Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Priority #1 for infrastructure spending: Justin gets a new $10 million house.

quote:

The prime minister’s official residence has been in a state of disrepair for years. On Sunday, former prime minister Jean Chretien told CTV’s Question Period that the 34-room residence was embarrassing.

In 2008, the National Capital Commission estimated repairs would cost about $10 million and would require full access for a minimum of 12 to 15 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Wow Chris Alexander is still in campaign mode and doesn't get that the party was just totally clobbered because they kept saying exactly the same stuff he's still saying now. What a moron.

Chris Alexander: In hindsight, I suppose I probably shouldn't have killed that baby. But, c'mon it's not like it was a Canadian baby! It wasn't even white! If I let it in it would have jihaded and niqabed all over the place.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 27, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:smugdog: Called it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Prime Minister should live in a log cabin in the woods like a true Canadian.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

jfood posted:

The Prime Minister should live in a million dollar 500 sqft condo, wood frame condo that will finish building five years from now like a true Canadian.

The real question is does he live in a van or a tent in the park while it's under construction?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Brannock posted:

Holy poo poo all those years I thought all the cat jokes about Harper were only just jokes

He was just ensuring his food supply.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There are only 22 vacancies, so even if he fills them it's not enough to pass a law without support from current senators.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Woah, there are still three senators who were appointed by Trudeau Sr.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Brannock posted:

Just abolish the Senate.

Seriously.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

Ethnic Chinese comprised 73 per cent of all buyers. Five per cent of buyers were corporations, but the people behind the investment vehicles were not identified. Of 32 homes sold for more than $4 million, 94 per cent of owners were ethnic Chinese and the rest were corporations.

Even more stunning, the study shows that of all self-declared occupations among owners — on homes worth an average $3.05 million — 36 per cent were housewives or students with little income.

Nothing fishy about this at all. Oh, wait:

quote:

Tax experts have raised concerns that offshore investors are exploiting tax code loopholes to evade GST and capital gains. Housewives and students with little or no declared income can live briefly in Vancouver and flip properties tax-free, reports say, while claiming a home is a primary residence. In some of these so-called “astronaut” family arrangements, the real homebuyer lives and works in China while flowing money through relatives into Vancouver in order to store wealth.

Also, recent academic studies have shown that about 30 per cent of households in some of Vancouver’s wealthiest west side neighbourhoods, where Chinese migrant buyers are dominant, declare meagre incomes much below their annual housing costs.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

THC posted:

Conservative ads, in their tone, were easy to confuse with pre-planned funeral ads.

Fairly prescient, actually.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Justin Trudeau: Stair aficionado.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Can someone vehicular homicide Christie Blatchford? You'll probably get away with it. Thanks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

eXXon posted:

See, this is proof that C-51 has saved dozens of lives and that all of the privacy and civil rights issues are bogus. Case closed.

This would never have happened if one of the people in the theatre had strong anti-terrorism legislation.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Canadian Political Megathread: Muslim, Jew, black or Martian, some facts are clearly brainless

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

people can have as many kids as they want regardless of how well they can raise them.

Not if you're Metis in Saskatchewan, apparently.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Put it on display on the wall in the front reception area of the Foreign Affairs building.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

THC posted:

One of my CompSci profs made us watch a Jesse Ventura video :ughh:

"Pretty out-there but he makes a lot of good points! It's good to hear from all perspectives, just something for you guys to think about~"

Was it Predator? He makes some pretty good points about Tyrannosaurus in that movie.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PT6A posted:

No, I've been drinking and it is the collective wisdom of this thread that combining the two represents such a clear and present danger that we should not even permit them to be sold in the same place.

You better stay out of BC then.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hope you guys enjoy paying through the rear end in a top hat for fibre internet.

If Justin really wanted to do something to help both "middle class" Canadians and Canada's economy at the same time he could start by forcing our lovely telecom oligopoly to get in line with Europe in terms of speed and pricing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

THC posted:

Novus is pretty good :smugbert:

'Sup Novus buddy! :hfive:

Seriously, if you can get Novus in Vancouver, you probably should.

No matter where the Syrians run to, the spectre of death is always looming in the background.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 9, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

On the other hand "confused male" is a pretty good description of Nardwuar.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

THC posted:

The mere fact that she is a Conservative is a pretty good indicator that she is lying.

Either that or that she's dumb enough to believe someone else's lies with 100% conviction.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Glyphosate has been getting a lot of bad press lately ever since the IARC classified it as a Group 2A carcinogen back in March. Other deadly substances found in Group 2A include red meat and potato chips! THE HORROR!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ikantski posted:

They "landed" on your property? Like a crow or something stole them, dropped them and poof? If they're gen 1 seeds, you might be okay because they came off patent this year. Supposedly, you can legally save seed from your own crops to re-plant on your own land now.

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/roundup-ready-patent-expiration.aspx

PT6A is pretending to be Percy Schmeiser.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus christ 10 lane bridge replacing a 4 lane tunnel??? Why??? For that money they could have built an LRT or something out to the ferries.

What's really dumb is that there's only a six lane highway on the city side of the bridge, so apparently the bridge needs four extra lanes for reasons? :confused:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 21, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Was that the winter of 98 or something when we got a loving metre of snow in Vancouver? I remember building a snow cave at my parents house

Blizzard of '96.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 26, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Coolwhoami posted:

Most, but not all: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nanimo-marijuana-dipensaries-rcmp-pot-search-warrants-1.3345723

I can't speak to the validity of the complaints, but certainly the fact that in some jurisdictions it may as well be legal (such as Vancouver) is not consistent everywhere.

It's more like everywhere that isn't policed by the RCMP.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Franks Happy Place posted:

I just got word that CAMCD is going to call an emergency meeting and invite every Vancouver dispensary and grow op to join a political coalition, which I may or may not have a big role in. Beyond my desire for paid employment as a weed lobbyist, this is a great first step- they have a LOT of money and could be quite a powerful force if they'd only get their poo poo together long enough to see the existential threat.

I will liveblog the meeting on Friday, I promise. :tipshat:

Make sure that your official job title is "Weedlord".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

THC posted:

Uh, what? Everyone knows renewables are a non-starter. BC's future is in Clean LNG, a million Clean LNG jobs by 2025. Clean LNG is the path to our gas future. Clean gas jobs forever and ever. All hundred years. Clean LNG dot com. Please buy our gas?

The world is full of idiots who don't understand what's important, and they'll tear us apart, Christy. But if ya stick with me, I'm gonna accomplish great things, Christy, and you're gonna be part of 'em, and together we're gonna run around, Christy. We're gonna... do all kinds of wonderful things, Christy. Just you and me, Christy. The outside world is our enemy, Christy... we're the only... friends we've got, Christy! It's just LNG and Christy. LNG and Christy and their adventures, Christy... LNG AND CHRISTY FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS LNG and Christy... some...things... Me and LNG and Christy runnin' around and... LNG and Christy time... a- all day long forever.. all a- a hundred days LNG and Christy! Forever a hundred times... OVER and over LNG and Christy... adventures dot com... W W W dot at LNG and Christy dot com w...w...w... LNG and Christy adventures... a h- hundred years... every minute LNG and Christy dot com... w w w a hundred times... LNG and Christy dot com......

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Haha, get hosed consumers!

quote:

Wireless rates rise with hikes in internet, home phone ahead

Telcos blame low dollar and high cost of building networks for price increases

Bell, Rogers and Telus customers should get set for rate hikes.

The three largest telecommunications companies have raised or plan to raise the prices of their wireless packages in January, and are warning of increases to home phone and internet prices in February.

Telus will be tacking on $5 to its Smartphone and Premium Smartphone tiers beginning Thursday.

The change affects new customers buying phones — including Apple and Android devices — through Telus.

Rogers increased the cost of its Share Everything plans with 5GB, 9GB or 15GB of data by $5 a month on Jan. 12.

Bell also announced price increases effective Jan. 12, an additional $5 for both Lite and Plus Share plans, with increases of $3 to $8 for Mobile TV.

Together, Rogers, Telus and Bell control 89 per cent of the wireless telecom market in Canada.

Blame the low dollar
Telus told CBC News the low Canadian dollar is pushing up the price of new equipment to build out its networks.

"The modest wireless rate plan increase reflects increasing costs for network components resulting from a weaker Canadian dollar, as well as the annual multibillion-dollar investments required to keep up with the growing demand for wireless data. The change applies only to new contracts and renewals, so existing customers won't notice a change to their monthly bills," said a Telus spokeswoman.

Bell said it spends $3 billion annually to expand its broadband networks, but that most equipment comes from suppliers who charge U.S. dollars.

"The massive and ongoing investment required to build world class infrastructure is coming at a significantly higher cost due to the weak dollar," a company spokesman said in an email.

All three telcos also plan to weaken the attraction for bring-your-own-device plans by raising the price of base service.

According to MobileSyrup's Daniel Bader, the telcos are finding average revenue per user is dropping as people adopt more all-inclusive plans, including long distance and unlimited roaming, prompting price increases for some options.

Cost of internet, TV to rise
At the same time, the cost of residential service is rising.

Both Bell and Telus have announced price increases effective Feb. 1 on home phone, and internet and TV packages.

"Price adjustments support our continued investments in network, product and service enhancements," Bell said in a statement.

Rogers has already raised internet prices and plans to boost the cost of TV packages later in February.

In March, cable and satellite companies must introduce a $25 "basic" package and offer consumers either a choice of individual channels or small bundles of channels.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Telcos all raise rates by the same amount at the same time, but it's not a cartel because... :confused:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

sliderule posted:

I'm glad that no conservatives were ever children.

Conservatives spring fully-formed from Kevin O'Leary's shiny forehead.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

At this point the NDP should be directing all of its campaign funds into necromancy research in order to resurrect Tommy Douglas.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Whiskey Sours posted:

What's Kiefer Sutherland up to these days?

He had a cameo in Zoolander 2, so I'm pretty sure he's at least unelectable and potentially on trial for crimes against humanity.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

This seems crazy to me. What is this fund going to be used for by the way?

To fill with imaginary LNG money, of course!

LNG posted:

The world is full of idiots who don't understand what's important, and they'll tear us apart, Christy. But if ya stick with me, I'm gonna accomplish great things, Christy, and you're gonna be part of 'em, and together we're gonna run around, Christy. We're gonna do all kinds of wonderful things, Christy. Just you and me, Christy. The outside world is our enemy, Christy. We're the only friends we've got, Christy! It's just LNG and Christy. LNG and Christy and their adventures, Christy. LNG AND CHRISTY FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS LNG and Christy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Burn BC to the ground, start over. The Okanagan gets the right idea every summer, we just need to expand that to the rest of the province.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Count Roland posted:

CanPol: Alberta oil is the best deal on the planet

He sounds like Trump there.

CanPol Megathread: Make Alberta Great Again

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Idk if you guys saying that my issues with Manitoba drivers have ever driven here. It's mind bogglingly bad, way worse than anywhere else I've driven. Manitoba drivers are their own special breed of gigantic inattentive selfish assholes.

I think that the worst thing about driving in Manitoba is seeing the "Friendly Manitoba" on the license plate of everyone who swerves in front of you without signalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

cowofwar posted:

I've never met a Winnipegger. Where do they get the money to leave?

Collecting empties.