Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Cultural Imperial posted:

The cf and the mounties are literally the most beta low t hairdressers afforded the privilege of carrying guns in the g7

What about Canada Border Services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Also, it was a $10M repair job 10 years ago. It's gonna be way more now, but fuckit. The place needs it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ahahaha IT BEGINS

quote:

Leave 24 Sussex to reality TV

William Watson
Published on: October 26, 2015 | Last Updated: October 26, 2015 6:02 PM EDT

Do you suppose the party leaders would have run quite so hard over 78 days if they’d known, as several media outlets reported last week, that 24 Sussex is a drafty dump needing $10 million in repairs?

First question: How in the world do you spend $10 million repairing a house, even a big house like 24 Sussex? Middle-class Canadians — the election’s heroes — might think of spending $10,000 to re-do a bathroom, maybe $50,000 for a kitchen, all the while crossing their fingers and hoping there are no surprises. But $10 million. For $10 million you’d think they could tear the thing down and re-build an exact replica, but with modern insulation, heating, helicopter pad and all-season backyard rink.

If Harper had won last week, he’d at least have had his promised Home Renovation Tax Credit to help out, though only on the first $5,000. The other $9.995 million would have had to come from somewhere else.

Justin Trudeau is playing with a fuller policy deck, of course. He’s promised billions of new dollars of infrastructure spending, starting right away, with some large chunk earmarked for social housing. What housing could be more social than 24 Sussex? Of course, if, senator-style, he did divert $10 million to what might look like personal use, that would raise eyebrows and ire, even if it did “kickstart” the top-end Ottawa decorator market. (Why do all left-leaning leaders want to kickstart the economy? In most things they’re very non-violent. They want to stop kicking ISIL. But the economy they would kick. Do they really think an economy responds well to kicking?)

Time was when nobody would bother Treasury Board about 24 Sussex. When Justin Trudeau’s father wanted a swimming pool installed so he could clear his head by doing laps every day, the Liberal party’s rain-makers, or in this case chlorinated-water makers, solicited some major corporate donors and they quietly came up with Cash for Splash. Though it’s obviously in the public interest that any prime minister have a clear head, most Canadians didn’t think taxpayers should pay for a luxury like a pool, not until every middle-class family had one at least. (Do you think maybe that will be in the 2019 platform?)

You couldn’t have corporate guys write big cheques now, though. Too Nigel Wright.

But deep pockets aren’t needed anymore. Shallow pockets, but lots of them, can do the job. Why not crowd-source the $10 million online? Elections Canada says 6,930,136 people voted for Trudeau. If each gave just $1.44, that would cover it.

Crowd-funding would be change. But real change, and I owe this idea to my wife, would be a Habitat for the Prime Minister house-building bee. Like lots of middle class Canadians, we watch (Mike) Holmes on Homes and Leave it to Brian (Baeumier) and Sarah (Richardson)’s House and any number of other shows on HGTV. Why don’t they take on the challenge of 24 Sussex? They could make whole new seasons out of it. True, they’d have to suppress the Canadian bits, as they always do, in hopes of improving U.S. distribution. They needn’t even mention that 24 Sussex is where our president lives. They could just say they’re getting a big old house ready for early occupation by an upwardly mobile young family in the social relations business. Let Americans puzzle over whether it’s in Omaha or Cleveland. Canadians would know.

It would be great. We could follow along through the season. Imagine Mike Holmes in his coveralls ruefully blasting whoever did the shoddy last reno, around 1923. We could vote interactively in real time on the structural and design choices. The job would be done in six weeks, tops: these guys work with dozens of helpers and sub-contractors who are always available at the drop of a cell phone. And of course they’d do it for free.

Or not quite free. If you watch these shows right to the final credits, you know they all benefit from government film and video tax credits. But that would still be cheaper than leaving it to the National Capital Commission.

When it’s done the new prime minister could invite all the new Syrian-Canadians to the reveal.

William Watson teaches economics at McGill University.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Craig Scott is pretty salty over losing, isn't he?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Kafka Esq. posted:

He was the shadow cabinet minister of democratic reform, and he would know.

Disclaimer: I worked in his constituency office for a few years.

I don't care what he was shadow minister for*, how does he know that after repeatedly promising - both before and after the election - that this would be the last Canadian Federal election under FPTP that the government won't honour its promise?

Also, his concession Facebook post was super salty, and it sure doesn't look like he's over it yet.

*Unless he's, like, the Shadow Minister, and he protects Canada from magical threats

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Brannock posted:

This is a new thread.

https://youtu.be/Uhu5V8VRxFU?t=12s

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
The Citizen is reporting McKenna as Environment Minister?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

sbaldrick posted:

There is a pretty serious rumour floating around the media world that the Sun chain outside of Toronto is done shortly and will be folded into the other Postmedia papers.
I hope the Citizen gets the Sun entertainment writers and NOTHING. ELSE.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

bunnyofdoom posted:

How about the sports people.

We've fired Ken Warren and replaced him with BRUCE GARRIOCH

*JohnnyCanuck's hanged body swings limply in the breeze*

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ezra Levant was on my local alt rock station's morning zoo today, pretending to give a poo poo about:

A) The environment
B) Montréal

He also said "poo poo" live on the radio no fewer than 6 times - just after 8AM. I wonder who's going to eat the CRTC fine, the station or Ezra himself?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

THC posted:

Liberals no longer promising to reopen Veterans Affairs office in Sydney.

Liberals waffling on the overseas mission.

Liberals say the cupboard is bare, we can't afford all the infrastructure spending they promised.

Who is surprised?

Jordan7hm posted:

Herh said they would be reopening those offices but maybe putting them in different locations.

Links to your other two claims please.

THC could you source your claims like you were asked to do yesterday, please.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

cowofwar posted:

Beau's is poo poo

So you and me have to fight now

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ban Sony.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

ocrumsprug posted:

I generally take your word for it on matters of Ontario politics

Why? Ikantski is an OPC booster who's whole shtick is painting both the ONDP and the OLP in the worst possible light. He's been going off like this since the Ontario election.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Arivia posted:

Hey, it's 2015 and we're still forcibly sterilizing Indigenous women. Go Canada!

Holy poo poo, this loving country. Fire EVERYONE.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Burger place near me does exotic meat burgers. The kangaroo was very dry and a bit gamey.

Also, ask me sometime about my alligator story.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'd rather get the headphones than a cookie cutter. Bonus if they're earmuff headphones.

Also I'm totally on board for another try at mincome! Not everybody it a sadbrain who prefers watching paint dry to actually doing things.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ugh bunny (and whoever in thread works for the NDP) you probably got one of my uncle's emails today. He copied me on it because ???

quote:

SUBJECT: Total Scumbags
TO: Justin Trudeau, Thomas Mulcair, Kathleen Wynn
BCC: JohnnyCanuck

BODY:

I as a senior citizen am totally disgusted at the way you treat us Canadian Senior Citizens. You, Mulcair and Wynn, three 2 bit politicians will do anything to attempt to make yourselves, look good at the expense of the Canadian Taxpayer. CTV reported the following:

Not fair is an understatement. Wow… This article was on CTV news last night. We copied it to send out.

First let me remind you of what you stated day after day week after week and month after month during the recent election campaign. You all stated that Prime Minister Stephen Harper was running an 8 billion dollar deficit and was lying to Canadians about the size of the deficit and how poorly Prime Minister Stephen Harper had managed the economy. Then you JUSTIN TRUDEAU PROMPTLY ANNOUNCE IN THE LATTER PART OF THE ELECTION THAT YOU WOULD RUN A DEFICIT OF $10 BILLION DOLLARS IN EACH OF YOUR 1ST 3 YEARS BUT BALANCE THE BOOKS IN THE 4 TH YEAR.

This as you know was a flagrant lie, supported by the other two disgusting lying politicians MULCAIR AND WYNN. TOTALLY DISGUSTING.

Well in less than 45 days since taking power the DEFICIT is now projected to be in the neighbourhood in the 1st year of $25 BILLION.

This is a total disgrace for which you three scammers should be totally ashamed and possibly be charged with illegally misleading all Canadian Citizens.

In your disgusting rush to make yourselves look good, you are bringing in people by the thousands that will no doubt be proven to contain some Islamic Terrorist, that will lead to the unfortunate deaths of some Canadian Citizens and the destruction of various Canadian property.

In the CTV report, I doubt that any amounts have been included for such things as: Hotel Accommodation, Meal Allowances, Local Transportation, clothing allowance, cell phone allowances, future accommodation costs, medical and dental costs, etc. etc.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper also clearly stated that his government was willing to take in Syrian Immigrants but only after they had been properly checked out or vetted. You Justin Trudeau in your rush to make yourself look great have opened the flood gates to radical islamic terrorists that will join the other Syrian immigrant group with counterfeit Syrian Passports.

In the meantime you will be paying each and every immigrant legitimate or not in access of $4,000 dollars per month which includes some of the additional costs that CTV failed to mention.

It is extremely obvious that in order to make yourselves look good you have rushed into this without any level of good financial or moral accounting as well as detailed background checks. It makes me nauseous to recall the terrible things you said about Prime Minister Stephen Harper repeatedly over the past three years.

I think back to your qualification Justin Trudeau and let me remind you, you have a degree in acting, you have been a part time acting teacher, and you were appointed to be in charge of the Katimavic Youth Program by a good friend of your father, Senator Hebert, only because you were the son of another disastrous Prime Minister, your father Pierre Trudeau. That was it your total qualifications for Prime Minister of Canada, what a terrible joke. Oh I forgot to mention that you had the total support of CBC, CTV and all of the other left wing media.

I only hope that at some time you will be held accountable for your actions and your total disregard for misuse of Canadian Tax Dollars which by the way are my and every other citizens tax dollars not yours to spend with total disregard.

You Justin Trudeau have mirrored everything that Barak Obama, another political disaster, has done during his 2 terms of office, even to the extreme of using selfies to promote yourself over and over again. It is obvious that you have no conscience or regard or respect for managing the Canadian Government or the efficient spending of our hard earned tax dollars.

Finally, I have to wonder If you, Mulcair and Wynn are so concerned about the Syrians why have you not opened your homes and dinner tables to them. Especially you Justin with 2 official residences, at our expense, 24 Sussex and the great Canadian Summer Home you are occupying because you feel 24 Sussex is inadequate for you your wife and children.

Shame, shame, shame!!!!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Merry Christmas, CanPol! I hope you all get what you wanted.

...Drunk. I hope you all get drunk

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
He has liposarcoma of the bladder.

Fatcancer of the pissoir.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
NDP leader Tom Mulcair last month disclosed that he is carrying mortgages on four separate properties, including a “secondary residence” in Quebec City, but has been living out of a suitcase when in Ottawa.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Falstaff posted:

To be fair, he did try to give natives the vote.
And women!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ian Capstick was on my local commercial radio station this morning speaking for "The NDP", and he hated the budget because while he's - he actually said this - "socially liberal, [he's] actually a fiscal conservative." He believes that most Canadians most pressing need is knowing when we can get back to a surplus status.

Holy poo poo, Capstick.

(Tim Powers represented the Conservative POV [because there's only two sides/parties in Canadian politics, right?] and "totally agreed".)

gently caress "pundits".

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 23, 2016

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

flakeloaf posted:

The student union at Carleton voted to stop supporting cystic fibrosis charities because that's a disease of white men.

That's the one that made me start denying I'd ever attended classes there.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

To be fair: that is Smiths Falls.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

PT6A posted:

Inferior to Gogol Bordello's songs on the subject, so I can only give this 7/10 or so.

Propaghandi, however, is CanCon.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Please make fun of me, I only just netfiled my taxes today.

However, props to the CRA for making that so easy.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

PT6A posted:

Also, Quebec is busy figuring out new and inventive ways to embarrass themselves and make their province a little shittier: http://www.cbc.ca/1.3564089

Ahahahahahaha!

quote:

"Thanks to this change, every person, whether driving on a highway, on a sidewalk, in an industrial area or in a commercial parking lot, will know they are in Quebec, because they will see French on the signs,"

quote:

Under the new rules, businesses with a trademark name that is not in French would be required to add a French word, description or slogan to their outdoor signage.

[...]

The province says the changes would also require that the added French words be well lit at night.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dreylad posted:

panique! à le Costco

I want you to know how much I appreciated this.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dallan Invictus posted:

Jesus gently caress. This would seem to be a point at which all those offroading-capable vehicles might come in handy.

OMG take your truck offroad , what are you, nuts?

It has to be shiny.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Truckchat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIn0B-7m49c

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
They should raise property taxes more and hike fares less.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Blatchford hit a new low yesterday:

quote:

Christie Blatchford: Muhammad Ali faced the world with selflessness and bravery

I first saw Muhammad Ali, in the still-magnificent flesh and he was every bit as pretty as he thought, before his third fight at Yankee Stadium against Ken Norton.

It was Sept. 28, 1976, at the morning weigh-in, and Ali was in fine form, garrulous and funny. He called up to the stage actor Dustin Hoffman and asked him who he was picking in the fight. Then Ali cried, “I got the whole stage set. I got all the suckers set up. The whole world’s ready! This crowd came for a weigh-in; there are some fights that don’t get this many people.”

As ever, he spoke truth to power; there were plenty of those people in that room, spoiled rich men.

It was one of the first fights I covered, and I was still shocked by the sheer violence of the sport — the sweat bouncing off the fighters’ arms, the naked courage it must take to even get in the ring — and, though I knew nothing, I thought Norton won. So did a lot of others, smarter than me, but Ali won it by a unanimous decision, one that remains contentious.

Three decades later, a fellow who provides statistical data for bouts reviewed the data and found that Norton had landed more blows than Ali and at a higher rate. But the really astonishing number was that in 15 rounds, the two men exchanged 320 power punches. Jabs were extra.

The next time I saw him was in 1992.

I was on vacation in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and saw an ad in the local paper. Ali, by then almost a decade into his battle with Parkinson’s disease, was still making about 100 public appearances a year, every one of them for charity, this particular event for the Special Olympics.

He was at a store called Sports Mania, at a mall in nearby Murrells Inlet.

He had to be physically helped to the autograph table. Above him, an old fight of his was playing on TV monitors, that long left arm of his moving in and out of Sonny Liston’s space with frightening alacrity. In real life at the mall, his left hand was twitching and jerking on the table.

At one point, painstakingly signing away and shaking hands and handing out his “Introduction to Islam” pamphlets, Ali began drooling. A long stream of spittle fell from his lips as a man was pumping his hand and saying, “We love you, man. We love you.”

People who saw it turned away and wept.

But Ali was still in charge. He was, his special assistant Abuwi Madhi told me, still making all his own business decisions. His face might have appeared frozen — one of the cruellest symptoms of Parkinson’s is that it causes what doctors call flattening, or a lack of affect — but his mind was still sharp.

And his ears worked fine too, which meant that as surely as he felt the love and respect of the crowd, he would have heard the patronizing remarks and felt the pity.

It was one of the bravest and most defiant things I’ve seen, to expose himself so willingly to public scrutiny. Upon his death Friday night, the president and CEO of the American Parkinson Disease Association, Leslie Chambers, said as much in an interview with the New York Daily News.

“Selflessness and bravery, those are the two things he epitomized,” she said, and in determinedly staying in the public eye, “He brought the average American’s attention to this disease. We’re so grateful for him.”

The last time I saw Ali was at a great remove, along with a huge crowd at the opening ceremonies of the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and millions of TV viewers.

Ali was the big secret, the man who had the honour of lighting the Olympic cauldron. Reports say that the crowd roared as Ali, his whole body trembling, managed to light the wire that took the flame to the cauldron. I don’t remember that. What I remember is everyone weeping, or maybe it was just me.

What a man he was.

Born in the Jim Crow city of Louisville, Kentucky — at a time when whites and blacks lived separate and entirely unequal lives in what The New Yorker writer (and author of a book on Ali) David Remnick called in a beautiful remembrance “the racial arrangements” of the day — he won a gold medal at the 1960 Rome Olympics, then, four years later, shucked what he called his “slave name” and embraced the Nation of Islam.

Three years after that, he refused the Vietnam War draft, famously saying, this quote from a Jon Schuppe piece for NBC News Saturday, “My conscience won’t let me go shoot my brother, or some darker people, some poor, hungry people in the mud, for big powerful America, and shoot them for what? They never called me friend of the family. They never lynched me. They didn’t put no dogs on me.”

For that insolence, in April of 1967, he was stripped of his heavyweight title by the World Boxing Association and the New York Athletic Commission. Two months later, he was convicted by an all-white jury of violating the U.S. Selective Service laws, fined and sentenced to five years in jail. The U.S. Supreme Court later overturned the decision.

He was never remotely bowed or cowed.

It’s funny, but last week I was talking with a friend about the modern activist, the sort of person who defies law or convention or engages in civil disobedience, but is outraged and even wounded if asked to pay a price. Muhammad Ali seemed almost to expect to suffer for the stances he took (perhaps because he was black), he did almost every time (perhaps because he was black), and yet he took it all on anyway.

Years ago, Leon Gast made a beautiful documentary about the 1974 Ali-George Foreman fight in Zaire. It was called When We Were Kings. Ali was always one of those.

cblatchford@postmedia.com

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm reading it as her using Ali's death to get her digs in yet again. Maybe I'm not giving her the benefit of the doubt.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Guys I'm posting from the bottom of The Ottawa Sinkhole On Rideau™

I live in here now

This is my home

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

jm20 posted:

Was that by the McDonald's? It looks like it

Near but not right next to it.

Although I'm sure some new "customers" will crawl up out of it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Brockville is a terrible place.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Guys it's okay that nobody can afford to live in Vancouver that's just the magic of the free market isn't it wonderful???

quote:

Robert Fulford: No need to panic about rising real estate prices — it’s a sign of a healthy economy

Robert Fulford | June 17, 2016 12:46 PM ET

Once I saw a man cry real tears when talking about real estate. It was some years ago, early in the boom, and of course he was from Vancouver. It was at a dinner party in Toronto. The talk turned to houses and this fellow saw a chance to air his grievance. “You know what’s happening, don’t you?” he said. “They’re pushing the prices up so high that soon I won’t be able to buy a house (gasp) in my home town, the city where (tears) I grew up.” He fell silent, overcome by the sheer awfulness of it all.

He was ahead of his time, but these days much of Canada has caught up. When he used “they” he of course meant the rich Chinese who (according to popular belief) have bid up real-estate prices to unprecedented levels. There was more than a trace of anti-Chinese prejudice behind his words. He spoke of his home town, as if that gave him a special right to live there and a reason why everyone else should be less welcome. It was so unfair! And he wrapped his resentment in an impassioned nobody-knows-the-trouble-I’ve-seen tone. Clearly, he had turned real-estate costs into a personal matter.

Something about this subject muddles Canadians, or at least a lot of us. In print or in conversation, we see the rise in real estate as an affront to our values. We are good, solid people, in our own eyes. Perhaps all those long numbers are just too strange for us.

Competition naturally inflates prices, as it alway has. For various reasons there are more buyers than sellers in prosperous cities. Chinese house buyers, fearful of instability in China, look on Vancouver as a safe place to invest. They are not doing something underhanded when they invest in Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna. In fact, they (and other foreigners) are embracing the Canadian government’s business-immigrant program on precisely the terms it was offered and for precisely the reason it was designed: to stimulate the Canadian economy.

Others might see a welcome infusion of cash from across the Pacific as a benefit, a return on the money we send China for our T-shirts. Certainly many sellers of houses are generously enriched. But a resentful attitude seems to me a form of hysteria that arises from changes in the population.

A favourite theme in conversation is the craziness of it all, the sheer insanity of paying $2.5-million for a house that wouldn’t bring more than a quarter of that a decade ago. But how can it be crazy? Buyers can pay those prices, sellers are happy. A sane response might be satisfaction: if prices go up, it suggests that there’s some health in the economy. But Canadians greet this news as something close to a tragedy. The other day The Globe and Mail called it “the affordability crisis.” There’s a growing opinion that something is wrong and needs fixing, by the government.

The Tyee, an on-line Vancouver news outlet with generally liberal views, ran a piece headed: “Serious About Housing Costs? Ban Foreign Home Sales for Six Months.” The author, Bill Tieleman, a former NDP strategist, wrote that “A six-month ban would give us time to start finding longer term solutions and send a signal to the world that Metro Vancouver is not for sale to the highest bidder as a blue chip investment.”

He insisted that “People with no commitment to B.C. have no business buying residential property purely for speculation.” That’s a federal matter and would require a long wrangle in Ottawa, especially when someone remembers that this wasn’t mentioned when Canada was soliciting wealthy foreigners. And as Justin Trudeau said in December, “We have to be very, very cautious about restricting foreign investment in our country.”

The Vancouver mayor, Gregor Robertson, announced this week his latest creative plan: he will tax people who own empty houses. He claims there are 10,000 houses in Vancouver with no one living in them, presumably because the owners treat them as assets and want them instantly available. That disturbs the mayor, who thinks they should be rented. No one, even the mayor, knows what tax will be. How high would such a penalty have to go in order to persuade owners to rent their houses? And it’s hard to say whether the tax would prove legal if it were challenged in court.

Still, politicians confronting angry voters must be seen to be doing something, even something that the future will consider cockeyed.

National Post

robert.fulford@utoronto.ca

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Did the RCMP also provide them drugs? I seem to remember that part...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
They arrested the London hijab-puller.