Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When will I be able to walk into the Apple store and hand a person money and have them give me one of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There's an Apple Store right on my way to work, so I plan on just grabbing it on my way in at 10 tomorrow when they open.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Any idea why my phone isn't seeing this in the remote app? Home sharing is turned on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If the phone doesn't work as a remote this might get returned and the Roku hooked back up. That's a total deal breaker.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So what apps does Siri actually work with? I can tell it to search YouTube for something, and it will open search in YouTube but won't actually search for what I said. If the remote app isn't going to work out of the box they should at least give you an alternative to it in Siri.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So Siri can't control music on here? What the gently caress?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Not sure if this happens in the English UI, but this is what I see in Japanese:

It corrects itself when you select them. :thumbsup:

Could you explain to someone who doesn't speak Japanese what is happening here?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Has there been any word on if Starz Play will be coming to this? I only care because of Ash vs Evil Dead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

coke zero mit mayo posted:

Can somebody explain why the touch input is the opposite of every other device on the planet? I guess you're supposed to think you're moving a cursor with it instead of the content but it's still really weird. Also not being able to search for music with siri is some seriously weak poo poo. The interface looks kind of boring, too.

Because "natural scrolling" is loving terrible on anything but a touch screen and anyone who doesn't turn it off immediately on anything but a phone and a tablet is just doing it wrong. You're not moving the content, you're moving the highlight square around the TV. It would make even less sense than it does on laptops and such here.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The plex app is great, and I will never use for sharing to stream from pc again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cornjob posted:

Is there any benefit to simplex over plex?

Only if you have become unstuck from time and are living in those early days before the Plex app got approved.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why isn't there an Amazon Prime Video app that just works the same way as the iOS app? As in there's no way to purchase things on it, but Prime streaming and stuff you've rented/purchased on a browser is available?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Because Amazon wants you to buy its hardware. It's why they pulled support for the Chromecast and Android TV too.

Well I'm not going to, and they're basically just losing money by not letting me buy it elsewhere.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, this is quite annoying, but it's balanced out by the awesomeness of Siri + "go back/forward XX minutes/seconds"

Also, FWIW, I got the new ATV on day 1 and have used it pretty frequently since then, and have not had to charge my remote yet. Is there anywhere to check the remote battery level?

Is it a thing that you even have to charge? I figured it was the same style battery the previous models had where you just get a new one when it finally dies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have a Harmony connected to mine, but I still use the remote that came with it most of the time. The touch stuff works well, and it's got the Siri button and all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Every time I buy an app I have to enter my Apple ID password.

You can change this in settings.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

I'm not letting every rear end in a top hat or 5 year old buy poo poo on my ATV. The password is there for good reason.

Stop letting five year olds have control of the remote, and stop being friends with assholes who would buy poo poo on there without consulting you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

smackfu posted:

I have all my video files in iTunes with good tagging. Is Plex worth trying if I currently use iTunes home sharing?

Yes, I've completely abandoned iTunes for this since Plex came out for ATV.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If this is what the streaming future looks like I can't wait to see the networks all segment the markets to the point where they all collapse under their own hubris. Anyone who would pay to stream CBS is loving insane.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I will be shocked if the new Star Trek series doesn't beat Game of Thrones for most pirated TV series due to their decision to put it behind the All Access paywall, and because (last I heard) there's no way to watch it outside of the US.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Ars has a breakdown on running emulators through the new Apple TV.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/12/using-the-new-apple-tv-to-emulate-classic-game-consoles/

If anyone does this please post up how well it works, I would consider upgrading at some point if I can start getting more apps than my ATV3.

Is there a way to do this with a PC or am I just out of luck?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Any ideas why Netflix would be showing me poo poo that isn't available in my region?

iTunes region is set to Canada, my account is Canadian, I've got a Canadian IP.

"Sorry, the content you've requested is not available in your region (CA)" :confused:

I had issues with the WWE Network doing the reverse of this (saying stuff isn't available in my region). I fixed it by logging out and back in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Out of curiosity, do you know which stuff is region locked? I always thought it was the same service worldwide.

It was when I was trying to watch the Royal Rumble. It sent me here:

http://help.wwe.com/app/answers/kbdetails/a_id/503

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

My YouTube experience became so much better when I logged in to the same account on every device, subscribed to channels, and used Watch Later (more) properly.

Yeah, I've recently started doing this, along with using playlists, and it's gotten much better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My only issue with the remote is I constantly pick it up upside down because I'm a big dummy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So does the new update only work with Apple branded keyboards, or could I link up my old iPad Air logitech keyboard via bluetooth and use it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MMD3 posted:

Plex improvements, random buffering that takes 30 seconds isn't acceptable when my Samsung TV's plex app has no lag playing the same video.

I have had the exact opposite experience here. I will get random hitches and buffering when using Plex on the PS4 or Xbox One, but it plays flawlessly from the ATV every time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EngineerJoe posted:

PS4 needs to transcode more often and the Apple TV can play almost anything direct so your server might be bogging down trying to transcode...

I kind of doubt this, as I use my PC as my server and it's a $1,200 rig with a 3.0ghz i7 in it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

A $1,200 rig you say? Well poo poo.

I built it specifically for video editing too, so I really don't think the issue is with the PC. I would guess that it's because the PS4 doesn't do 5ghz wireless, but...I have it wired because of that. So I've really got no idea why the ATV is better other than it just being a better app. The Roku one works flawlessly too, so maybe the PS4 one just sucks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

So there's a Twitter client for Apple TV now... and unless I'm missing something super obvious, one of the things it doesn't have is the ability to read your own feed?! Whose genius idea was that?

The periscope app is the same way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So...the TV app DOES search and jump to stuff on Netflix. And HBO Go. Even though every write up I've seen of this says it doesn't support them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ixian posted:

Search has been there for a while. What is missing is that while you can use the TV app’s universal search function to find a Netflix show then pop over to the Netflix app to watch it you can’t sync your Netflix account with the TV app. That means your viewing habits and past behavior don’t get incorporated into the “Watch Now” panel and it's not part of the overall "guide". You basically need to explicitly search for stuff rather than having stuff "surfaced" for you. That is a big difference and a major hole in the current TV app.

This is a bummer, but still much, much better than the previous set up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, single sign on being so lovely is the worst part. I don't see why it can't store that data and do it for you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

For some reason, pressing Menu is taking me all the way back to the home screen instead of going back a screen in some apps. I can't count the number of times I've watched a video and hit Menu expecting to stop the video and go back a page, just to find myself at the home screen again. I turned off New Home Button Behavior so maybe that's related?

If you hold down or double tap menu now it takes you back to the home screen, as a replacement for the new home button poo poo. Maybe turning that off doesn't turn off the menu stuff?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Amazon doesn't have a game console.

The only valid complaint Amazon has against Apple is that they can't sell poo poo without giving Apple a 15% commission for some drat reason. Why you can't sell videos without using IAP and giving Apple a commission, but you can sell physical goods like kitty litter and baseballs without, who knows.

They get around this with the phone app already though by only having it be a player. They could do the same for the Apple TV.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The real answer to why they don't have an app is this: As a consumer I don't loving care and they should stop measuring dicks and do what's best for their user base, the stupid fucks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aw poo poo yeah, Mediacom is finally in the single sign on thing with this update.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

This is great news if I didn't have a loving 250gb cap on their poo poo service.

I'm using my parents login cause I'm a poor millennial. I have uncapped comcast that me and my three room mates split.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Got one of the 4ks. Everytime I switch to a different input on my TV and back, HDR turns itself off. Any idea why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zero One posted:

Anyone try the 11.2 beta yet?

I'm on it I think. Seems fine.