Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

qirex posted:

Is HBO Now known to be buggy? I've had it hang during a stream like it's buffering but it never starts again. A force quit fixes it but it can still be super frustrating, especially given the pricing.

Early on I had trouble with it on the older Apple TV (pre-tvOS). With the 4K Apple TV, no problems at all.

How’s your internet connection? Distance from WiFi router?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

qirex posted:

My connection is great, I never have buffering in any other apps even for 4k content and my Apple TV is connected via ethernet. It's very specifically a HBO problem. Maybe they didn't pay enough in bribespeering fees to Comcast or something.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the bribes.

Century Link has poo poo peering with YouTube. I’ve got gigabit and I’m lucky to get 1080p.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Why didn't Microsoft just pay some of these app makers to create a Windows phone version? Like offer to pay for the development. They burnt money everywhere else. A Windows version of Instagram may have at least helped stop the market share bleeding.

I know this is tv talk.

That’s the thing. They did pay folks and they also provided MSFT devs to build first party “hero apps” for things like Netflix and Hulu.

Back to tv talk - anyone have issues with the tvOS Hulu app not tracking episodes correctly? Wife and I have been having to track one specific show manually because that show won’t track its progress. Other shows seem fine.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

OGB posted:

What show in particular? No issues so far here.

“Happy Endings” - it’s weird. Every other show is fine but Hulu just seems mad we’re watching this one dumb sitcom.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

That show was aired very much out of order, could be related to your issues?

Ya - I knew that about the first season. We are in the second season and it’s continuing. Main issue is it just doesn’t track progress in a given episode at all.

We watch an episode and no progress tracked whether we finish it or not.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Laserface posted:

:words

My mantra is anything portable is on wifi, anything static is direct Cat5e/6 where possible and Powerline after that if it works in your environment. You basically have to treat powerline as an unstable wireless connection, in my experience.

:words:

If you’ve got the cash, the Netgear Orbi’s are 1000% worth it. I bought the router+satellite kit and then another satellite. Each satellite has 4 1Gig ports on the back. Out of curiosity the other day, I turned off WiFi on my MBP and hooked up over Cat6 to the satellite. I was able to get ~600/600 mbps on my gigabit connection.

Basically, the way the Orbi’s work is they setup a WiFi network on whatever channel you specify - e.g. channel 48. Then, it has a whole bunch of extra WiFi radios in it that it uses as the back haul. So it sets up a couple of hidden networks and utilizes the additional WiFi radios as the wireless backhaul.

In general, I’ve gotten really stable 500/500+ mbps performance through the entire house when I do the Cat6->Orbi->Cat6 connection. The WiFi perp itself is great as well - pretty easily hitting 300mbps even at a distance.

All of that was a long blah blah way to say that’s how I made my Apple TV’s perf way faster playing videos off of Plex or any streaming service. The Apple TV is hooked up over wire directly to an Orbi Satellite and now video loads instantly from basically any service.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

phosdex posted:

I use Infuse and Plex mostly out of habit now. I have Infuse set to not autoplay and Plex is for when I do want autoplay next on. I guess I haven't tried in a long time, but Infuse used to at least autoplay next episodes immediately. I prefer Plex's countdown that can be cancelled.

Once in a while, I run into an x265 file that stutters to hell in the tvOS Plex app but has zero issues with Infuse. No idea why - other x265 files are fine in Plex.

Because of that, I still default to Infuse. It hasn’t ever given me problems so no real reason to pivot back.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Kevyn posted:

Is it me, or does the Amazon Prime app suck poo poo?

I’m trying to rewatch The Wire for the first time in this app (watched it many times on HBO Go.) I’m like six episodes deep, yet every time I hit Resume, it resumes from the same point in S1E1 where I paused it once.

It and Netflix are both garbage. I can never find anything in Prime and playback controls are wack. Netflix is a laggy piece of poo poo and those devs really ought to rethink their career choices.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

only after I finished GOT was it recommended here to use anything but the HBO app. Hulu or amazon..

Couldn’t believe how horrendous it looked and thought it was something on my end

HBO Now was great for me post Season 5. Before that it was garbage.

Edit: that said, then the show became garbage so.. not sure who won that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Violator posted:

Does anyone know how to whitelist video service providers? I’m trying out some ad blocking software on my router, but it’s causing the PBS AppleTV app to fail playback. It tries to play a pre-roll ad, fails, and then errors out of the entire video feed and jumps back to the UI with an error. If I turn off as blocking it works fine. So I’d like to just turn on ads with this feed but i have no idea what to whitelist.

Interesting. I literally just watched stuff on PBS kids with my kid and it worked fine. I run NextDNS at the router with a bunch of blocklists.

Now that I think about it though, I toss PBS $6 a month because it’s public television and they need my money more than most.

I think paying for PBS means I don’t get ads maybe?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I’ve got an Apple TV 4K first gen.

Am I missing anything with the newer ones?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have YouTube premium basically for the no-ads upgrade. However, I'm really used to SponsorBlock on my desktop. Is there a way to implement SponsorBlock on the AppleTV, either with the native Youtube client or a 3rd party workaround?

https://github.com/dmunozv04/iSponsorBlockTV

Google “appletv sponsorblock”

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

I assume since this is just a docker container I could run it on my NAS as the source (which already has other containers for various TV things)?

e: yeah that's what it does

Yep. That’s what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Can we uhh, shut the gently caress up about not-AppleTV things now?

CSPAM is that way.