Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I think I've played one save in England since getting every FM since 07. Think it was with Coventry a couple of season ago when they were absolutely hosed financially. It was a pretty fun game but I gave up once I had to sell basically my entire team.

I pretty much exclusively start in the second divisions of France, Spain, Germany and Italy. Preferably with one of the worst clubs in the division. That way you can usually get to a point where you can sign real talent and not just regens.

My last game on FM15 was with Huesca in the Spanish lower leagues. I completely recommend playing with them as they have a couple of really useful players for the division (former Arsenal youth player Fran Merida and your captain and best player in the league Juanjo Camacho), nice kits, a tiny stadium and lovely facilities.

Camacho is an absolute machine though. He's like 33 or 34 and an attacking midfielder with a ludicrous shot. Pretty sure he score about 26 goals from midfield and almost all of them were from range or dead balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

You know you're on to a sweet tactic when your under 21 beats you in the first friendly of the season :downs:

It actually really fucks me off when that happens as they're supposed to mirror your tactics so how the gently caress do they win when they have a bunch of retards playing for them.

Anyway, finally starting my first proper game in FM16 with Freiburg. They've got a really talented team for a division two side so I should theoretically be promoted. The only thing stopping me is the fact I haven't played FM16 and don't know how the match engine works this time around and RB Leipzig.

Any tips tactics wise?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

What the gently caress. I've made four completely different tactics, all of which are based on poo poo that's worked over the years for me, and I've lost every time to my loving reserve team. I haven't even scored a goal against them!

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Is control suddenly the shittiest thing ever?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

Depends. What do you imagine Control actually does?

It's one of the most misleading labels in the game ftw.

I normally play a 4-5-1 with either an attacking midfielder or defensive one depending on who is available. I usually play a slow tempo and try hold onto possession but for some reason my team seems absolutely incapable of that no matter what I do. My reserve team is total gash as well but they have more possession, more clear cut chances, more shots, and win every time. I've tried going with two up front, five at the back...all sorts of things and still the same poo poo happens. I can appreciate that I'm doing something wrong tactically but it makes no loving sense to me how I can be consistently outplayed by a far FAR inferior team using the same loving tactic I'm using.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

If you're using control then that's the problem.

Control is a fast-paced, risk-taking mentality (the team tries to control the game by being aggressive and forcing the other team back until you get countered and concede over and over). Slightly less-so than Attacking, but with longer passing out of defence for some reason. It's a garbage setting.

If you want patient possession play you should be using Counter or Defensive. Then add some short passing instructions for the defence if you're seeing too much hoofing.

Hmm I'll give that a go then. I've never had a problem using control in the past- it's been my default.

I just downloaded a good tactic to see how that fared and I'm still getting beaten by my reserves. What the gently caress.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Nine games in a row losing the reserves. One goal scored :downs:

Is this version completely different to past versions?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Twelve games now without beating my reserves. This is ridiculous.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lol someone load up there most ridiculous winning tactic and I guarantee it will be no match for my Freiburg reserves manager who has gone 14 games undefeated against me. This version is loving retarded.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Well after almost twenty loving attempts I think I finally stumbled upon something that works. I still didn't beat my reserves but drew 1-1, made some alterations, and have now won my last four games with a 17-1 goal difference.

I have players out injured so a few are out of position but that's the general gist of it. I was having issues scoring with all my other tactics but playing with two shadow strikers has changed everything.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Well I think I might be on to something here. Won my first league game 6-0 against a promotion hopeful. Also had 62% possession and restricted them to no shots on target.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Does anyone have a good wingerless tactic? I've just started with Cagliari and they have one (poo poo) winger.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shroud posted:

You can always try 4-2-2-2, 3-5-2, 5-3-2, and/or the 4-1-2-1-2.

Yeah the 4-1-2-1-2 was my go to in a few of the previous versions but I'm having very little luck getting it to function so far. Fullbacks are getting isolated and either hit bad crosses or shoot from stupid angles.

I have a really good deep lying midfielder/regista amd would love to use him as a Pirlo type but it seems hard to get it working well in the match engine. Also what's the best combination using two strikers?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shroud posted:

I usually only play with one forward, but I'd imagine you could do the big man/little man combo effectively. Just don't bother with the Target Man roles, though. The engine takes that to mean that all your players should hoof it up to him a lot more than you like. Maybe try CF/DLF/DF/F9/T with an AF or Poacher? I hate to say it, but it's going to depend on your tactics. If you have fullbacks with good crossing, try an AF or Poacher if he has good Jumping/Heading.

Alternatively, look at why your fullbacks are making bad decisions. If they're isolated, try changing the roles around them to give them options. Another option would be to bump up your Team Shape to Fluid or Very Fluid, since it will compress your team's shape.

Two other options are setting your Width to Narrow/Fairly Narrow, or using fullback roles that let you tell them to Sit Narrower.

For the DLP/Regista, it can work, but you're going to need to find a way to protect your back line when they go wandering up the field. Try partnering him with a DM or Anchorman and see if that helps.

Awesome, thanks!

Cagliari have a really strange make up of players so it's an interesting problem to get a suitable tactic going. They have two excellent playmakers, a quality striker and a promising target man but I'm struggling to incorporate them into a workable shape. I think you're right about the TM role though and that is most likely the explanation for the full back behaviour.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

If you're not using wingers you still need width, both in attack and to support your full-backs when defending.

A flat 3 in midfield with aggressive closing down instructions for the outer midfielders can work. As can a formation with a half-back, which allows the centrebacks to split and close down out wide.

Yeah I've used the halfback role since it was introduced for precisely that reason. Most underrated position imo.

So here is what I'm thinking for my tactic. This shape was the business in fm15 and fm14 for me so hopefully it can somewhat work on 16.

GK (def)
CB (def) CB (def)
WB (at) HB (def) WB (at)
DLP (sup) APM (at)
AM (sup)
AF (at) TM (su)

* I'm only going on what people say about wingbacks in this version- normally I'd set them to support.
* Cagliari have two great playmakers. One is a natural DM and the other can play DM and CM. Seeing as neither are great defensively I figure it's best to play them as central midfielders.
* Not sure how to use my attacking midfielder but will alter based on what I see.
* The two attackers are causing me the biggest problems. I can't seem to score regularly, especially with Sau who looks great on paper. Not sure on the best combinations.
* Tactics wise I've gone with control and fluid as I should be technically better than most of the teams in the division and have a lot of players centrally to dominate possession.

Any obvious flaws here? Tips?

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

SUCK MY DICK RESERVES! loving FINALLY.

I ended up changing my TM to a F9 and he scored a hattrick (despite having all the stats a target man should). Actually ended up having only fifty percent possession but finally managed to score some goals.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

- Move your wingbacks back into the defensive line. No need for them to defend so high. They'll attack in the same way.
- 'Control' is for direct clogger teams. If you want to dominate possession play Defensive or Counter which are more patient approaches.
- Big space between the back and front halves of your team. Luckily the Target Man will attract long balls.
- No one is overlapping the Target Man from midfield. His only support is way ahead of him.
- AP-A and AM-S will stand in the same place waiting for the ball.

This was the first time my fullbacks/wing backs weren't complete gash so I night leave them there for the time being.

Will play around with control/counter/defensive but have been reasonably happy so far with the former.

I think using the target man role was the bane of all my problems tbh. Changing to a f9 did wonders.

Definitely agree with the attacking midfielder issue though. Will put him on attack for the next game and see if that helps. He's been anonymous so far.

Half backs are the real sweepers in my opinion. Definitely my favourite position as you can actually see him doing precisely what he should be doing on the match engine.

Re Leicester; Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater and Kante are going to be bumped up for sure. Liverpool should get downgraded plenty tbh.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

It's possible that you simply don't need a player in that hole when you have two strikers, one of whom drops off the front, and an advancing playmaker.

Where would you use the extra player? He's not that great anyway so it wouldn't be much of a loss but Cagliari aren't exactly choc full of quality players.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'm not going to play this till the next patch comes out. I normally don't buy it until now and now I remember why.

The match engine is hosed.

- I consistently concede from deep crosses to the back post. Neither my keeper nor my defenders look to intercept what so ever and it results in taps ins.
- I've beaten my reserves maybe three times in twenty plus games with a variety of created and downloaded tactics. What kind of realism is that?
- Fullbacks get retardedly high ratings and are making the most passes/key passes. This isn't right.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

euroboy posted:

The game was 50% off this weekend so I bought it. I barely played 15 so I'm kinda excited to play a new FM. Any recommendations for transfer updates and other custom stuff?

Don't play it until the next patch comes out. Should be soon thankfully.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah Cleon is a bitch.

Also you can never ever have a legitimate problem on the SI forums.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I'm looking forward to the January update fixing nothing.

Just give me last years engine with this years database.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

It's very easy to exploit which is why Cleon loves it. His expert tactical advice seems more legit when he can post a winning record with any team and approach (as long as it uses the wings heavily).

Certain mods admit to smaller issues being actual problems. There's a big difference between the guys who consider the job a pr position and those that got it as a result of being celebrity tactics gurus. The latter spend more time defending their status (and therefore the game) than actually being helpful.

Wait...I thought you said you weren't buying this version? ;)

When is this stupid game getting the last patch anyway?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I thought lasts years match engine was great. I could get a variety of shapes and styles functioning well. This version it seems like you have to use wingers and very specific set ups for your full backs. Have to say I haven't really enjoyed this one at all.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

FM15 was one of the best imo. Match engine was good and you could get a lot of different tactics functioning in different ways. In this version it seems like there is a really limited amount of ways you can actually set up without being thrashed.

Speaking of thrashed I'm getting hosed up in Serie A after winning Serie B with Cagliari. I absolutely wrecked the league winning it with record points but even though I signed some great players (Donnarumma, Mammana, Bentacur) I'm really struggling. I like that this version is a little harder in that respect as I used to find it a bit easy to get into Europe after being promoted but it's frustrating that I can't quite work out what I'm doing wrong.

Has anyone got any good tactics that don't rely on a million crosses or gets scored on by a million crosses?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'm doing quite well now and should push for a Euro League place in my first season after being promoted from Serie B. I'm still reliant on my inside forwards and fullbacks to put in crosses but I've had a few nice chipped balls over the top for the striker/inside forward to run onto goals.

Tactically I'm playing a 4-5-1 with a defensive midfielder, box to box, and a advanced playmaker in midfield (although all three have far better technical and attacking stats than defence orientated ones). Up front I have two inside forwards and a defensive forward. The idea was to have my attacking player holding up the ball and playing in the inside forwards but target men never seem to operate quite how I'd like so gave a defensive forward a try. Seems to be working well even though I don't have a great striker and he's not really suited to that role. Also playing an attacking mentality which is giving me less possession but a lot more goals.

I really want to use a few of the more interesting roles and go back to making weird or historical tactics but this version doesn't have much wiggle room unfortunately.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Complete Forward - Support worked pretty well in 16.2 to do what you're describing from a front man, not sure if it works as well post patch though

I actually just finished 3rd in my first season after being promoted!

Bought fat Destro to score some goals in the Champions League.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

I agree, this is the least fun version I've ever played and it's all because of the terrible match engine

I also agree.

I've found one tactic that works for me and have stuck to it as everything else I try results in conceding to crosses all the time.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

This thread is dead but I just want to come in and gloat as I just pulled a Leicester.

Took over Red Star in Ligue 2. Expected to finish lower mid table. Ran away with the league and got promoted despite only signing one player (in January). Second season started poorly before a great run at the end saw us come in fifth spot grabbing a Euro spot. Third season. We qualify for the group stage but get a hard group (Feyenoord, Fenerbahce, and a tycoon owned Braga) and come in third and are knocked out. Go on a cup run and win the French League Cup and then went on and won the league by four points despite PSG doing their normal thing and buying everyone.

Craziest thing about this is I really didn't have any money. My most expensive player was Morgan Sanson who I picked up for 6.5 million pounds from relegated Montpellier (who was our player of the year, young player of the year and has just been called up for the World Cup squad) but after that the next was 3 million and 2.5 million. To sign these guys I had to sell the better players in my team too. I thought I was going to gently caress it all up when my striker, Emmanual Emenike (on a free after basically not playing for two seasons), did his Achilles and would be out for 5 months. He'd banged home 28 in 39 starts and was on absolute fire. Fortunately my back up managed to score a few goals in the last five or so games to help clinch the title. Probably my biggest achievement in all my years playing FM.

It was strange, as soon as I won the title pretty much all my players values rocketed.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I play the same team almost every game and have a squad of about twenty. I always have a happy squad and don't seem to get a lot of injuries.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

If you want a good tactic I can give you one. It's not great on possession but it will score goals and not concede those insanely frustrating ones from deep crosses. I won the league with Red Star (Ligue 1) in the third season (promoted, 5th, title) which is loving ridiculous given the team I had and the fact PSG were around.

Currently using it with Sporting in Spain. First season I came fourth and qualified for Champions League despite being picks for relegation.

http://imgur.com/a/W16ez

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Waroduce posted:

what the gently caress is "thinks he should work on shooting"?

i switched this guys training to finishing but he's still bitching about it

Don't listen to your coaches or players, they don't know poo poo. Just get good coaches and have them each training their one thing they're good at. Have all your players training what role they're playing (and specialize in something if they need it).

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I've bought it every year since 07 I think because I'm retarded.

I'm looking forward to the next one as I only really had one functional tactic working on FM16 and got pretty bored of using it all the time. Had one great long term save though so probably got my money's worth. Just hope they fix the fullback issues. All I want is to be able to make different and interesting tactics that will eventually work with fine tuning.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Cheapest place to buy FM17 atm? It's like $85NZ here which is about normal but I'm trying to be cheap for once.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lol.

I never play in England so don't deal with the work permits thing.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Levante is a pretty fun side to manage. Lots of depth and a good squad for the division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I managed to make a couple of tactics that over-perform and now this game is kinda ruined. I have two saves; one with Foggia (who I recommend as they have a decent squad for the division and players with lots of PPM's) where I've been promoted two seasons in a row then came seventh in my first season in Serie A. I'm now first after the first seven games in my fourth season and don't look like being beaten at all. My best player, Pietro Iemmello, is average at best but has banged in sixty goals in the last two seasons. I'm playing a pretty standard 4-5-1 with two inside forwards and a false nine. It's become boring though as I don't need to change anything to get results. My other save is with Lugo in Spain. I came seventh first season and got promoted the next but am now top with ten games played in my third season in La Liga. I have a tiny squad and often have to play players out of position but it doesn't seem to effect my results at all. I've lost all interest in this save too given how easy it's become.

I'm trying to start a new game and base my tactic around a target man but it seems nothing I do can get it functioning properly. Anyone had any luck?