Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
On my 5x I finally used the headphone jack. It is quite mushy with no click into the jack. Has anyone else noticed this?

On Fi; I paid about $27 last month, down from the same data usage at about $80 a year back. I have been quite satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Kinda pissed they dropped the price $80 on the 5x so soon. I would have waited had I known that was coming. Maybe it is a result of poor sales? Is it worth calling Google and requesting a retroactive price adjustment?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am very happy with Fi, but I do not get the sense that Google want to compete long term in this market. They seem to want to spur further innovation and develop their tech on us early adopters, but I am not sure what their plan for scaling is. The users of Fi are likely a rounding error on the books of the big players, and as soon as that changes then what?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
You may be right, that is speculation on my end. To be more succinct: What do we think is google's desired endgame with regards to Fi?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My Fi has been weird today. I am told when people dial my phone it rings a few times then makes a weird tone and disconnects. I get a voicemail with no content. I have received several of these today. I restarted so hopefully it will go away.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Does anyone else get confused as hell trying to figure out what method their messages are going out on? I use hangouts, and I am constantly confused when I send someone a hangouts message, and never hear back to later see I sent it to their gmail account and not their phone number. Or vice versa. And It seems messenger will do much of what hangouts does, further confusing me. I turned off SMS in hangouts, but they kept coming in and out. Fi has only made this more confusing than when I was on a Nexus 5.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
It really does not matter. The price is prorated up or down to the MB, so if you go over or under you just pay or are credited that amount.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Why do folks favor messenger and others over hangouts? I am not clear on the major differences.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I use the imgur app on my 5x and cannot recall seeing any ads. In chrome, on news sites it rampant though. Where on mobile imgur via the app are ads presented?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
There was already discussion on this topic. IIRC, the thought is that while the phone may work more or less, it is in violation of Google's TOS, and they may come down hard if they detect you are not using it as intended. Or not, no one knows, but I doubt you want to be on Google's poo poo list.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Ffycchi posted:

Nexus 5x

Yes...That is 11 hours with my screen on.

What witchcraft is this? My battery is at 20% after 4:45 on the screen. This is with brightness at the low end of the scale. No other apps either other than chrome and Google now.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Shooting Blanks posted:

Quick question on the invite process:

I'd need to buy a new phone for this, should I request an invite and buy the phone when it comes in? Or buy the phone now? Or can I guarantee an invite by buying the phone? I don't know if the invites are guaranteed, if there's an actual wait, or if they expire, basically.

Everything else makes sense, it looks like it'll save me about $30/month so the phone will effectively pay for itself - and I can curb my data usage pretty easily. Coming from an OPO, now I just have to figure out which phone makes more sense.

Pretty sure if you are eligible, you'll get an invite. I had the invite on hand and initialized before the phone was available and when the phone shipped I received the sim the same as the phone in separate parcels. You do not get charged until the sim is inserted and activated.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So I have tried to switch from hangouts to messenger. Set messenger as default and send a text to someone with messenger. Bam, reply comes in via hangouts. Wtf? This is a consistent thing and has happened before a few times.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I prefer hangouts. I just keep hearing rumors that SMS support in hangouts may soon be dropped so I tried messenger. My wife (ATT) has no issues with messenger on her N5. I just can't seem to switch when even the phone defaults back when I have told it not to.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
As always, google was very responsive, and it fixed the issue.

Google posted:

You will need to go into your Hangouts app to be able to change the default as well as the steps you have already done. Here are the steps to do so:
On your phone, open the Hangouts app.
In the upper left corner, touch the Menu icon (3 horizontal bars) and then touch Settings.
Touch the Google Account you use with Project Fi.
Under “Project Fi calls and SMS,” check or uncheck the box next to “Messages” (Show SMS & voicemail in Hangouts).

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I just switched my wife to a 5x an Fi. In the last three days she has started receiving spam text messages. She ported her number from AT&T and has never received any prior. Any ideas? Call Google?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I came from AT&T as well, and have had very little spam. The fact my wife had none till the port was suspicious to me. She likes it otherwise.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Managed to eck out a few texts from the top of Mount Rogers in SW Virginia where I had no service at all. Rural areas are still poorly covered in the US, even with 3 networks to draw from

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Any reviews in here on how their 5x responded to 7.1? I have the update taunting me but after getting burned on an older tablet I thought I would wait a bit.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Installed, fingers crossed...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

canyoneer posted:

Fi is sending a warranty refurb replacement, even though it's been outside of a year.

Feels weird to not have a phone.

This same thing is happening to me now. Google has been great about support, but having the issue hours after an update was annoying.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Yeah, Google 2 dayd me a refurbished after the bootloop issue. It was pretty painless honestly.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I expect Google is leaning hard on LG too. Not a good year for Korean tech companies.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I took Google's bait and bought a Pixel 2 and am selling back my 5x. It is a refurbished one and my wife is on her 3rd in 18 months from bootloop nonsense. I figured might has we'll get something now vs another bootloop pain in a few months and still need a new phone.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am assuming that Google is verifying that your old phone actually does as you stated prior to issuing you credit. To me that explains why the money is not credited as soon as the pickup scan happens.

I just got my Pixel 2, about 10 days faster than the initial shipping estimate. Transition from my 5x was pretty painless via USB.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I got my $115 for my refurbished 5x I traded towards a pixel 2. It took about a month, but at least I got what was promoted.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I heard the Fi engineers lurk Reddit as well, might want to try a stab in the dark. It probably can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anyone else having fewer spam calls after using screening? I was getting about 2 a day when I switched, now I see maybe 2 a week.