Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Cult of Mac has a sorta review (they call it a review anyway). App Store doesn't seem available yet (read: no Plex).
http://www.cultofmac.com/393941/4th-generation-apple-tv-review/

Remember that you should be able to combine Discover's Apple Pay bonus if you buy in store. Not sure if BestBuy supports Apple Pay yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
At least he included a section on the screen saver!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Plenty in stock at the BestBuy in my town, despite what their website says. In case you have some BestBuy bucks sitting around and you want to try this thing out. ApplePay worked fine there too.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

puppy party posted:

Is it walled off behind plex pass or is it free and open?

Available to all.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
You don't need a super powerful NAS to do transcoding. Anything with an i3 should be more than enough for multiple streams. I built one starting from a TS140 plus hard drives for a little more than $500. That's definitely more than the little Synology or WD boxes though.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any trip reports on how Plex handles different file types?

It works great on my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad), but on my Fire TV stick, it's janky as gently caress. I'll get studdering on random videos, or just no sound at all. I have to constantly switch the experimental player on and off and dick around with the settings to get it to work.

My Fire Stick has similar issues as well. I really have to think it's the low power of the Fire Stick that's the cause. I would switch to Plex on my PS4 and the problems would go away.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Whitezombi posted:

Amazon Video app did not work at all.

Did I miss this getting released? Or do you mean using AirPlay to stream the Amazon Video app from your phone to the Apple TV?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Cornjob posted:

Goons, which model ATV4 are you getting? I doubt ill be doing anything more than plex, netflix, hbogo and a few other streaming apps.

if the plex app can sync content, i can see a need for the larger size. Syncing would be nice if you plan on taking the atv with you on a trip, or you just want faster response.

Does anyone know if AirPlay creates an ad hoc network between the AppleTV and an iPhone/iPad? If so, you could sync to your phone, and AirPlay to your AppleTV without worrying about internet conditions. I don't think you can sync to the AppleTV, but maybe I missed that setting somewhere.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

milkaxor posted:

Is there any way to shuffle user-created playlists in the music app? I only seem to be able to do that with AM playlists. Hoping 9.1 fixes this.

I see a Shuffle option as the first option (before the first individual track) on Apple Music, Curator, and personal playlists. Are user-created playlists different?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Has anyone used the new AppleTV with a Harmony? BestBuy has the Harmony 700 on sale for Black Friday and I'm curious about how they play together.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

I'm still debating if I want a new Apple TV. What is everyone doing with theirs that they didn't do on the old one?

Watching live HGTV and Food Network with my parents' DirecTV account.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
The keyboard stuff is dumb, but if I have to enter more than a few character, I just use the Remote app and it's been fine.

But it's just a glorified Plex and Macbook mirroring tool for me so far. I hope Sling TV or PS Vue apps come out for it soon.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
My experience with Provenance and an MFi controller was just enough of an input delay to make it not fun for platformers. The thread on Provenance's project page shows that it's pretty widespread. Maybe it's better with the latest tvOS update.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
MacRumors says the Amazon Prime Video app is up now. I'm too lazy to check myself.
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/06/amazon-prime-video-app-launches-on-apple-tv/

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Minidust posted:

The "TV" app is explicitly for on-demand stuff, so it doesn't really interact with live TV services in any meaningful way.

I'm not sure if this is true now. Maybe it's an iOS only feature, but the TV on the phone now includes a Sports tab that works with apps like ESPN to stream live sports.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Hey Siri works pretty well when you're not sure what service carries specific movies for free, rental, or purchase. During Christmas I used it to watch stuff like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Freeform app) and it worked well.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll give it another whirl, but I find especially Netflix and HBO apps to be fine, and I’m assuming NHL won’t offer integration because they suck at most things.

I'm pretty sure NHL integrates. Something was telling me to turn on Caps games during the season.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
360 controllers were still using a proprietary communications format I think right? Where as PS4 and the newer XBONE ones all use Bluetooth.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I can't for the life of me get the new remote's scroll forward/backward to work. I even watched a video. I'm holding it wrong?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Looks like that update is already on the tvOS app store. Just in time for the season finale of Hacks.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
My Pros are great except they tend to slowly wiggle out of my ears, especially if I'm eating or talking with them in. My AirPods Regular never had did this, and it's surprising considering the more custom fit of the Pros. Oh well.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
If you have an extra black Apple TV 4th gen remote lying around and feel like taking a risk, you can sell them for about $30 eBay. Apple pricing the new one at $60 helped the secondary market for the old one I guess.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
My 3 year old can turn the tv off with the new remote upstairs, not with the old remote downstairs. New remote better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Do you use a separate YouTube/Google account or your normal one?