Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I like how you think that you'll spend just $40/month on propane heating. But can't wait to see the actual numbers, hopefully other boat dwellers can give you some hard data.

As an actual carpenter who worked on boats, RVs and trailers, I've seen some crazy numbers. Nobody I know spends winters on boats/RVs, but trailers can get stupid expensive because of the poor insulation. We had something like 30 days below freezing in eastern PA last year, not a regular thing. During those months, some electric furnace trailers (that i know), were averaging $400/month. Some are buying pellet stoves/furnaces this year, safety be damned.

Also, boat engines are not car engines. Look into what some service intervals are, and what does it take to perform simple maintenance items. Some boats need to be out of the water for an oil change. Electrics may be finicky as well. Half of your stuff is AC, other half is DC. It's good that marina let's you use AC power, but you're probably paying extra.

I'm the guy who said get an RV instead. It's just as uncomfortable, but will cost much less. Hell, build your own out of a school bus. You can totally do that under 10 grand and have a kick rear end moving house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Yeah, definitely need some visual references here

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you don't want people interfering with the sale, don't post pictures of the boat you're currently negotiating. That should be common sense. You can always link to non-specific images for visual reference. Or other ads.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't know boats, here are some things that work well in trailers and RVs.

If that boat is gutted to the frame right now, spray foam insulation may be your best answer. You get about R19-21 insulation rating at 1" thickness. It's about twice as effective as 2" foam. About 79 cents fer square foot at 1" thickness, but most foam guys will insist on spraying no less than 2", which doubles the price. Make sure your windows are double pane and have thick curtains or roman shades that are flush with the surface. There is a track system that keeps them from moving. You're probably using paneling for your walls, get vinyl or cellular pvc instead of wood or particle based material.

Does 1 single heating furnace enough to cover multiple rooms?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

spwrozek posted:

You could get a real cabin.

Honestly I fully support you. Have a blast man. I bought a house so I could remodel it so I get the allure.
High five house project buddy!

kazmeyer posted:

A furnace is designed to work unattended. Very few people who warm their homes when they're not there are mind-bogglingly stupid enough to try to do it with a propane heater. The ones that do experience a phenomenon known as "increased risk of house fires." Please tell your insurance company when you're shopping for rates that you intend to leave a propane burner running for a loose dog on the boat and see what happens to your quote.
He linked an actual furnace that burns propane. Looks about as safe as the one in my, and possibly your house. It will have a fresh air intake and a chimney. He's not talking about portable open flame heaters.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

A house is basically a condo except you have to mow the lawn and maintain the driveway/roof/siding/etc, and there's some air between you and your neighbor (personally this doesn't affect me).
Except you own the land that's under the house. Which is the part that tends to go up first and hold it's value. Imagine being able to pint at the map and outline the actual piece of land that's yours. Instead of living in what essentially an apartment that you're paying endless lease for. Not having to rely on the rest of the condo association for anything is a wonderful thing.

Ask me about buying a condo in 2007...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Compared to the numbers people throw out in bad with money megathread, that's surprisingly reasonable.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Yeah, seriously. How about renting a houseboat for a week or two just to see how things go? I bet there are plenty of options come winter time

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hahahahaha
:perfect:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The RV-boat is also going to qualify for special financing and recreational insurance. I'm sure it cost at least 80k tho

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TLG James posted:

Why doesn't the dude just buy one of those semi popular tiny homes or cabins?

Why doesn't the dude just read the thread, especially the first post, where this question has been answered?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This thread got me researching some boat living, and I very much like to give it try. By renting one for a week, in the summer, at some scenic location.

I can get one through Airbnb for like $80/night. That is of course just to stay, not drive it around lake/river

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How is that stupid with money? He has deliberately budgeted for it, and it's money he is prepared to lose, in exchange for entertainment. Just because you disagree with him, doesn't make it a bad thing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hocus Pocus posted:

Would you considering compromising and living in a tiny house by a lake? Friend of mine just built a tiny house with salvaged and secondhand building materials and it cost him barely anything

Your friend is either unemployed, independently wealthy, or took a decade to do it. Having helped some friends build homes from scratch, let me assure you that a home with modern amenities is still 6 figures, even if you consider own labor costs worthless.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Barry posted:

Maybe you should google tiny house.
Some results show people living in goddamn shipping containers, jesus gently caress.

Also, maybe you should Google how much a lakeside land actually costs. Then getting it rezoned for residential construction. And then running municipal water and electricity to it. Then price out a septic tank installation. Because that's what makes it a house and not an isolated cabin, where you poo poo in the woods outside.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 22, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

They're not all like that. http://www.countryliving.com/home-design/g1887/tiny-house/

Obviously the nicer ones are more expensive, but being 1/10th to 1/4th the size of a typical house, with needing less land, means it does cost a lot less. And it won't sink into the frozen sea, leaving only bubbles from the bubblers in its wake.
http://clv.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/09/480x552/54eb9878d89d9_-_tiny-houses-relaxshacks-0215-xln-64680392.jpg
Are you for real

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Barry posted:

if you want to reduce your footprint (literally and figuratively)
Literally? Like, amputation or what?

And most of those stupid things are cabins, not houses. Which means no utilities are hooked up. The people who live in those things full time, sure. But it's not a standard of living, even in some 3rd world countries.

Edit: just saw an actual storage shed on that list, ha

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 22, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

I don't know about plumbing (I'm sure the one that seems to be built on a city lot does), but most of those clearly have electricity, unless a wizard is powering the lights.

...but why do you need water when you're living on running water? Think of all the savings if you just take a bath in the river and drink river water (just boil it, it's fine)
They have electricity because they're either houses on a grid with a public utility hookup or are cabins with a generator. What's the confusion here? Did a start an argument? Because my initial point was that you're not building a legal and permanent structure on a lake front land under 6 figures, as someone had suggested to the OP. Not building a house, to be specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Ideally, you want to keep your savings in case of emergency and finance the boat purchase. It may be worth waiting.

• Locked thread