Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

No, it doesn't. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Don't stick a stalagmite dildo up your rear if for no other reason than it doesn't have a flared base. Otherwise you run the risk of shoving it too far, your sphincter closing over it, you being unable to get it out, and necessitating a trip to the hospital. This is incredibly common. Do not stick anything up your backside that isn't attached to another human or, failing that, widens out to a flat base.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Er. I thought the original point about diluting the term "nazi" was sound, but wtf happened after that?

It's possible for someone to be a vile, bigoted demagogue without them also being a white supremacist who thinks Hitler was right and wants to genocide everyone who isn't a straight white person. Like, there's a spectrum of horribleness where maybe being afraid of black people is at one end and wanting to genocide them and heil der fuhrer is the other. Both racist, but to different degrees. I do think it diminishes the impact and meaning of the term "nazi" if you're not talking about violent extremists, considering just how loving bad the nazis were. Cf. Godwin's Law.

I mean, unless Spencer and Milo actually do want totalitarian leadership and genocide and all that; idk. In which case carry on!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fairly recently, in Australia, the government welfare agency (Centrelink) has been sending out heaps OF debt recovery letters erroneously. As in, intimidating government letters saying "you owe us money, you're in deep poo poo" to people that have no such debt . It's a huge loving issue, essentially harassing people who are already at or below the poverty line and have enough problems. Worse, it's been on the recipient to correct the mistake. The government has doubled down on the "there's nothing wrong with the system, it's just a minority of cases".

Well, we have a show over here called Q&A that discusses various pressing issues by getting together the relevant political figures/business leaders/scientists/whatever, and a studio audience drawn from a broad cross-section of the community affected by the issue. They recently did one on this issue.

It did not go well for Attorney-General George Brandis, and everybody laughed at him.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Feb 22, 2017

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

AzureSkys posted:

It doesn't sound like much outside of the mormon culture, but it's really undermining the narrative and helping people leave (including me).

Good. And good on you, if you're able to get out.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

nerdz posted:

Among other things, missing checkpoint chip data, suspicious splits (going fast in areas that you should be slow like steep inclines) and, absurdly enough, arriving at the finish line with different clothing since he started the race

found it: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man

I have the bluest of balls after reading that. They never figured out how he did it!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nuebot posted:

It sounds like a pretty good card to throw out if you're pretty sure you're going to lose but want to either make it hilarious, or maybe hinge on a 1% chance it just casts a dozen direct damage spells to the opponent.

Sure, but you've only got 30 cards to put in your deck, and there are going to be far more reliable ones you could put in instead. It's a fine card for when you want to just dick around and have fun, but it's pretty ballsy/stupid to do it at the actual world championships when there's prize money on the line.

It does make for some excellent schadenfreude, though. They nerfed it so that if Yog happens to cast a spell on itself that kills it/silences it/turns it into something else, the effect ends immediately. That makes for some pretty great plays, when someone slams down a Yog that immediately turns itself into a harmless sheep and that's it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

In a similar, more positive vein, a Scottish runner won her first gold medal and they tried to prevent her from taking her traditional victory lap due to a presumed lack of time. She just ran past the woman trying to block her and kept going.

"I tell you if a Serbian had won a medal, you bet you there would have been a lap of honour, and I'm not being... you know, uh, against the locals"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

e: actually, never mind.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

As someone who doesn't drink, what's the difference between 'bad' beers like Foster's and whatever good stuff's out there?

Different types of beer, mostly.

Every country has their lovely lagers that don't taste that great and you drink just cause you want to drink a beer, cheaply. VB, Asahi, Fosters, Corona, Heineken, Bud. There's nothing wrong with lovely beer, unless you're being a beer snob. It has its place. Every country produces poo poo beer, every country drinks poo poo beer; that's not the same as saying "all the beer made by such-and-such-a-country is poo poo".

"Good" beer is beer that's actually tasty, at least once you have developed a beer palate. Belgian beers of various type, pale ales, pilsners, IPAs, stouts, etc etc. I find American style pale ales like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or the Australian Little Creatures Pale Ale actually have fruity notes to them, and that's actually entirely from the type of hops used.

poo poo beer is beer that's either bland or actively tastes bad. I swear, I've never had a Carlton Draught that didn't taste like it had expired. But other than that, VB, Foster's, Coopers, Crown Lager are all pretty much fine. Just insipid and a tad unpleasant, but one and a half beers in I find my palate adjusts. Or I've deadened my taste buds.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Memento posted:

South Africa being the exception to this rule.

Eh, I know you're just cracking a joke, but if there are no craft beers at all in SA I'd be surprised.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth, I'm making a joke. You may have heard of them?

It's impossible to tell what level of irony you were posting from. Your joke is indistinguishable from being a legitimate dumbass.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jippa posted:

Why do you all keep referring to farooq as "they"? Isn't that against the rules in itself?

" They" as a gender neutral term that sounds better than "it", I assume. Rather than account sharing.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

lfield posted:

bloo bloo bloo I'd better jump out of the woodwork to cry like a baby because someone doesn't like the same stuff on Youtube as me

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Apr 5, 2017

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

http://junkee.com/watch-four-second-video-pauline-hanson-getting-incredibly-owned/101223

Hanson is one of our rabid, xenophobic, bigoted, far right wackos.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Speaking of Down Under

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-06/apple-taken-to-court-by-accc-over-alleged-consumer-misrepresent/8421346

Apple are being sued by Australian protection because they hosed up peoples' iphones with bad software updates, then refused to fix them under warranty because those people had got their cracked screens fixed by non-Apple repairers.

That kind of crap is illegal under Australian consumer law, and you can't EULA your way out of it, so the government are going after them. Similar kind of thing to how they went after Valve for not allowing refunds on Steam, and EBay for forcing purchasers to use PayPal.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

That guarantee is only valid if there are no scorpions on the flight, they have the right to revoke it at any time if business reasons mean they need to have scorpions.

Well, sure. If they've got too many blue ninjas on board, for instance, they need Scorpions to keep them under control.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bogan King posted:

This is some a-grade right here. Truck driver didn't notice the car getting dragged along by it.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.steimke.9/videos/1162307677230434/

So what did the video guy contribute other than filming, getting out of his car, and being indignant at the truck driver? Stopped watching about then

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

gently caress, man, what's it going to take to impeach that motherfucker already?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BovineFury posted:

Cat tries unsuccessfully to eliminate baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ooFFaFPic

Aww this is adorable! That cat is incredibly happy and loving, and the kid takes it pretty well considering how young he is. Saying the cat is his brother is pretty weird, but apart from that where's the schadenfreude?

He's going to vastly outlive his best friend :smith:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's Greensleeves here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vMjddmK0w

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ilmucche posted:

You mean an americano?

Or a long black?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Gann Jerrod posted:

This reminds me of the pinnacle of bad early reality television Man V.S. Beast, which featured a hot dog eating contest between Kobayashi and a bear.

So... the bear becomes the carry-over champion and keeps going until he wins the car, right?

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jul 25, 2017

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When I was a tiny child, the absurdly massive tree out in our front yard was hit by lightning. All I remember was that at one time there was a huge loving tree there, then one day it was split down the middle. I wasn't there to witness it, I think it must have happened while I was at daycare or something :(

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Awesome version vs fail version compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhy-fu-Mq7M

See, the thing about this is, the "people are awesome" folks aren't any different, intrinsically, than the "fail" folks. They weren't born being able to do that stuff, or magically gained the ability to do it one day. They were the "fail" folks, who kept practising until they could do it.

Well, maybe the difference is they didn't film their practise until they could nail it!

Regalingualius posted:

I thought you all could use a laugh from the Legal Advice subreddit.

A Reddit guy posted:

A horse is a horse, of course of course
And you should never draw on a horse of course
That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mr. Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.
He's always on a steady course.
Do not pump him full of lead.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BisonDollah posted:

Still can't believe not one of you fuckheads liked DON'T STOP 'COS YOUR LEG FELL OFF, but here I am posting something again anyway.

https://twitter.com/PoetsCornerUK/status/906265253637390337

What? I thought it was one of the best things I've ever seen...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"Is 'lawn-ornament' still cool, though?"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Next time they mention it say something like "Y'know, Indians always talk about how being conquered and brutally subjugated by the British Empire for so long and having that culture forced upon them was such a terrible thing but the fact that they still obsess over this British sport so much makes me suspect that they also miss it a tiny bit" and see how they react. :haw:

Edit: speaking as a guy who lives in Australia which is also an ex-British colony which is still obsessed with cricket, still has their flag on our flag, is still obsessed with the British royalty, etc etc.

Well, unless you're an Aborigine: no, being an Aussie doesn't have quite the same relationship with English colonialism as being Indian. Here the conquerors won. There, they eventually left and the original inhabitants are still picking up the pieces.

So... dumb joke; shame on you :P

Tagra posted:

Their shirts say "dick smith" :allears:
Yeah, he's a wealthy businessman and unfortunately rabid nationalist, with a chain of (now bankrupt) electronics stores bearing his name. Sadly not a brand of bespoke sex toy manufacturers.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Sep 16, 2017

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, according to those sources you just posted it wasn't fake but edited down to just the "screaming at the driver" bits.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huh. I didn't realise he was Australian. I looked the guy up, and it turns out he used to be in the band Cut Copy. That's really cool, to succeed at both making music and making video games!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Slugnoid posted:

yeah but hes probably gonna wind up with bernardi's conservatives so it's all much of a muchness in the end

Hm. Maybe it will create bad blood between One Nation and whatever Barnadi's fuckos are called, so that they don't vote together? (hopefully?)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

From ages back, but this is important.

Gromit posted:

A friend of mine bought a bunch of us starter ships back when it first announced, and another friend seems to be still vaguely excited about it all. We played with some FPS stuff where you had to wander for ages into a base to find someone to get missions. I suggested it would be awful to have to do that long walk every time you wanted a mission, but he seemed to love the idea. A few guys also thought it would be great to have multiple players in a ship and I wondered aloud what those players would be doing if they aren't flying it. "Fixing stuff", "planning routes" - oh yeah, that all sounds like a real blast. Some lovely mini-game to while away your time while one person flies the ship.
I hope it doesn't come out so I don't feel compelled to play with them and "press E to repair engine".

It exists, it's called Guns of Icarus, and it's really good.

Also, related, is a game called Angels Fall First which has crewing capital ships in combat, plus running to the flight deck to hop in fighters to launch out of them, plus boarding enemy space stations and then fighting as a space marine to capture the base. And it's loving INCREDIBLE.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ewe2 posted:

And Australia, we jumped on that ship early too. People still go on sick, they just don't expect to be paid for that day (and have to make the hours back).

What? No, that's illegal. Well, except for casual workers. Everyone else gets sick paid sick leave. See https://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/sick-and-carers-leave/paid-sick-and-carers-leave

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I wonder if shops would be able to schedule employees for Christmas Eve who simply don't celebrate Christmas, or who don't care, and stay open late for the stragglers.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Thinking about this clip is what made me google that vid again. very much worht a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgr0JoKoMtw

I can't listen to Tom Scharpling. It's like Greg Universe from bizarro world.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

As someone who has been listening to his radio show for about 13 years, I find the influx of Stephen Universe fans being aware of it the most bizarre thing ever. They call in a bunch and are so out of place.

I can imagine. I don't know why they'd call in, his show bears no resemblance to SU whatsoever. The fact that he does Greg in apparently just his normal voice is pretty jarring, at least for me.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I still find it outrageous that the cops apparently just plugged him as he opened the door. Like they're just a natural force, like a fire or a lighting strike, cutting someone down without any evident decision-making. I get that there's probably more to the story, but the way it's being presented is that SWAT are effectively an assassin-on-demand service that you can just dial up and they murder some schlub, no questions asked, they can't be held responsibly for their actions in any way because they're just some mindless force of nature, and the fault lies soley with the prank caller. Who is - don't get me wrong - a piece of poo poo for abusing the system in such a way. But poo poo, that exploit needs to be fixed. And unless there are extremely good reasons why not, some or all of those cops should be in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

So... who is this and why should we care? Google only turns up a right-wing extremist version of Wikipedia that apparently puts yellow Stars of David in the text next to the name of anyone Jewish, and that's not what I'd call a credible source.