Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
FWIW , the path FC config tool shows for saves:
C:\Users\me\Saved Games\FALCOM\ED6
... doesn't seem to be what the game actually used ---- much like what CakeAttach had, my saves appeared to be in:
D:\Steam\userdata\<number>\251150\remote\fc
... And SC found it automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Decus posted:

Speaking of steam achievements I think the ones for the books in SC are bugged somehow. Think they activate based on number of total copies? So if you buy like 15 of ch2 of the gambler book you could probably activate that one. Not going to test it fully, but I only have ch1 and ch2 but steam says I have 3 after buying a second copy of ch2.

The hidden lighthouse sidequest in ch1 also had a bug. Think there were only meant to be 2 decisions, but one of them had a linebreak and made it seem like there were 3. I'm playing in widescreen if that effects textbox size and thus might trigger it. Luckily doesn't affect the right answer, but didn't test what happened if you selected the '3rd' choice.

Also just got bounty hunter, and I am at right in the beginning of chapter 8, with one monster quest left on the board. (And perhaps more in other guilds)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

You mean Mistwald in the pond where you met the black witch? I've been fishing there but no luck

I had more luck in that spot on the bridge on the road that's Southnof Estelle's home.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Supremezero posted:

This is true, but he's in Chapter 9. None of the bosses really have weaknesses at that point, and I don't think anything there at all is actually weak to fire. I think the big weakness was Earth? And he's got plenty of that.

Plus the hardest ones are all immune to debuffs :argh:

Clockdown does work on the toughest boss in the last chapter, IIRC, or at least some of the flunkies (the clones, that is --- part of why I am uncertain). I think most of my damage came from Kloe with single-target water spell that's usually 30 mp (and Cocytus for crowd control), with other casters using something like Abyss Fall for AOEs (and Estelle using blunt object to the face technique).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I ended up grinding up like 5 levels on shining poms, and then (with my raher speed-oriented build) it wasn't too bad except for the couple times l was a hair away from a party wipe, including when I thought I had it almost won...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Doomhammer posted:

The big white squid things in the last tunnel area have them, not sure if anything else does.

That's the one I used.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Using Kloe mainly for healing (except her special) is a mistake, IMHO: it wastes her excellent ATS stat, as healing amounts are fixed. I think Estelle may actually be the best choice for healing, since you can get it on her orbment while still focusing on physical damage and speed; so she can pretty much do both healing and solid but unspectacular secondary stick-in-face damage.

(Boy is chapter 7 hard if you're like me and lean heavily on Kloe-nuking, though...)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's quite possible to get to right before that boss at like level 86 or so, though. And, well, 6 levels do add up.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Bleh. I really want to get into SC but the "there are ten billion easily missable things" thing is kinda tiring and makes it hard to play casually. I'm pretty willing to give up on max BP at this point but is there anything otherwise I should keep an eye out for?

In one of the chapters you'll be traveling on foot around the country. There is a really fun optional/missable sidequest then at the Royal academy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Really Pants posted:

It's his uncle.

Brave is perfectly good on Laura, or Rean I suppose. Angel is the only starting master quartz that actually seemed bad to me.

Angel's auto-revive is a handy safety net sometimes, against those bosses who do nothing half the fight and then throw out something that can pretty much one shot your party.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

zane's problem is that he wants to be the tank to agate's barbarian but the problem is you're using kloe and olivier anyway because they basically make the game easy mode, and they can easily heal agate through his rage shenanigans, so zane's slow rear end doesn't serve much purpose

Zane is sort of nice for a stretch of a Schera path playthrough, since he balances out the Agate-less party, (for me it meant that there
was a lot less of Estelle face tanking at the point). Of course once Agate shows up/the paths join, he pretty much headed for the bench
except for his plot boss battles.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Supremezero posted:

How so?

E: Oh, down farther.

Uh. Is Xenoblade X really a traditional RPG?

I think they just had a "traditional" vs. action distinction.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

So I still don't get where that even comes from. Unless my memory is failing me completely, Zane is part of the "Taito" school, which should mean something like "Great Authority". Right here is a typo on top of a mistranslation, but I still don't know where "Calm Dip Flow" even comes from - I don't recall seeing, or Robin mentioning, anything remotely like it.

Clam dip flow.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Death Scream is great but most of the other top-tier arts in SC can be ignored, especially with Kloe.

I think I was using the 30EP water spell for lots and lots of single-target damage with her.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Slur posted:

Are you implying that Olivier is not good enough for Estelle but Anelace is? Surely you jest.

Olivier is clearly in Joshua's harem, not Estelle's.

I can't believe I just typed that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I admit a large part of it was probably the awful quest where you have to ride back and forth across the entire drat map to find out a guy's favorite color is green.

Yeah, it's a bad quest, but for a very good cause....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

someone translated another one of the Star Doors from 3rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-tGGAh1XKg

It's a good one, and pretty relevant to Cold Steel. They also go through the text super fast so prepare to read quickly

That's a lot of Olivier, and yeah, some unfortunately short subtitle timings.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Agate is better than Schera in every way.

Including the anime booty way.

He doesn't give Cassius a piece of his mind in the intro, making him worse than Schera in at least one way.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erg posted:

because Becky owns

And so does her dad!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

that translation is pretty stiff but it isn't drag it out into the daylights

Well, it doesn't have obvious grammatical mistakes of the sorts no native or fluent speaker would make. Actually, is the "daylights" person the same one who did the YT partial translation? That also seemed to have had considerable difficulty with unneeded plurals, if I recall correctly. Perhaps their native language is pretty different in how it deals with them? That can sometimes bleed through, as my English teachers would testify, having had to add missing articles every other sentence.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I sure hope there isn't some sort of Senran Kagura: Catholic game they may be interested in bringing over. ..

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's even more confusing is that there games sell better on PC overseas than they do on handheld. I wonder if Falcom will begin to move to an engine that is more multiplatform friendly so their games can release on multiple platform from the get go.

Ironically, supposedly the Cold Steel games --- the ones that aren't available on PC --- actually use PhyreEngine, which supports PC along with Sony's platforms...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

honestly the ps3 drops frames too

I actually shut down my ps3 on the final dungeon for a while since it got so bad I thought it may have overheated and hit some sort of hypothetical thermal throttling.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It also feels like stats quartz is less important in Cold Steel...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

watch the e3 trailer for CSII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sPDSH9QPx8

or don't, im just some guy

FWIW, ginormous spoilers for CSI.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wonderslug posted:

It feels less like wonder and more like denial to me, and you could certainly spin it that way in light of SC's opening, but if that was the intent I don't think it was well conveyed.

Well, there is a bit of a perception gap between "beloved national hero" and "goofball dad"....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

So, as it stands, XSeed can get the code for the PC version of Zero from Falcom with no issues, but in order to release Ao in the West, they need to use the Chinese PC port, which requires going through a second company and requires extensive coding to remove the DRM.

Well, or they can port it themselves, which may be manageable given games in earlier version of the engine have been ported already, and they have experience with their source base.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

XSEED is not a company with the resources to port things themselves.

That depends a lot on the state of the source base and how different it is between Zero/AO/3rd/SC/FC.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

we're getting the two sets of costume dlc in CSII so you can play the game as magical girl alisa and magical girl villain rean

That's a mean way of naming the Joshua outfit.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Shipping status from work: handed to local USPS for delivery... Not sure whether to expect it today or in a week.

Also your shipping tracking timeline isn't sorted right, Amazon

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

main girl ranking

1) jusis
2) crow
3) towa

Celine better be number 4. And have you seen that reunion with Machias yet?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, Fie's insanely good. It's pretty easy to get her up to 80-90% evasion relatively early.

And later there is no need to stop at that. And there is a quartz that makes evade counters always crit....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Oh duh, I totally blanked on doubling up on Evergreens. I think I'm trying to conserve my U-Materials too much.

I am a little sad that the upgraded weapons don't give Evade boosts like in CS1.

One of the silver(?) R-gems has a +5 evade.
And yeah, evergreens are amazing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Anyone here on the real final dungeon should talk to Alfin to get an extremely good scene that only reinforces Olivier as best character in the series.

How does one know which final dungeon is the real one?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Alard posted:

Well her reactions seemed genuine, but it's hard for me to trust anything someone says when said someone's title is The Azure Diva, so it could've still been part of the plan. But on the flip side, it's also possible she just didn't take anyone of the nobles even slightly seriously, or at least didn't take Cayenne seriously in any respect.

More finale ending CIA'ing
Well, to me it doesn't seem very wise to count on Cayenne not doing anything spectacularly dumb and dangerous. Competent threat he is not, but one of ignorance....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chickenfrogman posted:

How the gently caress do I win the fight against rean and altina because this seems actually impossible. They both have 200k health, can three shot my characters, and an S craft instantly kills my entire party. This is the first time a trails boss has actually pissed me off because this is some unfun loving bullshit.

Did you try the self-buff skill? That actually seems to make the character its on useful.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Really Pants posted:

It's Fie's Cooking Power Hour.

*whisking furiously*

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Is the game hanging on a black screen after the ending a common bug?

FWIW it stuck around there for a while for me, but then eventually moved on.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

I might have just been unlucky, but the hit that dropped him below his s-craft threshold was a double str buff s-craft and he survived with what looked like barely a pixel of health, and when Angel popped off his 'i win' button I tried using another s-craft on him but it seemed like it did much less damage than it should have. Maybe the game makes sure he always had one HP left?

Huh, whenever Angel proc'd on "this is an unwinnable battle" S-Craft from an unbeatable boss the boss just cast it a second time immediately on me. Maybe my Alisa was just too slow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erpy posted:

I'm now having an image in my head of General Morgan standing on top of his airship spinning his halbert around like a propellor.

Spinning seems too undignified for him. General Morgan would swat all the bullets away with a single strike, while sitting at an immaculateately polished desk.