Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So how's the search work? Is it going through Netflix and whatever streaming services to find "Shawshank Redemption" or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So does Siri searching work within Plex?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ah, as expected then.

Unless you must have airplay and you don't have an old mac mini I don't know why anyone would purchase this for Plex.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have the Fire TV stick -- it's whatever. Great price, super portable, and I would expect something that is $125 more to be better.

My point is I've used the FireTV (1st generation) forever and found it to be perfectly fast for both local and remote libraries for Plex. I'm all up in the Apple ecosystem's rear end at both work and home and without Siri integration I just don't see the benefit for Plex users unless they require and frequently use Airplay.

If I felt any need to upgrade to the Fire TV 4k or whatever I imagine that Plex is even faster there but I don't notice any issues with what I've got.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The unsourced rumor I heard is that Remote.ipa was written by like one guy who has since left Apple, so making it work with the new Apple TV will largely require rewriting it.

That still makes it barely excusable that they didn't get on that as soon as they could.

Yeah, available resources is really the best excuse for a company like apple to use. Times are tough over there. Especially if one person was able to do the job previously.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

With all of the new Apple products I didn't pick this thread to have the best posts.

I'm actually emailing Apple thanking them for requiring signature on delivery as a way to make sure nothing is stolen off of my completely secure porch :angel:

I still do not understand this sports app business. does it just use your mlb/nba/nhl streaming subscription logins?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It saves them from being defrauded by plenty of doorstep thieves who know what days Apple products ship to arrive.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, it's specifically about inconveniencing sperglords like yourself.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

But yeah I forgot it's totally free for Apple to replace products that go missing or that they should just eat this cost because they have too much money and can afford it

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 23, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's a weird bug. I tried writing a new post and it edited my previous one. Oops.

Anyways.

But yeah I forgot it's totally free for Apple to replace products that go missing or that they should just eat this cost because they have too much money and can afford it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think Verizon forces signature but I wouldn't really know given I have a job where I can have things shipped to my office.

Maybe one day noted logistics expert wicka will enjoy the same luxury!!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I'm pretty impressed with the dictation for passwords.

If I login at my mom's place and allow location data, but my wife is watching at home, is that going to piss off DirecTV?

Edit: No auto switching between HDR and SDR....c'mon. The Xbox One S can do this..

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 1, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't use HDR mode. The menus are so dim.

I really wish it autoswitched to HDR mode when the content is actually HDR.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

I think it's pretty impossible to do in a way that's graceful enough for Apple be happy with without TV manufacturers agreeing on a consistently implemented standard, or Apple making their own tv. Apple making their own tv is by far the more likely of those, and it's not even particularly likely.

The xbox one s handles it perfectly.

I think what isn't graceful is the TV looking like it's at half brightness the entire time 4k HDR is selected and the content being presented isn't HDR.

Or, I dunno, make it an option? Just like you have to enable the best modes (4:2:2 chroma), you could enable auto switching if you know what it does.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Where is this sports app they talked about

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wish I could feed my antenna (better quality) and my DTV box into one interface on ATV.

I do this on my Xbox and it’s slick, but I feel like ATV is the future.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Oh no the morality police are here to admonish me for wanting to give a store a brand new unopened product in return for its retail value! Think of the children!

Why’d you ask, then?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

I'm interested in Plex but only really as a music player. For the Apple TV app would it be worth the hassle? I've been searching around but almost every article or video out there focuses on the movies/TV aspect.

Not sure why you wouldn’t just airplay to the Apple TV tbh

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

qirex posted:

I figured as much. I wish somebody on earth made a non-terrible programmable remote nowadays [Harmony is horrible].

Harmony hub is cool and good now. Has a button to run macro to turn on tv, switch input to Apple TV, wake up Apple TV, then control Apple TV.

Creatron stuff is superior but if you just want 3 “make it work” buttons Harmony Hub will do it. I got my wife and parents on it and it requires no maintenance from me once setup.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kalman posted:

Logitech just nuked the local API for controlling the Hub from my home auto system (there’s a replacement, but I have no faith they won’t nuke that one too.). So yeah gently caress them.

Yeah if you’re using the local API for anything then Crestron level poo poo is probably the most useful.

For me I just need the tv to work for my wife and guests so a simple macro works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

withak posted:

Yeah Netflix makes the ATV Netflix app, not Apple. Seems unlikely that Apple's API wouldn't allow interactive stuff like this.

Yes, so it’s a bad look for Apple. Fault is irrelevant.