Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sedge and Bee posted:

We've never had legal protections for trans gender people in Canada , so this isn't really reversing Conservative actions so much as it is a big step forward in human rights, especially considering the state of trans rights around the world generally.

Ontario has a bunch, BC has some, and Manitoba as well. Oh, and NWT if I remember correctly.

We've never had anything federally, to the point where the government happily outed anyone who ever had their SIN number checked. This is a good, big piece of the puzzle, but it's not the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey, it's 2015 and we're still forcibly sterilizing Indigenous women. Go Canada!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm kind of surprised that after last week's unintelligible racist tweets, Candice Bergen still got into the shadow cabinet. Who am I kidding, they probably got her the job.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cultural Imperial posted:

Guys! Jenny kwan is here at Pearson and she's on my flight to Vancouver. Brb gonna go punch that dumb loving waste of skin in the face

Who's Jenny Kwan? Please don't be violent. :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tagesschau posted:

As an American-Canadian, I demand we shut down Canada due to cultural appropriation.

To fix everything, should we mandate that 33% of all media be devoted to teaching Canadians to do yoga through CanCon?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ikantski posted:

That whole exchange should have gone like this:

Maher: Their values are at odds with our values. That may not be wrong. If you are in this religion, you probably have values that are odds with OUR values. Those values are not OUR values. *quotes David Cameron on the so-called Islamic values like forced marriage and honor killing*
Freeland: I strongly disagree. After the paris attack, it's more important than ever not to discriminate against the muslim faith. Canada recognizes that the problem isn't muslims, the problem is actually straight, single men and we've based our official policy around that idea.

Bam, discussion finished, agreement all around, let's go get a beer.

As someone with a women's studies degree, this is completely true.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

e: vvv I spent 2 months doing a placement at CAMH (and plan on working there once registered) and I found it to be a pretty amazing place that does quite a lot of good work. Its just very understaffed and underfunded. Like most of our health care system.

If by amazing place you mean house of horrors serving as an international center for conversion therapy for queer people, sure. The only reason it stopped is because trans activists (including myself) and MPP Cheri DiNovo teamed up this summer to make it illegal. CAMH has been a blight for decades.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sitchensis posted:

Mind sharing a tl;dr on that?

Here's a good article: https://nowtoronto.com/news/is-camh-trying-to-turn-trans-kids-straight/

There's a lot more to the story, but that's a good introduction for lay people. Bill 77 passed in June I think? God, you'd think I'd remember talking to a Queen's Park committee about why I'm suicidal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Dark One posted:

Speaking of trans rights, guess which bill is back, with its first reading in the new session of parliament? :toot:

I'm not hopeful. Nothing's changed in the Senate, so Don Plett will just turn it into a mockery and kill it again.

RBC posted:

I feel like camh is kind of like tchc: it's real bad and does a bad job in a sector where there is a huge need. So that still leaves you feeling like "at least it exists at all". Which is real sad.

At least for trans care, there are better options, like the Sherbourne in Toronto. It's such an open secret that people keep opening up new trans clinics so they don't have to send people to CAMH. The Ontario government knows it too, since they've now opened up referrals for sexual reassignment surgery.

We'll see what CAMH is like after their internal review finishes and Zucker's out, but previously they were very very bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Dark One posted:

Is there precedent for an opposition-packed Senate rejecting legislation?

I don't know, but they weren't rejecting it before the election, either. What did happen was Conservative senator Don Plett pushed a ton of "bathroom bill" amendments: basically policing trans people's use of washrooms and so on, to the point where passing it would make trans rights in Canada worse. It got really bad, so people were actually glad it got killed with the election.

Now, there's no change in Senate numbers, and nothing to stop Plett from doing the exact same thing again. (The same bill passed the House originally with no amendments too.)

@Nozh: Don't feel bad. As far as I know, CAMH generally does good work with addiction and most mental health issues. Trans care has just been their terrible dark secret for decades. It's why the Ontario government picked them as the central hub for trans services in the province, and why other health care professionals felt good about making referrals there: they're a quality institution that does great work in mental health across a wide range of specialties, it fits. No one just ever paid attention to them not following the international standards of care, etc etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I've donated time and money to CAMH and feel terrible that they've even touched conversion therapy but I'm determined to put whatever pressure I can to make sure they change their ways for the better and provide positive care to trans people.

Thank you. I wish I had suggestions about how you could help, but I honestly try not to think about it too much. It still hurts, a lot. About all I can think of is donating to the Rainbow Health Coalition, if they take donations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Canada's democrary is broken because we've never quite had a Ross Perot post-war, obviously.

I thought that was Elizabeth May.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Now go back, and read what the dude convicted of hate speech said.

Who's that? I thought everyone was gawking at what Ezra Levant said. Seriously what did he say because I can't make heads or tails out of it being anything BUT a potshot at Trudeau.

And TBH, I think Balsillie has a point. An innovating Canada with lots of room for future growth is much better than a Canada only selling oil.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

James Baud posted:

Not the whole bit about unionization...

Oh no! Farm workers might unionize so they can earn a living wage while working safely! That's not the Albertan way!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

lol it's really funny when people kill themselves, I bet their widowed spouses and children think it's a riot

It is funny, especially when they do it ironically.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

The people should have a voice (except when they make bad decisions)

go democracy!

Let's just acknowledge that we all made a mistake and the Trudeaus are Canada's natural ruling bloodline. We'd've been better off with King Pierre for the last 20 years or so.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

gently caress you I like the CBC. Vinyl cafe is some funny stuff.

I'm so sad Stuart had to cancel this year's Christmas tour. :(

But yeah, the Vinyl Cafe is a national treasure and there's a lot of stuff worth listening to on Radio 1 that isn't caller radio.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ikantski posted:

Government of Canada sites feature trigger warnings now. Hopefully they get added quickly to where they're really needed, Ontario hydro bills.

I don't see anything wrong with this, except the Internet slang usage of triggered. MMIW poo poo has ruined the lives of many indigenous people in this country, and having some care regarding "The Official Website of How Your Country Left You To Die" is a good thing.

Plenty of other traumatic issues have similar language attached to them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rime posted:

Last time I checked, Ujjal Dosanjh wasn't white.

THC wasn't saying that he was. Dosanjh literally calls out white men as wrongly being silenced in the piece.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brannock posted:

Which math concept was this, if you feel comfortable answering?

Before they edited it, it said trigonometry.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm pretty sure Alberta was always surprisingly ahead of the curve on gay rights, at least back in the 70s and 80s.

I'm impressed there's four points in there about trans inclusion and then they're still only offering gay-straight alliances. Well, okay, you got part of the message Alberta and DIDNT THINK ABOUT IT AT ALL.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ikantski posted:

Can't trans people join the gay-straight alliance? One thing is your self-identified gender and the other is your sexual preference right? Another article says the students can name it whatever they want so I guess my question is what else would you like to see them offer on top of that?

You've actually pointed out the problem yourself. Sexual orientation isn't gender/gender identity/gender expression. Basically, there's no end of tension and conflict between the groups seen as being under the queer or LGBT umbrella. Frequently and often gay and lesbian groups have refused to support/dropped support for trans (and bisexual) people in order to make their positions more politically palatable and make themselves seem more normal. That's how you end up with groups supporting sexual orientation being protected under the Charter, but not gender identity or gender expression like those disgusting transsexuals.

Because of that, gay is not a welcoming or inclusive term for trans people. It doesn't represent us, and groups that use that language are often at best paying lip service to trans people. Having a specific GSA is saying "trans kids not welcome" in so many ways. However, if you're right - and the specific use of GSA was just in the quote I responded to - then I retract my criticism. That works, even if it's not perfect. The CBC article about that bigoted Catholic bishop mentions queer-straight associations, which are a much better term.

PS: You're right that many trans people can also be involved in GLB groups because of their sexual orientation. The reasons for that are far too long for this thread, but the point isn't that trans people can't participate - the problem is that trans people are excluded from focusing on their trans identity and trans issues in a space that is supposed to be designed for those issues and identities.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Melian Dialogue posted:

Wait, sorry maybe I missed the link or whatever but where was suggested that police draw their weapons and point as a method of de-escalation? Who suggested that this is the case, or is this just an assumption?

A firearm would only be pulled and pointed at someone as a means of self-defence (i.e. to be prepared to quickly stop the threat of it escalates further). I don't think its ever been intended as a method of de-escalation. Its literally only supposed to be "Okay this situation might escalate quicker for mine or someone else's safety in under the 3-4 seconds I have to safely draw and fire".

Criticism of UOF is perfectly fair, but from a philosophical point of view I really disagree with this whole notion that police somehow have given up their right to a modicum of self-defence just because they chose to do a job that puts them in harms way. It's like saying "Oh those oil riggers do a dangerous job, so any policy we look at for safety doesn't matter because gently caress em, they wanted to be oil riggers they know what the job was about". Its a lovely argument.

We're talking about the Forcillo case, where de-escalation was his stated reason for drawing in the first place. Keep up, old chap.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Don't forget that Rona Ambrose actually has a loving women's studies degree somehow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chicken posted:

What help could the Palestinian Authority possibly offer? They don't have any money and I'm fairly certain they have neither the skills nor equipment to fight forest fires.

Maybe not forest fires, but I'm sure they have very good firefighters at fighting urban fires without good equipment. And those firefighters are used to doing it with bad equipment and without any respect too :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Yet there's also significant evidence that there's been American political money flowing into Canada to fund right-wing activism and push right-wing identity politics issues for the last four decades. Not that these two facts are mutually exclusive.

Canada was a world-leader in transphobic science for decades from CAMH. We don't need the Americans to give us a leg up on transphobia. :toot:

PT6A posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure they can just hold it in and do a pee-dance until they get home :v:

For bonus points, the only drug covered for a use case for trans women under Ontario's provincial drug plan is also a strong diuretic. It's a common drug for trans women in North America, period.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 21, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

As someone with both, they're pretty comparable. You hit the soft bits in the awkward place, it hurts for a surprisingly long period of time. Nuts are sharp and then trail off, boobs are a blunt pain that just keeps aching for a very long time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

P-Value Hack posted:

I love this new set of coins specifically because I know how butthurt CI will get over it

It's nice that there's 4 men and a woman in a supporting role.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Constant Hamprince posted:

There's a woman on the opposite side of each one.

Ha ha.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Who loving cares?

Relax. Butt stuff is pretty fun, CI.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh my god I finally got the current thread title. That's horrible. Congratulations to whomever came up with that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Guys I'm posting from the bottom of The Ottawa Sinkhole On Rideau™

I live in here now

This is my home

I'm jealous, how much are you paying? That place is huge!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I feel bad for the desk sergeant, for once. Tons and tons of Americans calling to just scream at you. Why can't they just leave us alone :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

Why do people get so whiny over languages, of all the stupid things? And on a police car, something that it's very important for everyone to be able to identify?

Racism.

More to the point: the fear that the other is becoming acceptable in society while not accepting that the other may not be as deviant as perceived.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Why would we want bestiality off the books? Unless the judges have been spending too much time on furry websites or something. Like I didn't know there was an organized notable activism to make giving your dog cunnilingus legal.

Edit: also Canada's head of state is 90 today. :toot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

The Blatchford column today about Stuckless was pretty good and gives a lot more context for that decision.

no. bad. *hits you with paper*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

THC posted:

Canada's gonna have a civil race war just because white dudes don't get to feel like they're the literal best anymore

Hey it happened to America it happened to us (although up here it'd be "why do those natives want more poo poo the government already gives them everything anyway")

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I completely agree with THC. Devaluing white male cis hetero identities is a very good thing the world needs to do. Decentering and acknowledging our positions helps all of us, and the privileged white male is a huge obstacle in that way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Whoa whoa whoa put the gendered lens down there Niki Ashton phd

I have a Women's Studies degree. :nyoron: (And know enough to understand what Ashton was talking about AND that she was completely misapplying it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

no the board game is supposed to help us FIND a better way to fight ISIS. We are currently still contributing 2 broken hockey sticks and an empty Timbits box.