Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My guess with Rey is that her reluctance to use the saber and the reason for her being on Jakku are the same; she's rejecting her "destiny" as a Skywalker or Solo. i also don't think Finn will end up a Jedi, at least by the end of TFA. The character seems far more suited to taking up the cause of the Resistance and being on the front lines. There's also merch and posts from Boyega's now-deleted Instagram that seem to suggest he and Chewie are the new pilot/copilot of the Falcon, possibly with Poe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That's the thing, Poe is the big 3 character we've seen the least of in trailers and leaks. We know he's captured on Jakku, we know he helps Finn escape, he's obviously in some atmospheric battle, probably on Takodana (pirate planet) and...that's it. Having Poe bite it would be super disappointing. Isaac is probably the actor I'm most looking forward to seeing in the Star Wars setting. Dude knocks it out in every movie I've seen so far.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Where was it stated that Ford was signed on for three movies? The only actors I thought had been signed for the whole trilogy were Boyega and Ridley?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He's probably a snake-man, but part of me wishes he was one of the weirder ethereal force beings from the Clone Wars cartoon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He has a right to dislike his own loving work, you autists.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

apparently the sphere part of BB8 is also a storage compartment since Rey/Poe hide the blue lightsaber in it? to me it doesn't look big enough, but I haven't seen enough size comparison next to a person.

the blue lightsaber floating through space thing is kinda dumb. I'm sure it will be downplayed and explained away by the Force, destiny, etc. so I dont care

The first trailer made him look real small, but it looks like he's actually knee-height and fairly large.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
We know the Falcon survives though, Rey takes it to find Luke at the very end of the movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still can't believe Donnie Yen and the Raid dudes are in Star Wars movies now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is Bb-8 cool? Is Phasma badass? Is Poe a worthy successor to Wedge? Does Ello Asty survive? These are the important questions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Filming in Skellig Michel is over, but they also scouted or shot area stuff at a nearby island a few weeks ago because of weather and some environmental stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I keep seeing people say this but I don't get it - didn't all the rebels in the OT have pretty much the same helmet? What makes it look like Luke's specifically?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Viewed only through what we see in the movies, the helmet is pretty distinctively Luke's.

It absolutely is not Luke's. Same model, but very different paint scheme. I can't find a pic of the helmet Rey wears, but here's Luke's for reference.

The one Rey plays with was white with yellow and blue details. All X-Wing pilots in the OT had the same model helmet, but "hero" Pilots all had distinct paint schemes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Luke is whiny, but that's kind of the point. He's literally a teenager in A New Hope and watching him grow up and mature over the course of the series is great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Chewie is not the film's protagonist. Rey is, that's why she gets the scene. It's the OT grieving Han's loss with the new audience.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Danger posted:

If the one dude who says he was at premier is right this movie is gonna be super divisive in the vein of the prequels. Not a movie to please super OT fans. Johnson said he was a prequel fan though.

I don’t buy it. He’s being super evasive about details and keeps trotting out the “It’s a popcorn Disney movie” argument when pressed for them. Luke’s death especially, all these overly-positive twitter reactions would have “amazing, but heartbreaking” or some variation if that were the case. 90% of what he’s leaking either came out earlier this week in the book leaks or could have been inferred from what we already knew.

The starwarsleaks reddit will probably have a confirmed attendee tomorrow or Tuesday who’ll do an AMA.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Danger posted:

Another Reddit dude with photos of his passes and pictures from the after party corroborates some of the wackier stuff with Luke at the end.

Do you have a link? I don't see anything on starwarsleaks or the main starwars reddits.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Milky Moor posted:

No idea. Spoilers are limited to terse plot points so far. But if these leaked plot points are true... :chloe:

If true, some of the stranger plot elements sound like they’d be better in proper context.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

He was directed by Doug Liman in Jumper, and he was terrible in that.

The most memorable part of Jumper for me was when the film reel caught fire and the $1 Theater refunded our tickets. What an awful, awful movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Knights of Ren thing really throws me for a loop because didn’t spy shots show Daisy and Mark fighting a big group of dark-clothed people on Skellig? This was the same spy shot stuff that seemed to confirm Adam Driver on Skellig too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Rogue One was a different situation though, a lot of the “iconic” moments from the trailers came from Edwards continuing to roll camera between takes just to play around (Jyn in the lighted hallway) and from the marketing team purposely inserting new stuff into trailers (TIE vs Jyn). That’s quite different from flying a big group of extras/stuntmen to an island that’s wary about large numbers of visitors and rehearsing a battle scene with your leads just so a fan site can take spy shots from two miles away. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part, but that doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zoran posted:

Super :laffo: in particular at every single bit of foreshadowing and deliberate obfuscation surrounding Rey, her parentage, and especially her connection to Luke.

Everything we learn about her parents in TLJ seems to come from a vision that Kylo receives, so he could easily be lying or misinterpreting what he saw. There’s also some implication that Snoke is influencing his visions in some way, so I feel like there’s enough of an out if JJ wanted to go back to the seemingly obvious Skywalker connection.

I don’t care about her parentage either way, I’m just saying.

Luke’s death sounds way better in proper detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Phi230 posted:

The TIE vs Jyn thing was cut due to reshoots tho

Nope.

quote:

If you were wondering how the scene would have played out pre-reshoots, director Gareth Edwards has the answer for you: it wouldn’t, as it was only ever intended to appear in the trailers.

“That’s going to have to remain a mystery,” Edwards tells EW. “It was something the marketing team fell in love with. We knew it would not be in the film. It’s one of those things where all the trailers are put together way before the film comes out. It wasn’t a specific part of the story.”

• Locked thread