Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

origin has the best boss design in the entire series imo

I kinda don't like how half the bosses feel phase-driven, like how how the giant has to have his arms worn down, *then* you can do damage to the actual HP bar, and sometimes the game just says "nope" and cuts you off like the final and final final for real boss. It makes everything feel longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey Falcom lovers, Ys: The One For Vita is on sale on the PS Store, also Trails of Cold Steel if you love the game enough to drop $20 for the version you don't have or still need to get in like me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

leather fedora posted:

How long does the sale last? I got a US Vita recently but I don't really have time to mess around with getting it set up and all.

Until next week, but Sony has no problem letting you buy games on their online store so you can just buy it now and download it after your Vita's set up.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/all-deals/cid=STORE-MSF77008-ALLDEALS

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Am I playing it wrong, or is Memories of Celceta not very good compared to Felghana and Origin? It just feels like you take damage way more easily by comparison.

I still haven't played it yet, but it's supposed to be like Ys 7, which is basically a really good ARPG compared to the Naphism/Oath/Origin pseudo-Zelda system. That said, at least in 7 you could dodge roll from most things and use the guard to no-sell literally everything.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

My main problem is that with the party system you need everyone alive to properly deal with all the enemy types, except since two of the party is AI controlled when you need to switch to say, Karna for airborne enemies she's almost guaranteed to be damaged or under some status effect, which forces you cart around a ton of healing items just to be able to deal with normal enemies. That or just staple a ton of life regen onto their armor using the crafting system, which just seems like a tacked on money-sink because of all this.

They must of screwed it up then, because the Ys 7 AI controlled dudes basically cheated to dodge everything possible and would only ever get hit by super screenwide attacks, so switching was never really a huge deal. That's a shame.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, that was a thing on 7, and it's a thing in ToCS, so it'd be weird for Ys 8 to not have it in some form.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started up Trails of Cold Steel. This game owns owns owns. I got spoiled on what I assume is a huge twist Rean gets a loving Gundam? but all these guys are really cool to hang out with and the writing is great and the voice direction is outstanding. I guess the only flaw is that money feels hard to come by and some fights feel like a Ys game in that being underleveled on Hard is a death sentence.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

if you're low on money, sell quartz and sepith you don't have any use for. that stuff is in way higher supply than money

I've been selling the blank sepith the game obviously wants you to sell, but since everyone's orbments aren't unlocked I'm hesitant on doing the other ones. I should probably abandon my JRPG packrat mentality of "I MIGHT need this someday" for unneeded quartz though.

Cake Attack posted:

it's not really much of a spoiler. like it happens late in the game but also something that pretty much every and all promotional stuff gives away.

Yeah I think I got spoiled by looking at the CS2 page. Still would have been cool to come out of nowhere though since nothing besides the one landmark remotely indicates that that'd be a thing.

Really Pants posted:

As long as you aren't actively avoiding fights, it shouldn't be too hard to stay leveled thanks to XP scaling. The actual death sentence is not knowing in advance when a boss is going to resist physical attacks and lean heavily on one status ailment.

I kinda ended up avoiding ones in the chapter I just did (the Nord Plains) because lol at killing half the enemies there. It was mostly brutal because the fake jaegers/Obligatory Boss is a nasty combo when you're underleveled and underequipped.

And thanks for the help all. Am I wrong in thinking that modifying weapons is a waste until endgame for everyone but Rean.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I haven't been sweating it for a while now, but I'll probably just upgrade Reans weapons since he's like the third best at killing things and he's always there. I was just curious if they were gonna be a stupidly common drop soon since the cost for the next field study's gonna pretty absurd otherwise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Welp, guess it's time to make a shitton of omelets! And I just finished the first day of Chapter 4's field study. Did they really need to rapid fire barrage everyone's backstory at me? I knew Fie's was coming since the game didn't even bother being remotely subtle but still, lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really love playing longass stuff like Trails on a handheld so I can take frequent breaks, but it's pretty great news that this series has a place for more fans. Kinda wondering if the 5000 extra lines is just the Silent JRPG Protagonist Rean stuff though, but he does have the best VA though so even that's a nice deal.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

I am completely lukewarm on Towa in general and additionally that outfit looks dumb on her.

I am now prepared for your scathing rebuttals. :colbert:

What the gently caress?!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(TOCS1) Holy poo poo Crow, im loving dying right now "Optimal bounce vectors" "Show dem titties"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Crow has the proper priorities, almost.

Yeah, dude knows what's up. Lol that he keeps getting cockblocked by Angelina though, she must have absurd game to pull that off.

MythosDragon posted:

2025 Trails of Cold Steel Remake, every single NPC is fully voiced because Sean Chiplock just kept up on voicing their lines without being paid. The game is now 200 hours because of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sweet Jesus, how did you guys wait almost two years or some poo poo for Cold Steel 2 after that ending? :stare:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh yeah, that's better. Still, that ending was insane I was just expecting the festival to end and everyone to go "well things are getting ominous, but I bet we can handle it in the next game though! Everything from the end of the speech onward was some absurdly over the top poo poo, because I guess they had to outdo TITS 1! Great game though!

Also: Best Girl? (besides tiny senpai)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh,kinda surprised at the lack of Fie love, but I guess that barely counts since it's written as a platonic relationship if you go all in on bonding.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair the whole point of Elliot is that he's normal, the problem is that you have to wait until his hometown to get some insight into his character besides "he kinda likes music" unless you waste bonding points on him that could go towards your super cool teacher, tiny senpai, and the chill tiny ninja girl. I like him well enough, his whole deal about (spoilers I guess? There are probably some people who are waiting for the PC port and read the thread for other Falcom poo poo) being essentially forced to go to Thors as a halfassed compromise because it was the only thing closes to what he really wanted feels like a very real thing that could happen to anyone, which is kinda the point

I like all these dumb kids I guess!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So I just finished Chapter 2 of Cold Steel 2. Are all these stronger older people just with me until the end of the game or are they temp members that leave at some point? Feels weird having an Ouroboros enforcer just up and join, especially this one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, temp though you should still try to boost their bond levels. Though there will be a chance to use them again at some point. In addition, the one you hang out with the most (I can't recall if it requires a bond level of 3 or 4) will give you a pretty good item. Sharon's is probably the best/easiest to shoot for your first time.

Oh, that makes more sense. Was probably gonna go for troll maid bond events anyway over the other two, thanks.

Also, that whole "you haven't even seen my final form!" thing I've heard so much about is starting to rear it's ugly head, although it's probably better than a band of teenagers being able to stand on the same level as their teachers, after said teachers killed a bunch of tanks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Considering everything, thinking that CS3 will be self-contained seems rather optimistic. Crossbell in particular is going to feature heavily and we'll be seeing western Erebonia, which includes Parm and therefore the Liberlian border, AND Liberl is looking like biggest, juiciest target for Erebonia at the moment...

That said, we're not getting CS3 until at the very most optimistically earliest guess Winter 2018 so yeah take your time the series isn't going anywhere (but do buy the 3rd immediately when it comes out, thanks)

I sure as gently caress am, but I'm gonna miss bedgaming with CS3; I can't imagine dicking around campus for the umpteen little NPC subplots without the ability to put the game on hold whenever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mostly really want the part where I can just constantly take breaks while binging through a 60 hour game but still play every day after work for a little, and remote play is kinda spotty for that. At least mine...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh man, Hooded Man's reveal in TOCS2. :allears: i knew it was coming but it's still pretty great.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wait, I thought Impede always worked? Unless you guys are talking about something other than the arts canceling crafts like Autumn Leaf Cutter can do.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Cod Steel 2 spoilers lol at Vulcan's entire death scene being completely unvoiced by him. Must've driven the head localizer completely batshit. I know Falcom is a small company, but jeez

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

If nothing else that scene'll probably get voice acted in the PC port of 2, if they're adding more voice acting.

yeah, I remember reading in the thread that XSeed wanted to dub all of those oddly silent lines to begin with but the game was programmed around them not being voiced, which a PC port fixes. Makes me wonder if Falcom got some super prolific voice actors or whatever between that/Irina and Oddly Silent Rean that they couldn't afford to pay.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Without the chests, it's a pretty good final dungeon, cool that everyone gets to fight. But Castle of Illusions playing in the background as you read all those chest messages. Holy poo poo those A+ chest messages.

No, Brittany, thank YOU.

:unsmith:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

everyone saying goodbye at the end hosed me up. especially renne's. can't believe it's been over six years since i first played FC

anyway, time to move into a box and divert all my freed up money into lottery tickets so i can fund crossbell

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll port that poo poo again, like how TITS 1 got a full voice PS3 port.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Im very curious why people like Duvalie so much.

She's a cute/cool knight lady with a good voice and funny bit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Unless the company gets absorbed or shut down I kinda think it's a given considering CS3 is on PS4 and Trails 3rd was PC-only. Plus they're redubbing a chunk of CS1 and all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Fie's constant quips and deadpan voice acting make her pretty much the best Class VII student, imo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The idea of Cold Steel 3 is kind of weird gameplay-wise, like I'm at the final dungeon of 2 but Rean should just be clowning the entire campaign again with Flame Dragon and Super Ogre Arc Slash forever since the idea is that he's a teacher fighting with his students or whatever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

He's also emotionally unstable enough that he can't go It's All Ogre Now

Oh huh, really? Not that I care gameplay-wise, but I kinda took it for granted that he had his poo poo together-ish and that CS3 would mostly be a Sky 3 dealio.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Look's like Fie's got long hair now.

And more importantly, longer shorts. Also I'm pretty sure I spoiled a thing from CS2 from looking at that, but oh well!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Boy I sure hope we get to play at least one of the game these newcomers are from before cs3 is out in english!

Have Trails of Zero been ported yet, because I'm pretty sure we'll get that whenever it comes to PS4/PC as a two-pack.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'd be more a little annoyed. I mean, yeah it feels dumb when there's a giant loving mana tree and the characters are all like, "well that doesn't concern us, if you wanna know more, play Trails of Zero/Ao!", but even if Cold Steel's overarching plot poo poo becomes more interconnected with those games, it's still the game I'm gonna be playing for Rean Coldsteel and Friends and how they overcome the adversities the war creates for them.

Like, I'm pretty sure Blueblanc is a pretty big deal as a recurring character at this point but he's enjoyable with me only having played 3/4 of TITS 1 years ago. Same with Duvalie who might as well be waving a giant REMEMBER HOW I KICKED YOUR poo poo IN IN THE OTHER GAMES flag.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Duvalie was an extremely minor character in Ao, that was her sole appearance in the series before being a major character in CS2.

Also you should finish TitS and stop being a bad person.

TBH I just assumed she was a big deal because she actually got voice acting like the other characters that barely appear, like Olivier.

And I didn't willingly drop TITS, I hosed up my save data and didn't feel like replaying a game that looked like it was gonna end on a cliffhanger forever, but already have Tits 1/2 ready to go as soon as I finish my New Game+ all bonding Nightmare run of CS1. :shepicide:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Double posting but CS2 final dungeon spoilers: Laura's dad best dad :allears:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OddObserver posted:

That's not the final dungeon :ssh:
(Important to note since the game sometimes likes to freeze after it for like 10 minutes before moving on)

Yeah, now I'm with a police officer and his pop star ninja pal, had to take a break, but what the gently caress what the gently caress WHAT THE gently caress I knew Osborne was coming between here and the freaking game going "his body mysteriously disappeared" but everything else just how or why?

RIP Crow. You were a cool dude even if you were the hardest boss fight across both games. Time to play CS1 with max bonding and feel even worse about how poo poo went down, even if anything else would have felt unsatisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

I can't wait to sit in the teacher's office with Towa and complain abou my lovely students, just like in real life

That implies that tiny sensei knows how to say a single negative thing about people that don't commit literal war crimes.