Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's your tactics, mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Mandalay posted:

game is good

Nice post/avatar combo!!1

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

What's up with young high potential players having their determination plummet for no apparent reason? Anyone else seeing this?

poo poo tutors?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Inverting the Pyramid is great but has a high chance of causing you to implement outdated tactics with minimal success and get fired.

The Verrou will not work in 2017 (probably)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

I managed to win Euro 2012 on (I think) FM10 with my dumb Pro Evo tactic which is kind of similar. One CB, two defensive FBs, two anchor men, a B2B CM, a Trequartista in the AM position with a poacher and two inside forwards. It was great fun and Nathan Delfouneso scored me the winning goal IIRC. FM11 was a bit smarter and any AI team would score a hatful from crosses against me.

Your tactic was hot garbage and got me fired from Newcastle before Christmas

Actually maybe Newcastle are just terrible, who can say?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

He's real fast and bad at working out which side of him a person who tapped his shoulder is standing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

7 (Seven) English Pounds.

Picked it up earlier after skipping 2016. What's new apart from the goofy manager designer?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

I'm glad we won and all that but on this evidence, it looks like after 15 years playing this game I'm a worse manager than random chance.

This checks out

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Grrrr

e: That's a shocking first post on a new page, for an update we had the team bottom of the league come to town, we went 3-0 up in 20 minutes again and my striker scored 5 and got concussed.
New youth intake! No good strikers or defensive mids, which is where I'm thin (youth intake only challenge) but a potential Prem-quality DC who is big and tough unlike all the ball-playing types I have.

Turn one of your more ballin' DCs into a DM?

I don't have the patience or the time for challenge games these days really. I still like the idea of only signing players who have you as their favoured club (or manager). Maybe include your senior players and coaching staff in that too, I don't know. The scouting for it would be a mess but you should end up with ludicrous levels of team spirit.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Mentals are the problem there. Stick him at wing back and have him run forever in an extremely Antonio Valencia way.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Wingbacks and Inside Forwards might be alright.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Aren't stats actually out of 100 and the 1-20 is a slight abstraction?

16 is still strictly better than 15 but not necessarily by 5%

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Four. Four. loving. Two.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

I want to say it was the Younghusbands, formerly of Chelsea.

Yeah that sounds right.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

18 Heading? Not surprised with that loving fivehead.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

mouth looks like an arsehole

Turn your screen on haha

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

All you need now is a skin that makes it look even more like a spreadsheet.

About ten years ago I definitely remember using a version of FM that was a straight-up spreadsheet. It was sort of not very fun, but did give you imaginary football results after a bit of fiddling.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Manage Rapid Vienna and only sign players with at least 17 in Pace and Acceleration.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

omg this is even better than having your 2 scouts be Barry and Alex Hunter and only signing players called Barry and Alex

I thought about doing this but also allowing myself to sign anyone with the surname Hunt or Hunter with the hope of convincing them to be scouts when they retired. Then I realised it was a stupid loving idea.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

:justpost:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

FM11 1834 hours
FM12 1255 hours
FM13 868 hours
FM14 40 hours
FM15 1061 hours
FM16 n/a
FM17 151 hours

Earlier non-Steam editions - probably even more than FM11 while I was at uni.

Help me, I'm sick.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

When I was racking up the big hours it was usually while hanging out with my uni flatmate, half-playing FM and half-watching some tv show or other. I play every game but don't necessarily pay that much attention.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Oscar Ustari in FM08 I think was the best goalkeeper ever.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Rory Delap long thrower extraordinaire was a weird episode in football. Towel undershirts and giving away corners instead of long throws and Wenger demanding kick-ins and touchline/advertising hoardings shenanigans.

What a time to be alive.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

So in my career game in FM17 I started out unemployed with Sunday League experiene,, got a job at Worcester City, managed to get them promoted via playoffs in my first full season and consolidate in the next league the year after that. Jumped ship to Shamrock in Ireland halfway through the following season and somehow pulled off an unbeaten domestic season (January to December) in league and cups.

That led to me being offered the Ireland international job out of the blue, which seems unlikely but not impossible. The weird part came a month later, before I'd even played a game for Ireland, when I got a message from Denmark offering me their job. Definitely can't see the logic there, even with my presumably enhanced reputation from the Ireland appointment.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

kingturnip posted:

No, I did once work out that they had a net transfer spend of over £1bn over the course of about 15 seasons in one of my saves, though.

Honestly that seems conservative, no way they aren't spending at least £1bn over the next 15 years.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Obliterati posted:

I'm certain there was a football management game in the early naughts that let you bribe opponents to throw the game (which could be leaked to the media) but I can't remember which it was

Ultimate Soccer Manager (2)

It also had a cool set piece creator where you could tell your players to punt it at goal direct from the kickoff and a weird in depth training planner and all sorts of cool poo poo. It was ahead of its time in a lot of ways when CM was still text only.

e: this was back in the mid-late 90s so might not be the one you're thinking of.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Back in my day text was all we had.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

It probably actually is, I just took my assman's advice, we're now mauling the league leaders away from home, we've had 3 clear cut chances to 1 half chance but unfortunately are only 1-0 up.

I know what's coming.

e: Went 2-0 up, had man sent off, went down to 2-2, had another man sent off, conceded again, ragequit. I think I've hit every classic FM trope in the 8 league games I've played. I'll go back and take the loss eventually but I've really not enjoyed this save other than transfer market stuff.

I can't manage big sides for some reason, I've taken conference clubs to European trophies and stuff but if I take over a big side I tend to fail terribly.

Remember when I got fired from Newcastle before Christmas trying to use your ridiculous pro evolution tactic with an old as balls Sol Campbell at centre back?

Good times.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Shroud posted:

Get your wallets ready, gentlemen. FM 2019 is up for pre-purchase. Hilariously enough, the Steam page doesn't list a single new feature other than the Bundesliga being licensed.

Not having to dick around deleting those fake.lnc files is worth it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

FM 2018 is £9.49 on the Humble store

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Ah, the Ferguson strategy

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

4-4-loving-2

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

I wonder what Ched Evans' personality is/was.

Good Lad Who Means Well

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Plays one-twos

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Masonity posted:

I've just had the most ridiculous regen ever appear...

He's insane. I need to get him in a mentoring group with some good guys urgently, but this kid is already good enough to sit on most benches. I'm going to have to play him from day 1 (regen day happens to be a match day, so literally!) and see if I can't get 20 seasons out of him.

Pele challenge, 1000 career goals.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

I had to google what 10 stone is in real measurements and he's gotta be lankier than Crouch

As someone who was under 10 stone and over 6 foot tall as a 15 year old, can confirm.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

That's been a problem in FM forever, I have strong memories of Spain refusing to play my beast of a Basque regen who was hitting a goal a game while leading Athletic to multiple La Ligas and the CL because they preferred a thirty-something Villa/Torres combo. In FM 2012 or something

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bullshit, I don't think I've ever even got the double hat trick achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I think it makes you slightly less likely to be sacked as they'd have to pay you off.