Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

anyone leave "reduce loud sounds" on permanently? Does it gently caress with the audio mixing at all in a bad way?

I’m really obnoxious about audio mixing and stuff and I think it’s fine. Having it off will sound much better in various cases but babying the remote because everything apparently needs a massive dynamic range sucks a lot. Give it a shot, realistically your ears will adapt to it anyway. It definitely does what it says.

source: used it for years and am giving the default no reduced sounds settings a try with my new Apple TV now. It still sucks adjusting the volume more than I want to so I may end up back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mental Hospitality posted:

I bought a 64GB AppleTV 4K today on a whim. I really like it! It works amazing and I'm enjoying the free months of TV+ it came with. It didn't dawn on me until just now after doing a little more research that I bought the 1st generation, and there is a new one. I picked it up at Best Buy and the little electronic tag said "Latest model" or something to that effect so I figured I was getting the newest version but I guess I didn't. Had I been thinking properly I guess I should have been suspect of the slightly lower price tag than what I had seen before going in the store. Now that I have it unboxed, setup, and in use; should I even bother trying to return it? I mean as far as I can tell it works fine and apparently the new one has a better remote but this one seems to work fine; it adjusts the tv volume and even turns it off when I put the ATV to sleep. Are there super new features of the second gen that makes it a must have over the first one? Did I accidentally save myself 40 bucks?

E: not sure if it matters, but the ATV is hooked up to my cheap 4k bedroom tv that has a built in FireStick. So it's not some elaborate high end home theater. Just a cheap tv and a soundbar that I can't even remember the name of.

You would pay $60 for the extremely good new remote so honestly do the return imo. That way you’re set with the most current box that should last years and years. Not that the one you have won’t as well but considering how long they’ve gone between revisions you might as well deal with the hassle and get the newly released one. Just my opinion though, don’t overthink it too much!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anyone know a list of Apple TV models that can use Hulu Live tv?

e: 4th gen and 4K hmm that’s a shame but at least I know

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 21, 2021

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you're running a 3rd gen you should probably replace that.

Well it’s complicated. I’ve got a new box and a 3rd gen and then… something much older. We’re about to cancel cable and switch to Hulu Live/various apps but we’ve got four tvs to cover. Just trying to figure out the best way to go about having everything set preferably as Apple centric as possible.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Endless Mike posted:

I'll sell you a 4th Gen for uh I dunno, $50 shipped

This could very possibly work for me! I have a little figuring out to do but got a discord or email or something I could contact you with? That price would really help me right now.

e: awfulkilometersdavis@gmail.com :)

e: grabbed some boxes but I appreciate the offer :love:

Jose Oquendo posted:

You'll definitely need to replace that 3rd gen and anything older. Check out the Apple refurb store for some 4th gen (Apple TV HD) or better refurbs.

Oh yeah good tip on the refurbs!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 2, 2021

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

awfulkilometersdavis@gmail.com

For those who wish to part with your Apple TVs! Can’t guarantee I’ll need more than one depending on my budget but there’s a chance I’ll go for two to set the house up right!

e: went ahead and grabbed some boxes but ty ty ty for the offer!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know how deep you are into the Apple ecosystem, but a good rule of thumb is to always buy from their refurb store when possible, no matter what the product is. They're 99.9% identical to new stuff and you can add AppleCare if needed.

:love: Oh for sure, I just sometimes forget about it for some reason.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2021

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a streaming quality difference between HBO Max and HBO content in Hulu (subscribed to Live with the Max package)?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I barely ever look at the new remote, it’s really easy to use without looking. I love the thing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My Apple TV has decided it no longer wants to control my tv’s volume. Had anyone else had this issue and solved it? Never had a problem before.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have zero complaints with the new remote, I really like it.

Fedule posted:

HDMI CEC: it really do be like that sometimes.

(Does your ATV still turn the TV on and off?)

Presuming you have already confirmed the ATV, TV and anything in between are still configured to send and respect volume +/- signals;

If your ATV runs direct to the TV, turn one or both off and on again or disconnect and reconnect the cable. If it runs through a receiver, disconnect and reconnect the cable running to the receiver. This should basically kick all the devices awake and force them to acknowledge eachother properly.

Sometimes my TV forgets it's supposed to be outputting to ARC and changes the sound source to its own speakers, which sometimes confuses the ATV. In an ARC setup the TV will be sending its received volume +/- signals to the receiver so this shouldn't ever be the problem and is fixed by simply telling the TV to output to ARC again but you never know.

If none of that works then something weirder's going on, but most troubles of this sort come down to CEC being Like That.

Weird thing is that the Apple TV still turns the tv on fine. It just won’t control the tv volume at all anymore. I’ve tried all the suggestions and nothing. It’s so strange!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mrking posted:

Hold the Home and Volume down buttons to reset the remote. It worked for me at least

This worked. Thanks so much! You’re the best :D

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah it’s perfectly fine for me and has been for a while now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There really isn’t a good excuse for it to be so bad. The iOS Podcasts app is fantastic and has been forever. It should just be the same thing but with an Apple TV interface.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sometimes you have to Bach out and then try again before they show up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Violator posted:

I've been running an AppleTV HD since they were released because hey it still works. But I finally got sick and tired of everything taking 5-10 seconds to load when my toddler wants to watch Bing Bunny or Bluey. Open Disney+ wait five seconds. Pick an account wait five seconds. Pick a show and it buffers for five seconds. That poo poo adds up when you've got a screaming toddler. Got one of the new AppleTV 4K models and holy poo poo everything is instant and it's fantastic. I love it.

And the remote! Much better than I expected and I expected it to be a big improvement. The *idea* of the Siri Remote was amazing. Voice control and multi-touch on a symmetrically perfect remote nearly the thickness of a credit card was an amazing design exercise. loving amazing. But the new remote is actually useful in real world use.

I actually feel kind of insulted by the previous remote in retrospect because it ignores the famous Apple mantra of "design is how it works." Even as someone who respects the design and almost never had issues with picking it up upside down I still think it represents a relatively dark period of Apple. One port computers, butterfly keyboards, iOS 7, etc.

The new remote is seriously fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Toobin Time