Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

CrookedB posted:

Random question, but is there any easy way to extract the character portraits from the game's files? Or alternatively, is there a good collection of character portraits from TitS FC and/or SC somewhere on the internet?

This Japanese tool works: http://www.pokanchan.jp/dokuwiki/software/falcnvrt/start

For PC assets, drop the *.dat files into it and hit the leftmost button.
e: Portraits are in ED6_DT05.dat for FC and ED6_DT25.dat for SC. The SD portraits extract fine, but the tools seems to have issues with the HD ones, the colors come out wrong for those.

For PSP assets, it expects the full game ISO as input, not the individual files. If you have a PSP you can extract an ISO from your PSN download with a homebrew tool called "NP Decryptor".

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm sure more than just me bought the PSP version, maybe.

I also did! JRPGs are great for a long commute.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

VGP.ca shipped my order on the 17th, so I don't think this is on XSeed.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The Colonel posted:

that's okay, the music is the only real important part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM3Kf4L7gnY

I always disliked how the orchestrated OST versions of Battle Artist and Seeking Victory sounded compared to the in-game ones.

But either way, great soundtrack. My personal favorite is Chasing Shirley, with a shoutout to the fascinating use of distortion effects in Short Circuit.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That's Dave Wittenberg as Adol, isn't it? Somehow that's really funny to me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I dunno man, I was waiting for them to rock out (as they tend to) but it never happened! Disappointed.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

In Japan, yes. I want to say they're not localizing the PS3 version though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Unless you're saying they could port the PSP version, which case almost certainly not as I would be hugely surprised if Falcom kept the source code for a 10 year old game.

...I mean, they clearly kept the source code for the over ten year old TitS FC and TitS SC PC versions, so why wouldn't they have kept it?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So who do I have to thank for finally bringing back button-based selections that went seemingly extinct after Mario RPG? Persona 5?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

In Training posted:

Oh and 7 was the point where these games started having way too much story for my liking but I skip all that crap. But you can't skip cutscenes in Celceta easily, you have to button mash through the text boxes.

Can't you just hold the Cancel button to fast-forward scenes?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Whoa what holy poo poo. I thought this would never happen! Very excited about this.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Regardless of thread, The Last Story is a good game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Ys demo was fun but if the dialogue in it is indicative of the loc for the rest of the game then fuckin oof. Here I was thinking Persona 5 was gonna snatch worst loc of the year.

This doesn't surprise me but it's really unfortunate either way, especially since this Ys is supposed to actually have a plot worth caring about.

Oh well, Ys Seven is out on PC today so I'll just play that instead I guess.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The Colonel posted:

played 40 minutes of the ys seven pc port and it's pretty solid. i'm not sure they missed any areas it could be improved, and the little things like the higher framerate make a big difference. it's also better than playing the psp version with a 60fps hack cause i'm pretty sure they fixed the timing on rush when you're fighting bosses so you can actually cancel them out of it instead of the timer going too fast for it to be physically possible.

Can confirm, it runs perfectly at a smooth 60fps. Graphically you can tell it's a straight port of a PSP game, but whatever, game's still fun.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The PS3 has a screenshot feature! If you hit the PS Button to pop up the XMB and scroll over to Photo, you may or may not see an option to take a screenshot.

Almost no game supports this and the feature is extremely poorly documented, so I'm not surprised you haven't seen it before. Off the top of my head, the only other game that supports it is ToX2.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

Not to mention I used Laura's S-Craft to take half the chapter 5 boss health off in one hit

I remember one-shotting that boss on Hard so difficulty probably wouldn't help for that one in particular.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It's a ridiculously high number, actually. You want consistency for your localization, and less people are better at staying consistent.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That makes me happy. I have a real dumb grin on my face right now.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I assume the clear data is somewhere in here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/emkeme51hpjo3bd/ys-origin-saves.7z?dl=0

If you're on Steam this goes into c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\49142020\207350\remote\

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-kai-ps4-launches-march-8-japan

They're backporting the PC version of CS to PS4. Cute.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I mean, same result either way, right? Especially since we're still on PhyreEngine. I don't know, but they were clearly inspired by the XSeed PC changes which has all of those things.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Tae posted:

"We've downgraded everyone to handshakes except for Alisa, who you can now marry."

I mean, this but unironically? This is clearly what their intentions were from the start, so might as well have it in the story proper instead of being relegated to this weird side event thing that by its nature can't be significantly referenced in the plot.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I don't understand how any of this is profitable for them but hell yeah.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

^ Don't read this Stabbey. I don't think he's seen the ending yet.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

The lore page for the official Zwei Arges Adventure page is great.

http://visitarges.com/d.lore.php

The entire website is very good.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The first handful of fights drag a bit on Hard but yeah I definitely found it more enjoyable overall, if you engage with them at all the battle mechanics are so broken that the extra stats on enemies are appreciated to keep the game from being boring on the gameplay side.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I mean Fie is already sorta invincible in CS2 if you get her Evade to 100%, more on top of that is just for show really.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That seems like an odd thing to patch out, why would they do that?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Really Pants posted:

I can't handle Pokkle's puns

excellent

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Any verdict on the improvements yet?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

They fixed it in 3rd but I think it still does [enemies hit] times too much damage in SC.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yes, all of them. It's a completely new localization.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Just make sure every action is uniquely assigned to a button, that should be all there is to it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

BrightWing posted:

And Dark Matter's suction effect wouldn't work if I skipped it :v:.

There's actually a few minor bugs related to skipping animations, which were in the original PS3/Vita version as well. For example, the Sepith Up effect doesn't seem to work right if you skip animations, though I'm not 100% sure on the details.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Stexils posted:

(also i hated the post-infernal castle dungeon but tbf that might be because i havent had the opportunity to play the crossbell games)

As someone who hasn't played Crossbell yet either, I thought that was the best dungeon in the game, at least in terms of level and combat design. Great music too.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You can also try this early 1.3 executable: http://steamcommunity.com/app/748490/discussions/1/1698293255125396221/

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So I just finished Ys 8 half an hour ago and I feel a bit conflicted.

Gameplay wise I enjoyed it a lot. Exploring the island was surprisingly fun and the combat has just enough variety and necessity for reacting to enemy patterns to stay engaging throughout, at least as long as you don't spam healing items. I'm not sure if the free-moving camera is actually a positive change, I feel like I got blindsided a lot more often than in other Ys games, but I suppose it worked well enough. I'm also not sure if it really makes sense to have both Flash Guard and Flash Move as mechanics in the same game, but okay, whatever.

I also enjoyed the characters, they develop your little village well enough and it's good to have people reacting to recent events or whatever. This is clearly Trails rubbing off, it's cool.

But... I don't quite know about the story.

So I actually enjoyed most of it until the last act. All the village stuff for trying to figure out how to get off the island, and events that happen during that, that's cool. The thing with the Adol-Dana connection and her doing things in the past affecting present stuff was not entirely logical but sure, whatever, it works. Ancient advanced civilization, okay, I feel like they actually grounded this a lot more than most JRPGs tend to so that's fine. But I think they really dropped the ball on the last act. The whole concept about several civilizations existing before who then got wiped out is neat, but in execution it kinda fell flat, since you only get to see a single person from each of them and the few lines of backstory they throw at you are kinda whatever. Except for Sarai they really didn't even do anything and could just as well not have existed -- and hell, nothing would be different at all if Sarai was just a regular Eternian and died with the rest of them, either. The whole Wardens of Evolution plotpoint in general feels a bit haphazard because it doesn't really amount to anything except giving an explanation for how Dana is in the present. Likewise, the Seren Garden and the species' psyches seem super nonsense after they explicitly tell you several times that, no, you can't prevent this, it's literally impossible, don't even bother. Oh but wait one of us created a thing that can prevent it? Bah.

I dunno, the entire last act, and especially the stuff that happens after you murder the Lacrimosa dragon (the epilogue), really feels like they wrote themselves into a corner and had to do *something* to resolve it, and I don't think it worked out particularly well.

Do note that I played the Vita version, so if some of that happens to be addressed in the PS4 release, that's nice I guess.

Oh, and a few words on the new localization. It's fine, not great but mostly competent. There's still the occasional awkward line or typo but from what I've seen of the earlier localization it's a significant improvement over that. Still wish XSeed would have gotten it though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but somehow it seems ridiculous that the port is still bad after so many delays. What were they doing all this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Are you sure that's the same engine? There must have been at least significant updates to the engine between Celceta and 8 considering how much better the latter looks and runs on Vita.