Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
Kylo Ren's motivation could be that hes confusing Snoke's voices in his head with grand-pa skywalker. Might explain the fanboyish he has towards Vader and the artifact collecting.
One of the leaks had Snoke communicating with Kylo Ren telepathically throughtout the movie.

Finn wont be a jedi but hes gonna have hand to hand training from the first order wich is probably why he weilds that lightsaber. Who knows if he gets jedi training in 8 and/or 9, anyone can be trained.

edit: Finn might be one of these guys
http://i.imgur.com/kwnxL8c.jpg?1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Why is is the scary dude's red lightsaber all wibbly-wobbly and jagged? Apart from the fact that he's a scary dude and it represents his unkempt evil etc, is there some Star Wars universe explanation too?

Probably no, or didn't complete his, jedi training.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Kylo and Rey are more than likely twins and the children of Han and Leia, who they allow to go off and do Jedi training with Luke once they become Force sensitive. Hence the resentment of Rey towards Han & Leia (whose expository speech in the trailers can be explained as him speaking to Finn or someone else who is a bystander) as abandoning their parental responsibilities in favor of the New Republic and smuggling or whatever.

Kylo gets corrupted over to the Dark Side by whoever Andy Serkis is playing, slays all other other Padawans on whatever planet Luke is training them on while Luke is away doing [something], but allows Rey to flee because of sibling connection.

Rey runs and hides on a desert planet, doing salvage work to assuage her desire to know more about her past but still remaining distant and anonymous.

Luke finds out what Kylo did, has a crisis of conscious about his worth as a Jedi Master, hides somewhere.

Kylo is obsessed with Vader due to Serkis's influence and also his own desire to understand the Skywalker legacy.

Finn is more than likely a Force user.

Kylo def kills Han (you can see a shot of Rey crying over his corpse in the most recent trailer).

Luke isn't the villain and TFA probably ends with Rey tracking him down while Finn recuperates/finds a parallel path to being a Jedi, and Kylo licks his wounds/falls further under the influence of Serkis.

Its Finn shes crying over, its pretty clear in good quality trailers.

I cant see Han and Leia abadonning their daughter over petty poo poo like that, wich is why she is Lukes. The imagery in all the trailers support this way too much.

If Finn is a force user, the first order is training stormtroopers in the force. Where is the evidence of this?

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

iSheep posted:

lmao some bitter nerd at EW redesigned the cross guards to make more sense.

EDIT: I'm reading that it's probably reflected light.

looks like the metal is overheating in the crossguard. Kinda looked that way in the japanese trailer.
Discoloring on the hilt when the saber is off kinda supports this.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Theres a supposed scene by scene out there and it sounds pretty legit to me.
Probably what that pdf is based off

fakeedit: Its Finn and he doesn't die.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

deleted image. what is it

Rey figurine with luke's blue lightsaber. Looks like she gets a new getup along the way.

I had predicted this the second they showed Finn with the lightsaber.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

new chinese trailer and its pretty great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECYgD7zylrE

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There's some new footage here, mostly extensions on scenes that have been played through trailers so far.

The biggest find by far was the sound Kylo's DIY lightsabre makes, holy poo poo 9 days cannot pass quick enough.

"C'mon baby don't let me down"

Falcon crash landing on Starkiller after the jump into the atmosphere...

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

Sounds like they are part of a big fight against Han and Chewie if the spoilers are right.

There was rumors that one of them would be shot a la Greedo even before the PDF

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

euphronius posted:

R2d2 needed to be awoken by the ... Force.

As an aside my left field theory is that Leia has fallen to the dark side and sent han to his death to help Ren. Maybe not. She does know a lot about Snokie.

http://imgur.com/f2WN6ZK

Carrie Fischer posted this to twitter and deleted it not long after. That's Michael Kaplan, costume designer.
I don't know if its supposed to be a joke that she looks like a dick but if so, why did he put material on the drawings?

Viller fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 20, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Motto posted:

Dude got beat because he was an unfocused goof with a bleeding blaster wound.

Snoke ordered Ben to bring Rey to him, not kill her.

edit: still got beat but he could have just force pushed her rear end in the crevice if he wanted her dead.

Viller fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 21, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Goffer posted:

Read through most of this thread, but a few things that stuck out to me:

Isn't Finn is a clone? I thought the the discussion between Ren and the General was that they were using clones, which is technically treason (but he wouldn't report him)? With all the reprogramming and brainwashing Finn might have believed he was a stolen child, but actually all his squad-mates are just like him (needs approval to take off his helmet, etc, so they never actually know). The callout of 'traitor!' might be part of that. I thought that would have been a cool topic to explore; when Rey is escaping, she unmasks a trooper and finds another Finn.

The fact that the old man with the map to Luke is on the same planet as Rey can't be a coincidence. He'd have to be the guy that took her there.

What I'm not sure about is Han and Ren on the bridge, what happens between them.
1. Ren says "I need to do something, but I'm not sure if I have the strength to do it myself",
2. Ren presents the lightsaber sideways, he has two hands on it and Han has one,
3. They both struggle with it,
4. The lightsaber extends and kills Han.
5. Ren says "thank you"

How did Han help him? Did he either angle the saber towards himself(with Ren struggling against it), or did Han pull the trigger to ignite the lightsaber? Or was his struggle to turn the lightsaber towards Ren the motivation Ren needed to kill his father?

Kylo Ren says "Perhaps Supreme Leader Snoke should consider clones" after they find out Finn helped get Poe out.

Han helped him by making it easy to kill him. Even Snoke doubted he could do it because hes tempted by the light.
Most people seem to think the pain he refers to is the dark side but its not. Hes tempted by the light all movie long and its causing him problems, wich he interprets as pain.
Anyway that's how I understood it.
edit:
"Even you, master of the knights of Ren, have never faced such a test."
"By the grace of your training, I will not be seduced."
"We shall see, we shall see"

Viller fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 21, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Maz Kanata was the only character I had problems with after my first viewing. Ive seen it a couple more times now and Han was right, she's an acquired taste.
Don't mind her as much anymore, and I hope she shows up for more backstory in other episodes.

edit: Honestly don't remember a thing from The Incredibles so I wouldn't know.
Rey learns how to use the force from Maz.

Viller fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 21, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Zeris posted:

Rey is 20?

Born 20 years prior to TFA -- 10 years after ROTJ.

Doesn't work for Kenobi lineage.

She'd have to be 30 + time between ANH and ROTJ assuming Kenobi's irradiated desert sperm left his still-stanky withered member minutes before his krayt dragon call.

Wait, maybe that's the origin of the jedi krayt dragon shout...

Rey is 19 and Kylo Ren is 29-30 (according to some lucasfilm story guy on twitter)

Wich makes me realise that Kylo and Poe Dameron are the same age, likely that they grew up together.

Viller fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 21, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

I saw the movie and it was good. Curious how the gently caress they'll make Kylo Ren a threatening character in the later movies when he's already lost here and it's pretty clear Rey's a lot stronger in the force than he is.

Read the thread.

Kylo Ren never meant to kill her, Snoke asked to bring her to him.
He got gut shot by chewie and his sword arm clipped pretty good by Finn.
Plus his training is not complete according to Snoke.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

This is the Kreia option, aka the right good interesting one, so it won't be in the movies.

Ep8-9 Could be Luke trying to start this new order that uses both sides of the force after failing with the emotionless virgins approach(kylo Ren killing everyone) from the prequels.
He did subdue Vader with anger after all.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

At the meeting with Snoke, when Redhead Nazi walks in, the way Adam Driver played trying to get a hold of his whiny self made me guffaw in the theater. It was great and the person next to me looked at me like I was crazy because nobody else laughed there. He was almost crying. He just looked so much like Anakin.

He looks at his helmet under his arm like he wants to sneak it on before Hux is besides him. Great acting by Driver there.

Wank posted:

One other interesting thing is that all of the First Order are very young. Either they can only recruit people who don't remember the Galactic Civil War or said war completely wiped out a generation of people sympathetic to them.

This deserves to be discussed more.

Everyone(the leaders) on the resistance side are old so they would remember the empire.

Viller fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 21, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Or you know, a regular adrenaline rush.

Anyone else think Ben is a bit of a weird choice for Leia and Han? I would have thought they'd go with Bail. But then people who know who Bail Organa is are a minority I'm sure. Even if he is named on screen.

Because of Ben, Leia met her brother and got to know who her real father was. Also saved the universe a couple of times because he brought Luke (and R2) into the fold.

edit: oh yeah and Han.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Red posted:

So I have a lot of thoughts and feelings after seeing this, but one of the biggest things I can take away from the film is just how immature the faction of the Empire is.

They're all young. There weren't any older, seasoned officers on Star Destroyers. Hux looks like he's around 30 or so. I'd guesstimate most of his fellow officers are around the same, but not much older. All the troopers are likely about Finn's age - young, plucked from their homeworlds, and conscripted into service after years of schooling and training.

The only authority figure with some level of seniority is Snoke, who only appears as a giant hologram to a select few underlings. Hux and Kylo Ren are literally petty whining children who run to Snoke to ask for permission or help. They stand in front of an enormous projection of their leader, looking upwards for approval. Snoke seems confident, but also like a frustrated parent.

The First Order isn't incompetent - they're just kids. They have shiny new playthings and uniforms, and are quick to be aggressive and brutal, to hide any weaknesses or self-doubt. Kind of like a bully. Kylo Ren throws tantrums instead of actually disciplining anyone. Had Ren actually done something to correct Finn's behavior when he picked up on Finn's self-doubt, the movie would've ended right there.

By contrast, the Resistance faction of the Republic is run by older, graying folks who've managed to recruit a handful of younger people. The younger folks are energetic and passionate about their cause, while Leia Organa doesn't seem to have the energy to emote with her face (I'm teasing, of course). Ackbar, the guy who looks like Dodonna, and Miles from LOST all just sit back and hope for another miracle.

Kylo Ren not killing everyone that fails him could be out of necessity, like you said, everyone seems very young throughout the ranks, so not as expandable(compared to some computer bank or a torture chair).

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

CalmDownMate posted:

You know this movie could of been far better if they remade ANH like they did here but made the Empire the rebels and the Republic the incompetent buffoons that let them destroy poo poo easily. Also could put some kind of subplot about Han Solo's son being gradually corrupted and turning on Luke.

This is what happens. The republic wont form an army to fight the first order and supports the resistance on the side instead. Had they formed an army and find out what they were up to, never woulda happened.

Episode 8 might deal escalation on the republic's side and would make the first order "the rebels"

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

euphronius posted:

Oh for fucks sake. I forgot that now GL is capable of nothing.

The PT are more artfully done than tfa anyways. Tfa way more entertaining tho obviously.

Your gonna have to elaborate on that more Artfully done...

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

euphronius posted:

Gonna have to wait for the blue ray but from my memory I did not think that tfa showed as much artistry in things like composition and lighting and sets as the pt and the ot. Mostly though shot composition. But to be fair Lucas is a master at that.

I reserve the right to change my opinion after getting the blue ray.

The prequels have boring as gently caress cinematography so I have no idea where your coming from with that. It bothered me more than the 73 layers of unneeded CGI.

One of the reasons TFA feels like its moving fast (and it is) is the cinematography. Camera is moving a ton and dialogue scenes are shot infinitely more in an interesting way.
No one sitting on couches discussing politics or walking in steryized CGI backgrounds.

I'm not sure I'm getting my point across here.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

I think I'd seen this on here awhile ago but can't find it again. A friend was asking why did Luke ever make that map if he wanted to remain secluded...
We came to the conclusion that the map is not actually the map to Luke Skywalker but a map to the first jedi temple the empire had discovered.
Han mentions having heard rumors of Luke looking for it, I assume the resistance/Leia had the same info. Wich would be why its known as the map to Luke.
Kinda makes sense that the last piece could be found on Jakku in a super destroyer.
How its the exact piece that was missing from R2-D2 and how Rey fits into all this, we couldn't come up with anything.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

iSheep posted:

Luke so happened to find some droids that belonged to his father one of which had a hologram of his sister asking for help of a guy that he happened to be saved by after he got knocked the gently caress out by some sand people.

Coincidences are not new to Star Wars.

Droids that went into separate directions and ended up on the same jawa crawler... it keeps going..

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Basically the big coincidence was the Falcon (which is pure coincidence) and Maz having the saber (which is easily justified with The Force Willed It.)

Unkar Plutt is tied to whoever left Rey on Jakku. I highly doubt the tarped over Falcon was there by coincidence.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Unkar stole it from someone who stole it from someone else who stole it from Han. At least as describe in-film that's a coincidence unless Han was lying about that. Which wouldn't make a lot of sense since Han was on the Falcon and claimed he'd been looking for it for ages.

Rey told Han what happened after the first guy who stole it(Ducaine->someone->Unkar Plutt). So it could all be made up poo poo from Unkar Plutt, or whoever dropped off Rey.
I'm starting to think that vision Rey gets kinda points to Ben Solo dropping her off. He does show through the movie that hes capable of playing with people's minds
more than we've seen in the past movies and hes conflicted with the light throughout. Wich would kinda tie in to why Snoke doubts that he can kill off Han Solo.

I still want to believe its some Luke grand plan for when his daughter is ready though.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yes it was. Look at the shot of Starkiller Base firing. The leaves on the trees are entirely green and free of ice. Their base is in the mountains but the planet itself is covered with ice when it clearly wasn't before.

You really really really need to go outside more.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think Luke isn't gonna make it to ep 9.

Mark Hamill seems to really love Star Wars and I'm sure he doesn't mind the work. Why kill him off now? He could be around till hes 80 like guiness and lee.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Kurzon posted:

No they didn't. It's explicitly stated in the dialogue that they sent a reconnaissance ship right after Starkiller destroyed the Republic.

They could have made it more plausible by making BB8's chunk a lot smaller.

Is it said that the map is the whole galaxy? I was under the impression that the whole map is only part of a few systems in the unknown regions of the galaxy, wich is why its impossible to figure out where it is with only BB8's piece.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, they're most likely going with the irony route. The more Kylo tries to be like Vader, the less he ends up like him. Vader wouldn't kill his son, but Kylo killed his father. Vader came back to the light side, and Kylo is moving further away from it. Vader was in control of his character, and Kylo is totally out of control. So we aren't likely to see him getting redeemed.

Kylo Ren is basically Luke had he decided to go dark side. Hux is Luke had he joined the empire and made a career of it and never heard a thing about the force. Poe Dameron is practically Luke had he ignored the Ben vision on Hoth. Finn had he become a stormtrooper, he probably would have defected to the rebels also. I absolutely agree that Kylo Ren wont be redeemed, they will do a fake out though. Would be a good way to get to Leia and I don't put it passed his character to go through all that trouble to accomplish something, after failing hard with Starkiller/Rey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

computer parts posted:

Captain America: Civil War is literally another Avengers film because they have no confidence in the property.

If you followed the drama behind the contract negociations(RDJ not even being involved at first, spider-man, bosewick, etc etc), you'd know that wasn't true.
I think the project has just grown in size because 6 superheroes fighthing eachother aint exactly a war.

This is still gonna be a Captain America movie, no matter what the marketing leads you to believe. The only thing I'm kinda "worried" about is lots of stuff seems to have been added late in production.

• Locked thread