Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Banker types suffer from a lack of imagination and have a problem I like to call "sound thinking" that makes them reluctant to make loans on boats older than 20 years which is what most of the boats in my price range are.

How long till that boat loan is underwater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SarutosZero posted:

It sounds like 20 year leases for a boat are a real thing but the idea of someone having one is really funny to me.

Just 232 more payments and that wreck at the bottom of the lake is all mine.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

antiga posted:

Make sure to ask the seller what he spends per year in maintenance and know that's the absolute lowest possible amount. I doubt electricity is really included in the docking fee or else someone would have docked the SS Bitcoin there by now and ruined it for everyone

Lots of things to be concerned about with a seller financing deal too but that's secondary to whether you can afford to cash flow the boat in the first place.

SS bitcoin moored on lake sealand. I think we figured out this goon's real plan. This boat investment will really pay off, use lake water to cool the mining rigs all powered by free electricity from the marina.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BaseballPCHiker posted:

**UPDATE**

Also the girlfriend really flipped her poo poo about the boat. Now HATES the idea, tells me I need to think reasonably, worried about the dog, etc, etc. Mostly because I think she had her heart set on moving to Alaska or out West after finishing school. I tried telling her that I could just flip the boat quickly or rent it out and how much money I'd be saving in the interim. Then she complained about how cold it would be and how you cant do anything on the Mississippi river with a houseboat on and on. I honestly think her mind will change once she sees some of these boats though. I think she's envisioning more a pontoon style leisure boat and not a floating cabin on the water. We'll see.

Sever

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Just get a canoe and a sleeping bag, If it starts to rain pull it up on the river bank and sleep under the canoe.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mind_Taker posted:

choose between your houseboat and your girlfriend. Good luck!

Or both the houseboat and GF become burdens and they both end up at the bottom of a river.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

flyboi posted:

Just want to point out that the ops window for executing this winter is closing pretty fast. We're already looking at 32F highs in South Dakota this weekend which means same goes for the op. Only going to get colder from here!

Actually its better when the lake is frozen over. He can walk away from the boat when it starts to sink in the middle of the night. Better than swimming away, rite?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Half a mill for that shed on a floating platform. Thats a good deal.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Maybe the bankers would take you seriously if you put the percentage sign after the number. 110% interest is the best I would offer you.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Bastard Tetris posted:

Goddamn, a '07 Beneteau 45 costs as much as my condo. Guessing frozen houseboat guy won't be able to swing that.

Humblebrag

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ice Lake Rebels posted:

Returning home from the mainland with his wife after a storm, they discovered their house had frozen in place on a notable tilt. It will be half a year before the ice will thaw and the house will again be level.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Have you tried going to a loan shark?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I think that was a very smart thing to do. You should be able to get this thrown out of court (if they are dumb enough to go that far) just cite this article as prior case precedent.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...g-to-terms.html

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
He could use this same idea for getting a boat loan. Simply apply for a house loan, get the paper work all filled out and then insert "boat" after "house".

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

FadingChord posted:

Aren't you getting evicted?

I'll take those odds.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SarutosZero posted:

When the next huge biblical flood comes who's gonna be laughing at all the rent paying nerds; you will be up on your houseboat.

Houseboat tied to dock does not rise when tide comes in. (bastardization of a rising tide lifts all boats or something)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Nail Rat posted:

I don't know about plumbing (I'm sure the one that seems to be built on a city lot does), but most of those clearly have electricity, unless a wizard is powering the lights.

...but why do you need water when you're living on running water? Think of all the savings if you just take a bath in the river and drink river water (just boil it, it's fine)

Ya no worries about whats been dumped upstream the EPA is totally on the peoples side and not bought out by large corporations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned portable tiny houses. Those are the ones I hear about the most. Hitch it to your truck or w/e and chill at an RV park I guess. This company is well-known and probably more on the expensive end.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

It's not my thing so I don't know the details, but it's nothing to rage over imo.

I'm intrigued

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/ella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

DuckConference posted:

Related question: Can you take a houseboat through the Panama Canal?

Its actually required to get your home boat captain's license

• Locked thread