Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This thread is 12 hours old and already terrible and you should all feel ashamed. :colbert:

Also Im getting my "I told you so!" out of the way now so I can quote it over the next 4 years when JT turns out to be no different than the OLP and starts doing stupid poo poo and selling everything off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baudin posted:

How about instead of talking about what kind of furry we're the most attracted to we start talking about the new local MPs we just received from the glorious voting apparatus known as First Past the Post!

I'll start with a lovely young man (only 27 so not nearly old enough to be overburdened with knowledge of the ups and downs of life), a man that got the extremely important backing of a pro-life group. A fellow that had the unfortunate experience of having scandalous attack ads launched against him by his liberal opponent (which were memorable for having only things he posted about himself on his website as the "attack ad" facts). Yes let's give it up for Garnett Genuis, the new MP for Sherwood Park-Fort Saskatchewan. I get to deal with that for 4 more loving years.

I (and I think 2 other posters here) ended up with this wingnut who only 5 short years ago literally cheated his way into the Conservative party because they didnt want him to begin with. At least he only won by like 200 votes so Barrie-Innisfil might finally be considered a swing riding instead of a conservative safe haven.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Because dissenting views help avoid discussing the merits of, and ideal method for jerking each other off.

I think his opinion of this legislation is at least misguided, but having to articulate why is important to forming a cogent opinion on the subject.

Opinions are fine as long as youre willing to debate them. Swagger is not open to debating anything, he shits out his god awful opinions on everything without any facts or reasoning and when confronted about it disappears for weeks in hopes that the topic has moved on.

PT6A, ikantski and bunny are all examples of good posters even though I rarely agree with them because they are always open for discussion.

Also ikantski, yes I would legitimately rather have Rod "Car Salesman" Jackson than a guy that literally worships Thatcher, Regan and Mulroney.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yes.

Yes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/27/judicial-recount-ordered-in-barrie-ont-riding-after-narrow-election-win_n_8398906.html :getin:

I know they have to do it by law if the vote is super duper close just to make sure but whatever I hope it results in Nuttall being sent packing

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Dark One posted:

I didn't allow myself hope that he'd lose during the entire election. Could it actually happen? :ohdear:

Well its not like he hasnt cheated in previous votes before so...

I wouldnt expect a reversal, but its not going to stop me from hoping for the better result. :pray:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

P.d0t posted:

A thousand times, this.

Oil royalties should basically just go to the Heritage Fund, and every other form of tax should pay for operational stuff.
Now is the time to unfuck the system, because oil probably isn't going any lower, and if it somehow does, that's not actually going to make it any worse for Albertans.

Albertans would literally form mobs in the street complete with pitchforks and torches if they just went straight to that. I dont think you understand how thin the wire is that the ANDP is trying to walk along. Dont forget, they want to remain in power after this is well so as horrible as it is, its probably just better to ease the province into it instead of going full Denmark.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

P.d0t posted:

Yeah that could happen :rolleyes:

:qq:

I think youre mistaken in what I agree with. Im all for it but I dont have much faith in the people of that province to understand why it would actually benefit them in the long run. The ANDP has to decide between forcing the right thing on the province and being hated forever because of it (like the ONDP did under Bob Rae) or trying to sneak in helpful legislation over a longer period and hoping it doesnt backfire.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

taxes on alcohol and smokes are loving stupid unless you tax sugar/fast food/whatever as well

i got to pay more for beer but the 400 lb guy in my office who has a hundred health problems can buy his 99 cent menu every day

They do here in Ontario.

efb

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

I hope every disaffected NDP voter votes communist because then I have very little to worry about with regard to either of them becoming a viable political force.

Until we get MMP and then the flood gates release. :unsmigghh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Me, possibly. I've already had a good profanity-laden rant at the ANDP's duplicity, just after I started to trust them, and now I'm nervous that JT might try to pull some of the same poo poo.

Im going to hold you to this FYI.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

If voting reform ends up being put to a referendum the CPC will run a year worth of the most blatant race baiting fear mongering ads Canada has ever seen.

"Voting for election reform is a vote to encourage Natives to be lazier, blacks to be more thieving and Muslims to join ISIS. Do the right thing, do the white thing, keep first past the post."

So nothing different than their ads just this past election. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Slightly Toasted posted:

By most accounts the royals spend the majority of their time on philanthropy and charity work and their assets are shrinking in a world where they're less relevant than ever. I'm not sure I really understand the hostility. The Queen is a neat lady that's been in her position for an unprecedented length of time during which her influence has been mostly positive.

They didnt exactly come into all that money with luck and good work ethic...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Gorau posted:

I just can't understand the xenophobia that so many Canadians have, or the rabid fear of immigration. If anything immigration in Canada should be higher, perhaps double or more than what it is now. People look at immigrants and fear the fact that they are different and will 'steal their job' and automatically reject immigration without actually thinking about it.

What is each immigrant? Yes each immigrant is one more person looking for a job, but they are also one more person buying food in the grocery store, one more person buying clothes for themselves and their kids, one more person going out to see a movie. They are one more dwelling built, one more person paying taxes, and one more person contributing to building Canada. Each immigrant needs a job, but each immigrant also provides employment for other people and, despite what people rant about on Facebook, will contribute far more to the country then they will ever take out.

Canada needs population growth. Not just because native born Canadians have a low birth rate, but because economically it is better for Canadians to be part of a much more populous country than a smaller one. A higher population will allow greater competition in many sectors. It will allow more companies to reach efficient scale inside the country and compete, meaning lower prices. Hell, it might even mean we can have a true national fourth cell carrier. More than that, a larger population will allow better domestic capital markets, meaning less Canadian companies need to go find American shareholders and financial backers. As well, one of the biggest problems facing Canadian companies and entrepreneurs is the move from small/medium startup status to being a larger international player. They usually grow as large as the Canadian market can support and then get bought out by foreign firms because they are large enough to be a tempting target but too small to compete internationally and defend themselves. A larger domestic population will mean they have the chance to become larger before being forced to expand internationally, giving Canadian companies a better chance to compete abroad.

People worry about the fact that immigration and population growth will make their cities too crowded or housing too expensive. These could be problems, but they are largely engineering or regulatory problems. They are solvable. Canadians just need to decide if they want to be part of a small parochial population on the periphery of the United States, or if we want to be a large, vibrant population that can actually control our destiny.

Someone here once posted a few links to some cool studies done on immigration and almost all of them found that those countries benefit from it. Wish I had kept them, they would be handy right now with all these morons freaking out about it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Canada would be a much nicer country if there wasnt so much white trash

Up until the internet happened Canada was really good at hiding these morons away from the global stage. Only now does everyone realize how many pants on head stupid racist idiots actually inhabit the various regions of the country. :smith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Sorry, I was just going off the article that McFly linked, that said

I said before, I shouldn't have said that only progressives are in power. I should have said that conservative branded parties and, by extension the goofs that keep getting dragged here from facebook, have no voice at all right now. There's no minorities even that need PC party support. The ABC movement has won. The only way conservative people have any decision making power in Canada right now is to be in Saskatchewan or to brand themselves Liberals.

And yet they seem to be doing a drat fine job despite all that "lack of voice". The conservative mindset has forced every single party to the right of where they previously were and we all took the middle and moved it with them.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Why? Ikantski is an OPC booster who's whole shtick is painting both the ONDP and the OLP in the worst possible light. He's been going off like this since the Ontario election.

He is a coveted Job Creator small business owner and you shall not slander his righteous prophecy of Lord Brown of Barrie's coming.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 18, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The RCMP breaking the law to try and prove to the country that they still matter? Why I never!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

That first comment where the guy lists all his accolades is the most hilarious one to me for some reason.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I just don't see how someone can call someone an NDP whore and not make any kind of adjustment to their body language or speech pacing whatsoever.

Horde fits in completely with the sentence and his body language / speech pacing.

Kind of something for other people who speak in public to keep in mind though. Hoard is a bad word to use unless you enunciate the poo poo out of it.

Depends on his audience too. If he is addressing a typical Conservative audience (male, white, rich, racist, sexist, etc..) then his body language doesnt need to change.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So because it might offend some racist french students and they couldnt think of a way to soften the name they flat out killed it?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is it bad that the first thought that popped into my head is "What did the RCMP set up this time?" :smith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

A little. Means you are turning into rime. I just know I am gonna get emails blaming refugees for this.

That is kind of what I meant but yeah, I dont want to be rime. :cry:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Police responded to a report of a break in near one of my old neighbour's house and while checking out the area they hopped the low fence into his very visible field of pot and tomatoes. They gave a quick search looking for anything the prowler might have dropped and left, no fucks given to the backyard pot plantation.

In BC I could see this happening. Here in Ontario it would be a whole different story.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

Lo and behold spurious arguments against a non existent war on drugs in Canada

But guys this is the most fascinating public policy issue of the millennia

It has potential to free up tons of resources (police, courts, jails, etc...) to be put to better use or just flat out save on costs. I dont understand why you hate it so much since it makes sense even to people like me who never plan on using it even if it is legalized.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ambrose Burnside posted:

minimum alcohol pricing n controlled distribution has a measurably-significant impact on alcoholism rates (and associated morbidity/mortality) as well as alcohol-related crime and represents a very effective public health measure that just happens to generate a ton of revenue for the government to boot
gently caress consumer choice, throwing that out the window in favour of "but i want cheaper beer at the corner store" is a catastrophically bad idea

Bbbbbut free market!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A you are the finest example of how this country still cant escape the 14th century regressive attitude we have towards mental illness and I seriously hope you never have to experience being on the receiving end of this bullshit you spew.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

It's ok to say that your favourite person broke a campaign promise and looks silly, it happens. Everyone and their dog knew that it was a bad promise.

He is still committing to the 25000. The only people that are going to be offended by this are the ones who were never happy with the idea in the first place. They came out and admitted their goals were clearly overambitious, I dont see much of an issue.

Im saying this as someone who still thinks the federal Libs are gonna Lib at some point and prove to be no different than Wynne/Clark, but this isnt one of those cases.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The Sun is the worst.

Water wet, sky blue, Rogers terrible.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So, just to clarify, this is in fact what I think it is? The Conservative Party basically gave the Liberals a broken care and are now trying to argue that the Liberals broke it, yes?

Republican Exit Strategy #1

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tom could pull it off if the NDP purges all the party higher ups that are calling the shots and setting the party line.

It could also rain gold from a rainbow making GBS threads unicorn over my house tomorrow.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

jm20 posted:

Granted they obviously wont tack very far to the left, so the downsides are ... :confused: Maybe hard to elect him given the current Trudeaumania.

We have 4 years of a Liberal majority. After the honeymoon, a couple dropped campaign promises, and some good old fashioned Libbing its possible for Trudeaumania to die with it. Then again, Canadians goldfish etc...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Then how do you respond to the fact that pharmacare was part of their platform? Does that sound like lovely worthless centrist pandering to you?

They offset their good ideas with equally bad ones that made it hard to believe it was anything more than leftist pandering. The big one for me is the fellatio of small business, who are becoming increasingly responsible for the declining state of workers rights and pay in this country.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have serious doubts that turning the NDP into a carbon copy of the Liberals will result in this magical resurgence and growth. If anything it would make the NDP even more irrelevant than they were as the "conscience of government" as the Libs have that political spectrum on lockdown.

e: It also makes them look no different than the Cons in terms of leaving behind your party ideals and say or do anything just for power.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tighclops posted:

Who can I vote for that is like Helsing? Nobody? gently caress.

Paul Dewar, Peggy Nash, Megan Leslie

Oh right. :smith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lassitude posted:

Sell Alberta to the US, tia.

No way. Sell Alberta to a country that would make them even more miserable, not happier.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eej posted:

I don't know how you can say that humans have had a net positive effect on the land but I'll bite and ask what exactly you mean by it.

He is being willfully dense and disregarding all the fun side effects that come from modern farming. The American midwest becoming a barren desert is a thing that is already happening because of climate change and extremely abusive farming practices.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Trudeau is going to stay in power for a decade just like Harper and at the end we will be in the same lovely spot we were at the end of Harper's reign but no one will care because he has nice hair and a tattoo and sometimes occasionally mentions poor people (though never promises them anything).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

actually all of them are and I have yet to see someone explain to me how a true functioning communist government would work that wasn't worse that what we have here at our current state.

We wouldnt know until we actually, you know, try it at least once. But no, instead every time an attempt is brought up to change how we would tackle a move to the left everyone thats rich and powerful gets up on their golden soapbox and proclaims that the death of capitalism would be the death of the world because theres no way we could live without them running everything. People have to be poor to appreciate what theyve got after all. :jerkbag:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

Mine doesn't vent outside :confused:

You uh, might want to get that fixed then since its a huge fire risk.

Please tell me your dryer and bathroom fans at least vent to outside.

e: Is this senate member leaving the Conservative caucus one of the good ones or bad ones?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

The wiring on the 220v plug looks original, but the stove backs on the inside of the house and as best as I can tell there's never been an exterior vent. I hate the sound of fans anyway so it's basically never turned on; we just don't cook smokey things and if someone screws up then we open a window.

Of course, this was the same house where the jackfuck imbecile homeowner installed a dryer vent using 4" plastic flex venting all the way to the exterior wall (no), run in-common with a bathroom fan (noooo) that didn't have a damper to stop it from blowing air towards the dryer (nooooooo) and the whole thing was packed with a giant lint wad a foot long that I honestly thought was a sweater someone had jammed in there (what in several fucks). I'm not entirely un-handy and I managed to unfuck it safely by drilling a second vent hole, but that was a job made easier by the fact that I had eye-level access on both sides. Hacking a wall in the side of our kitchen eight feet above grade into the intra-flooring space is something I'd be hiring The Guy to do.

Sounds like a job for Mike Holmes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chicken posted:

I realize there's not much precedence in Canada for provincial leaders moving directly into federal politics but what's the protocol? Do you have to step down from your provincial office to run for leadership of a party?

If so, I and the rest of BC fully endorse Christy Clark for the Conservative leadership.

Ontario nominates Wynne and Brown. No refunds allowed.