Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rey being Obi-Wan's descendant rather than Luke's would be awesome and would also make a ton of sense (even visually) but is probably too cool to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skellybones posted:

The stormtrooper with the big stunstick who clowned on Finn's lightsaber skills should have been Phasma.

The stormtrooper rocking the baton should also quiet any questions about "why can Finn does swordfighting?" but here we are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TFRazorsaw posted:

On the "Rey is a Mary Sue" debacle, what about Poe?

He is unfailingly kind to a stormtrooper, his enemy, and needs little convincing to trust him. His skills are pumped up and praised by multiple characters. He succeeds at multiple things, is a point of inspiration to Finn after their separation, and the only things he fails at is avoiding torture. His role in the climax is, essentially, to do what Luke Skywalker did WITHOUT the force to help him. He literally has no personal flaws.

Is he a Mary Sue? Of frikking course not.

But the fact that the character gets nothing but praise to the point people say he should be given more focus or even be the actual main character WHILE this poo poo is being slung about Rey is rather telling.

That's actually a very good point. Poe struck me as this movie's Force Jesus character. He even died and came back to life!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McDowell posted:

Luke is a Mary Sue - that was covered in the old thread - he was a perfect blank slate for adolescent boys and for many people in the late 70's.

Luke isn't really a blank slate, he's actively a whinging dickbag for almost the entire first film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Motto posted:

wookiee life day is a bullshit holiday

He's not wrong!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So was that guy supposed to be literally Admiral Akbar or am I a space racist?

e: several dozen pages late but "Around the survivors a perimeter create!" was actually one of the only genuinely great moments in the PT

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Millennium Falcon is sentient, an agent of the Force, and was there to watch over her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the best explanation for Rey being so quick to pick up on flying the Falcon is that she's actually Lando's daughter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Was I the only one who was actually annoyed at what they did with Chewie in here? Having him boast and flirt and sass off? Like, I get that the dialogue had to be "updated" and have funny little quips, and most of them worked (though I'm still a bit iffy on the implication that R2 calls 3P0 a nonce), but I could do without "funny Chewie".

That said, as someone who saw the entire OT in theaters (granted, I was only 2 for ANH and Jedi is the only one I clearly remember the theater experience of) I was perfectly happy with this movie. It's a good little movie. The cultural baggage it has dragging it down is detracting from the praise it should be getting for being just fundamentally decent and having actual heart for a blockbuster (not coincidentally, the same thing happened with Star Trek 2009).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gabriel Pope posted:

What, as opposed to having him be a bumbling comic relief sidekick like in the OT?

Well, I'd say he was more like a loyal shaggy dog than bumbling. He had heart in the OT, like the hug when he finds him in Jabba's palace.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you seen any of the other Star Wars movies? If this bothers you, you might want to skip them.

Right, because time doesn't pass. I fully expect Ted to call someone a "fag" in Bill and Ted 3 if it ever gets made, because he did in the first two!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

if you think one genderless droid beeping something offensive at another genderless droid is the equivalent of yelling "FAG" then something is wrong with you.

If you think that's what I said then something is wrong with your reading comprehension.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

The Raid guys were a cameo. Phasma may have been a minor role (comparable to Boba Fett or Tarkin), or she may be expanded later. Who knows/cares?

Not that everyone is telling the truth necessarily but it's been said several times that she's getting a much expanded role in the next two films.

I'd be really baffled if that doesn't happen, honestly. I thought it seemed obvious she was being set up for later.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

starkebn posted:

Only argument I will accept, but it's just dumb. The bad guys are always extremely dumb and have no military smarts.

Well they are Nazis.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

euphronius posted:

Wow am I ever glad I didn't watch this. Light saber gun. huh.

I don't know what you're talking about, that weapon is amazing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blistex posted:

Biggest gripe would have to be Captain Phasma. . . what was the point of that character except marketing? I'm wondering if we're going to find out that a lot of her scenes were left on the cutting room floor.

The prevailing theory is that she will be disgraced by her actions and spend the next movie or two on a personal mission to kill Finn. Which would be pretty interesting itt.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't even know Idris Elba was in Marvel movies. That's definitely not what he's known for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Red posted:

Princess Monotone?

Oh my god :golfclap:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

Queen Amidala as she's presented in The Phantom Menace is not the same character as Padme.

You know, I still have basically no idea how the gently caress this works, especially in AOTC and ROTS.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always been confused by people who make fun of Amidala's outfits. I thought they were beautiful and some of the only good designs in the whole PT.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vengarr posted:

Did I blink and miss it, or did this one not have the iconic "In a galaxy far, far away..." line before the music started?

You blinked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
LEGO is out for my wallet. Just weeks after I finally found a Poe Dameron's X-Wing they release a badass "Resistance X-Wing" in cooler colors that I can't really justify getting because it's more or less a pallet swap. The same day they come out with two $100+ walker sets and like five $30-$50 sets including a loving TIE Advanced/A-Wing combo pack. Goddamn it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I absolutely love the complete lack of fucks Mark Hamill gives now :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Milky Moor posted:

Besides, what are they going to do? Get rid of Luke Skywalker?

I mean, he's probably gonna die in this one, right? He's the new Obi-Wan, he has to die so Rey and Kylo can realize they need to work together or whatever the hell is going on with these trailers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I felt it, Rey. As if my BFF's voice cried out in pain."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Might not have been great but it wasn't bad and no sane person would argue that it was.

do you know where you are?

welcome to the nuthouse

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did it, Rey. I looked at the porg.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

"welcome to the poo poo show"

If only more rednecks had that much of a sense of humor and capacity for grammar.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the porg looks cute and this thread's obsession with it is hilarious

like it's just a fuckin' movie guys

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You can say ROTJ was the "last legit Star Wars" without meaning that the prequels are heretical texts. Unless you just want to pick a really dumb internet fight, which you clearly do.

fake edit: "lol"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Natalie Portman's revolving door.

I doubt I want to know, but then again, I kind of do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Porg... heh, that's a funny word, right? Porg? Try sayin' it. C'mon! Try it! Porg, heh. Porg. Porg. Porg.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerkface posted:

Lego porg

brb going to walmart right the gently caress now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

So hey, uh, what's that crystal looking thing inside of that rock Rey is breaking open?

Probably those crystals that they use to make lightsabers?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my wife didn't notice the kid using the Force to get the broom at the end. do we think that kid is gonna be the star of the next trilogy?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mymla posted:

Probably not, and I extremely hope not. Kids are terrible.

Oh no I meant "the grown up version of that kid" since presumably the next trilogy will be another 10-20 years in the future

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For several minutes I didn't even recognize her as Laura Dern, I thought she was Carol from The Walking Dead with a wig on

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

I haven't heard any argument against it that doesn't involve previous films

This is what gets me. Literally every negative YouTuber review I've heard contains some version of "this movie killed Star Wars", and they seem to all miss that that was intentional

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was fine with the ending and Luke dying personally but I also was truly expecting Luke to raise his arms up and call down a Mega Force Storm that just wiped all the AT-ATs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the Force can literally do anything if you believe hard enough. it can even make a woman pregnant.

• Locked thread