Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just wanted to say that this was the worst Star Wars movie they have made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

My favorite part was the opening crawl where they instantly erased everything that had been fought for in the original trilogy and TFA.

The second best part was the next scene where Poe establishes that he is invincible, star destroyers are completely impotent, and the top general from the first order is a slapstick villain from kimpossible

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

tadashi posted:

You know how I know this movie was good? Because people have very strong opinions about it and are passionate in their reactions.

This a complete non-sequitur

If they showed three hours of Luke hanging out with Porgs normal people would hate it and the fanboys would defend it as a “necessary departure from series norms”.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Nah, people would run out of things to talk about in that movie pretty quick. People are going to be talking about this movie for a long time.

Packing a movie to the gills with incoherent crap isn’t really an improvement here

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

If it was shot like a documentary and narrated by Attenborough that'd be a great film.

Don’t get me wrong, it would be head and shoulders better than the actual movie

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Can someone explain what the gently caress happened with Luke at the end.

Like, did he die in that explosion at the tree and was just sixth sensing us the rest of the movie?

For a fantasy adventure movie, at a bare minimum I’d like to be able to comprehend what the gently caress I watched.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Lol are you fake posting.

Did he just die from exhaustion?

If he did then why bother having him not actually be there.

Why not just have him properly Obi-wan out?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The entire sequence of every AT-AT shooting him is so dumb and devoid of tension. Why is this movie trying so hard to be a matrix sequel.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

tadashi posted:

It's a lot easier to sell Force-based projections in a movie where that has already happened than it is to sell the idea that Luke somehow snuck past all of the First Order into that cave.

I figured he could have shown up in his X-Wing that they show early on.

Figured that was Chekov’s x-wing but I guess they had to do some over the top bullshit with the force instead.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

tadashi posted:

That X-Wing had probably been in the water since he landed there a very long time ago. I don't think it was supposed to be functional but I'm sure it was a red herring.

Well yeah that does make sense

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Also, what was with all the crappy one-liners deflating nearly every single dramatic scene?

It seriously felt like a lovely Guardians of the Galaxy spinoff where the characters have to be winking at the audience in every scene.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm glad you've enjoyed your first Star Wars movie ever.

The quips in the original trilogy were actually good and not awful tho

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

Great comment kid, that was one in a million.

I seriously doubt you can remember any of the one liners from this movie that weren’t just calling back to better ones from the original trilogy.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

It's salt.

Classic

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hux is the empires jar jar basically.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Let’s just ignore this enemy star fighter heading straight for us and not shoot at all or deploy any fighters or do literally anything basic protocol would call for so we can get some hamfisted jokes in and establish that this movie will have ongoing issues with tone

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Poe was establishing diplomatic parley. Or feinted diplomatic parley to stall.

Why would a star fighter do that and why wouldn’t they deploy their fighters in what was already a fight

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I’m sure it’s already been discussed, but those space bombers have some SERIOUS design flaws.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

"What's the First Order basic protocol when it comes to a lone snub fighter approaching just out of cannon fire range, sir?"

"Launch all fighters, ready central cannons!!!!!"

Why about when they were literally in combat with another carrier.

Wouldn’t that be a good time to have fighters deployed or at least ready to go?

Like, if a single starfighter can disable your point defenses effortlessly then yeah, they probably should have been ready here?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

The Hux line reminded me of Han stalling over the intercom in A New Hope. Just a bunch of gibberish buying time (though obviously Han was hoping they'd buy it, but didn't really think it would work. Same effect.)

But he did need to stall. That was, like, his whole given mission from Leia. Stall while we get the transports away. Also, he seemed to be charging up his engines for his big burst of speed.

They weren't planning on needing fighters if other fighters weren't around. One fighter showed up, Hux wanted to monologue because he's a big blow hard. He probably should have just deployed fighters, which is reflected in the Commander (or whatever rank) of the Dreadnaught who said, "We need to deploy fighters! ...five minutes ago." But Poe knew Hux would want to be all pompous, and hosed with him to stall a bit. And, I mean, it worked. Poe just hosed up in a different way a little while later.

It’s clearly a call-back to han on the prison intercom.

Except he immediately failed his persuasion roll and was found out.

Because the villains in the original trilogy aren’t all slapstick comedy actors and are actually threatening.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

Uhh, they're pretty dang slapstick.

The stormtroopers are, but I really can’t think of any officers in the original trilogy who were over the top Disney slapstick villains

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Are you saying Hux is slapstick?

Kylo beating on him is a recurring comedic motif

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Why did the space adventure make the Nazi look dumb?

Being arrogant about your combat capabilities is one thing.

Completely ignoring an obvious threat is really not the same.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Sith Lords force choking navy admirals ?? In my Star Wars?? Never !!

He straight up squeals and is used as a punchline.

In the OT people getting force choked was legitimately frightening.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Fart City posted:

Yeah, Empire has one of the best visual gags in the entire series when one of the star destroyers runs into an asteroid and the admiral's hologram just blinks out during a Vader conference call.

That’s a great shot but I never really read it as slapstick.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Why didn't Captain Needa launch Tie Fighters in response to the Falcon taking up an attack posture in ESB?

Why does the Empire only send FOUR fighters after the Falcon ever at one time?

Why don't they treat it as the appropriate threat like they should, like, ever?

They did at least shoot at the falcon.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

I'm sorry the movie made fun of the nazi officer.

The entire problem with Kylo Ren and the Alt right empire is that these caricatures of male entitlement, arrogance, and fragility actually make for pretty poor villains in a fantasy adventure film.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

THe Magic Crystal Foxes don't actually save them.

Yeah even Snoke has enough of it and tells Kylo to get rid of the cosplay mask. (Tho he's also setting up the internet dating session with Rey).

That whole scene with him smashing the mask just seemed like Disney saying “this element polled really poorly in the first film, so we’re cutting it”

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The bombers were clearly a terrible design as evidenced by the fact that they all shredded like paper after a single one of them went down.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Everything in Star Wars shreds like paper unless it's a capital ship with shields or piloted by a protagonist and even then sometimes it still happens.

Also the more main characters that are on a ship the more it can withstand.

Why’d the fly so close if they were all cheap firecrackers tho

I’m not trying to obsess over minutiae, I just have a hard time buying into anything this movie presented to me.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AccountSupervisor posted:

Hux came to power because his father is the literal co-founder of the First Order(along with an Admiral Sloane) and as a child was even taken under the wing of the man instructed by the Emperor to sabotage the Empire and Rebellion should the Emperor die. His dad was abusive and Hux has been with the FO since the start. He helped enslave and brutally train all the earliest child soldiers that would become Storm Troopers and has a massive entitlement complex because he was there before Snoke AND Kylo. Hes got a massive chip on his shoulder. Read the books, because like SW has always been, a lot of its characters in the movies are vague representations of larger themes until you read the EU, in which the backstory is filled out. Thats always how this franchise has worked.

You shouldn’t have to read the books for the movie to make sense.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Meatgrinder posted:

This is an extremely small thing, but when the codebreaker tells Finn: "Let me learn you something very important", that's a way to signal the character's lack of language skills, right? Like the scene in GoT where Jamie Lannister gets chewed out by his dad for being illiterate and Jamie reacts with "I could care less". I mean, I'm not a native speaker, but a gaffe like that would never be unintentional, right?

That’s correct actually, just archaic.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

So leia is going to be in the next one then?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

aware of dog posted:

Which I hope they stick to. I'll eat my hat if episode IX doesn't have a Leia funeral scene in the first half of the movie, if not at the very beginning.

This is what bothered me the most about her Mary Poppins resurrection.

It seemed like they were killing her off early like everyone expected, then you get those shots of her crystallizing with this sort of holy reverence, and you think it’s Disney saying farewell but nope, gotta drag this corpse along for another two hours.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I thought the RLM prequel stuff all seemed pretty insightful though I could live without the running gag in that series being the abuse of prostitutes.

Why are their opinions bad tho ?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Their prequel trilogy reviews are literally better than the prequels themselves. I don't see their opinions as "bad" so much as they represent the opinions of the subsection of fans who, if they were mind-wiped and made to watch it again, would hate RoTJ with the fiery passion of a thousand Hayden christensens all crying out in fury and being suddenly silenced.

It isn't that they're wrong, it's that they've lost so much of that joy that was the core of being a star wars fan. That recognition that star wars has always been a little dumb and a hint of mst3k is required to raise them from merely pretty good merchandise fodder to transcendent masterpieces.

In other words: the prequels broke them as they broke so many of us, but they never got over it.

Star Wars was good up until the third act of RotJ though, that’s fair and true.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

The space battle over the moon of Endor, the throne room confrontation between Luke, Vader and The Emperor, the ground battle between the Empire and the Rebels all take place in the third act. I can see you disliking 1/3 of those but all 3? What the poo poo man.

Those are all great but the Ewoks really do ruin it for me idk man it’s just so cynical

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It just kinda sucks that Poe, Rose, Finn, and frankly Rey have no real influence on anything that happens in this entire movie.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Well the natural balance would be for neither side to fight for an empire. The state of nature. But humans hosed that up.
So long tho as there are Jedi their will be Sith and so on forever. That's why Luke wanted to destroy the Jedi.

It will be interesting to see how the last movie resolves this.

“That’s how we’re going to win. Not fighting what we hate. Saving what we love.”- Rose to Finn

[Giant death laser intensifies]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry, I meant criticism of that thing not belonging in a Star Wars movie. Like everyone whinging that the crank call doesn't belong in Star Wars despite Han Solo crank calling death star security in A New Hope.

The problem isn’t what they’re doing.

It’s that they’re directly copying their predecessors but doing a terrible job.

• Locked thread