Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Taxs cars and houses more, and even better, tax cars being used as houses or houses that can be towed by cars doubly.

Don't even get me started on boats, airplanes, dirigibles, submersibles and spacecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I could live with a land transfer tax that lowers with consecutive years of ownership and scales with number of properties owned by the seller and/or sold by them in recent years but seriously gently caress house flippers. Oh, like the worthless realtor who recommended herself to an elderly neighbour, then bought the house herself at a neat discount from the market rate as a favour :rolleye:.

e2: oh god the argument about lost revenues from subsequent renovation spending, it's too much.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 27, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

One minor point, I'm at a bar watching baseball and can't fully rebut your post, but didn't the RCMP admit to bombing an oil well in Alberta to frame and bring charges against a farmer (who had a record of troublemaking and illegal activities) in aid if an oil producer he had been causing problems for back in the 90s? That's not 40 years ago, and if that doesn't fall under the umbrella of "dirty tricks" I don't know what would.

Indeed, 1999 wasn't 40 years ago last time I checked. Also it was a shed at the site, not the well itself.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I don't care what he was shadow minister for*, how does he know that after repeatedly promising - both before and after the election - that this would be the last Canadian Federal election under FPTP that the government won't honour its promise?

Craig Scott posted:

I honestly do not believe that — at the leadership level of the Liberal Party — there is a commitment to proportional representation.

What part of that statement is wrong? The Liberals never promised PR. Was there ever a motion to support PR at a convention, even?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

But if executives have to pay more taxes, they'll just leave and execute somewhere else instead of creating jobs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ikantski posted:

The FAO calculated the corp tax returns into his report today.

Where does the current sale price lie, closer to the first or second case?

Either way, it's 9-16 years to hit break even, after which the province will be losing 500 million annually from the sale. Bravo, cryptocon premier.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That must be the first time I've seen someone write "limited opportunity for white males from Toronto". And it came in the same sentence as a suggestion that Bill Blair may have to cool his heels, which is great news if true.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh hey, Ivison was right about something.

Also, picking a multi-millionaire businessman, member of a zillion corporate boards and former chair of the CD Howe Institute, and white male from Toronto as finance minister is just the kind of progressive change unlikely victory for a disadvantaged minority Ivison wrote about the other day.

The science minister sounds like a refreshing change from the previous choices of 'young Earth creationist' and 'chiropractor'.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kafka Esq. posted:

I think possibly the dumbest complaint I've heard about the new Cabinet is "you say this cabinet looks like Canada? WHAT ABOUT ALL THE BLACK PEOPLE? AND LATINOS?!"

How can this be the dumbest complaint if there's a shred of truth to it?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

M.McFly posted:

I find this hard to believe but I'm open to being convinced. A quick search around Google seems to point the opposite. Do you have a source?

I've heard the claim before and find it plausible because some cancer treatments are really expensive, but even if it were true that dying early of heart failure reduces healthcare spending,it's a little myopic to suggest that that's a net benefit to society.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How about the fact that 100% of the cabinet are Liberals?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cultural Imperial posted:

ITT, no one has ever heard of arbitrage

I hate to quote a CI post but I'm still wondering what this was supposed to be in response to, or is it just a mini-Hal post apropos of nothing?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What if everybody takes home a tablespoon or jar full of sewage every day and dumps it into the toilet just before they were going to flush anyway? Environment saved.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SOCIALTEA
I WOULD PREFER A PM FOCUS ON GROWING THE ECONOMY RATHER THAN THE SIZE OF REFUGEES

23 hours ago
75 Likes

Second most liked comment under a CBC article about Keystone XL

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dreylad posted:

Oh hey Toronto airports and activism I know something about th-- aw it's over already.

Montreal had Toronto beat for worse airport connection in North America when Mirabel Airport existed!

No it's not over! The complaints about the UPX not being world class enough are stupid. Yes, it was and still is an overpriced, mismanaged project because the OLP were responsible for it - surprise! - but purely as a way to get to the airport it's fine. Compare it to Sydney: circa $15 to get from the airport via train, for a much closer airport. Melbourne, no train link at all. Perth, ha ha ha ha yeah right the lovely buses don't even run past around 11 pm. Brisbane apparently spent $3 billion on an underground toll road linking their airport downtown, even though it's under 7 km away.

I'm also still not getting why it should be public policy to make air travel both convenient and cheap. I fly a fair amount and can recognize that it's generally a wasteful luxury that dumps greenhouse gases in the upper atmosphere. Never mind expanding it, why does Billy Bishop need to exist at all? Yes it's convenient for downtown flyers, great. The Gardiner is convenient for driving through and it's still a planning disaster that should be torn down.

e: Helsing, Morneau wasnt just on the CD Howe board, he was the chair.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

See, this is proof that C-51 has saved dozens of lives and that all of the privacy and civil rights issues are bogus. Case closed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

jsoh posted:

im certain that the islamic state has more to do with twenty plus years of western interests intentionally destabilizing the middle east than it does with religion

I think you're off by about a century on that estimate, and certainly more if you include Egypt/Suez.

Actually I have to share this hilarious bit of European dickwaving from Wikipedia:

quote:

The canal opened under French control on 17 November 1869. Although numerous technical, political, and financial problems had been overcome, the final cost was more than double the original estimate. The opening was performed by Khedive Isma'il Pasha of Egypt and Sudan, and at Ismail's invitation French Empress Eugenie in the Imperial yacht Aigle piloted by Napoléon Coste, who was bestowed by the Khedive the Ottoman Order of the Medjidie. The first ship through the canal was the British P&O liner Delta.[54][55] Although L'Aigle was officially the first vessel through the canal, HMS Newport, captained by George Nares, passed through it first. On the night before the canal was due to open, Captain Nares navigated his vessel, in total darkness and without lights, through the mass of waiting ships until it was in front of L'Aigle. When dawn broke, the French were horrified to find that the Royal Navy was first in line and that it would be impossible to pass them. Nares received both an official reprimand and an unofficial vote of thanks from the Admiralty for his actions in promoting British interests and for demonstrating such superb seamanship.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 14, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rosie DiManno wrote a terrible and incoherent column on how now is not the time to cut and run from Syria. I don't recommend reading it, so I won't link it.

She did also write a somewhat more coherent and significantly better (relatively!) article on suicides in the military. If her summary of the report is accurate, then the suicide rate in the CF is lower than in the general public. However, it's slightly higher amongst combat arms personnel, and probably significantly higher amongst those who actually saw action in Afghanistan, but that's only a small fraction of personnel so uh not much can actually be concluded about that. Except the article ends with some nonsensical prattle about how mentally tough Canadian soldiers are and how we shouldn't worry about their mental well-being because they're tougher than us. Okay then?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

THC posted:

100% of terrorists identified so far are French nationals. We gotta stop the boats you guys

Bomb the poo poo out of our military? What is she, female CI?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

The NDP were a non-force this election and anyone with half a brain saw they were going to get stomped. They had no real platform on top of having to deal with the Cult of JT. The only real surprise was our East Coast clearly telling Harper to get hosed. Actually, a good majority of the country were apparently tired of having their corn flakes pissed in and decided to tell Harper to gently caress off ;).

Cool story. Did you actually put money on the Liberals winning before the election started? Who successfully predicted how it would end (and why) before the campaign began, if the outcome was so blindingly obvious?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 27, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kafka Esq. posted:

Canada needs a “roadmap” to guide future investments in “big science and large-scale science projects,” both domestically and abroad, says the head of the Canadian Foundation for Innovation.

It's nice that he's going to bat for funding big science infrastructure and experiments, but regarding the comment that individual disciplines need to develop their own roadmaps and priorities for the next x years... Well, some already do. I would say most but i don't know specifically about bio/chem - I imagine their relevant socieites must have 5- or 10-year plans. That won't make the money appear any faster, sadly.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Turn Alberta into a giant kangaroo farm and shrug off the consequences of introducing an invasive species from Australia as you eat delicious lean red steaks every day.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

THC posted:

I would not be surprised to learn there is an organized effort (or multiple efforts) to post and upvote anti-FN hate comments. Within minutes of a story about FN being published they are all over it, and the apparent consensus is so much more extreme right-wing than any other CBC comment threads.

Most of these stories have no more than one or two hundred likes for the top comments. I don't really care what a few hundred idiots think. I am somewhat concerned that their dumb opinions float to the top of the comments section for many more impressionable fools to read. It would be nice if they brought back down voting by unregistered users but disabling comments is fine too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Does riding a horse shirtless make you a hero or is it invading Ukraine?

Tighclops posted:

"Middle class" Canadians are typically insufferable because they don't know the value of what little money they have, how they have it or the value of any human lives they don't immediately associate or interact with regularly, yet they are just comfortable enough to (in their minds) justify their callous disregard for others

Hey good job quoting a terrible post from a sheltered sociopath and agreeing with it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

In another case in 2013, the government decided to convert a coal-fired plant in Thunder Bay to biomass in order to keep the plant going after the province stopped burning coal for electricity. Energy experts at the OPA told the government the conversion was not cost-effective, but the government told them to do it anyway. As a result, power from the plant costs $1,600/megawatts per hour, which is 25 times more than the cost at other Ontario biomass plants, Ms. Lysyk found. What’s more, some of the biomass burned at the plant is actually imported, which undercuts part of the rationale to keep the plant going to help Ontario’s forestry industry.

In a third situation, in January 2010, the OPA warned the province that the Lower Mattagami hydroelectric project was $1-billion over budget, but the government decided to proceed. As a result, power from that plant costs $135/megawatts per hour, compared to an average cost of $46/megawatts per hour for two other recent hydro projects, Ms. Lysyk found.

The province also produces enough extra electricity to power the entire province of Manitoba, an excess that costs consumers, Ms. Lysyk found.

For instance, the province paid $3.1-billion to power generators between 2009 and 2014 to produce excess power that was not needed, plus another $339-million to not produce power. The province also paid $32.6-million to exporters to take the province’s excess power of its hands and distribute it to other jurisdictions.

This is some very serious Libbing here.

The sad part of all of this is that there doesn't seem to be any grand purpose or at least scheming corruption in any of this. Yes, $2 billion or so were wasted in that Mississauga gas plant scandal to win a byelection, but what's the point of the rest of this poo poo? Surely there are more effective methods to benefit from cronyism and buy votes?

PS in case you were wondering, it costs $50 million to rename a hospital after your dead child.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If it makes anyone feel any better, mental health care is better in Ontario than in Australia. I don't know if I've ever heard of a private psychiatrist charging $400/hour like I've seen in Oz. On the other hand, if you can get accreditation to practice psychiatry in Australia, it must be a license to print money.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canada's democrary is broken because we've never quite had a Ross Perot post-war, obviously.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hal_2005 posted:

Nope. Kindly check the act dumbass. I had to read it more then twice with legal counsel verifying each statement so dig deeper then a NDP press release which is totally unbiased, amirte?

Edit: Jesus you wasted 3 posts on 1 explanation? When did you go off your meds? Farm margins are so well documented as a cash intensive operation I'm not sure how I could even argue against trying to explain farming is not exactly a earnings rich field of work.

Farms work on trade credit. They also work on operating loans financed by their crop insurance premiums and sold forward contracts for harvested production. Layering into this poo poo sandwich, nearly all farmland and machinery is financed by land leases/mortgages. So pray tell, CI (keeper of D&D's domestic debt bubblewatch), how can overleveraged families who monetize all land revenue each year to meet their operating interest payments find fresh cash to set aside for defined benefit accounts remitted to the AB govt ?

Seriously, its Friday. Go out. Get laid.

A farm is a piece of land used to grow crops and/or raise animals.

People who grow these plants or raise these animals are called farmers. This type of work is called farming.

Land that is used to grow plants for food, or could be used to grow plants for food is called arable land. A life raising animals for food is called a pastoral life.

Many farms are very large and can cause damage. in some places farms are many and small. There are many types of farming.

Some people farm to eat the food they produce (subsistence agriculture). Other farms, including large ones, sell their products to many people far away in urban areas (industrial farming). Most subsistence farms are in poorer countries, while industrial farms are in richer countries.

Names of Farms

A farm that produces fruits or nuts is called an orchard.
A farm that produces grapes is called a vineyard.
A farm that raises and trains horses is called a stable.
A farm that produces milk and dairy products is called a dairy farm.
If the animals are raised for meat it is a ranch.
A large farm that produces non-essential crops like tobacco, coffee, cotton or sugarcane is called a plantation.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I wonder if papa Mulroney helped pay for her tuition with some of those briefcases full of cash he found lying around on his way out of office.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dallan Invictus posted:

edit: I agree that getting bought means they might actually be a viable competitor, but in the sense that having actual money behind them that is willing to invest means they might actually be able to solve their actual problem: by building sufficient infrastructure and buying sufficient spectrum to not provide awful service even in downtown Toronto/Vancouver that (not enough) people only barely tolerate because it's cheap.

Wind and Mobilicity were fine in Toronto.

I don't know why anyone would be optimistic about Shaw ownership. Shaw already "competes" with Rogers for cable TV and internet in a good chunk of the country and it doesn't seem to have helped competitiveness all that much. On the other hand, real competition from provincial providers like MT and SaskTel seems to make a huge difference.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

I like these posts.

The solution to competition from workers in a state that allows literal slavery isn't to force your own workers to be slaves, it's to subsidize your corporations to negate the disparity and yell at the leader of Slaveland for treating his own people badly.

You mean slapping tariffs on imports from Slaveland, right?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like how Hal is so in touch with this thread that when he needs to think of liberal Trudeau apologists all he can come up with is CI and THC.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

El Scotch posted:

CI is the voice inside all Canadians that we're too polite to say.

If most of you feel that way then maybe he's right that you're all worthless shits. Oh, Merry Christmas you sociopaths.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DynamicSloth posted:

A vote for the party that comes in second place in a riding does not count any more under a ranked ballot than it does under FPTP. They'll still elect zero members of parliament and get tossed in the same recycling bin.

All votes are counted even under FPTP. But ignoring that pedantry, let's not forget that there are proportional ranked ballot systems (STV) and non-proportional ones (IRV).

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 31, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

If we're going to have a referendum then the status quo should be an option, but it should not be presented as a "Do we change to X system Yes/No" type question. Voters should be asked to choose from several options, FPTP included, with descriptions of the system next to each choice.

It would be ironic to have a FPTP referendum like that with multiple options but only one vote each.

Now let's say there's a fair, non-rigged referendum with multiple options - FPTP, IRV, STV and MMP at the least, which covers a reasonable spectrum of two proportional systems, two non-proportional, and two varieties of ranked ballots. You can vote for as many options as you want. What if none of them have majority support? What if *all* of them get over 50% approval? Would you choose the most popular option?

Honestly, the only vaguely objective measure of the suitability of an electoral system is proportionality. I don't know how one could possibly argue that proportionality is not fair.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

They the ones pushing people out of helicopters? I mix up all my criminal canadian mining companies up.

I think they just do the boring old expropriating the land of poors, dumping toxic sludge into their waterways, hiring them at pitiful wages if at all, recruiting mercenaries to beat/maim/kill anyone who utters a peep of protest and bribing local police/courts kind of thing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

In comparison to Toronto it feels a lot more poo poo gets done in Vancouver. I wonder if having an at large system and municipal political parties instead of a ward system and individual councillors is the reason. If you get a big majority as Vision has, you can push an agenda through effectively.

This has a lot more to do with Toronto's city council governing a ~5x large area and population than anything else.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Helsing posted:

Someone who takes social justice seriously has an obligation to actually consider criticisms of liberal shibboleths like multiculturalism, because quite often those policies are just a superficial gloss put over whatever policies will provide the great benefit to our corporate and political rulers.

What are the policies of great benefit to our corporate masters that multiculturalism is a superficial gloss over?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Helsing posted:

Multiculturalism, healthcare and our history of "peace keeping missions" are all used by the government and by plenty of self congratulatory citizens as evidence that we're the most benign, progressive, tolerant and forward looking country in the world. Oh sure we've got our flaws, we're not perfect no sir but you know we aren't very racist, not like those Americans with their Donald Trump, and thanks to Trudeau we're welcoming refugees again, we don't interfere in other countries' business too much and we do at least try a bit to alleviate the suffering of the unfortunate.

Meanwhile there are communities in Canada living in third world conditions, our mining companies are among the most odious international companies raping the third world, our supposedly generous social safety net is full of holes, the current generation of Canadian political leadership has oscillated between manifest incompetence and petty corruption, and our entire economy is tottering on the edge of a cliff. Canada's rosy self conception of itself as a flawed but basically benign progressive bastion makes it hard for a lot of people to understand this.

Ok, but this isn't really what you said originally. I don't think it's convincing to suggest that leftists need to consider criticisms of multiculturalism because it can be used as a red herring to distract from other problems in our society. I can't really recall it being used that way directly anyways. Has anyone seriously argued that it's okay for first nations to live in squalor, for Canadian mining companies to hire mercenaries to murder third-world villagers, to build prisons in Gaddhafi-era Libya or sell APCs to a head-chopping funfest like Saudi Arabia, all because Toronto is a global melting pot? Even if that were happening on a regular basis, it's pretty weird to oppose a policy (or policy goal, if you view it that way) just because its success might lead to fallacious support of completely different policies.

If you just mean that multiculturalism should be viewed critically in the way that any other policy (goal) is, then sure, but it didn't sound like that's what you were saying.

Helsing posted:

Also, getting more abstract, there's a general tendency for countries with less cultural homogeneity to have weaker social safety nets. There are complicated debates behind why that's the case but part of it may be that countries with less cohesive cultures are less well equipped to mobilize against the demands of big business.

None of which is to say that multiculturalism is a totally bad thing or that we should all sing God save the Queen and celebrate our European heritage. The idea of an inclusive society obviously has its merits and Canada benefits immensely from cultural diversity.

I would probably go with correlation != causation for the first point, assuming it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

jm20 posted:

If we're talking incredibly stupid decisions don't forget cancelling Eglington West https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eglinton_West_line

The Eglinton LRT is fine. In fact, John Tory's SmartTrack (TM) plan would necessitate tunneling along Eglinton West and Tory just admitted that this would be outrageously expensive. So guess what, we're also going back to the Transit City plan of extending the LRT. Good job, anyone who voted for this useless old money suit for his half-bakrd transit fantasy.