Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's insane and totally believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Are these available physically anywhere other than an Apple Store? I kind of casually want one and it'd be much easier for me to pull the trigger on it if I could just walk into Best Buy and get one, but checking online every single store near me doesn't carry any stock (although they can be ordered online).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Went to my local Best Buy just looking for an optical cable and came across this.

Except it wasn't a 4k it was just a regular old 4th generation. I looked at the packaging and it just said [1080p] on the back which was a red flag but also saw the picture of the remote having a white circle around it which made me think it was a new one (It was a new one, a new 4th gen).

Needless to say I didn't really want one in the first place but now that I thought I could get one and didn't get one I want it even more and no one has it. RIP.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

I can tell none of you has worked retail if you're freaking out this much about a box being in the wrong place
I'm not even freaking out, it was just especially curious since they didn't even have a spot/sign for the 4th gen version. The white ring on the remote on the packaging did throw me off though because I didn't realize that they apparently made new 4th gens to ship alongside the 4K.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
So if I've got a 2016 LG OLED do I manually set this to DolbyVision30Hz or do I just leave it on the default because only super spergs care about the difference between HDR10 and DV?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I've been really impressed. I tried one of the random 3rd party Twitch apps since there's no official one and I don't know what voodoo magic it's doing but streams look 10x better than they do on my PC.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have a 6ish year old Samsung 1080p tv. Just switched my 4K ATV to 1080p HDR from SDR and all the colors look awful and washed out. Is this something my tv has to specifically support to not make the colors look like garbage?
Yes. That's what HDR means.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

qirex posted:

11.2 is out and the ability to match frame rate and color range to the content is available.
Hekc yeah!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sometimes.

My TV stopped turning on and off with it randomly. I have to use my TV remote like a goddamn caveman now.
My cat steps on my aTV remote and switches my inputs on a regular basis.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just saw a new screensaver on my 4K set and it’s great :neckbeard: It’s s beach and pier with amusement park rides and really colorful in general. Anyone know where it is?
There's like 3 or 4 new ones and they all seem to be based around LA.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean, I completely understand why it doesn't, but is this thing ever gonna get a Spotify app? It's basically the one thing missing that makes it annoying to use as an entertainment center hub.

EDIT: I just checked an apparently you can airplay from an iPhone currently playing Spotify so I guess that works well enough. Still would be nice to get desktop airplay or even a native app.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 27, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Get Apple Music you plebe.
:cawg::holy::derp::holy::cawg:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been a Spotify user for many years before Apple Music was even an idea but I did try it out probably a year or two ago and, at least for the specific genre of music I most listen to, the "similar artist" recommendations were laughably bad. Probably like 70% of my Spotify usage is selecting an artist or a genre and then letting it autogenerate a playlist of that mood. I was also never a fan of Apple Music aesthetically / organizationally compared to Spotify, but I know it's gone through at least one overhaul since I last tried it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How could you possibly have a problem with the remote? I don't understand.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My problem with the remote is that it's small and I forget where I put it and then I step on it or sit on it which causes my TV to automatically switch inputs off of whatever I was watching at that exact moment.

Otherwise it's good and fine and really good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Are we all talking about the same remote? Why would you put a silicone case on the AppleTV remote? I'm so confused.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. For some reason when I heard "silicon case" I immediately thought of this:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know this is probably more of a digital release issue than a specifically Apple one, but how the gently caress are you gonna release a movie like Mandy and not offer it in 4K/HDR?????

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't imagine anything they could bring out that would be a major selling point over what's already in the 4K. That thing is basically perfect.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If your TV doesn't have a 60hz HDR mode then just set the aTV to be locked in 30hz HDR. The only reason is swaps between formats is because Apple wants the menus to be a buttery smooth 60fps so it defaults to whatever format is 60hz capable for the menus. You shouldn't need to shut off HDR entirely.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
MI:FO is extremely grainy yes. That's just "the look".

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It reminded me a lot of Man of Steel, but with actual color and fun. I didn't mind it but it was definitely noticeable.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
4KATV is really slick.I prefer the experience over the built-in apps but it's also $150 so I can't really recommend it unless you really want it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

what is side click
If you slide your thumb to the left of the touch pad and then click it reminds instead of pauses.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/1110256703201665024

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I enjoy movies a lot and don't mind the occasional $5 iTunes rental and a nice 4K TV combined with a AppleTV4K is great. Your mileage may vary.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been using Plex lately and it's pretty slick. I'll probably never be enough of a media hoarder for it to be an all in one streaming solution, but for the few things I use it with it's great.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've never had an issue with streaming 4K HDR files over WiFi.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

American McGay posted:

I've never had an issue with streaming 4K HDR files over WiFi.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know. (It wouldn't have)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The SE is getting iOS 13.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Endless Mike posted:

And, realistically, they have no need to release a properly-working app until the release version of the OS comes out.
It's this. I'll never understand the appeal of installing beta software on an everyday machine. And then complaining when something doesn't work is even more unfathomable to me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Vince MechMahon posted:

I’ve obviously done this. But the fact that this wasn’t something someone noticed the first day they had this available to them on Valves side is still ridiculous.
What makes you think they didn't notice it?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also they have no reason to submit the fix until the new OS is live.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm unsure what a new version would even have. The 4K is a pretty full-featured device.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's insane to me that people actually watch YouTube. Let alone YouTube on their TV.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There’s lots of obscure movies uploaded to YouTube, plus any movie digital code I’ve redeemed through the Google Play store is playable on YouTube.
This I can get behind. I randomly decided I wanted to watch Daft Punk's Electroma last week and I checked all my regular torrent sites and it was nowhere to be found and then I checked YouTube and there it was.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Have any of the people complaining actually installed the update and used it? I like it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Keyser_Soze posted:

it's like Apple looked at a Roku and said:

1. OHHHH we need an aquarium screen saver!
2. Let's bomb the front page with ads!

:argh:

I'm sure this is the same team responsible for "animoji's" etc. :suicide:
Neither of these things are on the Apple TV dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
CEC rules until you cat steps on your Apple Remote in the middle of the night and you're blinded by the 100% brightness screen.