Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I believe so!

Edit: some channels you get through the actual Verizon box may be unavailable through TV Everywhere.

There's a thread on their support forums that goes through the Pros and Cons of using the TV Everywhere system.

quote:

What channels are not available?
Local networks like ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS are not available via the TV Everywhere feature. You can receive your local stations using a HDHomeRun CONNECT + antenna, or using a HDHomeRun PRIME.

Premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc are also not available via the TV Everywhere feature.

A&E Network channels (A&E, Lifetime, History, FYI, Viceland) do not support live streaming via TV Everywhere.

Nickelodeon and Nick Jr do not support live streaming via TV Everywhere.

The beIN sports channels are not available via the TV Everywhere feature.

How does this compare to HDHomeRun PRIME?
PRIME
Pro: Access to local networks (NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, PBS)
Pro: Streams do not count against your internet bandwidth usage.
Pro: Cable TV keeps working even if internet goes out.
Pro: Dolby surround audio.
Pro: Secondary audio available with audio descriptions.
Con: Limited to three streams per cable card
Con: CableCARD can require monthly fee.
Con: Some channels cannot be watched or recorded by Channels via HDHomeRun Prime.

TV Everywhere
Pro: H264 streams are high quality but don't use a lot of disk space.
Pro: No stream limits.
Pro: Can watch and record cable streams that might be unavilable through HDHomeRunPrime.
Pro: No CableCARD rental fees.
Con: Stereo audio.
Con: No access to local networks stations.
Con: Not all cable channels are available.
Con: Streaming bandwidth counts against monthly data caps.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes it takes a while for 1) it to download (they’re like quite large) and 2) get into your rotation.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Well you'll know in about a month. Apple sometimes has a mid/late-October event and since Apple TV+ is launching Nov.1, you would think that would be the time they would announce a new Apple TV model. Although, I'm not sure what else they could really add to it. I'd kill for a TV tuner in it but I realize that if they were gonna do that they'd have done it years ago. Other than that, I guess they could just do a spec bump with a new processor and keep everything else mostly the same.

Add an always-on mic so it can also act as a speaker-less HomePod.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

A Swiss tv company has produced an alternate remote without the touchpad, apparently with Apple's blessing:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/09/salt-tv-alternative-apple-tv-4k-remote-control/

Maybe we'll be able to get a version of this someday (or Apple will change the remote for the next version that is backwards compatible.)

I don't hate it and think it would do really well in its use case (where you need to select specific on-screen icons instead of scroll through them).

That said, I don't think I can live now without being able to quickly swipe through videos to the spot I desire.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/06/new-apple-tv-uncovered-tvos-13-4/

There's a new AppleTV machine ID inside the tvOS beta, folks say it could be an upcoming ATV refresh with the current A10X Fusion CPU (quad-core, 2 high performance, 2 high efficiency cores) getting a bump up to an A12X Bionic CPU (hexa-core, 2 high performance, 4 high efficiency cores.)

Or, the equivalent of the CPU bump from the iPhone 7 to an iPhone XS/XR.

Thwomp posted:

Add an always-on mic so it can also act as a speaker-less HomePod.

But for reals, it's probably for gaming performance if they really want to grow the Apple Arcade brand.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Channels is still up for me. Sounds like your server side / tuner might be down?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
He may have downloaded a public tvOS beta that included the codecs.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any deals for Apple TVs going on right now?

Starting Friday through Sunday, you’ll get an Apple gift card with the purchase of one.

Either that or go for a refurbished one from Apple themselves.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It works on my 4K AppleTV but not my older AppleTV HD.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’d appreciate a remote redesign that makes it easier to orient and not lose so easily but I honestly love the touch pad.

Every time I’m at someone else’s house or have to use the Roku remote, I wish I could scroll around more quickly.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Edit: I’m probably the outlier where the Apple TV is the only device I have plugged into the TV, no other inputs

I was like this for a while and also scratched my head at complaints about HDMI-CEC.

But now I’ve also got a Switch and it fucks up occasionally. (Also not helped by the Switch not turning everything off when it sleeps. loving Nintendo)

Mahoning posted:

Yeah the closest to a literal appletv panel I could see happening is if they partnered with like LG or Samsung to put tvos on some of their high end OLEDs, which would frankly be pretty cool. But Apple hasn’t really done something like that since the Motorola ROKR line, which I wouldn’t call a huge success for Apple (though who knows, it probably got a ton of ppl bought in to the iTunes ecosystem).

I mean, they’re halfway there with Airplay 2 integration with some vendors. HomeKit support as well on some models.

But that’d require the hardware maker to license tvOS from Apple which 1) Apple would never allow and 2) as mentioned, hardware margins are thin as is.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It sounds more like the rumors of a HomePod version of a Google Nest Hub than anything else.

Though with a big enough screen, it would blur the lines between smart speaker and smart tv.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had hoped the new remote would be less slippery. Guess I won’t know until I have one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So the new remote is only slightly thicker (3mm diff), 12mm longer, and actually more skinny (35mm wide versus 38mm on the old remote).

It’s 18g heavier for anyone who can tell the difference.

Honestly, I hoping for something less prone to slip between the couch cushions. And also maybe a locator sound?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And also, there just isn’t a huge imperative to update the AppleTV to the latest processing tech. It’s still doing 4K, though the new model will do higher refresh rates.

Unless Apple get serious about gaming, the A12 is more than good enough for light gaming and 4K high refresh rate video.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it’s not really a function for us (us meaning goons who are really into tech and will generally fiddle with tv settings)?

Maybe it’s more for casual buyers who might never change it out of demo mode.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Monoprice is a safe bet.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For those who remember, does the new remote’s aluminum feel identical to the old pre-Siri Apple remotes that were also aluminum?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I find that it’s pretty useful for figuring out which service has specific content.

And as with all things Apple, the more you’re invested in it, the more you get out of it.

I’ve got smart home stuff through HomeKit and having it all accessible via the tv (or whatever Apple device I’m using) is convenient. I really want a HomeKit doorbell camera which you can access via the AppleTV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s a standard that’s entirely up to the manufacturers to implement (or at least once upon a time was).

In the older days (from which a lot of consumers still have equipment dating to), it was implemented either partially or ineptly. Not all the time, but enough to cause a problem with just one piece of a home setup to cause an issue.

And it really only “works” when every piece works.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

canyonero posted:

My Pros are great except they tend to slowly wiggle out of my ears, especially if I'm eating or talking with them in. My AirPods Regular never had did this, and it's surprising considering the more custom fit of the Pros. Oh well.

This is so funny to me because I had the opposite problem (regular AirPods would slowly wiggle out, Pros do not).

I guess Steve intended for Pros to be in my ears and AirPods for yours. (RIP to your situation as the 3rd gen AirPods are rumored for a Pro like form factor)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Switch won’t output surround sound unless it’s plugged into the audio device directly.

Unless your tv and soundbar support the weird PCM implementation Nintendo did with the Switch.

In theory, the soundbar can pass through the video to the tv but I found this caused more problems with CEC than was worth it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Anyone do any AirPlaying of YouTube to AppleTVs and use the Vinegar extension?

It looks like something is blocking or glitching out airplay at anything at or above 720p quality.

Seems to maybe be a tvOS 16 bug? I can airplay 1080p to my LG tv via it’s implementation of AirPlay. I can watch 1080p YouTube on the phone with no airplay. I can airplay 4K videos from my camera roll to my AppleTVs.

But trying to airplay youtube to an actual AppleTV is giving me a little Cannot Play symbol (red circle with line through it). And it’s been this way since tvOS 16 dropped. Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Oh and I updated the OP.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Anyone do any AirPlaying of YouTube to AppleTVs and use the Vinegar extension?

It looks like something is blocking or glitching out airplay at anything at or above 720p quality.

Seems to maybe be a tvOS 16 bug? I can airplay 1080p to my LG tv via it’s implementation of AirPlay. I can watch 1080p YouTube on the phone with no airplay. I can airplay 4K videos from my camera roll to my AppleTVs.

But trying to airplay youtube to an actual AppleTV is giving me a little Cannot Play symbol (red circle with line through it). And it’s been this way since tvOS 16 dropped. Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Oh and I updated the OP.

Turns out the extension needed updating since iOS16 dropped. 1080p airplay restored.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, a 4K V3 with a Siri remote that has a locator/speaker would be a no-brainer buy. Or at least would be as soon as it went on sale.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Revised AppleTV 4K models were just dropped on the Apple Store.

There's 2 models now with a price cut on the "base" model to $129. The "upgrade" is $20 more. Both models moved to the A15 processor (iPhone 13) and both now support HDR10+ (didn't support the + part before, I believe).

The "upgrade" has a gigabit ethernet port, support for the "Thread" smarthome protocol, and twice the storage capacity than the base model.

Unfortunately, the remote seems unchanged except for the connector moving to USB-C.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oohhh, so the "base" model had functionality stripped (ethernet, Thread support) but got a storage bump from the old base model so they could meet a $129 price point.

The "Upgrade" is just the current 4K with a processor and storage bump for a slightly lower price ($149 versus $179).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Absolutely not, these are phone chips remember which are solely being asked to play video and occasionally games. I'd wager someone finally realised putting a fan in the ATV was massive overkill. I didn't even know they had active cooling.

They only got a fan for the first time with the 1st gen 4K.

The bump to the A15 is powerful enough to handle the 4K streams without heating quite so much like the old chips did.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
TL:DR: Thread is a mesh networking standard that lets smart home stuff relay and talk to each other. Matter is the smarthome device standard that allows a given device to work in across smarthome “frameworks” (think Works with Alexa, HomeKit-capable, Google Home stuff).

Full details here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/matter-and-thread-could-fix-smart-home-compatibility-but-dont-get-excited-yet/

So the AppleTV’s Thread support allows it to communicate directly to other Thread devices.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone with the newest 4K model still experiencing remote issues since any of the recent point releases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have had a similar experience and my take is it’s likely the way LG implemented CEC.

If my switch was the last thing on and I turn it on again later, the AppleTV doesn’t try to hog the input. It’s only when it was the last input active when the LG tv was last on.