Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

canyonero posted:

Cult of Mac has a sorta review (they call it a review anyway). App Store doesn't seem available yet (read: no Plex).
http://www.cultofmac.com/393941/4th-generation-apple-tv-review/

Remember that you should be able to combine Discover's Apple Pay bonus if you buy in store. Not sure if BestBuy supports Apple Pay yet.

They took it down, I'm guessing it went up too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Could someone give me the rundown on why Plex is a thing I should start paying attention to?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605&perpage=40

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Ok, the new Netflix app sucks. Which isn't exactly Apple's fault since Netflix actually made this app. They basically removed the ability to select specific genres. Unless I'm missing something.

If it's the same as the Roku app, you're not missing anything, it's just a bunch of recommendations and top lists.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

I will not purchase a new aTV until it at least has feature parity with the aTV3's netflix app for christ sakes That's god damned ridiculous.

Yell at Netflix then, it's their app. Seeing as how the new atv just matches the Netflix apps that have been out for existing boxes for years, I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Target has the ATV3 on sale for $51 today only and then again on Black Friday

http://target.com/p/apple-apple-tv-black-md199ll-a/-/A-14051076

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got a plex pass when they had the $129 special a few weeks back. My 2 main reasons were OTA DVR (since my DTV Now sub doesn't have locals or DVR) and the mobile sync feature which is an easy as hell way to get videos on to the iPad for the kids.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

That remote looks like it will have a retina (because why not), display. At a guess I'm thinking there will be an API so the layout of buttons will change depending on app or context. If the Amazon Prime Video app drops on release, this looks like it may displace the Shield TV as my primary video device.

That's just a fan mockup, the only thing we have right now is code small code snippets from an unrelated firmware update.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They sell it at Best Buy too

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TV tech moves slower than phone tech. This was the update that should have been out 2 years ago. Now Apple can go back to ignoring it for another 3 years and there's nothing new on the horizon right now to force them to update any faster.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

Following up my own inquiry: I spoke to one of the fine blue polo shirted folks at the Apple Town Square last night and they confirmed that Amazon Prime Video will be an app in the app store. It won't, according to him, be linked to the Apple TV 4K.

I'm guessing since there's an existing iOS app, that'll just get updated to work on TVOS as well.

Yay.

I think he's correct but there's no way a lowly retail worker knows what's Apple and Amazon's streaming and app plans are more than you or I do. They just read the same rumor blogs that we do.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

[quote="“WithoutTheFezOn”" post="“476694161”"]
If your model has the silver remote with a click wheel it will be called “Apple TV (3rd gen)” and no the new remote won’t work with it (plus the new remote costs $79).
[/quote]

Apple dropped the price of the new remote to $59 now, that was nice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm having an issue with Plex on AppleTV. If i'm watching a TV show, the 30-60 seconds drops out. It will start buffering around the 90 seconds left mark for a second which will increase exponentially until about 30-60 seconds left and then the file will just stop. The file plays fine on my Roku boxes, and I can finish the episode by using VLC on my phone and airplay.

Anyone else see this before?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Live OTA or DVR'd shows?

I'll have to look later, since I pretty much use Channels for OTA stuff.

Nope, plain old mkv files.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I can tell none of you has worked retail if you're freaking out this much about a box being in the wrong place

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Does anyone know if Hulu, Netflix or YouTube are 4K yet?

“So far, the only third-party app that supports 4K is Netflix, but Apple says Amazon's upcoming Prime Video app will offer it as well. 4K is also coming to the YouTube app soon, and Apple is negotiating with Hulu to enable it eventually. (So far, Hulu only supports 4K on game consoles.)”

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/21/apple-tv-4k-hands-on/

Netflix is also HDR on most of their originals.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a Meijer near you they are going to be selling the AppleTV with a $50 gift card on Black Friday

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Minidust posted:

Ha, I was considering doing just that. Good to know!

Are there any system-level issues with sharing TV provider sign-in credentials between different Apple TVs? My, uh, friend might want to share some cable channel apps with his in-laws. I'm just assuming the general sign-in options are a convenience thing and have nothing to do with any limitations placed on the individual TV channel apps. This friend is also probably also gonna get additional Apple TVs for his house!

Nope, we have multiple sign ins on our ATV. It'd kind of a widely accepted practice and outside of major streaming services like DirecTV Now which do GeoIP stuff, no one cares if you share a login to get to the Disney app or whatever.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

True, but it would be nice if I could say "Search Plex for XXXXXX" and it would automatically open Plex, go to the Plex Search tab, and populate the search field with XXXXXX.

Seems like something that's technically possible, but something that Apple would never do because it goes against their "universal search" mantra.

My Echo can do this, except I have to have the Plex app open first

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah Best Buy records the serial number on all Apple purchases. I think most retailers do.

Just sell it for cash. They’re going for $120-130 new

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The lack of “play from beginning” is baffling to me. We watch a ton of kids show on Netflix, and kids shows get replayed over and over and over again. Every time we open up Ninjago or whatever, all the episodes are half played (since these kids never sit still for a full episode) and we have to pick an episode and manually rewind it to the beginning every time. Every single day we have to do this dance, it’s so dumb.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Steam Link box goes on sale for $5-10 so if you need kb/mouse you can always just get that instead.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Apple rejected the SteamLink app. Because of course they did.

Not true; they approved it, Steam announced it and then they revoked the approval lol.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm going to guess Apple wanted to reveal it at WWDC?

If that's true they're still not talking to each other because Valve put out a statement saying they're not sure why the app was denied besides a vague "business conflicts with app guidelines"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

IME if you launch something at Apple wanted to show at WWDC, they sulk a bit but don’t bounce your app.

My guess would be that the Steam payment system is exposed in some way that they don’t like. They are savagely sensitive about that.

Yeah, prevailing theory is that Apple wasn't getting a 30% of sales from the Steam store if that was included in the app.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spotify is also a good "vendor neutral" option that works on Echo and Roku devices.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have this guy on my remote in bright rear end red

Makes it easy to spot in a room and I haven’t lost it yet

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You shouldn't be running two networks. Can you turn off/disconnect the Verizon router and just use it as a modem?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

Would Sling be the best option for getting some cable channels? I use various streaming services for the shows I watch, but there's a few things that I want to watch live:

USA, TNT for rasslin'
MSNBC and CNN for news

It looks like with Sling that would be $25 for Sling Blue + $5 News Package for $30 a month. $1 a day doesn't feel terrible. That's $25 cheaper than the cheapest special with cable and $20 cheaper than PS Vue.

I have Charter and I was using my folk's credentials since I'm only watching a few shows, but that is starting to not work in apps like MSNBC where it won't play live streams any more. I'm guessing because of their zero sign-on tech where they're matching the device to the specific IP for service or something.

Yeah, Sling would be cheapest.

You can use Suppose.tv to compare packages: https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=2&f=1l2l446!419!275!73l250l50l1l0lll1&r=rJfgFHNPV

We have a "Cutting Cable" thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NitoTV figured out that there is a pin layout for lightning connection on the Apple TV 4k PCB

Someone else found the external connector hiding behind a flap in the Ethernet jack

https://twitter.com/littlesteve/status/1184961398146650112

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

There’s a fan? Is it only in the 4K and not the regular HD one?

Correct

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4K+Teardown/97511

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WWDC keynote yesterday, With the tvOS update the AppleTV now has the correct codecs to play YouTube 4K videos.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299637/apple-tv-youtube-4k-tvos-14

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

buglord posted:

I use AppleTV to airplay Youtube from my XR. When I used to airplay, I could start the video, leave the app, do other things while it continued to play on the TV. Now, for whatever reason, whether I pull down the notifications bar or the control center, the video stops. If the phone screen turns off, it stops. I have to keep the screen active the entire time to continue the video. Is anyone suddenly having this issue? I have no clue what it can be. I have Youtube Premium and my phone is on iOS 14.

Youtube made some aggressive changes recently to break iOS 14's PIP support in app and on web but it shouldn't affect premium subscribers. Wonder if it affected Airplay somehow

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

And those rumors really haven't been based on anything, I don't know why they keep persisting. There's no major reason to release a new model right now.

I can see them beefing up the processor if they really wanted to push big Apple Arcade titles hard on the aTV

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got one of those bright red silicone condoms for my Apple TV remote because a) I instantly know which side is the right side up and b) I can find the thing easily on a dark couch

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can also use the old silver Apple TV remote with the news ones. They cost $19 and have a home long-press.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is anyone using Infuse? I'm looking at it as a replacement for Plex but one feature we use all the time and I don't see in Infuse is the ability to shuffle play a TV show. Does that feature not exist or am I not seeing it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grimmeh posted:

If you go into the season, you can hit the “…” drop down and choose Shuffle (along with Loop). I really love Infuse.

Can I do this for the entire show though and not one season?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grimmeh posted:

Huh - seems like you can’t! Would be worth sending them a feature request on Twitter. They are pretty responsive.

Thanks, I'll try reaching out. I shuffle episodes of The Office or King of the Hill when I go to bed so not having that feature is a big deal for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought a new ATV 4k after the keynote where they didn't announce anything :owned:

Luckily I got it from Costco so I got 90 days to return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That’s gonna depend entirely on how your adblocking software works. If it’s something like pi-hole, it will give you a real-time list of all DNS queries and if anything is blocked. You can then start the video and view the list, see what gets blocked and then whitelist that domain.

It’s it’s some in-house implementation on your router it’s gonna get more complicated.