Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't even realize only 10/100 was even an option for components anymore :stonk:

I honestly didn't even notice since I have a nice shiny 802.11ac router, but god drat. I can't imagine the cost savings makes that much difference even at millions of units. You'd think that with *everything* having 10/100/1000 that 10/100 would almost be a custom order.
You'd be shocked at the garbage that ISPs give you. When I was on Fios, the modem/router was 802.11b/g at a time when n was ubiquitous, and since it was Fios, adding your own equipment meant essentially running a subnet since turning off the routing functions was apparently impossible. I wouldn't be shocked if they were 10/100 ethernet, as well. Last I checked (and it's been a bit since it's not available where I live now), that was still the best they were offering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

you're thinking of the old Actiontec (which I still have, because I got it for free and I don't actually use it for wireless). For outside world access, it's perfectly fine; just turn off the built-in wireless and string it to your existing gigabit network and use a separate WAP for wireless. It too only had 100mbps ports but since I only use one for an uplink, it doesn't matter. I'll probably hang on to it until it dies.

But the current non-Actiontec router (the quantum gateway, they're calling it, since it supports over 100mbps download speeds) is apparently quite good, in that it supports all modern Wifi standards. You don't get it for free, though.

Yeah, that's what I did, but how many Fios customers do you think actually do that? I bet it's a pretty small percentage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had no idea that exists! Buying immediately!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Menu" being used to go back is pretty common TV remotes, so it's not that unusual, really, though I do agree that it's unusual for Apple to stick with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a bad solution.

Or, more accurately, it's an okay solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If they had USA, I'd be dropping my cable service immediately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like Rez, but know a guy who literally bled from his eyes after a massive session of it. Made me relieved that I'm really crap at that game.

Was it the game or the grip of drugs he was undoubtedly on while playing it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think the guy has ever touched anything dodgy in his life, which makes me wonder how he got into Rez in the first place.

I haven't either, but I still like Rez a whole lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm confused. Are you Airplaying from iTunes to the AppleTV or playing it from the Movies/TV Shows app on the ATV?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure the HDHomeRun DVR software decrypts that just fine.

The software itself is pretty bad, though, and really ugly.

It's a total MS move to abandon and drop support for software that works well and is reasonably attractive (albeit out of place in a post-Metro world).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

Did Apple actually change their policy on this?
Yes, they said at WWDC that the next "major" tvOS update will allow games to require a controller.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's nice not to have your computer tethered to a computer while you're lying on your bed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple released the Apple TV Remote App today. It's not the same app as the old remote, so it won't just update to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The old one worked fine for me, as does this one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pretty sure the old one did, as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The two channels I most want (USA and ESPN) are in different Sling packages and it would cost me more to cancel my TV subscription and get that than to carry on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's essentially an iPhone 6 with less throttling running at 1080p, so if you've been using newer iPhones then it'll seem less powerful

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

Yeah but I mean... I don't really recall ANY iPhone games performing this lovely on any iPhones in the last 5 years. But every Apple TV game feels like a lovely subpar port. Like the ATV4 just can't keep up.

I wonder if that's a function of how it downloads stuff on-demand. I don't know, I don't play games on my ATV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The third generation Apple TV is end of life and doesn't even support Apple Music, so I wouldn't bet on it getting any new services added. I assume that's what you're asking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Well after previously saying they don't work, all the major players are going back to data limits (this time at 1TB instead of 200-300GB.) You make the guess.

As a dope still using cablecard, I'm almost kind of ready and willing to throw net neutrality under the bus if it means these apps you get as part of your subscription aren't chewing into that.

Congrats, getting people against net neutrality is the entire reason they're bringing back caps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't had any problems with mine at all other than an HDCP issue in HBO Go that I haven't bothered to diagnose just yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My most-used apps are (in no particular order):

Netflix
WatchESPN
Plex
Channels (though this is probably not very useful to a lot of people)
HBO Go

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

10 m is being generous when you start accounting for walls and the like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

It looks okay. I feel it costs quite a bit, though I'd rather devs charge what they need to in order to keep working on something. Again, I don't use it because our house is family unit that can only afford an Apple TV on the family room TV, and all the bedrooms have cheap Android devices.

How do you know they're not charging that? It's a niche app for a niche device. Even at $20, I can't imagine they're getting rich on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it's a Hulu original series like Handmaid's Tale, it's absolutely their fault.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Only AppleTV news out of WWDC today was Amazon Prime Video is confirmed. Only "later this year" confirmed for timing.

It'll probably launch with the 4K AppleTV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is set up the same though with an Onkyo receiver and HDMI-CEC works perfectly. I just click the AppleTV remote a couple of times and everything turns on to the correct input

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

I wish this had 4K support. It's crazy that tvs have built in support but they still haven't updated this to do it. Ridiculous.

Atleast it's getting amazon but considering getting rid of this for a Roku which is a shame because I love the Watch Next features :(

There's almost certainly a 4K one by the end of the year

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Generic universal remotes work just fine. The problem is you lose swipe actions in apps that use them, though if all you're doing is watching stuff, this probably doesn't matter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That thing is ridiculous but also looks very useful.

My only real complaint is that my cat will step on the ATV remote and turn everything on. I've since just put under the coffee table where he doesn't walk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah the ESPN app rules for college football. Set up four games, and switch the audio between them or full-screen one when things are happening.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He also seems to forget that it's passively cooled, unlike the others he listed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No idea. You won't need it once iOS 11 hits, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

While not impossible, I'd be very, very surprised if they sell out before the morning.

And they'll be in stores (including authorized resellers) the same day they'd arrive via shipping.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use mine all the time, but just video stuff, so I'm pretty sure I'm not bumping up anywhere near the 32 GB storage. So I just went with that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah man, watching two streams right now and it owns bones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Pretty likely actually, it’s never a line generator like the iPhone, and i don’t think it’s going to drive current ATV owners to run Out and upgrade immediately.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to sell out. Best Buy will likely also have them if they somehow do sell out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The stores around me all have 32 GB models for immediate pickup, but no 64 GB until the 20th of October. I have a 32 GB arriving, but probably should have gotten 64 since it's only a $20 difference. Oh well not a huge deal, really.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Mine just got delivered. It looks exactly like the 4th gen. Wahoo.

It has holes in the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tell UPS to leave it at a UPS Store and pick it up at your leisure.