Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Interdictor Cruiser \o/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Rebellion didn't just want to overthrow the Empire, they wanted to restore the Republic and govern afterward. So they were big on avoiding collateral damage.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I only saw R1 in 2D because I have no desire to see 3D movies, but Tarkin looked good to me.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We may never see CGI Tarkin again. I mean, there just aren't any more stories to tell about him.

We're going to see more Leia, though. Not just in VIII and IX, but at some point they're going to start making "A Star Wars Stories" about the time in between Episodes VI and VII. Even if Carrie Fisher were alive she wouldn't be playing young(er) Leia, so they're going to have to choose between recasting the role, or CGI Leia forever.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Saw's differences/disputes with the rest of the rebellion are really the only thing I think needed more backstory.

But I guess that's what the Rebels cartoon is for? I haven't seen it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Palpatine's mentor Plegius (or however it's spelled) was obsessed with figuring out how to cheat death and live forever, so I figure he's probably Snoke. Maybe that's the easy and obvious answer but it's also the lowest effort solution for movie writers.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Darth Plegius' entire shtick was figuring out the secrets to eternal life and immortality. I'm sure Palpatine thought he killed him. Palpatine also thought Vader wouldn't toss him down a bottomless pit one day.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Palpatine's empire was the New Order and a writer thought that sounded cool, so the new empire is the First Order, because calling it the Second Order or New New Order invites questions a writer doesn't want to answer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Edit: now I want Kylo to say these words

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jar Jar Binks is Darth Snoke

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Barudak posted:

Nooooooooooooo

Do Not Want

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ammanas posted:

I dunno I kind of agree with him. All the poo poo Luke put up with, some punk burning down his house shattered him that badly? We'll see

Luke's options were:

A) Hunt down and kill his nephew

B) Go off alone somewhere to contemplate option A

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

homullus posted:

He also could have tried talking to him

You know, like he successfully did with Darth Vader

maybe he killed Luke's wife and dumped their baby on a desert planet somewhere, huh

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Isn't the dumb EU explanation for the Emperor's power grab that the Sith knew an extra-galactic alien invasion force was coming in a few decades to genocide everyone? Thus the need for dictatorial power to build a big fuckoff star fleet to save everyone.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

General Dog posted:

Yeah as far as we know Luke is really never functionally a part of the Rebellion again post-Hoth, save him tagging along to Endor and then ducking out as soon as possible.

I imagine the rank and file Rebels think he's a total dickhead, just coming and going whenever he pleases, basically never doing anything and resting on his war hero status.

I don't think I'd agree with that, but it's clear that after Hoth, he's basically outside the Rebellion's normal chain of command. He's the only living Jedi they know of and most of the Rebel leaders are old enough to definitely know and remember what the Jedi were. So once he's been "knighted" by Yoda, he's essentially his own 1-person branch of the military.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

AYY TEE KNEE TEE

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

she's a Druish princess

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They tried to clone Palpatine but they accidentally switched the Y chromosome to an X

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think it would have been better if they'd actually copied 33 and had the resistance fleet jump away every time the FO caught up with them, then had the fleet's ships' hyperdrives fail one by one instead of running out of fuel.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Did I imagine it, or did the kid at the end use the force to pull the broom into his hand? He telekinetically moved it an inch or so.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rose is a bad character played by a bad actress.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I actually do think Phasma died in that trash compactor. I think she died on Snoke's ship. I think she'll be back to die again in IX.

I think Snokie was experimenting with the old clone technology.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Benicio Del Toro's character told the Imper- sorry, First Orderers- about the rebel transports heading for the planet. But how did he know about the rebel transports heading for the planet? I don't remember Finn and Rose telling him (I admit I could have missed this, but the friend I saw the movie with also didn't catch it), and they don't seem like they really trusted him beyond his part of their mission.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Farchanter posted:

I think they gave DJ enough information to hack the Resistance fleet, and he took what he needed.

If that's the case then the movie should have shown it or said it. He obviously needed physical access to hack Snoke's dreadnought, and he was never on a Resistance ship.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Okay. I guess I just missed that scene. Probably scraping popcorn residue out of the bucket.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

"campy comedy" isn't how I'd describe the annihilation of the resistance and death of Luke, but there was bad humor involved so I guess I can see how certain types of people might be confused

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Was the color off at many theaters, or did people actually see blue milk?

that milk was definitely blue

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bushisms.txt posted:

And Rose is a better written more rounded character than Luke in ANH, so I can't complain.

She might have been better if they'd hired an actress who could act

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The monorail train, I guess

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Production order just seems like the most logical viewing order to me. Especially if you're introducing the series to an adult who's lived under a rock and not seen it. 4/5/6/1/2/3/7/8/9

Edit: 4/5/6, 1/2/3, 4/5/6 again, 7/8/9

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 6, 2018

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

The problem with the bomber sequence in TLJ is that everyone who's been critical of the scene has probably played their fair share of X-Wing or TIE Fighter on PC thus making them an expert on how that entire situation should have panned out.

heavy bombs, gently caress those space platforms up

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rey has no clear idea who her parents were. Kylo probably has no idea who her parents were but might want to gently caress with her. Snoke probably knew but he had no reason to be honest and definitely wanted to gently caress with her. Luke might have known but he wanted her to stop thinking about that stuff and leave.

Maybe they really were "nobody," but I see no reason to trust that answer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

galagazombie posted:

Seems weird to add her after Luke's already dead when her main gimmick was being Luke's love interest.

her new gimmick is being Rey's mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I hope it's just some random protocol droid that insulted in passing

• Locked thread