Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://gfycat.com/ThornyCostlyBellsnake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

xoFcitcrA posted:

What a strange trick!

Also, what sport is that floorhockey called? We don't have it where I live. At least, not in organized team form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floorball

It's also known as Unihockey, and it's apparently popular in Scandinavia. It's in some ways similar to field hockey, which is popular in West Europe and the Indian subcontinent.

It always makes me chuckle to hear Canadians talk about 'hockey', meaning ice hockey which is mostly played by bulky men. When you talk about 'hockey' without a prefix here in the Netherlands you mean field hockey, a sport that's mostly popular with the children of posh people. The posh-talking "hockey kids" are stereotypically infamous for their slutty behaviour during after-game parties.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Inco posted:

In some jurisdictions, it's not only illegal to drive in the outer lane, but it's illegal to pass any car if you're in the inner lane. gently caress that douchebag, and gently caress any douchebag who cruises in the passing lane

I think you got inner and outer switched around there. But yeah.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I read an article about India purposefully ignoring medicine trademarks and making their own 'pirated' copies of medicines in order to give their poorest citizens the healthcare they need.

Lawyers/big pharma are probably angry at this. I certainly am not.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/9ujIz9q.gifv

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This reminds me of the new science/chem building at univ. At some point, something, a small controlled fire from an experiment or something, triggered a smoke alarm which set off automatic sprinklers. Everyone ran out - but they forgot that there was still a block of sodium metal sitting in the open, which they were just getting ready for some other experiment. Oops.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I heard Icelandic Hákarl (rotten shark) is one of the few foods that's worse than Surströmming. Iceland likes taking things to the extreme. Are there videos of people being exposed to this?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Police dog does not enjoy this part of its training.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/Uqwoiox.gifv

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Back in my time, the only meme we had was All Your Base and we ENJOYED IT.

spoiled brats...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some government schadenfreude anyone?

Okay so some Dutch town got a deal with a waste processing company. The company sold a bit of their ground to the town so the town could extend a road. The company would then get another bit of ground as compensation, and the town would make sure that all permits for waste storage and stuff are in order for the new piece of land.

But the town failed to get the permits in order and says it's a task of the province government and yada yada. Everyone's blaming each other. The owner of the trash processing company got fed up with this, so he decided to dump a mountain of trash on the new road.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

xergm posted:

To be fair, a green pump handle is universal for diesel. Yellow is universal for E85.

The gas station should really change the color of the handle.

On the other hand, diesel and regular are never pumped from the same handle, so in order to even get any gas from that, they actually had to select something other than "Diesel" when the pump prompted them to select the fuel grade.

As you said, it's probably staged anyway.

... select fuel grade? Where you live, you don't just take a handle out and that will set the pump to that type of fuel for that transaction?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Ooh, ooh, I'm from Washington state, let's hear what you think our accent is like

Washington is up north, so fake Canadian?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When an American says they're from Georgia, I just assume they're from an ex-soviet country.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdv4FUHqP8

Fishstick posted:

The best kind of sports schadenfreude, early-celebratory-freude

Have some more: http://imgur.com/gallery/GMczf

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jan 3, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The schadenfreude is that more people will pay them for whatever homeopathic quack they sell or to get their fortune read or whatnot.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Where is your god now?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SpacePig posted:

How did she even end up on that stretch of road, anyway? Like, did she just type where she was going into a GPS without adjusting for being a truck or something?

Sorry that I didn't err on the side of caution, since it'd be inconvenient for me, and that I destroyed an historic bridge, a trailer, and probably a significant amount of the goods I was transporting. But hey, I'm okay. Hope I don't lose my license over this!

e:
Now that I've actually read parts of the article, I do feel sort of bad for her.

She's Amish, so isn't super familiar with driving or certain imperial measurements, and missed the turn for the number route literally ones street over. However, she had someone in the cab with her to spot, so she should've been able to back up until she could make her turn. Lot of trouble involved with this one, so I won't be surprised if she loses license, and also won't be surprised if authority who issued the license and company that hired her are looked into as well.

Are you saying the Amish actually use metric?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think they wanted to just put the ball on fire, so it leaves a trail of fire behind it when it rolls. Soaking the table with fuel is not the right way to do that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/XwAslTj.gifv

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Surprisingly no schaden in this freude.

http://i.imgur.com/y4oqOrR.gifv

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry for linking to this crappy site but the freude is good.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/david-cameron-called-a-c-in-david-camerons-favourite-tv-show#.exLoWxG0r

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Does tindeck not have an inline player anymore?

It does, but some weird error was made when uploading. The .m4a file registers as a html document if you try to download it, which is also why the player won't load. It can't deal with html files.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Here's video on this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSdqV8kAvlI
Policeman asks if driver is going to step out, who responds that they have no rights to request that. Longer story is that there was a short car chase and that's a likely driving under influence - dude argued with policeman in aggressive and threatening manner.

Russian cop show doesn't give a drat, doesn't even bother blurring out a clear picture of his full ID. He's much more hosed now than whatever the police has done to him.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

More watts mean more nicotine? Somehow I don't think it works that way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's well known that fear for dentists is a very common phobia. And poking around in someone's smelly mouth doesn't sound very fun, does it?

So why would anyone do the ten-year training to become a dentist?

I figure, there can be only one reason: all dentists are just very dedicated sadists.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The page says I need a facebook account. I'm a goon, I don't have facebook. So no, it doesn't work for me.

Inco, if you got any kind of anti-tracking/privacy add-on in your browser, it's quite possible it just blocks facebook entirely. That's what I'd do.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A new old schadenfreude causer. http://www.today.com/style/1-year-anniversary-thedress-internet-erupts-debate-over-jacket-color-t76526

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

Apparently some of you have never been in fight with an old man. They're not all weak and frail. Some of them can hand you your rear end. Don't ask me how I know this.

Yeah. So my granddad (80 yo or something?) was suffering from Alzheimer's (which is a horrible disease) and still living in his old house. One morning they found him on the cold kitchen floor where he had apparently been all night after he fell and had gotten confused. He had slight hypothermia so they called an ambulance.

Ambulance came to pick him up and bring him to the hospital, but for some reason he believed he was being kidnapped. So he started screaming for help and then knocked one of the nurses out by punching them in the face.

After being released from the hospital he moved straight into a care home.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mostlygray posted:

Really irritating. I have to ask my wife what color my shirt is and I dress my kids like clowns. I bought a pink shirt once that I swear was white. I have to ask my co-workers what color a thing is and have a huge amount of trouble mixing colors of paint. I have to do it by the numbers and labels. It's not that I see black and white. I'm excellent at yellow, but orange starts getting inconsistent and and red and green look almost the same. In my mind there is a single color called Blue-Purple and I don't differentiate.

The messed up thing is that I have a 4 year degree in graphic design and illustration. I spent the whole time saying "what color is this".

Computer monitors use purple (as in blue + red) to simulate violet because they can't emit actual violet, and because purple looks a lot like violet to us normies.

Apparently purple and violet are completely different colours to colourblinds? That's really strange to me.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's one way to get a head in life.

Content:

https://i.imgur.com/1DoZBJl.webm

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://abcnews.com.co/united-states-revokes-scientologys-tax-exempt-status/

Edit: Crap, turns out it's a fake news site.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Mar 11, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Crap, turns out that's a fake news site. Disregard. :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I went to look at other articles on the site and saw something about Trump's penis. Then I knew something was off.

All of their articles seem to mention this socks-for-homeless-people charity, for some reason.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some dude in Utrecht, Netherlands used public wifi to send an e-mail to the city of Leuven, Belgium with a terrorist attack threat if he didn't receive a large sum of money on a certain bank account number soon. The bank account number belonged to a guy living in Leuven.

Police tracked down the guy using CCTV images, found out that he was angry at the Leuven bank account guy, and thought this would be a good way to get the Leuven guy in trouble.

Utrecht guy has been handed over to Belgian authorities, and he's looking forward to 5-10 years of jail time for threatening a terrorist attack + paying the costs of the police investigation.

Good prank, good prank.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That reminds me. A little ways off a highway in the Netherlands, there's this house:

It says "JESUS SAVES".

The father of 16 living there painted it on in reflective traffic paint and pointed powerful lights at it at night.

The local government started complaining because it didn't fit with the landscape and it distracted drivers. Citing freedom of religion and freedom of opinion, the house owner started a lengthy battle in court. Finally, two years later, after the high court stated that the local government was right, he was forced to change it.

The local government ordered the house owner to "get rid of the large, white letters on the roof". And that's what he did:

Later on, the government just got him to agree to make the letters orange and a bit smaller.

The same guy went on to put posters saying "JESUS LIVES" everywhere and to start a tiny political party that never got any seats.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

She also implies in the beginning there's no-one there (the subtitles call it "calm") so she can walk in to check how clean they are right now. That makes it obvious why she's surprised when it turns out someone is there.

Anosmoman posted:

It's not that weird they are there because the urinals are in full view of the public which isn't uncommon judging by the festivals I've been to in northern Europe. Sometimes urinals are just scattered all over the public spaces because men like to piss whenever the slightest urge presents itself.

Are you saying that open-air pop music festivals in other regions aren't huge unhygienic messes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OP of that question posted:

I swapped if and of while doing dd. What to do now?
(dd is a low level copy tool, they suggested it to make a copy of the harddisk in its current state, so they can try recovery methods without making it worse. If you flip if/of around, you basically write the contents of the empty backup disk to the harddisk, making any kind of data recovery utterly impossible)

Yeah, no. Nobody would be THAT stupid, especially not after accidentally running rm -rf /. Totally a troll.

Unrelated,