Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use my 3rd Gen on ethernet and it works great. Airplay doesn't depend on wifi on the appletv end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My Best Buy didn't have it. They had no idea there was a new one coming. Had no issue getting one at the Apple Store.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The old nhl app is available in the App Store. I installed it, signed in, and tested it this morning with my single team game center live account and it worked perfectly

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mulls posted:

So, overall this is dope, but I have a few complaints:

1. The new on-screen keyboard sucks. The one-row interface means controls cab be 30 or so places apart. The only grid pattern was better.

... Snip ...

3. They changed the IR-receivers commands for the worse. Most of my Harmony remote's commands work, but some don't. The play button and d-pad work. The fast forward, rewind, and pause buttons are recognized by Apple TV as some sort of command (because I can't teach the Apple TV them in the learn remote screen), but they also don't do the things they are labeled for.

1. I discovered that if I entered a search box using my harmony remote it gave me the old grid style keyboard. If I entered a search box with the new remote it gave me the horizontal keyboard

3. My harmony remote's ffw and rwd buttons work fine. I only tried it in the NHL app but it worked fine.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The rejections have been about breaking rules about linking back to the website for purchases (presumably for plexpass)

Of all of the reasons Apple might want to hold Plex back, this one seems like it can be addressed in short order.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That's $3 less than you can get a brand new atv3 at Best Buy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there any way to browse the App Store? All I see are featured and search.

Edit:
I've got an HDMI based home theatre surround receiver so on my tv everything is on the HDMI1 input. I can be watching tv through my cable box or playing a game on the Xbox one and the Apple TV will go to sleep. When it goes to sleep its sending some signal to my tv that gets passed through the surround receiver even though the surround receiver is on another one of its inputs at the time and my tv responds with "any net+ device disconnected" or something like that ( it's a 2007 Samsung LCD) and spontaneously switches inputs on the tv from HDMI1 to the internal tv tuner. I disabled sleep on the Apple TV and it hasn't done it since.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 31, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I love the new ffw rwd scrubber showing the seconds. Makes it super easy to skip through commercial breaks in hockey games that have a bit of buffer.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there a trick to scrubbing through a video in plex? I can't get it to work with either remote. My harmony remote just takes me back to the menu when I do ffw or rwd. The new atv remote won't let me slide around at all. Just pauses, moves the cursor, the snaps back to where it was when I started moving it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's obviously not functioning right as everyone else is able to log into youtube. It's either something wrong with your specific apple TV or your Google account. Apple store could at least narrow it down by you trying it within their store. They are good at facilitating troubleshooting.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Subjunctive posted:

Is password re-entry a big deal? I think most just get entered once, so unless you sync from iCloud somehow it won't help to have a touch option for subsequent use.

It's not a big deal but it's a step back from previous versions. With the addition of the App Store you're going to be logging in to more things because you're going to have more apps to log in to. An option of having the old method of text entry with the new remote would even be a welcome change. Scrolling through individual letters is such a pain.

If you have a harmony remote or a previous generation Apple TV remote you can use them with the atv4 just fine, and if you enter a text entry field with them you get the old style keyboard. The software for the old style keyboard is still there, it just doesn't let you use it with the new remote.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lasalas posted:

Infuse for Apple TV is out

http://firecore.com/blog

How is nobody talking about this?

Because Plex is free and it got there first.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you have a jpg with the same filename as the video file plex uses that as the cover art. I use it all the time.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cornjob posted:

I know, but it sucks at properly identifying things right the first time, and the changes you make cant be exported. If you move your plex server to a different machine, you lose all your changes. If your library is large, with lots of customization, its a pain in the rear end.

There isn't an official way in the app but the config files and database are portable by simply putting them where they belong on the new machine. I'm not sure where they live on Mac (but I'm assuming in ~/Library/Application Support/) but on Windows they are in the appdata folder for your user.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

e.pilot posted:

And other than Colbert, who gives a single poo poo about any of their lineup?

Well there's football and basketball on CBS.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I was under the impression that the live streaming service was supposed to just be live streams of TV channels so I would imagine that it would. I think NFL is available on the NBC sports app for Sunday nights.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I can't imagine a battery that small would take more than an hour to charge. Leave it plugged in for an hour and forget about it for a few months.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
For the past couple nights the NHL app has not been letting me start a live game from the beginning. Usually you're able to pick which team's broadcast you want and then you can hit the play button to start the stream from the beginning. The message stating that you can do that is still there but it just doesn't work. It displays the first second or so of the stream, then the scrubber skips forward to live video. Really annoying.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

noirstronaut posted:

I'm still debating if I want a new Apple TV. What is everyone doing with theirs that they didn't do on the old one?

Plex, much better play controls, siri to precisely operate those play controls.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

tofes posted:

Anyone using gamecenter live on their AppleTV 4: does scrubbing not work correctly? Whenever I try to fastforward, rewind, or scrub the video it always just defaults back to what's live.

I've had that problem for the past week or so. It's annoying. I use Siri for time skipping now and it still works fine.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Martytoof posted:

Also, you know, AppleTV..

I believe he was implying using swiftkey on your phone in concert with the Remote app to control the AppleTV.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The new NHL app sucks. I try to watch a game by logging in and it never redirects me back to the game after logging in, then i hit menu to go back and the game is still locked and asks me to log in. Then I uninstall the app, reinstall it, log in at the buy nhl screen and the games no longer have the lock icon but when I go to play one it says I'm logged in at another location and won't let me pick a game. I check my computer, I go to the site and log off. Doesn't work.

Annoyed.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I couldn't get it working. Logged in on the xbone and it works fine there. I guess I'll use that until the bugs are worked out.

Edit: weird, the forums word-filter x bone as one word to xbox one.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can't play either stream of Colorado vs Chicago now, on anything. Not on pc, xbone, xb360, iPad, android, nor apple tv. Pissed off.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
And we will probably have it for a long time because it's basically the same interface on all set top boxes now. I think they were going for UI consistency.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lincoln posted:

Any time I watch a movie through iTunes, interpolation/judder reduction kicks in and I get the soap opera effect. Judder reduction is disabled on the TV itself, and only kicks in when I'm viewing something in iTunes via Apple TV. Can't find the option to disable it anywhere in the Apple TV menus.

Are the movies purchased from iTunes or were they encoded by you? The movies might be encoded with frame interpolation and there's nothing you can do about that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You really don't need to reboot very often. You can likely go a couple of months without rebooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was gonna say that, but then I remembered just how unstable my ATV2 running Kodi was and itd hard lock quite regularly. That was an iOS version prior and a Kodi version waaaaay older so might not be an issue anymore, but a tethered jailbreak would put me off to be honest.

I moved to an Apple TV 3 and sold my 2 for a good profit, and switched my setup to Plex and never looked back.

Oh yeah I forgot how unstable XBMC was back then when I had a jailbroken atv2. Best to steer clear of the tethered method.