Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
So does 3PO have a red arm for any particular reason now, you think? Is it just another nerd-cred thing because he's back to having a regular gold shin, but still needs to have one off-model body part, or is JJ like a huge Metal Gear fan and it's a shout-out to Venom Snake or something? I can't imagine it having any real story relevance, other for someone to go 'why does everything the Skywalker family touch inevitably have a body part severed'

Also, a lot of the leaks don't really seem to have any mention of Phasma. Is she purely a marketing ploy for 'badass character to sell toys' ala Boba Fett or something more? One theory that I heard - that I can't find the source of again - is that she's the First Order's primary anti-Jedi / Force User soldier, and Finn has something to with her unit, which is how he knows how to use a lightsaber, and how there's toys out there of First Order troopers with shields like in the original Ep4 concept art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
The leaked scene-by-scene does mention that there's a sequence where Kylo contacts his actual true boss, above Snoke Every Day, so I'm betting that the Knights Of Ren are just another front for the Sith coming back. I mean, there is one Sith still left alive, as far as we know. The Clone Wars cartoon, which is still canon, never got around to explaining exactly what Palpatine ended up doing with Maul after he came back.

Or poo poo, why not pull a Spider-Man and get a Clone Saga going. I mean it worked so well in the EU...

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Plagueis did boast (through Palpatine) that he held control over life and death. What if Kylo's a Vader fanboy not because he's in super love with him, but the body / cells of Vader are the key to bringing himself back to physical form and the Knights of Ren are just a cult he founded to help survive the inevitable betrayal of his apprentice? If the whole point of Anakin being created by Plagueis was so that he had a new body to cheat death forever in, one engineered to be super powerful in the Force?

I mean we've had rumours from MakingStarWars about Christensen being called back for scenes in Episode 8 (although I think that's unlikely) but hell, I'd be happy to give him a second shot with a director other than Lucas.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

We have Starkiller Base in the new one, which is a base that kills stars to blow up systems.

And the first big conflict we saw in the original Star Wars was a bunch of people fighting a war against a (Death) star.

Star Wars does subtlety like Disney does licensing.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Gonz posted:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/andy-serkis-drops-details-snoke-star-wars-force-awakens/
[/i]

This is a surprising revelation, and one which leads to a lot of new questions about Star Wars: The Force Awakens, especially as a gigantic creature like this is going to be a first for the franchise. How will the heroes possibly combat a threat this massive and what exactly is Snoke?! That remains to be seen, but the movie just got even more intriguing, that’s for sure.

Or, you know, he's just standing on something really tall above the characters.

My money's on him being an evil Snork.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

So if his name isn't really Kylo, what are the odds it's a bastardisation of his real name? Kyle "Katarn" Solo.

And, obviously, Rey "Gun" Solo.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

MrMojok posted:

What's a rathtar?

best eating this side of dantooine

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I think it's less that Harrison Ford hates star wars and more that he's been aloof and disinterested and somewhat drunk in basically every interview for the past decade.

Real talk, I think he suffers from social anxiety that makes him seem that way in most public appearances. He likes acting, and doesn't really hate the movies he's in, more than he dreads more than anything the whole whoopla that goes with selling a modern film to an audience.

[citation provided: http://www.healthcentral.com/anxiety/c/22705/36519/celebrities-public/ ]

I'm sure he's a perfectly happy grandpa otherwise. Even then, Sir Alec still probably walked all over him as Biggest Star Wars Grump.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Nessus posted:

Wasn't Ford a carpenter originally who kind of stumbled into acting?

He was an actor who couldn't get enough stable or paying work, so he went into carpentry to pay the bills for his family. He's self-taught and built some cupboards for Francis Ford Coppola!

e: new page bold prediction, Phasma won't have any spoken lines in the whole film

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

a starwar betamax posted:

SPOILER ALERT: jj abrhams kills of entire OT cast in amazing REBOOT of series

Honestly expecting this to be the case over the next three movies. Han in this one, Leia in the next, and Luke in the last. I can't imagine that they'd be signed on for more appearances after this new trilogy.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Maybe Snoke is an even bigger Vader fanboy than Kylo, even going so far as to apply Authentic Battle Damage to himself to better emulate his true husbando Vader-kun.

e: Ana-kun Skywalker.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Just saw the movie. Yeah it's essentially a retread of A New Hope, but the new cast was refreshing enough that it didn't bother me (I mean, the threshold for bad Star Wars movies is pretty low at this point). I had to laugh when they even had a trench run part featuring Diet Porkins from Alias and every other JJ film ever. On the whole, the pacing was probably the 'worst' part for me - it was fast but there was very little decompression or breathing space. Everything was beat-beat-beat-plot point-beat-beat. It could have used a couple slower scenes, but I can understand why they would have been the first to hit the cutting room floor for today's moviegoing audience.

Ben Solo's arc is going to be interesting and honestly I didn't mind his whiny, tantrum-throwing scenes. It definitely felt like the Anakin we should have gotten. People seem to be complaining about Rey's piloting ability but her natural talent is fine with me - she's been a scavenger her whole life, so she'd know mechanics enough to know what the Falcon's had done to it, plus after she and Finn fight the TIEs off they have a fan girl moment together where they're both like OH MY GOD HOW DID WE DO THAT I HAVE NO IDEA YOU WERE AWESOME BAE so I'm happy to chalk that up to the Force. BB-8 was great and I liked how he seemed to be an R2 fanboy - rushing straight up to him after his latest adventure to see if he's awake to hear it :3:

It did dawn on me that Kylo's name gave away the spoiler by itself. Kylo - Kyl O - Kill Lo - Kill Solo. I mean, Star Wars isn't known for subtle names.

So, Rey's the natural talent at the Force, likely being the Skydaughter. Finn probably has the talent but he'd be the Leia to her Luke - has the potential, but wouldn't be strong enough to qualify as Jedi in the old system. I'm guessing that he's going to be the main antagonist in Episode 8, while Rey's off training with Luke (and some Force Ghosts), becoming a Big Deal in the Resistance until they meet up again at the end, probably ala Empire where she senses he's in danger and abandons her training early to save him - only this time Luke will also go with her, and just fuckin' own some punks with the Force.

Overall I enjoyed the film and thought it did exactly what it needed to do - entertain me, not be poo poo, and sustain my interest and disposable income enough to look forward to the next ones.

e: Snoke is probably Plagueis. I mean, he was the Sith Lord whose own apprentice bragged about being master over life-and-death, and Snoke sure looks like a dead person.

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 19, 2015

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

C3PO is big boss and BB8 played him like a drat fiddle!

SUCH A LUST FOR TRANSLATION

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Speaking of how good the lightsaber fights were, holy poo poo did I love the sound of Kylo's saber. That thing was a loving growling animal and I loved it.

I think people are giving Finn and Rey too much credit with the saber. Finn swung the thing around like a stick on fire, and lost every fight he started with it. Rey spent most of her fight on the defensive and running away, and it wasn't until she trusted in the Force, remembering that Kylo was afraid of her being stronger than him, that helped her to stalemate it. But holy poo poo did I prefer all of those fights to anything in the prequel. Way more emotion and power behind everything, something we cared about actually at stake, and just the sheer lethality of swinging a frozen blaster bolt at everything was just super loving well done.

e: I don't mind that Finn is particularly great at anything or has 'nothing' at the end of this film, apart from a hell of a Space Obamacare bill. It's his arc; he had no identity and personality before this film and his journey will be about finding out about the kind of person he actually is. It wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the next one, he abandons the Resistance and is probably tempted to go back to his old life or something. Have an ordinary person be the one tempted by the 'dark side' instead.

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 20, 2015

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Tunahead posted:

I wonder what the deal with holographic Snopes is. JJ Abrams doesn't really do subtle, so there must be a reason. Was the Emperor a hologram a lot in the original trilogy? I forget. If he was, it's probably that. If he wasn't, it's probably a twist of some kind. I think someone in this very thread said maybe Snopes is a ghost pretending to be a hologram, but there are also other possibilities. Size, for instance. Maybe Snopes is crazy tiny. Like, Thumbelina size. Or maybe Cairo Len is powerfully insane and there is no Snopes.

Yeah, we don't see the Emperor in person in the original trilogy until the last movie, so that's probably it. It'd be cool if it was like the corpse of Palpatine floating in a tank somewhere, and the hologram is an in-universe CGI projection or something.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

My understanding was the Resistance was a part of the New Republic that refused to accept the peace that came after the Empire either fell or fell apart into various warring factions. Like, the New Republic was like 'leave them alone and let us just concentrate on rebuilding the galaxy' but the Resistance wouldn't rest until every last Imperial remnant was arrested or executed. They're essentially a paramilitary group doing some black-op hush-hush poo poo that officially the Republic must denounce but I'm sure there'd be plenty of sympathisers bankrolling them. Leia'd be their big face of public legitimacy but I can totally see her doing some pretty drat shady poo poo on the side.

It would be interesting to see if there were any other Imperial offshoots that might still be swanning around the galaxy, having turf wars of legitimacy against the First Order. And Snoke being behind all of them, and the reason he appears in hologram is so that he looks like someone different to each of them.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Kylo probably wants to find Luke so he can sign his super limited edition holographic foil trading cards.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Star Wars is a franchise about shockingly competent people with abandonment issues managing to lead terrible lives; I'm not sure where he's coming from there. She's good at things, but she has The Force, which is a proven buff to basically being great at everything even when you're untrained.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Max Landis is a screenwriter who wrote Chronicle and scored a bunch of nerd cred by doing some really good Superman / comics videos, the great Wrestling Isn't Wrestling video, and hanging out with the RLM guys not being a huge jerk there. He has a reputation for being unlikeable because he's an opinionated guy or something? I think a lot of it's jealousy and assuming that he's only gotten where he is just because of his famous dad (which helped, but he's put in plenty of his own hard work and talent). He's fine but prone to typical outraged-nerdesque outbursts which he's usually pretty quick to articulate and justify.

He's ok.

e: that's probably too many words kinda defending someone who i don't know personally and whose only crime seems to having opinions that are different from my own but harmless to our probable mutual enjoyment of the source material :shrug:

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 20, 2015

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Yeah that's fair; I think a big thing from his RLM interview is that he's aware of the inherent hypocrisy that people have about things that he's written versus what he rags on other movies for doing, but a common defence of his is that he's just a cog in the grand filmmaking machine so what he writes and how it eventually is interpreted through a million layers of studio involvement are two very different things. I don't necessarily fault that defence, either, especially when TFA itself rather obviously feels like it had a lot of very carefully managed hand-holding from the Disney executives to ensure that it satisfied the boners wallets of nerds everywhere.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we never get a Rebels shoutout in any of the live action movies. Like maybe if Luke has an Entmoot moment and outta nowhere summons a buttload of Jedi-likes to fight some huge last battle and maybe there'd be some implicit cameos there. But even though they're all canon, I think their arcs wouldn't intersect with the main movies at all.

Rogue One would be the most likely movie for them to get a shoutout, but even this far out people are expecting it to be a Jedi/Force-less affair.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I don't know why, but my favorite part of Rey's day to day on Jakku was the scene where she makes bread for her weird gummy rations. Its the little things in this movie that are sticking with me.

I dunno man, maybe it's because I do a lot of baking in real life, but that bread was a more legit 'HOLY poo poo SCIENCE FICTION' moment for me than nearly any sci-fi film for decades. Like, that poo poo was technomagical.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Was there any sort of canon reason the Resistance wasnt using Y-Wings (which are heavy loving bombers) to bomb the Starkiller Base or are X-Wings multi purpose now?

Y-Wings were already outdated by the end of the Clone Wars. The only reason the Rebellion used them is because they were cheap and (relatively) reliable. The X-Wings were always meant to be their replacement, being as-good a bomber but massively more competent as a general fighter role (and then were replaced in that role largely by A-Wings, and then the bombing duties shifting over to the B-Wing, so I guess the real question is why didn't we see those, although again we only see what the Resistance uses, not the Republic, so who knows.)

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

The real shock will come when they finally corner Snoke in person, and he throws away his robe, revealing a little babby Sheev Palpatine growing from his chest Total Recall style.

I'd be so loving down with that. Doubly so if he does his fly-scream-twirl thing out of Snoke's chest to make his escape.

e:

If anything I hope this Kylo Ren, Vader Fanboy thing lasts forever. It's never not funny to think of a young Ben Solo making GBS threads up Space Reddit with his Sith apologism, just knowing deep in his heart that his cool evil grandpa would totally understand him...

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 22, 2015

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

You know she can still be Luke's biological daughter without him being knowledgeable or involved in her conception. We're all eyeing the Snoke = Plagueis line as it is.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Chewie and Leia didn't really have much to do with each other. He was her not-husband's business partner - no matter how long they'd been in business, they wouldn't really have a huge amount to do with each other if they didn't have to. Especially with Han smugglin' every chance he gets, and probably trying the family life thing when he's not, Chewie probably spent a lot of time in cantinas waiting for them to have another fight and trial separation.

Or maybe he's like super racist against humans after the Clone Wars / Empire and Han is literally the only human being he can stand to be around for more than 10 minutes.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Avalanche posted:

Is the episode 8 script even written yet? Here's a thought: maybe all the ambiguity with the characters is due to no one thinking about where to take the characters and plot quite yet.

There's a thing going around the news sites saying that the script is written and JJ is sad that he's not directing it because he thinks it's great.

Calling it now. It'll have a Hoth battle but instead of snow, it'll be on sand. It's like poetry!

e: and apparently there was at least a draft finished during the filming of EpVII, as Rian Johnson (or whoever) was able to get a couple things into the shooting script to help him set up things for it. I doubt Disney wouldn't already have this thing plotted out in vague terms and ultimate destination. They're not going to go into this thing half-assed.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Obviously this is what it should be, as I've always imagined it to be the traditional undergarment for a Sith/Jedi.

Looking more and more likely that Darth Vader will make an appearance in Rogue One, too. That'd be cool, that sweet moment where the heist looks like it's going perfectly and they're about to walk out underneath the Imperial's noses when BAM, red lightsaber outta nowhere and he just straight up murders everyone. I'd also hope they put Hayden Christensen inside the suit again, because I really don't think he'd be bad under anyone but Lucas, and two because it'd make half the internet melt down.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Looke posted:

i know a lot of this is just fan bullshit, but i always get scared that it might be true

I don't think you need to worry about this being true. There's not a single part of that I even remotely believe. Even fuckin' Supershadow was better than that.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Phi230 posted:

What makes you guys tgink that EP 8 is even going to be leaked in any way

Because a decent enough amount of EP7 was? I mean, yeah, it was months of stupid poo poo like you see above, but come six months out from launch we had some pretty reliable stuff that turned out accurate. We didn't know everything, but we knew poo poo like Han Solo dying from ages out.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Is that an out-of-suit Darth Vader?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

I don't get why he'd be in the tank, though. It's not like he was floating around waiting for the Vader suit to be built. It was good to go like 3 seconds after he got his dumb rear end volcanoed. And the only time after that we see him without the suit on, he was inside his Vader Dome with his helmet off.

I'm not saying that it's not him, just that I don't know why he'd be in a bacta tank unless something hosed him up horribly and destroyed his suit, and Rogue One's not that movie considering it's supposed to end like minutes before we see him stroll aboard the Tantive IV in A New Hope.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

I giggled at their line about how was too extreme for the Rebellion. Like, you're fighting a government that's building a planet killing space laser. What the hell was Saw doing that Mon Mothma was like 'aw geez that's too far'?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A lot of the early leaks were about her spending the whole movie in a coma or otherwise out of action. I'm sure there's a board meeting going on as we speak about how to CGI in an end for Leia.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who was in that costume anyway?

A different celebrity for every shot.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

It's weird that today's Star Wars Cushing would look perfect in Hammer's Cushing movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

BarronsArtGallery posted:

ah yes but the question that matters: is he good at spinning?

• Locked thread