Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
How's the fantasy draft mini mode? I'm guessing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
For the first time ever in 4+ years of playing, I have TWO 5-star players on my MLS side. One I developed, and a Canadian regen who grew up in Norway (?). Go figure.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Telex posted:

Most MLS teams have rosters made up entirely of garbage, one youth player that's above average, and 1-2 DP signings that may or may not be worth half a poo poo the season after they're signed.

No teams have 5*'s relative to your or their squads. Even if they did, they'd last half a season before getting bought by a team in Qatar or some oil-rich owners in a small league.

Yeah I was forced to sell them both for over $10m each to Everton and Swansea respectively.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I've been dominating the MLS for a decade in my 2015 save. Now I'm just screwing around with insane formations. Currently in leading the league with a 3-5-2 where the 5 is four attacking midfielders and a DM.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

You know what? Costa Rica A and Mexico A are just too busy this year. Let's send the B teams to Copa America.

??????????????????

??

Was it in the same year as the Gold Cup?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

The MLS is basically easy mode FM after one or two seasons. I'm basically selling two people every year for 8m+ while bringing in 3-4 random wonder kids and filling out most of the USMNT roster.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Telex posted:

Because it's relative to the average talent in the league and MLS is regarded as a pretty low quality league in the game, so you can crush it prettty easily with scrubs from other leagues.

The draft doesn't help much since it floods in a lot of low quality talent and lowers the bar for everyone else, without actually raising the quality of the teams.

It's messed up but easily exploitable.

For the MLS, the draft will give you excellent prospects for the top five picks and total trash elsewhere. Clubs though will sign and play those garbage players, so be smart, trade your picks, and sign cheap Brazilians and Argentinians.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Shazback posted:

Trading everything but your first draft pick for international spots is the way to go. Line up 9 Mexican and South American players each game, turn the league into easy mode. Also, keep an eye out for players that are signed to low wage contracts then put on the waivers. Sometimes you can get pretty great players this way. I'm also a big fan of selling my best players every other season or so in order to keep my wage under control. It's annoying because, well, that 21 year old Venezuelan is great (for the MLS), and 200 000 £ is way too low, but for the wages he wants you can take on three or four 19 year olds that can be just as good.

IMO. Sassasin probably has a better way of dominating the MLS.

Yeah watching the waiver wire is key too, especially for positions like DM and fullback. By your 2nd or 3rd year, you should have a huge coaching staff too, relative to other MLS teams, so your youth will become very good very fast, and MLS teams will slowly drop in quality. MLS teams rely heavily on their DP signing, and some are too stupid to sign anyone worth a poo poo.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

Nevermind, loving finally

Maybe I can stop playing this game now. gently caress.

Not pictured: 2 invincible seasons, 75 league games without losing, won the league by 15+ points basically every season.

The winning first team: 4 Argentinians, 5 Brazilians, 1 Englishman, 1 Dutchman.

Would never have been possible without Instant Result, of course.

I like seeing stuff like this. I just FINALLY won the Club World Cup with NYCFC after years of trying. Eat poo poo Man United.

The winning first team: 5 Americans (GK + 3 CBs + DM), 1 Chilean, 1 Welshman, 2 Brazilians, 1 Argentinian

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

sassassin posted:

Was Fifa any good this year?

No. I sold my copy after two months. Truly it was poo poo.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

jyrka posted:

Unwanted List is the shittest feature ever. If I add, say, 15 players to it, the DoF will cycle through them one by one taking months rather than getting to them all at the same time, which is what would happen in reality.

Same thing with transfer targets. Only about 1 in 20 works, but when I negotiate manually it works 50% of the time every time.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

In FM 2015 I've been playing weird three-CB back line formations for about ten seasons in the MLS. There's no such thing as good fullbacks at this level, or at least I've never seen an American with both 10+ in crossing, dribbling, marking, and tackling. I also change my formation yearly, just because.

Here's what I'm running in 2022 for both an MLS squad and the USMNT.

code:

AF-A  P-A
      AP-S
WM-S CM-D CM-S W-S

CD-D BPD-D CD-D
      GK-S

Sometimes I bump a striker back to create a ball winning defensive midfielder if I need more defense. Generally all my goals are scored by the wingers causing havoc or any of the three central mids doing some creative magicy stuff. And no, I rarely allow goals. Most of my budget is tied up in the best four central defenders and keeper in the league.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 4, 2016

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I just made it to the world coaching hall of fame or whatever the gently caress it's called after 8 seasons in the MLS. Look at me go :toot:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Just had 13 players selected for the MLS All-Star Game... including all 6 midfielders. :toot:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

gtkor posted:

With lower league players, is it just basically give them extra focus on like speed, stamina and strength? None of my guys can do much more than fall over, and it is not like they can ever really train as semi-pro.

How lower are you talking? Even in the MLS, wingers with 17+ pace and acceleration and defenders with 17+ strength and jumping can dominate given the right tactics.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

im gay posted:

How do I get match fitness for my subs if I don't have a reserve team?

Schedule friendlies and only play the scrubs.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Its ok the first time i played fm i almost got arsenal relegated first season

My first season playing I didn't realize there was team registration in the MLS and accidentally waived half my starting lineup.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Agreed that myCareer is totally sick and awesome.

The GM mode is pretty broken easy. You should have a team of all stars by the end of your first season, the best ten players in the league by year two. The AI is insanely bad with trades and understanding contracts. Not worth it if you want to sim things. But it's still sick as hell if you just want to dunk some AI fools.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Just signed Gareth Bale for his MLS retirement tour :toot:

Fake edit: also got invited to come to Europe as the sacrificial lamb for Hazard's testimonial.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I have a question. I manage both a club and a national team. I've noticed something about my national team players. Here's an example: a regen debuts for LA Galaxy at 18 and dominates MLS for about 4 seasons. He's also incredible at the national team level, starting as a MC. He then gets bought by a team in Ligue 1 and is merely ok, putting up average ratings of about 6.7-6.9 (compared to 7.4-7.8 in MLS). With his move to France, he suddenly started playing like dogshit for the national team too.

What the hell? Surely he's still the same player, maybe even a little better after playing with a higher level of competition? Is there some hidden stat that makes players poo poo if they aren't great at a club level?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

eleven extra elephants posted:

Anybody got any successful weirder tactics? Specifically looking for target man ones since I can never make them work.

If you don't already know btw 343 or 3412 and IWBs seem to be the new broken thing in the ME. Also triple Shadow Strikers work incredibly well, if you have anybody with pace they'll be cutting through the defence easily.

My personal challenge was to keep winning the MLS with progressively weirder tactics. Here's a few I used in order.

4-2-2-2 Narrow
3-2-4-1 (two DM, four across the middle)
3-4-2-1
3-3-2-2
2-2-2-2-2 (2 DC, 2 DM, 2 CM, 2 AMRL, 2 ST)

In the end, I had two center backs incredibly fast and strong in the air plus two defensive mids set to track down every winger and smash their knees. It worked well enough, especially given I'd score at least 3 a game with my army of Brazilian and Argentinian regens.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Question about team and league reputation. Is there a hard cap for some leagues? And how does this affect player value? I've won he MLS for a decade, and the concacaf champions league, and even the dumb international champions cup or whatever it's called, and still my players top out at $6.5m in value.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Is there a way either in-game or in FM Genie to search for every player who ever played for my club? I've had a world-class GK for 12 years and rotate through young backups, only for them to be signed away by others in my division. I want to be able to search for these former GK damnit.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Can hidden stats like consistency change over time?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Fat Lowtax posted:

It doesn't look like he came from an MLS club academy, but they'll produce players with straight up random second nationalities. Like all the tiny islands, Crimea, Mongolia, Zanzibar, everything

My best keeper for an MLS team was American/Sri Lankan.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Does national team performance have an in-game impact on player value? It seems to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

FM 2018 is 50% off on steam btw.

I just bought it and holy poo poo what is up with the laggy menus? Thus far, it's basically unplayable because of the lag (and I have a pretty solid gaming comp). There's got to be a fix or something I'm overlooking.