Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I ordered a 64GB one in Canada at 1:30AM Pacific, and it says shipping in 5-7 days. (Also that in-store pickup isn't an option, which seems odd.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OGB posted:

I think like with other things, Apple figured they’d brute force it by way of their size and importance. Not so much...

"Ping".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volume control works without line of sight for me, I'm pretty sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zero One posted:

YouTube is a third party app so it's up to Google to add support.

I'm hoping Vudu adds support soon (and cuts their prices).

YouTube encodes 4K content in VP9, which Apple doesn't and likely won't ever support. Google would have to re-encode everything to h.265 if they wanted hardware support. Speaking as someone who has negotiated re-encoding with YouTube before, it's exceedingly unlikely.

They could do it in software, of course. I don't know what the performance would be like for their streams and scrubbing and so forth. Anyone know what the YouTube 4K bit rates are?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I picked one up at a Store today (64GB), and cancelled my delivery order for two weeks out. They had a pile of 32s, but only a few 64s left.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can't you go to the UPS site and turn off the signature requirement? They even have an app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inspect Your Gadgets > AppleTV - Signature Edition

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Then don't order and don't pay for it until such time as you calm down and print a piece of paper. Apple's shipping policies, and their signature mechanisms, are documented on their site and I suspect readily available from their support agents. Most people don't rupture an organ because they have to park in a busy place, so it's not likely something they're going to need to change in order to preserve their business.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It works OK. I usually spell by voice rather than sign for my phone and pull it out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

YouTube does not, I know that much.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Long-press the TV button IIRC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They could probably do 4K VP9 in software on the newest device.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The VP* patent bullshit has been around and never credible since it launched. H.264 itself had patent infringement issues that were only resolved because the court ruled that the owner as a member of the consortium had to include it in the license pool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TraderStav posted:

Apple disallowed other marketplaces in their apps a long time ago I believe.

Day 1 of the App Store, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thwomp posted:

I'm super interested to dig into a write-up involving all the crap Apple and Amazon put each other through to get this app out there finally.

I’d be a little surprised to see one, at least from both sides. Nobody has yet published an account of the Facebook/Apple scuffles of 2012-2015, for example.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mahoning posted:

Oh no the morality police are here to admonish me for wanting to give a store a brand new unopened product in return for its retail value! Think of the children!

Then there’s no need to deceive the store, clearly. “Hey, buy this off my for full retail value, OK?” Please report back!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How? Did tvOS grow a webview?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stevewm posted:

Unless they completely reimplemented a UI that copies the web version, then it must have. Just as like on other platforms it appears to be the HTML5 interface with a wrapper app to translate remote buttons and other special functions.

Well, tvOS has TVML and TVJS, so you can do weblike stuff. But UIWebView is still a private interface, and I would be shocked if Apple gave YouTube permission to use it. Like, utterly stunned.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why is CEC so hard to get right? Is it a really bad spec or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s like RDP for games

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TV plus couch experience. Lean back. Use that sound system.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm going to guess Apple wanted to reveal it at WWDC?

IME if you launch something at Apple wanted to show at WWDC, they sulk a bit but don’t bounce your app.

FCKGW posted:

If that's true they're still not talking to each other because Valve put out a statement saying they're not sure why the app was denied besides a vague "business conflicts with app guidelines"

My guess would be that the Steam payment system is exposed in some way that they don’t like. They are savagely sensitive about that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No because you’re buying digital goods that can’t be consumed on the device in question, I believe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bad deploy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What sort of artifact? Stuttering? Blocking?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

My Apple TV remote already controls my receiver and turns the tv on and off though.

I envy your reliable CEC!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Big Huski Boi posted:

Apps do not run concurrently in iOS.

This hasn’t been true for years. Applications can request and be given background execution slices under a number of circumstances.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s hard to imagine how you get to the point of releasing a beta with that glaring an issue though, unless the TVOS change broke it after release.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qirex posted:

If you're using a developer beta that generally means you're getting the OS at the same time Valve is.

Oh, I thought it was an artifact of a Steam Link beta! Never mind then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snuffman posted:

When I power it on, it works fine, I get video. When I put it to sleep and then wake it up, the power light comes on but I get no video (the TV says no signal). It takes a reset or unplugging the AppleTV to get video back.

my 4K started to do that recently and I'm way out of warranty so welp