Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
No mention of Elan Sleazebaggano, the sleazy drug pusher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Oh man if "Scherzo for X Wings" is even half as good as "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" we're in loving business.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

CJ posted:

How was the music? Are there tracks that will be as iconic as Duel of the Fates or Binary Sunset?

I just listened to the soundtrack, and there's nothing on there that really scream "you will be humming this/instantly remembering this forever" but there are some highlights that might work better for me in context

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

cargohills posted:

Travel didn't exactly take long in the previous films either.

They had time to play space chess and do lightsaber training on the way from Tatooine to Alderaan.

From what I'm hearing, the quick pace might be the one thing I don't love about this movie. ANH and ESB had lots of time to breathe.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Darko posted:

Speaking of soundtracks, and while it's still up - Rey's motiff is excellent and constantly used in the film (watch before it's taken down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVw_oV-jLXw)

John Williams has just gotten to be a more complex composer as he aged, and works more on flow than obvious song-styled thematics. If you look at Jaws or Superman or ESB, he does a lot of "one contained piece" scoring when something big happens, but towards the 90s, he stopped doing that as much and worked with more interwoven scoring. It makes things less "hummable" or whatever, but makes for better scoring. The last time he's scored like the 80s was Duel of the Fates, and that's kind of why everyone only remembers that from the prequels.

Across the Stars was a lot like his earlier works too, but I agree with you. This soundtrack isn't hummable but it's REALLY good. Reminds me a lot of his Prisoner of Azkaban soundtrack (criminally underrated)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Also, soundtrack was WEAK. Ray's theme, great. Lightsaber grab, great music cue. I needed more of those.

Obviously opinions and subjectivity with regards to music/art and whatnot, but you are wrong as hell on this :colbert:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Popping in to reiterate that the sountrack gets better and better each listen.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Though she petitions the New Republic government for support, she finds the politics of the Senate too slow and too mired in self-interest to be of any help.

I like this. She gets the first part from her mother, the second from her father.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

It fired once, and then was about to fire a second time though. Which suggests that it could travel (unless that particular star system had two suns, which I guess is possible).

I had assumed that it used 50% of the sun for the first shot, and the other 50% for the second.

But your explanation is as good as mine, because it's fantasy, and whatever mental gaps we (as the audience) need to fill to satiate our technical suspension of disbelief is a ok

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ThePutty posted:

why do you want to see 10 minutes of hyperspace travel every time the main characters go to a different planet

So that we can have these scenes

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

It really is - it has a whole lot of potential for future development, too. In fact, the whole soundtrack is beautifully written and orchestrated. Having the themes be more subtle and in the background is more of a result of where Williams' style has gone in the past 15-20 years and less of the "not as good as he used to be" sentiment I've seen thrown around. If you listen, you can find plenty of the thematic writing that's true to Star Wars.

Exactly. It's high up there on my personal Williams list

\/ a female Jedi hero and 2 gay sidekicks, you mean. (They won't have the balls to follow through on this, but it would be p awesome)

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 23, 2015

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ShineDog posted:

I feel there's some discussion to have about lit every member of the order other than snoke being appearing under 35. Too young to really have lived under the empire.

I think that's the point. Like Kylo, they're essentially cosplaying the Empire as "more extreme"

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think you typed "critique" where you meant to type "perpetuation"

No euphronius is correct. Jar Jar was meant to be a send up of the minstrel character, IMO

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dexo posted:

He literally talks like the Black people in minstrel shows and movies would talk.

And is treated with contempt by both the audience and the other characters

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So apparently Disney goofed and (potentially) spoiled Rey's lineage in their Infinity 3.0 video game.

Take with many grains of salt -also I'm not going to spoiler tag it since it's still technically speculation

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/24/reys-identity-possibly-revealed-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens-d/

quote:

...Kylo Ren seems to shout at Rey to "Face me, cousin!"

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Apparently (according to the rest of the Internet) Kylo is saying "Curses!" and not "Cousin!" in that clip, so Rey's lineage is not confirmed.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Avalanche posted:

2) Angry old nerds are realizing they are no longer the target demographic and this just makes them older and angrier. There are no late 30s-40s characters in the film so no LARPING to be had.

I don't care if I'm the wrong age/gender, I'm totally cosplaying as Rey from now own :allears:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Madurai posted:

Then she 100% sold the "feeling Han's death" scene without delivering a line.

This was her bright spot in the movie by far. I got more emotional watching her response than when Han got skewered in the first place.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Rey Tarkin.

Rey Ozzel

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
This scene is probably going to wreck me.

(this image is huge)

e:

Milky Moor posted:

Semi-related to the above image. First thing Luke does when Rey hands him his saber is hurl it off the island, hahaha.

Yeah that's going to either be unintentionally hilarious or heartbreaking. Gonna depend on how it plays.

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 9, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Danger posted:

Kylo and Rey team up to kill Snoke, Kylo takes over command of the First Order.

I kind of love this twist on the Empire Strikes Back plot beat

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

but it’s also kind of neat because it sort of foreshadows what would have happened if Luke accepted Vader’s offer.

Yeah this right here is why i like it so much.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

drunkill posted:

I'm willing to put Episode 1 above this... almost.

Well, that's a good sign, considering Ep I is third on my list ;)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Luke Skywalker posted:

Now that they're extinct, the Jedi are romanticized...deified.

But if you strip away the myth and look at their deeds, the legacy of the Jedi...is failure. Hypocrisy, hubris.

This movie is going to loving own

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The prequels weren't better than TLJ.

Sith was though. TPM and Clones are terrible without anything to make them watchable. Sith is the right brand of bad.

Sith is the worst of the prequels by a large margin

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Sinding Johansson posted:

This movie literally took the wonderful finale of Rogue One and did everything backwards.

Its like what if Mon Martha err Senator Tynnra Pamlo (Purple) was right and Jyn (Poe) was wrong.

Well yes. It's the mirror image of Rogue One's pro-libertarian message

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

TLJ is better than 80% of all Star Wars movies.

By this metric, it’s the second best Star Wars movie, and I’m inclined to not argue

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Return of the Jedi sucks except for one scene.

Return of the Jedi is better than A New Hope :colbert:

(So is Phantom Menace :smuggo: )

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Ok we’re doing these again.

ESB -> TLJ -> TPM -> ROTJ -> ANH -> AOTC -> R1 -> ROTS -> TFA

That TPM to R1 middle bit is very in flux

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Fart City posted:

There's some thinkpiece out there that claims the ideal way to introduce new people to Star Wars is to show them ANH and ESB to preserve the father reveal, and then watch AOTC and ROTS to elaborate on the relationship between Obi-Wan and Vader and contextualize the reveal in ESB, and then close out with ROTJ. TPM is left out because a lot of it is completely superfluous to the greater narrative.

I still think that if I have a kid I'll show them in release order, but the argument above does have some credence.

This is Machete Order.

I introduced my son to it this way, but kept in TPM because TPM is good.

It also makes sense because (sequel trilogy notwithstanding) it preserves the best ending while also maintaining the most accessible entry point.

e: \/ yes. 4 5 1 2 3 6

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 4, 2018

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah. The point is they don’t want to give someone full creative control.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Speed Racer owns.

Jupiter Ascending was surprisingly well done.

Netflix, but sense8 was pretty amazingly crafted.

It's me. I'm the one that likes the Wachowskis

e:

euphronius posted:

JA was the worst movie I've ever seen

Maybe it had genre credibility but I don't know what the genre is .

1. It was gorgeous and some of the shots were really composited well

2. It's worth watching for Giacchino's score alone. I actually only watched it after listening to the score and wanting to know how the score interacted with the movie.

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 16, 2018

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Luke owns slaves.

Luke is still a decent person and a worthy protagonist.

These ideas are not mutually exclusive, and the mental knot tying happening because you think they are is really a sight to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I mean the parallel here was Washington or Jefferson or whatnot but sure let’s make this about Hillary for some reason

• Locked thread