Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tequila Sunrise posted:

A lot of work is hyperbole. But I don't like green vegetables. They taste bad to me. So I don't eat them. Again, I enjoy fish, but I spent most of my life in Midwest America where there's very little fresh seafood so I'm just not that into it, though I eat it here occasionally because it's so abundant.

Also my particular area is pretty well known for its beef, and grains and milk are cheaper than in the States. It's only fruit that's crazy expensive here. I eat pretty cheap. I probably should take advantage of the seafood, but I don't feel like I'm missing out by not eating something I'm not crazy about.

Have you ever had an experience in your life where something that "tasted bad" to you at first became enjoyable? Beer, coffee, wine, liquor are common examples of this. Many things are an acquired taste. You may have heard this term before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bartlebyshop posted:

I'm with you, Ausmund. I can tell the difference between a nice steak from a good restaurant vs IHOP steaks (or nice pancakes vs IHOP pancakes) but I don't feel like the difference is worth it. Preparing and eating food is a huge time sink for me that I wish I could get rid of.

You can buy a raw New York strip steak or a ribeye for $10-15 at any upscale grocer that's incomparably better than some IHOP sirloin steak. You can cook such a thing in 5-10 minutes, in a single pan, with little to no skill or prep time.

True story!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think MREs are like little packets of different "foods" designed to simulate normal meals, not bags of soldier kibble.

Depends on which country they come from! There's a thread on this in GWS - you might be interested in the Eastern European offerings.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

This has to be an exaggeration. Sounds like something out of an ad.

What's the best meal you've ever had, and how did it make you feel?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

Nothing really comes to mind... I guess lobster bisque as an appetizer to my surf and turf at red lobster and my feelings were "Hey this is pretty good."

See, everyone keeps jumping on the "brain messed up" thing, but this honestly just seems like exposure to me. "Hey this is pretty good" is probably about as normal a reaction to eating lobster bisque at Red Lobster as you can have.

Edit: It is a shame that your best meal came from a Red Lobster, though. Have you ever eaten a lobster tail?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

Like a surf and turf meal is a steak and lobster isn't it? I think lobster is over ratted and annoying to eat when you have to crack it open to get barley any meat. And it jsut tastes like butter anyway. But the bisque that's made from it is good.

Surf and turf can be all sorts of things. With lobster tail you can typically just scoop out a big pad of meat. I like to use my hands where possible, there's a certain visceral pleasure in tearing apart an animal and devouring the best pieces of it.

What's the fanciest meal you've ever had?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

I was on a cruise ship when I was a kid, the meals they served there. Nothing particularly special about them.

It seems like you haven't really eaten anything complex like what ShadowCatboy was describing, and it sounds like even the typical "high end" stuff that can often stand alone despite lack of complexity, like steak and lobster, has been of a very low quality and poor preparation.

There's an entire world lurking out there that you probably would appreciate, if you had any idea what you were looking for.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 23, 2015

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShadowCatboy posted:

It's an interesting side topic so long as things don't get too personal, man. Why you wanna shut it down?

So they can fill in the void with their own interesting anecdotes about dietary oddities!

Right? Right?!?

*crickets*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Captain Bravo posted:

Thread consensus: "Short-term effects vary, but invariably once you hit middle age a lifetime of fast food will catch up with you."
AdorableStar: "I'm 19 loving years old, and nothing bad has happened, or will happen, to me old man."

:rolleye:

This is respectable. Achilles' choice. He's chosen the short, glorious life over the long, boring life!

Edit: His name will live on forever in history, like the Super Size Me guy. What's his name, again?

• Locked thread