need a lot of armor skill to make up for it, and at that point you might as well buy iron instead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You're trying to trigger me, aren't you? :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

At the end you can see what kinds of weapons are best for racking up kills. I'd assume slashing.

Well, the primary factor is being skilled enough to be the one doing the killing, but in general, probably the stuff that's capable of inflicting powerful blows. So picks, bigass swords, stuff like that. Heavy warhammers once people start having enough skill to use them right. Possibly spears, too, but that one depends on a bajillion factors.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

dasmause posted:

Looking at my fighter's performance so far, apparently not having a weapon has a negative impact on ability to kill
Who'da thunk

Not Panty Thief, that's for sure. :razz:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, A Tarantino Film at least has a passable counter of some sort to all of our fighters. They're just not very likely to use it well.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm only betting on this one because I always bet on my own team. Make of it what you will. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sun Tzulander, holy poo poo. :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh well. Win some, lose some.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Frozen_flame posted:

Time for the secret plan. Platinum Helms! Also steroids

Well, the first half of your plan is confirmed to be working. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bad Munki posted:

Even with damaged eyes, a useless hand, and bleeding out from missing a leg, Jimbo kills one guy and largely disable another. I like Jimbo, he's a good dwarf.

Jimbo is legitimately not a bad fighter at all. Just... You know... Not in a particularly good team to show that off. :v: My main complaint is that you bought him a helm instead of a cap and a pair of gauntlets.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah, but a team in the preliminaries needs only be better than average to survive into the next round. It's the next round where being the best team starts to matter, and some builds are more future-proof than others.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Frozen_flame posted:

Braun's face oh my god :3:

The best fanart

I agree. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Did you try copper?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's OK, I expect we'll lose a couple of matches, including this one. I'm pretty sure we can beat most of the other teams, though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, archers require a team that can live long enough for them to fire off shots, and is capable of exploiting on damage inflicted.

There's also the factor of how much dodging skill the enemy team has. I'm probably not spoiling much when I say that I didn't put a lot of points into dodging on my head-to-toe armored minotaur that ended up taking 2 bolts to the gut.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
By the way, a completely new version of Dwarf Fortress is out. It includes music. And beatboxing. And writing. And taverns. And malleable ethics. And science. And non-dwarf tourists who may potentially apply for citizenship if they like your fortress well enough. And objects made from more than one material. :allears:

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 1, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SynthOrange posted:

The new customization options. :v:

The fun part is, your character can now change the ethical systems of entire civilizations by rocking out just that hard. Ever wanted peaceful goblins or particularly warmongering elves? Now's your chance to do it.

e: Oh my God

my dad fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 2, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

What happened with that screenshot my dad?

Did someone create the south park brown noise in a song in df, or was that a happy naming accident from df?

Can someone test out a lustful, murdery, brawl lover for me? Codename: Hate Fucker

I have no idea. I'm waiting for the first couple of bugfixes before I dare start playing it, and I guess I'll find out then.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I thought you were joking, but,

quote:

It is a gelding strike!

it finally happened in the arena... :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GreyPowerVan posted:

Why did I get lashing and blocking skill? I wonder if whips have an innately lower parry chance...

They have a special tag that makes them bad at being wielded alongside something else, and it's quite possible that this includes being wielded alongside a shield.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

Hey now, there is one more Gemclod vs Syrupleaf fight this round!

Sadly, it's one which I expect us to lose.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Er... I thought martial trance was supposed to be removed? Oh well, c'est la vie.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
They are, because whips and scourges are really, really bad in this version, especially when you take their price and slow speed into account.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
From what I've seen and heard so far, sadly, no.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

No, I'm really with Jazzimus here. Lightly Whipped have a lot of issues as a team, but "selecting the wrong weapon type" probably isn't in the top 3.

Well, you can see their skill loadouts. I can't. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tiler Kiwi posted:

dwarf fortress doesn't model shock you nerds :geno:

Nonsense, I'm sure the fighters are quite shocked once they see their limbs flying off in an arc for the first time.

By the fourth time this happens, not so much.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Endorph posted:

mongo has been consistently useless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

but I just ran The Plump Helmets vs The Petting Zoo and holy poo poo, this is going to be a treat.

Goddamn, we lost, didn't we?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
New pro strat: Take a nap while your enemies exhaust themselves failing to hurt you, then wake up and

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

:psyduck: I didn't even notice that.

I'm pretty sure that's a glancing blow that ended up brushing the fur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm yet to regret being in the same team as you, Ramc. :allears: