Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

jm20 posted:

We need quality jobs for every joe lumberjack and to end some of this bullshit part time forever business.

I think the long term trends are indicating that those days are behind us for good. Globalization, automation, inequality, population growth, etc. The whole perpetual race to the bottom combined with the assumption/mandate of continual growth of profits, year after year after year.

There just aren't going to be enough quality jobs to go around for every joe and jane to live comfortable and fulfilling lives off of.

Which is why we are going to need a basic income if we want to make our lovely dystopian future somewhat less lovely and dystopian.

I know what I'm talking about because I bought an egg McMuffin from a robot this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

flakeloaf posted:

Her: We're going to have meetings to talk about finding the way to a plan to go to the grocery store.
Him: Are we going to have eggs tomorrow or aren't we?
Her: One of the things I'm looking into will be evaluating the feasability of a test project to see if...

*3 years later*

The test project has indicated that there would in fact be a net benefit to going to the grocery store to buy eggs.

Unfortunately seeing as this is an election year we will not be able to proceed with the project at this time.

Should we be reelected, we will prioritize going to the store.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
So in all these heart wrenching articles where Albertan's are weeping about how the rest of Canada is turning their backs on them and now it's the governments turn to help them out... What help are they asking for exactly? Seeing a whole lot of "government should be helpinnnngggg" but nobody actually articulating what it is they want.

Like do these folks literally want the government to pay to maintain their overstretched standards of living until tar sands oil is profitable again and the jobs all come back?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

"why won't you let us build a pipeline through your backyards?! You communist bullies!"

:qq:

To be fair that's the one complaint I've seen clearly articulated but I'm not really getting how that would fix their economy. OK so the PM greenlights the pipeline tomorrow w/ no environmental assessments or restrictions at all, tosses in a few billion of subsidy money, and any protesters will be shot on sight. We can break ground next week.

You get a few thousand jobs for guys actually laying the pipe, but if the shits still not profitable to extract, what's the point of the pipe right now? I dig it's cheaper and more efficient then rail or road transport but there's no way that efficiency gets you back to even breaking even at current prices.

And once the initial construction jobs are done with the maintenance and ops only take a fraction of that amount of people to run.

infernal machines posted:

Maybe they want the Federal and Provincial governments to start buying Albertan oil at $80/barrel

Tochiazuma posted:

Maybe some sort of national energy program

Wait a minute... You guys might be onto something here. The government has made a commitment to fighting climate change, and also wants to stimulate the economy with infrastructure funding. We can kill two birds with one stone!

So here me out here... We pay to dig a giant concrete underground storage bunker, and the government buys the oil @ $80, and then we lock it away in the bunker. Lots of construction jobs, the oil patch is back online, and the oil stays in the ground instead of getting burned. Everyone wins!

Eagerly awaiting my Order of Canada for solving the crisis.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 16, 2016

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

CBC posted:

"CBC has heard from a number of Canadians concerned about our commenting space, the use of pseudonyms, and some audience submissions that violated our guidelines around hate speech, particularly with respect to the francophone community in New Brunswick,"

"Complete and utter racist bile on any article remotely to do with natives or muslims? Eh, par for the course. Offending french speakers in New Brunswick?!? THIS WILL NOT STAND!"

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

You work in IT, this is a fair description of what you do now.

That's not fair. The trinkets are fairly expensive and are provided to the workers by the company. :colbert:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Kafka Esq. posted:

poo poo, I forgot about that. He needs a loving power wedgie.

They only make him stronger.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

smoking rocks with the angels :angel:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Cultural Imperial posted:

Then stop voting.

I get that this is your thing, but what's your actual reasoning behind this? Like what benefit do you think that will achieve in the long term?

Even if we accept that all parties and politicians are garbage, choosing not to participate will never change that. It just entrenches the status quo further.

Why not vote for the lesser evil (or whatever appears to be the lesser evil at that time)?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm saying that it will impede the government's ability to claim that it's a democracy. If the government can't make that claim, and we value democracy (that's the real question here), then change will necessarily happen from without the system.

[citation needed]

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

sliderule posted:

If that's the case, consider me misinformed.

I would super recommend checking out the Canadian Finance thread in BFC if you want to get your adulting on and get a handle on all this stuff.

Tons of useful info there and people happy to help with "dumb" questions.

Go figure a poo poo-postin' comedy forum would be what helped me get my financial house in order, but hey! :v:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Frankly I'm amazed that hasn't happened already. Considering the barrier to a "prescription" is a 5 minute consultation with a naturopath over Skype, I'm surprised we don't have more newbies overdosing on edibles and showing up in the ER freaking out.

Pretty sure I've seen some studies based on the Netherlands that showed moving to a legal distribution model didn't do much to actually increase the % of people that consume it.

From what I hear most people saying, it's "sure will be nice to buy weed legally from a store instead of a sketchcase dealer" and not "I can't wait for it to be legal so I can try for the first time."

Anyone who wants to use it probably already does.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Gaia the Earth Mother has spoken.

vote green

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

Canadians would probably lap it up if Trudeau pulled a Putin and had CBC film him piloting a waterbomber over the flames.

I'm thinking a shot of him digging a firebreak, topless and gleaming with sweat, a look of cold determination in his eyes as he stares down the encroaching flames.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Beaverton's been on point lately.

http://www.thebeaverton.com/national/item/2655-tories-reinstated-mandatory-census-is-unfair-to-however-many-canadians-there-are posted:

Tories: ‘Reinstated mandatory census is unfair to however many Canadians there are’

OTTAWA - The Conservative party came out against the mandatory census again this week, saying that it creates undue stress and is totally irrelevant to all of the several million people currently living in Canada.

“It’s time the government started respecting Canadians,” said interim leader of the opposition, Rona Ambrose. “And they can start by not wasting hard-earned tax dollars on learning about Canadians.”

Canadians, says Ambrose, have a basic right to privacy, whether they are white, black or any of the other races that may exist. When the government crosses that line they enter the territory of a dictatorship.

“The government should not force you to provide private information,” said Ambrose, whose party had passed Bill C-51 giving CSIS those exact powers. “Canadians don’t want this… I assume. Kinda hard to tell without a large survey of some sort.”

According to the Conservative party, the census isn’t particularly helpful anyway. The data it provides can only be used for determining where federal aid programs should focus their work, helping the healthcare system determine hospital locations, providing basic demographic data to retailers looking to open new stores, and other cases where guessing would probably be just as effective.

“In the end, the census is just pointless busy work. Canadians don’t want to arrive at their… houses - yes, houses, I think that’s right - to find a thick envelope full of forms waiting on their doorstep. They want to be spending time with their dozen children and half a dog,” said Ambrose. “They just got back from a long day of work. Or whatever they do during the day. Maybe they pick flowers? Or swim? Do Canadians swim all day?”

Ambrose then excused herself to attend a benefit dinner for unemployed Egyptian-Canadians with red hair who are missing a finger, a demographic she says makes up 30% of Conservative voters.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Was lookin' pretty hairy earlier:

But it seems whatever that structure fire on the outskirts was is done now:

Probably not that huge a deal if other structures and equipment at the airport were lost I'd imagine. The runway will still be there after the fires pass and the military could take over radar / air traffic control for whatever emergency flights are needed for the time being.

Forest fires suck but they do make really pretty sunsets.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 5, 2016

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

Try to imagine what the thread's reaction would be to a massive earthquake tossing Vancouver into the sea.

That would probably kill a lot of people, so I'd imagine it would take an extra day or two for the sick burns to begin.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 5, 2016

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, this is "getting involved with the ndp.txt"

I've had some friends locally who got involved on both the federal and provincial level and it resulted in most of them becoming almost CI levels of hate towards the party and one guy going full Koolaid. He'll vocally support absolutely anything the ndp does and do the most insane mental gymnastics to excuse everything bad. I don't get people like that, do they honestly believe that hard, do they think they have to be "on point" all the time in full marketing mode 24/7 ? It's absolutely impossible to have any sort of political conversation with them because the answer is always just a regurgitation of what ever the latest ndp soundbite is and russian nationalist levels of intellectual dishonesty when defending the honour of their party.

fyi this is getting involved with any political party.txt

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

BallsFalls posted:

Turns out the Saudi National Guard (who we're selling LAVs to, and who also happen to be the successor organization to the Ikhwan) does exactly what they were meant to do, suppress internal dissent. Who would have thought?

But the Saudi's promised they wouldn't do that! :mad:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

What do you disagree with? We're selling arms to a poo poo government for no other reason than to make money. I'm not going to say we should continue with it,but as long as we do continue with it there's no reason to make it out as anything other than what it is.

If you're going to put profit above human rights, stop being an dishonest little oval office and come out and say as mich. At least then you'd only be degrading human rights, in place of doing the same and lying about it. The lying is what really pisses me off, because there's just no point to it.

I've got to agree with PT6A on this one actually. The government's weak rear end excuses and dancing around are insulting. I'd have a lot more respect for them if they came out and said "times are tough and we need to protect those jobs right now".

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

"Robocop" is a word-filter result for "social justice warrior", abbreviated.

Man I thought I was just getting behind on my hip youth slang.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

jm20 posted:

The Liberals on the committee were quick to accuse Godfrey of contradicting himself. Postmedia has been among the strongest critics of government spending on advertising, said Liberal MP Adam Vaughan.

"There have been no fiercer critics of subsidies to the media than the Toronto Sun and the National Post," Vaughan said of two of Postmedia's flagship papers. "How do you square your editorial position with your corporate position?"

:boom:

jm20 posted:

Godfrey responded by saying Postmedia columnists are given leeway to write articles that contradict their own company's positions on political and other issues.

Unless said articles happen to be endorsements for political parties.

Does take some gall to give the finger to the Liberals for the entire election campaign and then come back with hands outstretched later.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

To paraphrase one of the choice ones: "The 2015 election will be remembered as the election Paul Godfrey soaked postmedia in gasoline and set a match to it. All for a token amount of revenue."

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Still a bunch of pages back but I gotta say this is the funniest CanPol has been in awhile.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Femtosecond posted:

Gregor and Vision occupy an interesting place on the political spectrum. At a glance it seems like a fairly centrist, pro development party, but they really push the environmentalist angle harder than you'd think. Given that there's going to be a lot of infrastructure money floating around in the next few years, you'd think Gregor would be trying hard to play nice and stay on Trudeau's good side, but environmental stuff really seems to rile Vision up.

What's sort of weird about it is that it isn't even just the standard greenwashing stuff you'd imagine, they are actually spending a lot of effort and money on the "greenest city 2020" thing. Kind of surprised me.

Big picture, maybe it's all a bit meaningless while the majority of the rest of the world doesn't give a gently caress, but I do kind of like that they've taken a stand on a difficult goal and actually are trying to make it happen.

Not a fan of the constant handjobs/handouts for developers and NIMBYs, but we haven't in recent memory had a legitimate political contender who wouldn't do that as well. Strongest opposition last go was the NPA who basically ran on "everything exactly the same, but gently caress bikes and trees".

Give me a party who likes bikes and trees, but promises a crusade on SFH zoning, oh my would I be in.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
What the gently caress are you doing Tom?

How are the NDP this bad at politics? This is their whole job. They have been doing it for their whole careers. I don't loving get it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I don't even know why she's so upset about it. How many people get to say "yeah the PM elbowed me in the tit once". Like that would be my go to drinking story forever.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Franks Happy Place posted:

I will join a Vancouver goon meet, on the condition that CI do a dab with me in the spirit of chillaxing a bit.

The rest of you can have dabs too, of course. :tipshat:

I would also be down to meet some of you damaged individuals for some beers in real life.

Maybe just a puff for me and no dabs though, that stuff's yuuuge. :shobon:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

I know it's in poor taste for me to speculate on how a woman who got hit by a man could have played it better, but this is Something Awful so I'll do it anyway. Regardless of how she felt inside it likely would have been a much savvier play for Brousseau to make light of the incident, maybe make a joke about how she's a fighter and she can take it, and then perhaps a quip about Trudeau having anger issues or being petulant. The average person may think they sympathize with the weak but when they actually express their support it's almost always for the strong.

Fuckin' bingo.

Easy win, totally wasted.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
System appears to be working exactly as America intended?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Why's it ignorant? You'll notice I'm not actually criticizing aboriginal place names, but rather the half-assed and ridiculous sounding approximations thereof that the British used to name things.

Canada.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Yellow Ant posted:

Ban lift kits across all provinces and territories. Problem solved!

They really don't seem safe (to other drivers).

I like the giant metal bars you can put on the front of your suburban commuter truck so that when you run down a pedestrian or cyclist while texting you gently caress the poo poo out of them and don't even scratch the paint on your hood.

Those are cool and good.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Yessssss!

Crazy it will take till 2021 to get the tolls in place though. Distance based pricing I can see being trickier with a lot more technical and political hurdles, but just getting bridge tolls in place on every bridge at the very least seems pretty straightforward. It's not exactly newfangled tech.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Cultural Imperial posted:

You can stop rewatching the hunt for red October Lt cndr dallaire

This is a wrong opinion. :colbert:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Oh cool we apparently sell ad space on government websites now.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Arabian Jesus posted:

Nathan Cullen announced that he won't be running for the leadership. gently caress.

It's a huge bummer. He's one of those rare good politicians who are actually also good persons.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Furnaceface posted:

It goes without saying dont read the comments.

Lol the top rated one contained the line "Harper was right."

That's got a real nice ring to it... :godwin:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

brucio posted:

https://twitter.com/rasselin66/status/745041009944387584

Interesting that Brad Wall's gov't signed on to this

Man we just don't take pride in our official signed declarations anymore.

Someone banged that out in Word in 10 minutes.

Put some work into that poo poo jeez, at least make it a little cool looking.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

the VPD are awful in everyway so please don'tt disband the rcmp

Honestly every encounter I've had with them has always been pretty pleasant and professional, even when I was maybe not being such a model citizen at the time.

RCMP on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Bud we've been over this.